• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 104 56.2%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 19 10.3%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 13 7.0%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 20 10.8%

• Total voters
Instead, they went "Uuuh, you know... family and underground... light and darkness... putting your Yakuza movies next to the family films... yeah, you know" so of course people went "the fuck are you on about? What the hell is actually going on here?"
do they even do yakuza shit in the games. you know dealing drugs, shaking down business for money, murder for hire, racketeering, human trafficking etc.
That tweet is from June 9th of last year, after the games got leaked by Atlus' instagram, but before they were officially announced. If the game was coming to Switch it would've been simultaneously with the other versions...
yeah that tweet specifically is why I don't trust this leaker. surprised they didn't delete it tho.

After having beaten FFVII Rebirth, I just want Nintendo to wake up and do something so the hype train for Switch 2024 and Switch 2s March 2025 launch can leave the station.

I will say that it’s pretty weird/suspicious that like 20 projects from Sega have “leaked” and no one wants to leak about Super Game (which is probably more important than all of them financially).

A lot of stuff that feels like safe predictions instead of the details on the weirdness that is Super Game.

I don't think a Pokémon game would be cross-gen either way, but Legends Z-A is the only opportunity they could get, since it's a game that won't be releasing in two different SKUs, thus, they wouldn't be having the hassle of putting out 4 SKUs on retail for two different consoles.

But as Neoxon said, TPC doesn't care, it's not their responsibility to sell hardware. they want the bigger userbase, and it's on Switch, and they won't gamble on Switch 2 at the start.

and since the game will simply be playable through backwards compatibility on Switch 2, with or without enhancements and performance boost, Nintendo can pull that old trick for the package and put a simple sticker on it lol

image.png

They also apparently intended to do the same with late GameCube games and reprints, but never commited

E8cN7jjVIAQZ4m7.jpg
Mystery Dungeon is actually quite an interesting thing to bring up, given Rescue Team Blue exists.
ds_PDungeon_Blue_pkg01.jpg

Mystery Dungeon is actually quite an interesting thing to bring up, given Rescue Team Blue exists.
ds_PDungeon_Blue_pkg01.jpg
Yeah, in terms, the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was already sort of cross-gen lol.. but they did this for a lot of late games on GBA and also reprints of older ones and Player's Choice

IMG_20210528_105908.jpg.88e19ac438fc22df65055de5912bc0c6.jpg

A8D13928-9D30-449C-885B-798CFE251A1F.jpeg.7529d6c80d2ee0568fa5931a679c3245.jpeg

Watched an interesting video from Nathaniel Bandy who predicted the entire NSO lineup until 2030 (so the presumed length for the Switch 2's lifespan) and it's kinda realistic (??), though I'm skeptical they'll have that many big first-party games from their Wii catalog.

Yeah, in terms, the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was already sort of cross-gen lol.. but they did this for a lot of late games on GBA and also reprints of older ones and Player's Choice

IMG_20210528_105908.jpg.88e19ac438fc22df65055de5912bc0c6.jpg

A8D13928-9D30-449C-885B-798CFE251A1F.jpeg.7529d6c80d2ee0568fa5931a679c3245.jpeg
Yeah but that's not the same, is it? Just putting a sticker onto the game's box vs releasing the companion game on the new system?

It’ll definitely be easier, but the differences between the two SoCs will mean that it won’t be simple. MVG went over how Switch 1 games are compiled, so I compatibility layer will likely have to be employed for just backwards compatibility. This could complicate matters in terms of enhancements, to the point where making a native Switch 2 version could be a necessity for any performance improvements outside of passive benefits. And going by Game Freak & TPC’s track record, it doesn’t seem like a high priority for them to have a conversion specific to new hardware ready early on. I’m sure Nintendo would want it, but the other parties simply don’t care (especially since GF is already being stretched thin). Simply being playable on the Switch 2 via BC would be enough for them.
The complications with BC are entirely for Nintendo and Nvidia's system engineers to solve, and are largely irrelevant to shipping an actual cross gen game. Much of the challenge comes specifically from the game's shaders not having been compiled for the new GPU, which is not exactly a concern when the game is targeting both GPUs in the first place. The work needed to adapt their renderer for the new console is probably not zero, but at worst, it's just going to be supporting version 2 of the API they're already using.

Also, not to sound like a broken record, but I really think you're ignoring a lot of context when interpreting Game Freak's history on the subject of cross-gen.

It just seems unbelievable that Nintendo would allow a situation where their previous console system would have bigger and more popular game releases than the brand new console would have, that is unheard of in console transition. If that really happens it would put a real spanner in Nintendo's way in getting people to quickly move on from the Switch, after all that could cause an expectation that Switch will continue to get great exclusives that the Switch 2 won't get. And a Pokemon release for the Switch would lead to embarassing news articles about Switch consoles selling more than Switch 2 consoles in certain territories, something that happened for the Wii U against the Wii. All in all it would be incredibly bad for the status of the Switch 2 if it doesn't even get all games the old system gets, especially big games like Pokemon. It would be like PS5 not getting a new Spiderman game but instead the PS4 got the game.
I think that'll only be a problem if the game straight up isn't playable on the Switch 2. If buyers of the new console take interest in the game and play it on said console, then that should be enough for it to be associated with the new console
Yeah but that's not the same, is it? Just putting a sticker onto the game's box vs releasing the companion game on the new system?
It doesn't have to be a mere sticker either. Another option is to take the same approach as certain Xbox 360 games:

xbox360newbox2.jpg

I haven't followed this thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed to death.

There was a Nate the Hate podcast a while back where they discussed the next console probably not having detachable controllers. If that's the case, I believe they would still have some wand-like controllers for pointing, waggle, Wii sports type games and so on. I have to wonder though whether there will be a new controller for this, or could they just continue with the (awful) Joy-Con for one more generation.

Possibly some whispers from GDC soon?
Probably. We're in the week of the conference, since it's from March 18th - 22

Nah, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will say something at the May investitor's meeting.
Even if it's a little thing like "We'll launch new hardware during this fiscal year."
That's assuming it launches within the next Fiscal Year. Because if it launches in May 2025, they have no obligation to say anything xD

Nah, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will say something at the May investitor's meeting.
Even if it's a little thing like "We'll launch new hardware during this fiscal year."

We get past that May report and Nintendo doesn't say a damn word about the Switch 2, then I'm jumping on the 2026 train
half joking

Small tide bit from the nate podcast I found interesting is according to nate sources switch 2 was still for this year in mid January, meaning the internal delay was extremely last minute considering the partner direct we got

As usual, if we don't know the exact release date it's difficult to predict the announcement. If the release is postponed to May 25, we might even see the announcement after holiday 24.
hopefully by the end of 2024 we gonna see something about the console

I still think the timeline will be:
• April/early May: press release, acknowledging the console
• June or September: console reveal
• March '25 release

Nintendo is so preoccupied with their marketing plans and perfectly controlling the role out that they are forgetting the most important thing about fans which is that fans needs to be properly fed. Right now we are so hungry. Starvation of fans is very dangerous and may lead to many fans dying off, migrating to other platforms in search for proper food, and eventually rebellion and rioting by the fateful few left. It's a dangerous game you are playing Nintendo.

Please feed us.

Small tide bit from the nate podcast I found interesting is according to nate sources switch 2 was still for this year in mid January, meaning the internal delay was extremely last minute considering the partner direct we got
Are we even sure that the leak of the Switch 2 being delayed is legit? I mean it does make sense but idk what made the proof so concrete about it that everyone is just believing it now. I might have missed some detail about it though.

Nintendo is so preoccupied with their marketing plans and perfectly controlling the role out that they are forgetting the most important thing about fans which is that fans needs to be properly fed. Right now we are so hungry. Starvation of fans is very dangerous and may lead to many fans dying off, migrating to other platforms in search for proper food, and eventually rebellion and rioting by the fateful few left. It's a dangerous game you are playing Nintendo.

Please feed us.
True but also This years lineup is already better than what we had on the last year of the Wii Us life when waiting for the Switch announcment. If we can survive that we can survive this lol. The final year of the Wii U was a hard one.

Are we even sure that the leak of the Switch 2 being delayed is legit? I mean it does make sense but idk what made the proof so concrete about it that everyone is just believing it now. I might have missed some detail about it though.
in Nate's podcast he admitted that there's a chance that there was no delay, and it was always a 2025 date.

that's the idea I've since gone with. with leakers assuming holiday 2024 was the plan even if they didn't have a concrete quarter from Nintendo

in Nate's podcast he admitted that there's a chance that there was no delay, and it was always a 2025 date.

that's the idea I've since gone with. with leakers assuming holiday 2024 was the plan even if they didn't have a concrete quarter from Nintendo
Oh I missed that part. Yea that makes sense.

List of game consoles launched in the last 34 years that intentionally released in Q1 or Q2 instead of being delayed from a holiday release:

There are none

I imagine Nintendo has always said to their partners that Switch 2 will be released at H2 FY2024/25.

Probably some insiders speculate of a late 2024 release due to some third party SW schedule + timing reveal (originally march)

But until +/- 1 month ago nobody really don’t know a specific month.

April is a crucial month as theorically (and it makes sense) we should get a Nintendo Direct to have a clean view of Switch 2024.

Reading the Dragons Dogma 2 reviews ...

Capcom, i need this glorious, chaotic, highest-quality-jank of a game portable.

I double dip, i promise.

My guess is that Nintendo was always targeting Holiday 2024 and was even hoping to get it out earlier, with them setting aside 2025 as a worst case scenario. They ended up going with the worst case scenario sometime late in January due to wanting more time for manufacturing and first-party games not being up to snuff. I wouldn't say "the journalists were wrong and 2025 was always the plan" considering the rumors of a delay were backed up by a huge financial institution and the fact that the reveal was (allegedly) pushed back 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom