• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (2024) — Pre-release Discussion Thread

I got the green one and didn't know about the color gimmick until just now reading this thread

I generally only play games once though plus I was far less involved reading stuff online about games 20 years ago

Which Yoshi did you get the first time around? I was pretty young and struggled with the Egg thing so it took a while and I got Blue. Still really fond of it!

images
I did not notice their hairstyle changed as well lol

I always got the green Yoshi. I had no idear that there were more colors. I still have a green Yoshi metal Club Nintendo key chain from TTYD. Lucky me, i don‘t like the hair styles from the other ones.

I would love to have a pink Yoshi… but the hair looks silly.

I got the red one on my first go and I was confused because I remember him being green on the box art and thought that he'd change colors or something throughout the game.

Which Yoshi did you get the first time around? I was pretty young and struggled with the Egg thing so it took a while and I got Blue. Still really fond of it!

images
I got the blue one my first time, I knew about the time trick and was super excited to have gotten my favorite color.

I always got Green or Black lol. I knew there were others, but I never realized that I’ve never seen those other alts.

I would always perfer the green one tho

images
First time? Oh man, I don’t even know… maybe blue?

I always tried to get black/light blue afterwards though.

Light blue? You mean the last one. He looks more white than a light blue.
I specifically said light blue so nobody would pick a fight over me about the color :cautious:

But okay I'll humor you for a bit:

Yoshi_Kids.png

The hex code for the skin of the Yoshi on the right here is #b8d5e2. That's this color:

images

I would very much not call that white.

I specifically said light blue so nobody would pick a fight over me about the color :cautious:

Yoshi_Kids.png

The hex code for the skin of the Yoshi on the right here is #b8d5e2. That's this color:

images

Fair enough. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, he just looks almost white to me.

I've only ever gotten green Yoshi in my 3 TTYD playthroughs, so I def want to go for orange, black, or light blue this go-around. I NEED more info soon so I can start tempering my expectations for added content/QoL and still be hyped, or send my hype into overdrive lol

I'm packing to leave the Poconos tomorrow morning so I'll return to my own question later, but how would y'all rank the TTYD bosses from best to worst?

Yoshi_Kids.png

images

Not trying to pick a fight lol but for all intents and purposes those Yoshi's are white and black. If we get finicky the black one is grey.

A full white Yoshi would look weird and not look like a Yoshi anymore.

Anyone else get a survey from NoE asking to rank Mario RPGs, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi Games?

It also asked if you like unique characters, turn based combat, etc.

images
I think Blue was my first playthrough, but after I learned about the other colours I kept trying for either Red or Green. I wonder if they'd add Purple or Yellow Yoshi to the options if there are enough variables to fit them into the mix

I'm packing to leave the Poconos tomorrow morning so I'll return to my own question later, but how would y'all rank the TTYD bosses from best to worst?
Spoilers just in case for those who have yet to play the game and want to go in fresh, but for my money in the top five boss battles:

1. Rawk Hawk (HYPE)
  2. Macho Grubba (Hype battle, and also a fitting conclusion for the end of Glitz Pit chapter)
  3. Cortez (Best design in all of the game, and also for Admiral Bobbery's chapter feels like the most fun)
  4. Shadow Queen (it's super tough and damn near bullshit, but I respect the challenge and the reward for beating the final boss of the game)
  5. Hooktail (just because it's funny how to defeat her)

After seeing how the results of that last Paper Mario poll went, I'm hoping this time around, a wider variety of voices get to be heard.

Definitely seems like an interesting survey.

Wish they'd send it to me though lol; I only got the Peach survey (talked about it over in that game's ST).

Judging by the survey, if IntelligentSystems is part of the parties that will benefit from this data, then it means that the next Paper Mario game is either in pre-production, or is well into development and they’re gettint info for character design. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Switch 2 PM game like Origami King: three years after the console’s release. So Paper Mario next could come in 2028.

Besides that, whether or not TTYD sells good, it’s kinda decided that the next game will continue with the idea of making the modern Paper Mario games be closer to the first two.

Going from Sticker Star, to Color Splash, to Origami has made me feel like the series is slowly receiving elements from the first two games

Definitely seems like an interesting survey.

Wish they'd send it to me though lol; I only got the Peach survey (talked about it over in that game's ST).

Well I certainly know how I'd be answering, but yeah I haven't picked up SMRPG yet myself so I wonder if I'd even be eligible for this survey if it does get brought to NA

images
I got red when I was six and blissfully unaware of the timer, assumed it was random when he didn't come out green like on the box. Red was also my favorite color at the time, so I was pretty happy.

The details are here for anyone curious. The time window for green is twice as long as the other colors, and black and white are very short. I've tended to game it for orange on replays when I was older.

images
I got green, I always thought it determined by the partner you had with you at the time you got the egg so when it hatched while I had Koops out I thought Koops was the way you get green Yoshi.

Oh I see that the marketing for this game is now going to be in full force! It makes it feel sooo much more offical. Can't wait for next month

Is today TTYD day on Twitter?

This looks so good! One of the GameCube games I sadly did not play, I fell off of Nintendo games during GC and Wii sadly so I missed many classics... I'm honestly glad so many are available on Switch, has let me experience them.

the shiny reflective ground is still weird as fuck
Looks great after checking it out full screen. Very subtle effect.

It looks pretty much perfect. The original game looks so dull after seeing this. Not hating on the original, just praising how much work was done into this.
I don't think I could go back.

Last edited:

That added theramin section to the title screen music rules.

Also in the scene where the X Nauts are dogpiling Mario the framerate seems a little bad, but then it shows the Petal Meadows scene that's been in every trailer also with bad framerate so hopefully that's just a video thing being weird. If it's gonna be half the framerate of the original, I would hope it's at least a solid 30fps.

That added theramin section to the title screen music rules.

Also in the scene where the X Nauts are dogpiling Mario the framerate seems a little bad, but then it shows the Petal Meadows scene that's been in every trailer also with bad framerate so hopefully that's just a video thing being weird. If it's gonna be half the framerate of the original, I would hope it's at least a solid 30fps.
Most definitely a twitter thing because you have that same two scenes with Mario's arrival and Petal Meadows back in the announcement trailer running much smoother than this.

TTYD remake looks visually perfect. The style is perfected IMO. Every future Paper Mario game could retain this artstyle and I’d be happy. It’s a blend of the old TTYD look and the modern games, and they did a phenomenal job. It looks paper-y, but not too much that it becomes distracting or a central theme. It’s subtle, but present… exactly as it should be.

I’ve seen people on Twitter say that Mario’s maintained his white outline and that it’s just much thinner, but this isn’t the case. It’s not an outline anymore, it’s depth given to each individual piece of his model. Take a look at his model up close and you’ll see that it’s not a consistent white outline around the whole figure, it’s actually the depth of each portion of his body that you see when viewed from a certain angle. This style seems to apply to every other character model as well.

I would never have thought of this, but it’s absolutely perfect. What a wonderful way to evolve the series’ artstyle. I am so excited to get my hands on this.

Uh, oh. Is this much content suggestion that there may not be a Direct?
Nintendo regularly advertise ahead of Directs. They've frequently released trailers in January, for example, for whatever their March release will be. 30 seconds in this instance isn't all that much.

I wouldn't say a Direct is guaranteed, but this definitely doesn't rule it out.

TTYD remake looks visually perfect. The style is perfected IMO. Every future Paper Mario game could retain this artstyle and I’d be happy. It’s a blend of the old TTYD look and the modern games, and they did a phenomenal job. It looks paper-y, but not too much that it becomes distracting or a central theme. It’s subtle, but present… exactly as it should be.

I’ve seen people on Twitter say that Mario’s maintained his white outline and that it’s just much thinner, but this isn’t the case. It’s not an outline anymore, it’s depth given to each individual piece of his model. Take a look at his model up close and you’ll see that it’s not a consistent white outline around the whole figure, it’s actually the depth of each portion of his body that you see when viewed from a certain angle. This style seems to apply to every other character model as well.

I would never have thought of this, but it’s absolutely perfect. What a wonderful way to evolve the series’ artstyle. I am so excited to get my hands on this.
I agree with this; it's not as though it needs to be a character that on a Z-axis is only a pixel thick with an obnoxious white outline, but I think this visual effect of looking like heavy stock card paper is what best suits PM after all these years. The white outline only needs to show up when you rotate 180° to walk in the other direction

Uhh, the animation of Mario doing a thumbs up is shockingly… good?! Looks way more cartoony and bouncy than the original.
Also a lot better than the choppy animations from the Color Splash engine.

It is absolutely damn gorgeous. It is the best of all Paper worlds. It is the crafts artstyle of Paper Mario: Origami king combined with the smoother animation style of Thousand Year Door / Super.

I won’t lie, I never minded the white outline that much compared to most, I actually liked it somewhat.
But the new “card stock” outline the characters have in this remake looks so much better and more accurate to what a papercraft world would look like, imo.

I really hope this is what the Switch 2 Paper Mario game will look like cause this artstyle is the best Paper Mario has ever looked

Uhh, the animation of Mario doing a thumbs up is shockingly… good?! Looks way more cartoony and bouncy than the original.
Also a lot better than the choppy animations from the Color Splash engine.
His body parts being separate pieces of paper instead of just one allows for a lot of flexibility in how he can be animated. His fist can actually pop out slightly from his elbow, and his shoulder is able to swing like he's a marionette on a string.

And he has this flimsiness still, like even when he is standing still he's gotta crinkle a bit on his joints.

This is easily the best interpretation of Paper Mario visually. The best of both worlds.

His body parts being separate pieces of paper instead of just one allows for a lot of flexibility in how he can be animated. His fist can actually pop out slightly from his elbow, and his shoulder is able to swing like he's a marionette on a string.
The modern games aren't really any different in terms of constructing a lot of animations from limb separation. Every Paper Mario since TTYD builds a huge chunk of its sprites off of manipulated separated body parts for consistency's sake. The only difference between TTYD and the modern games is that the former animates them in-engine in a way that was highly common of Flash style animations of that era, whereas the modern games animate and construct these in more traditional frame-by-frame sprite format where everything is its own unique frame. The advantage of the former is that you get "smoother" animation, but it comes at the cost of most unique sprites only being achieved by manipulating the body part assets fed into the engine, and that's where I disagree on it giving them "more flexibility"; one advantage the modern games have is that they can modify graphics and sprite sets more freely depending on the situation just by drawing a new graphic altogether that might only have one use case, and that's how we get things like Color Splash's massive sprite sheet which is chock-full of the kind of sprites that TTYD was lacking in even in comparison to its predecessor. In this kind of situation it's way easier to construct a unique sprite when that work can all be done on the art end of things.

I don't think this is quite the "best of both worlds" yet. The modern games afford a variety of unique context-sensitive sprites similarly to how we'd see from the N64 game, and while they don't animate as much, it brings a very reactive and expressive look for Mario. The TTYD remake has added some zest here and there, but looking at things like Mario's jump in battle I still don't think it's quite there for me. The modern games still have an edge over TTYD in certain visual aspects.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom