• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread (UPDATE: launch trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is implying that at all that she's a cis woman.
Well it's certainly not implying she is trans either.

It's basically Vivian saying "Are we not sisters??" "Do you not consider me a sister" and then Beldam going "The three shadow -- RELATIONSHIP WITHHELD"

It's focused on their "relationship" the familial aspect and Beldam disowning her.

Nintendo removed all references to anything gender related.... it's sad.

I'll wait and see the full version but this does not inspire confidence.

It's basically Vivian saying "Are we not sisters??" "Do you not consider me a sister" and then Beldam going "The three shadow -- RELATIONSHIP WITHHELD"

It's focused on their "relationship" the familial aspect and Beldam disowning her.

We'll see, but I really think it's the opposite here. It was heavily implied that all of the script was gonna be faithful to the Japanese script.

Last edited:

Meh, I'll reiterate what I said before; I don't think that it's that bad to go with the original English localisation approach of just not mentioning it in the first place. Vivian is far more defined by how the game is carelessly transphobic to her, even if it's trying to be sympathetic to her. You can't exactly "salvage" her narrative without seriously rewriting her arc because if you just change everything except for Beldam, the ending of her story becomes a complete mess with far worse implications.

It also escalates Beldam from being a minor jerkass side-villain to the X-Nauts into someone who is going to be perceived by players as way worse than how the story wants her to be seen. (If you're familiar with tropes, Nintendo is probably trying to avoid Jerks are Worse than Villains here.)

To be fair she is a pretty serious villain. The shadows are related to the Shadow Queen IIRC.

Could be wrong.
Yeah, Beldam is pulling one over on Grodus during the game to get him to unseal the Shadow Queen. The thing is, the Shadow Queen is almost comically evil;
she's a generic BBEG. What Beldam does here to unseal her is bad, but it's a type of bad that is... much easier to forgive. Which the game does; Vivian goes back to live with them and Beldam gets away under the promise she won't do it again.

That ending wouldn't work if Beldams main form of jerkassery was her being a transphobe.

---
Think of it like a villain who proclaims he wants to throw a nuke on a populated city; you know that's bad because throwing a nuke is bad since lots of people die, but for most people this isn't a type of awful that will hit them personally. It's a distant kind of evil, so if the villain gets forgiven pretty easily and gets a redemption arc, it's something audiences can generally be "okay" with. It's the sort of villain that works well for illustrating personal growth.

Now take another villain, but this one is largely characterised by him being abusive to his wife. If this villain gets forgiven, you can be assured that about... 70% of the audience will think less of your writing capability and may start suspecting that your opinions towards women aren't savoury. Why? Because "hitting your wife" is a type of evil that people will often be able to recognise as bad because they or someone close to them probably has experienced something like that in the past. It's a much more guttural evil, which is why villains that characterised in this way usually don't get redemption arcs. The best they can fish for are "redemption = death" moments and even then that moment will spark endless amounts of arguments.

That's what Nintendo is trying to avoid - Beldam is supposed to be forgiven for her actions at the end of the game, but the original Japanese text puts her in a position where her being forgiven isn't something most audiences can stomach, especially not nowadays. Her insults are meant to be far less worse than that.

Last edited:
I immediately read Vivian's line as "sister, as opposed to brother", like an incidental gender euphoria moment, which admittedly seems unlikely. But "relation withheld" sounds less like an outright denial of relation and more specifically "you're not my sister", or just a funny petty way of shutting down the name Vivian likes for the group for no real reason, like "that's not important you idiot!" Which feels the most like Beldam to me, but I don't know exactly how much the English version changed her character from the original script so maybe my perception of her is a little off.

The ugly thing they went with worked really elegantly though because Beldam's whole behavior is like the type of person where every accusation is shameless projection, with the way she blames Vivian whenever she makes a mistake. So "you're the ugly one" being an obvious inversion of the truth makes a lot of sense with that. There's not a reason for her target to be Vivian specifically apart from maybe petty jealousy or something, but it's not like abusers need a reason.

If they don't want to address the trans subject at all then I think it's a shame they abandoned this angle and I would wonder why they did all this rewriting, because I have a hard time seeing any of the other possibilities mentioned working as well.

It's an odd idea, but since it's being talked about I guess another weird possibility is wanting to tone the character way down specifically for the ending? Not sure why that'd be easier than just rewriting that one aspect to be better, but...

She's still a pretty horrible person in the English translation, I've always thought it was kind of weird. Beldam never gets punished or gives us any reason for her to apologize or for us to believe she's going to be a better person, so it's just odd that they went that route with zero justification.

It's valuable to have access to the original even if it has less appeal to a massive audience than a shiny remake/remaster. Link's Awakening DX is still available, as well as FF7, etc despite the fact their remakes are front and forward.

SMRPG is being held back by red tape, but Gamecube games are being held back by tech reasons and economic.

But I'm coming at it from a historical POV rather than 60 FPS silliness.

Oh wow. Is that drastically different from how the original Spanish version handled it? Good sign if so.
Yes, it's pretty different. Beldam's original line in the Spanish script is:
¿Y de dónde te has sacado eso de hermanas? ¡Pero si tú eres un hombre!
Which roughly translates as "And where did you get sisters from that? You are a man!" (Red text is from the game, not something I'm adding.)

We'll see, but I really think it's the opposite here. It was heavily implied that all of the script was gonna be faithful to the Japanese script.
Which Japanese script? The original Spanish line is faithful to the original Japanese. Given that it changed, I think that's a sign the Japanese script also changed.

At this stage, I'm gonna repeat a point I made earlier:
Ultimately, the Chapter 2 dialogue is only part of the story with Vivian and may not give a complete idea on how she's being handled (especially if the reviewer didn't opt to Tattle - which they may not have, especially considering the next point), so they may just be staying away from touching it until they can talk about the full picture.
As others have pointed out, while the English script erasing Vivain's identity as trans was disappointing, the original Japanese was rather transphobic (beyond Beldam, the game's own tone echoed that) and had its own issues. They're likely not changing the fact that Vivian rejoins the Three Shadows at the end of the game, which would make keeping Beldam as vehemently transphobic kinda... odd. They could be rewriting Beldam to be just mean while keeping Vivian as trans, while also removing the problematic lines from Goombella (and the Tattle log? I dont' quite remember).

On the flip side though, the transphobic lines are the only reason Vivian is confirmed to be trans in the first place, so removing all of them outright without changing much else just leave's Vivian's identity as an implication rather than an outright stated thing. I wouldn't be shocked to see Nintendo go that route, for better or worse, as leaving things open to interpretation is likely something they see as a safer move.

Yeah, the transphobic lines are kinda the only reason we know of Vivian's identity in the first place. But it being rewritten doesn't necessarily mean that would be the equivalent of turning Vivian Cis like in the original translation.

I'm not sure I'd expect more of Nintendo, but a few extra lines of Vivian could at least hint in that direction with her meeting with Shadow Mario, or maybe extra lines added to the ending dungeon. You know, for a pivotal moment of her queen being revived, Vivian does kinda disappear after the Doopliss chapter.

heard some peoples say they should also release the original as well for a "60 fps version" and I mean......I guess they could? That seems kinda silly though
I think they should just make all GameCube games available to buy, as well as other legacy titles. They’re not gonna do it obviously

I'm not holding out hope anymore.

The transphobic lines were to show how terrible Beldam is. It wasn't condoning it.
Kinda-sorta. The problem is that Beldam wasn't the only one with transphobic lines; in-game character descriptions not tied to any particular character also used masculine pronouns and insisted Vivian was a boy. The other problem was reconciling Beldam's transphobia with Vivian's ending; they kinda just... don't mix, and there isn't really time to give Beldam an arc to justify it in any way.

I'm not holding out hope anymore.

The transphobic lines were to show how terrible Beldam is. It wasn't condoning it.

Same for the catcalling Goombas among countless other things. It’s adding flavor to characters, but somewhere along the way entertainment companies all decided none of us are smart or mature enough to understand or handle anything. I won’t let it ruin the new game for me; it’s literally happening to everything everywhere, it’s just the expectation now.

I think Beldam's transphobia can be toned down and also Vivian can be explicitly trans. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Same for the catcalling Goombas among countless other things. It’s adding flavor to characters, but somewhere along the way entertainment companies all decided none of us are smart or mature enough to understand or handle anything. I won’t let it ruin the new game for me; it’s literally happening to everything everywhere, it’s just the expectation now.
The problem with that approach is that Vivian being trans was only expressed through insults and backhanded commentary. Which is especially not great in the current environment where politicians and others are waging war against trans healthcare and identity. Having Vivian be recognized as trans in 2024 solely through "edgy" 2004 dialogue that demeans her just isn't going to fly. Not because people can't handle it, but because it's just awful and makes Beldam come off as far worse than the devs' apparent intended portrayal.

I completely agree! There's a trend I'm noticing where younger people think a game containing any depictions of offensive content (e.g. a racist character) means the creators condone those views. Like.....no? That doesn't mean that. Bad characters with bad views should be allowed to exist. So long as those views aren't shown in a positive light it's fine.

Idk... I don't think they got rid of it because of the beldam's line..

I think they just wanted to get rid of any mention of her trans identity period. They think it's controversial and they got rid of it.

I'm not really giving them the benefit of the doubt until the game proves otherwise. To me it looks like she will be a cis gender woman in all versions of the game.

But we've yet to confirm. I am just not hopeful at all anymore.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but there are some screenshots of the Spanish localisation of the interaction between Beldam and Vivian:
Censura-Bibiana-Paper-Mario-Puerta-Milenaria-Nintendo-Switch-02.webp
Censura-Bibiana-Paper-Mario-Puerta-Milenaria-Nintendo-Switch-01.webp

This would roughly translate to:

Shortly after which I suppose we would then get this line from the English localisation:
vivian.png

Though at this point there's no way of knowing for sure how the entire scene will be handled in the English localisation, of course.

(Source for the Spanish screenshots: Nintendúo)
I was in the camp of "I did not expect them to make Vivian explicitly trans" because so much of that is dependent on depicting actual transphobia from a family member and I did not get the impression Nintendo was going to be comfortable depicting that in their Mario game.

It sounds like they might be going the route of "Vivian is trans but nobody says much of anything about it outside of moments where if you know, you know" which is non-committal... but at least it isn't them going out of their way to make her explicitly cis either. Granted, we know very little, they could always turn the tables when we see more down the line.

The dialogue from the Spanish version above is an interesting approach, but I think it still has some merit. Vivian expressing her enjoyment of being called Beldam's sister (something that affirms her gender identity) and Beldam refusing that by withholding their relationship (even if her justification is just that "it sounds less cool") is perhaps a bit less severe than the original depiction of Beldam's transphobia, but it still showcases the way in which Vivian is denied something that she feels is important to her identity that Beldam isn't willing to grant her. At the very least, I'd say that's an improvement over the original English where most of it was just Beldam calling Vivian ugly and a clutz.

Anyways, its hard to say more without knowing if the dialogue is the same in all regions + what might happen with her later down the line. Vivian is a very important character to me, so I am curious to see what else we might find out.

I think Beldam's transphobia can be toned down and also Vivian can be explicitly trans. They aren't mutually exclusive.
You're correct. But while I don't struggle to see Nintendo writing the transphobia out, I do struggle to see them writing in less problematic confirmation that she's trans. It's just not somewhere Nintendo's earned the benefit of the doubt; being non-committal is their MO in recent years.

It sounds like they might be going the route of "Vivian is trans but nobody says much of anything about it outside of moments where if you know, you know" which is non-committal... but at least it isn't them going out of their way to make her explicitly cis either.
This is what I'm expecting. The English script might leave it more to interpretation than it previously did, while the international text will go from pretty cut and dry to similarly vague. It'd be great to see otherwise, but I'm not hopeful.

As someone who has never played the original, when I read that updated dialogue (both Spanish and english), what I get is:

Vivian wishes her sister was more affectionate towards her, so she calling her "sister" would make her happy and mean a lot to her.

On the other hand, her sister is more worried about their business and wants people to be intimidated by them. It's more important for her that their name sounds threatening than to convey their family relationship, so she would rather the group call themselves "shadows" instead of "sisters".

I think that's the interpretation anyone with no prior knowledge would have from that dialogue. Of course there's text and subtext, and there definitely seems to be an intention of a subtext where, for the part of the audience that knows Vivian is trans, her line is also referring to having her gender identity respected, besides wanting to be closer to her sister.

I think that's how the localization will handle it overall, no direct mentions of Vivian being trans, but the subtext will be there if you already have that knowledge. Which is not a terrible solution, but isn't ideal either.

TBH, I'm not sure there IS an ideal solution. Do you swing for the fences but risk maximal transphobia from the characters (and yet another "my identity is defined by my suffering" story), or do you try to minimize the transphobia and in doing so leave Vivian's identity to the subtext? Neither seems a perfect solution, but the game's structure doesn't really allow for one.

TBH, I'm not sure there IS an ideal solution. Do you swing for the fences but risk maximal transphobia from the characters (and yet another "my identity is defined by my suffering" story), or do you try to minimize the transphobia and in doing so leave Vivian's identity to the subtext? Neither seems a perfect solution, but the game's structure doesn't really allow for one.
Probably the latter. As others have said, a straight translation of the original Japanese script wouldn't work these days without massive controversy. While that script includes the Shadow Sister's meanness to Vivian over her transgenderism, which could work if handled appropriately, the rest of the script treats the whole subplot as a 2000s JP "trap" joke rather than a serious plotline. Goombella's JP tattle is a good example.

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer to not see transphobia in my Nintendo games. There's enough of it in the real world as it is. Nintendo should imply/confirm it in other more positive ways or leave it up to audience interpretation.

Idk, I really like getting back at nasty villain characters. Makes the victory ever more sweeter.
That's ultimately not what happens since Vivian does go back to Beldam in the end.

Localizations will always have boundaries to work within. There's leeway, which is how differences like those between the 2004 JP and English scripts came about, but the new localization likely won't touch strongly on Vivian's trans identity if the JP script doesn't.

Beldam being awful and transphobic to Vivian, on paper, is a fairly interesting way to go about writing a villain, although the bluntness of it in the original JP script would definitely hit way too close to home to some of the audience.
I think, if done well, it'd come off as a neat found family story where Vivian finds people who accept her. I think a lot of people assume this is the case from the common internet factoid about Vivian being trans and Beldam being a terrible person.

However, I feel like people forget, or don't know, that the misgendering of Vivian continues to one of the only party members who has dialogue with her, being Goombella. Goombella is depicted as a good person, who's worst character trait is being jealous when people hit on Mario. She doesn't get a comeuppance like Beldam does, and she's the party member you have for the whole game, you're supposed to like her. It even continues into Super Paper Mario's cards, which aren't even written by any character in game.

They were never going to take dialogue surrounding Vivian to be unchanged from the Japanese release. It was not handled well, as much as people outside the game love Vivian for who she is. I think the new Spanish translation is a good way to go about it, and about what I expected. Heavily hint at it by Vivian taking solace in being affirmed, but have it be handled more with subtext than just blunt misgendering being most of the text in her descriptions.
Nintendo has not been perfect about trans characters, even recently, (BotW and the UK translation of Mario Golf Super Rush come to mind), so I am glad this is seemingly being handled carefully, even if it may end up less overt than something that would just make people feel uncomfortable for being just a real depiction of transphobic verbal abuse.

I don't think it's inherently wrong to characterize a villain through transphobia, but there is definitely an argument that it's too intense of a topic for a Mario game. I agree that the best case scenario is probably just that they imply Vivian's status and leave it at that for more knowledgeable people to grasp.

Just have to say regarding the new music, I adore the new Rogueport Sewer theme - easily my favorite of the new songs, and the one new one I can say I definitely prefer over the original. Still have to hear much much more, but there are so many tracks I’m dying to hear like Macho Grubba’s fight, Twilight Trail / Creepy Steeple, Riverside Station, X-Naut Fortress, Crump’s Theme, and countless others.
Do you have a link to where I can hear the new sewer theme?

You know, the most insidious transphobia found in the original TTYD isn't from any individual character.

Bedlam being transphobic in the Japanese release? Okay, maybe you can hand wave it as her being a terrible person who has to grow. You beat her up a few times, she supposedly accepts Vivian now, happy end. You can argue about execution, of course, but you get the idea.

Goombella's tattle being transphobic in the Japanese release? Okay, harder to forgive, don't like this, but if you really want to overlook this one, you could say that Goombella is in the wrong, whether by malice or ignorance, and that she more than accepts Vivian by the end. I'm pretty sure she refers to Vivian properly by the end - it's not like the partners get the most dialogue together, but Goombella is the one who writes that final letter to Mario, so take that as you will. Sadly I cannot find the full JP script to check for myself, so feel free to correct me.

No, the worst of it comes from the party menu. Each character gets a little blurb before describing their field mechanics. Here's Vivian's from the U.S. release:

"One of the Shadow Sirens, Vivian suffers from a bit of an inferiority complex."

Okay, describing her personality, in-line with the other partners. Meanwhile, in Japan (gonna put it under a spoiler to be safe)...

"カゲ三人組の一人だった オンナのコのようで ホントは オトコのコ" which translates to "A former member of the Shadow Trio. He may look like a girl, but he's actually a boy."

Every time you want to switch to Vivian while out of battle, you're smacked with this SMB2 Birdo-tier nonsense. It is simply unavoidable, endorsed by the game's user interface for the entire runtime. No growth, no change, nothing you can hand wave away, just some nasty stuff. And the original French and Spanish versions retain this detail and are mostly faithful to this original portrayal.

I'd like to hope that things would be handled more delicately twenty years down the line.

Sadly I cannot find the full JP script to check for myself, so feel free to correct me.
The most relevant line seems to be this:
これからは姉妹(?)3人で なかよく くらしていくでしょう
I don't know Japanese and only have machine translation available to me. Goombella uses "sisters" but appears to express confusion over whether that's the correct word.

I extracted the text from this video with my phone.

The most relevant line seems to be this:

I don't know Japanese and only have machine translation available to me. Goombella uses "sisters" but appears to express confusion over whether that's the correct word.

I extracted the text from this video with my phone.
Yeah it means:

"Beldam promised me she would never bully Vivian again"

"I suppose the 3 sisters(?) will be able to get along with each other going forward."

Last edited:
Please refrain from insensitive commentary based upon misinformation about trans characters in media. -BassForever, TC, LordAzrael, IsisStormDragon
What I'm getting from this is that Vivian was never trans, they were a crossdressing boy of that one bad all too common at the time Japanese anime stereotype whose colloquial word has since become a slur.

What I'm getting from this is that Vivian was never trans, they were a crossdressing boy of that one bad all too common at the time Japanese anime stereotype whose colloquial word has since become a slur.
I don’t think it’s really that cut and dry. Beldam’s abuse of Vivian is portrayed negatively in the Japanese version as well. It’s just another example of a long line of portrayals of trans/gender non-confirming characters that don’t use the most respectful terminology and tend to blur the lines on which is which. “A boy that dresses like a girl” has been a way to describe trans women plenty of times despite it obviously being dehumanizing and wrong.

There is also a long history of re-evaluating these kind of characters in a more positive light (see: Bridget). The difference is Vivian has never been re-evaluated in the last 20 years.

Idk where you are getting this at all.

She was trans in the original Japanese script.

However, it appears they have gotten rid of all mentions of gender in the remake script. So, she is likely a cisgender woman now.

I have no clue how the community will take this.

this all is the reason I was so surprised when this was announced lol. I always thought they wouldn't even wanna bother any of the Vivian stuff
I mean, this is the same subseries that has given Birdo a guest appearance in each of the three latest games, and she was cut from much the same cloth. Sure, she doesn't face the same in-character transphobia, but her original bios follow in the exact vein as Vivian's blurb: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He’d rather be called 'birdetta.'" The original Japanese version is near identical, just swap out "Birdo" for "Catherine" and "Birdetta" for "Cathy."

And it wasn't like this was cleaned up in the 2000s! The American localization dropped the gender gag pretty quickly and just called Birdo a girl. Over in Japan, look at how she was described on the Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Website: "Catherine appears to be Yoshi's girlfriend, but is actually his boyfriend!?"

If they can manage to keep bringing Birdo back, then Vivian is no problem. Requires a new approach, but it's not some taboo subject.

Idk where you are getting this at all.

She was trans in the original Japanese script.

However, it appears they have gotten rid of all mentions of gender in the remake script. So, she is likely a cisgender woman now.

I have no clue how the community will take this.
I feel like removing misgendering is not really a sign of them making her cis, I mean, look at Birdo over the years. We never got something as overtly transphobic as the Mario 2 manual, (though UK Mario Golf Super Rush exclusively misgendering her is pretty close and very clearly deliberate transphobia), but I feel like her being trans has remained enough of a hinted thing through Superstar Saga, the later Paper Mario games, and ironically, UK Mario Golf Super Rush for confirming it's never been retconned internally, even though in most of her appearances like various Mario sports games or Mario Kart there's rarely enough dialogue for any mention of gender to "confirm" her as trans.

What I'm saying is that it kinda sucks that a character being trans is largely either being brought up as a joke or straight up transphobia, and it's something I hope Nintendo has moved past. It not being brought to attention too much shouldn't automatically make them cis. Birdo and Vivian deserve to be good representation and more than a joke.

Please refrain from insensitive commentary based upon misinformation about trans characters in media. -BassForever, TC, LordAzrael, IsisStormDragon

Interesting point, I can't check for myself as I down't know Japanese, but it seems like it was never explicitly stated what Vivian's identity is, with the way Nintendo goes about these things, it leaves things more open for interpretation.

Interesting point, I can't check for myself as I down't know Japanese, but it seems like it was never explicitly stated what Vivian's identity is, with the way Nintendo goes about these things, it leaves things more open for interpretation.
To me it feels pretty cut and dry that throughout the JP script, it's Vivian who refers to herself as female, and is shown to be upset when referred to as male.
She's not attempting to """trick""" anyone by """pretending""" to be female, or just "looks" girly, she identifies as a girl and should be treated as such.

You know, the most insidious transphobia found in the original TTYD isn't from any individual character.

Bedlam being transphobic in the Japanese release? Okay, maybe you can hand wave it as her being a terrible person who has to grow. You beat her up a few times, she supposedly accepts Vivian now, happy end. You can argue about execution, of course, but you get the idea.

Goombella's tattle being transphobic in the Japanese release? Okay, harder to forgive, don't like this, but if you really want to overlook this one, you could say that Goombella is in the wrong, whether by malice or ignorance, and that she more than accepts Vivian by the end. I'm pretty sure she refers to Vivian properly by the end - it's not like the partners get the most dialogue together, but Goombella is the one who writes that final letter to Mario, so take that as you will. Sadly I cannot find the full JP script to check for myself, so feel free to correct me.

No, the worst of it comes from the party menu. Each character gets a little blurb before describing their field mechanics. Here's Vivian's from the U.S. release:

"One of the Shadow Sirens, Vivian suffers from a bit of an inferiority complex."

Okay, describing her personality, in-line with the other partners. Meanwhile, in Japan (gonna put it under a spoiler to be safe)...

"カゲ三人組の一人だった オンナのコのようで ホントは オトコのコ" which translates to "A former member of the Shadow Trio. He may look like a girl, but he's actually a boy."

Every time you want to switch to Vivian while out of battle, you're smacked with this SMB2 Birdo-tier nonsense. It is simply unavoidable, endorsed by the game's user interface for the entire runtime. No growth, no change, nothing you can hand wave away, just some nasty stuff. And the original French and Spanish versions retain this detail and are mostly faithful to this original portrayal.

I'd like to hope that things would be handled more delicately twenty years down the line.

Yeah, I haven't played the game but reading all the discussion and the key points regarding that plotline, my honest impression isnt that one or another character is transphobic, it's actually the writers that were mostly ignorant about the issue and wrote the script with a transphobic bias, even if they weren't necessarily ill intentioned.

It seems to me a lot of people try to spin the game's handling of a trans identity as something layered and mostly good because they like Vivian and what she represents, but in the end I think the writing of the game just isn't very informed. Seems like that same old trans character as a joke trope, and, at best, what the game is saying is "hey this character is a weirdo who thinks they're a girl, but it's not right to pick on them, ok? We have to be nice to everyone, even weirdos, they're nice people too".

So for the remake either they would have to change the original intent of the text or they would keep it as shallow as before but remove the offensive stuff, which is what it seems they're doing.

To me it feels pretty cut and dry that throughout the JP script, it's Vivian who refers to herself as female, and is shown to be upset when referred to as male.
She's not attempting to """trick""" anyone by """pretending""" to be female, or just "looks" girly, she identifies as a girl and should be treated as such.
You are indeed correct.

It's portrayed as abusive gaslighting that upsets Vivian but she is powerless to Beldam.

It's pretty cut and dry. The only thing that is weird in the entire game is Goombella's tattle. And that is the thing that anti-trans people hyperfocus on.

Is it so unrealistic to think that maybe Goombella doesn't get it either.

The writing is kinda bad is what we can infer. She's not a 'transvestite' (which is what they try to claim) She's a transexual.

Vivian also notably prefers to use "Atai" as her first person pronoun, which is a female first person pronoun. We do not have gendered first person pronouns in English.

And her name is Vivian for crying out loud lol. I can't believe some people try to argue she is a drag queen. This is her permanent identity.

Some do argue "well then why doesn't Beldam call Vivian by her dead name?" Which I mean... idk, no answer to that. Poor writing. Not well thought out.

Last edited:
I’m actually hoping the game gets a theme made for Tetris99 so we can potentially hear the new tracks we heard in the previews without random sfx. I’m really digging them.

The denial about Vivian being trans is just another reminder I should visit this forum less and less :/ As a trans girl, it's a real bummer some people think that shit is okay.

Blow that dog whistle a little harder, why don't you?

I think it's best we wait until we get more than 1 or 2 images of text. The speculation is not helpful at all. And we're doing way too much of it on a very sensitive issue.

Agreed, but why is Vivian coming out of a shark?
The stuffed shark from IKEA is a LGBT icon, especially the T, for reasons that are... not entirely apparent, but it stuck at least in part because it was funny I guess.

I mean, this is the same subseries that has given Birdo a guest appearance in each of the three latest games, and she was cut from much the same cloth. Sure, she doesn't face the same in-character transphobia, but her original bios follow in the exact vein as Vivian's blurb: "He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He’d rather be called 'birdetta.'" The original Japanese version is near identical, just swap out "Birdo" for "Catherine" and "Birdetta" for "Cathy."

And it wasn't like this was cleaned up in the 2000s! The American localization dropped the gender gag pretty quickly and just called Birdo a girl. Over in Japan, look at how she was described on the Mario Kart: Double Dash!! Website: "Catherine appears to be Yoshi's girlfriend, but is actually his boyfriend!?"

If they can manage to keep bringing Birdo back, then Vivian is no problem. Requires a new approach, but it's not some taboo subject.
Even when they're not being openly transphobic about it, I feel like they've never really moved past the uh, Persona-esque approach with Birdo as a character. The entire joke with Birdo has always been "this weird ugly thing is acting flirty". That hasn't ever changed much because it's very apparent from the design and the original bio that this type of comedy was the whole point. It's very hard to divorce the character from those origins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom