• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 181 58.4%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 47 15.2%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 22 7.1%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 25 8.1%

• Total voters
3d Mario launch, Mario kart fall season, Mario party or Mario sports spring 2026 for the movie

3D Mario is launching with the system. Mario Kart needs to be the big holiday game. It should not be the other way around.
It should be 3D Mario at launch and Mario Kart for the holiday, but that's not necessarily how it will happen. If 3D Mario is still behind, but Mario Kart is ready, should they delay until fall 2025?

Given that we were getting Mario Kart content until recently, whereas it has been so long since a full 3d Mario game, I'm thinking we get 3d Mario at launch with Kart dropping ~6 months later.

In general Pokémon Legends: Z-A is an unusual case for Pokémon. From the start Arceus was scheduled for Early 2022. Z-A has a more vague 2025 release year without any timing attached to it. This is unusual for them as they usually announce a timing along side a release year even when there is no footage accompanying an announcement like with Sun/Moon and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.

Edit: if it was an Early 2025 game like Pokémon Legends: Arceus they would say so. The release timing probably has not been locked down yet.
It could still be early 2025 but they aren't 100% confident so they could internally delay it if needed

How would you all feel about stylus' returning for the new console? New trademarks today for a bunch of stylus games from Nintendo.
I don't see an issue. Switch was already touchscreen and under utilized.
This makes me wonder if there is a second screen you can use the stylus with while it's also docked into the TV

Given that we were getting Mario Kart content until recently, whereas it has been so long since a full 3d Mario game, I'm thinking we get 3d Mario at launch with Kart dropping ~6 months later.
I suspect so yeah. They might want both of them closer to launch but it depends what they have for the rest of the year. Switch had MK8D, ARMS and Splatoon all in the first 5 months, which was maybe a bit silly.

Console launch and 3D Mario in April
Pokemon Z-A in May
Mario Kart in July
Animal Crossing in November

Plus other games in June, August, September and October, but it's hard to think of anything fitting and predictable

Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion 4, 2D Metroid, Splatoon 4, Pokemon Gen 10 feel like safe bets for 2026

Nate is recording. I posted it in the direct topic, but it could be related to the Switch 2 or not Nintendo at all.

I think if there's new stuff about Switch 2 he could be doing a podcast about, he would record it during or shortly after GDC, but that only starts next week.

Pokemon Z-A in May
Mario Kart in July

Plus other games in June, August, September and October, but it's hard to think of anything fitting and predictable

Mario Party, Luigi's Mansion 4, 2D Metroid, Splatoon 4, Pokemon Gen 10 feel like safe bets for 2026
This would be really cool

But it would feel kind of weird starting up animal crossing and it's autumn in the game. New Horizons memories are too strong.

Pokemon Z-A in May
Mario Kart in July

To add to this, Camelot is due for another game. If we don't get anything this year I think there is a good chance it will be on the next system.

Would Smash be a 2026 game? Or would it be better for 2027?

After seeing yours comments I agree and revised my "expectable" Switch 2 scheduled for its launch month and first full FY to this:

March (launch): 3D Mario, EPD4 Casual Game (Nintendogs?)

FY2025/26
Q1: Camelot next game (Golden Sun?) *, Zelda 2D *, Pokemon Legends A-Z *
Q2: Mario Party, Monolith Action IP, Astral Chain 2
Q3: Mario Kart X, Star Fox, Ring-Fit sequel
Q4: 2D Metroid, Animal Crossing

* denotes cross-gen game.

Throw some unexpected IPs or NGC/Wii/3DS remasters for both Switch generations.

Pokemon Z-A in May
Mario Kart in July

After seeing yours comments I agree and revised my "expectable" Switch 2 scheduled for its launch month and first full FY to this:

FY2025/26

To both of you, Pokémon isn't known for supporting new Nintendo systems right away. Game Freak & TPC tend to wait a year or so before they make the jump. Here's a timeline for context...
  • Pokémon Emerald (2005): Stayed on GBA despite the DS already being out.
  • Pokémon Black 2/White 2 (2012): Stayed on DS despite the 3DS already being out.
  • Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (2017): Stayed on 3DS despite the Switch already being out.
The only time they did a "cross-gen" game was with Gen 2 on Game Boy & Game Boy Color, though Nintendo considers the latter a mid-gen refresh. Because of this, I wouldn't expect anything more from Legends Z-A than simply a Switch 1-only game with no native Switch 2 version. At most, you'll get passive performance benefits via backwards compatibility. But going by Game Freak & TPC's history, PLZA likely won't be cross-gen. The first Switch 2 mainline Pokémon game will almost certainly be Gen 10 in 2026, coinciding with the series' 30th anniversary.

As for Splatoon 4 in 2026, that's not likely. Or to be more accurate, it's not likely unless the next Animal Crossing isn't until 2028 or later. While both IPs have folks who exclusively work on either, both being EPD 5 games still means that they draw from the same pool of staff (usually amounting to 30-40% staff overlap, including outsourced staff). Because of this, EPD 5 can only really go full-steam-ahead with one or the other. So if Animal Crossing is 2025, Splatoon 4 probably won't be until 2028 (maybe 2027 if we're lucky). And after the success of New Horizons, EPD 5 has no reason to prioritize Splatoon over Animal Crossing as being the first Switch 2 game they launch. That said, Nintendo is trying to expand their staff pool. But those efforts likely won't bear fruit until at least 2028.

To both of you, Pokémon isn't known for supporting new Nintendo systems right away.
I'm also expecting a single version for Switch but I included it since it would be on Switch 2 by technicality.

As for Splatoon 4 in 2026, that's not likely. Or to be more accurate, it's not likely unless the next Animal Crossing isn't until 2028 or later. While both IPs have folks who exclusively work on either, both being EPD 5 games still means that they draw from the same pool of staff (usually amounting to 30-40% staff overlap, including outsourced staff).
Out of 35 Game Design credits for Splatoon 3, 7 worked on New Horizons
Out of 43 Programming credits for Splatoon 3, 9 worked on New Horizons

Switch 2 likely having BC with Switch 1 at least makes a situation where Game Freak doesn't, for whatever reason, want to make or have a Switch 2 version of Legends ZA different to back with 3DS and Switch.

Though i'd argue it wouldn't hurt to have a native Switch 2 version, even if it's basically 1:1 with the Switch version.

I'm also expecting a single version for Switch but I included it since it would be on Switch 2 by technicality.

Out of 35 Game Design credits for Splatoon 3, 7 worked on New Horizons
Out of 43 Programming credits for Splatoon 3, 9 worked on New Horizons
That's still 20% & 20.9% respectively, with the whole team overlap between the two projects being around 32.5%. It's definitely not a majority nor 1:1 the same time (which isn't what I'm arguing), but it's far from insignificant compared to the overlap between games made by separate EPD divisions (Ex: TotK vs. Mario Wonder).

It's like I said: Different Teams, Same Talent Pool. Unless one of the two gets outsourced (see Pikmin with Eighting), EPD 5 sadly can't go full-steam-ahead with both Animal Crossing 6 & Splatoon 4 until 2028 or so when Nintendo's expansion efforts start to bear fruit. This means that won't see something like EPD 10's 2023 where they were able to release both Mario Wonder & Pikmin 4 in the same year. With them, not only is their talent pool big enough to where they could work on both simultaneously, Pikmin 4 in particular had a significant amount of its development outsourced to Eighting. So again, if Animal Crossing 6 is 2025, Splatoon 4 probably won't be until 2027-2028. And to be frank, Splatoon could use the break (at least overseas).

On the Pokemon front, it'll still be marketed as a Switch 1 game first & foremost. I wouldn't expect much (if any) Switch 2 mentions for Legends Z-A.

FY2025/26

I agree that Camelot is due by next year, but unless something changes, I am only expecting them to handle Mario Sports games from here on out. It has been over a decade since their last Golden Sun game, and Camelot is still a small studio. I'd love to be surprised, but I just don't see it happening.

That's still 20% & 20.9% respectively, with the whole team overlap between the two projects being around 32.5%. It's definitely not a majority nor 1:1 the same time (which isn't what I'm arguing), but it's far from insignificant compared to the overlap between games made by separate EPD divisions (Ex: TotK vs. Mario Wonder).
According to Moby Games, 122 people who are credited on Wonder also worked on TotK, which amounts to 28% of Wonder's staff.

Obviously that includes translators and such but I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you make it out to be. While we haven't seen this anything like in the Switch era, the previous gen had NSMB2 and NSMBU being worked on at the same time by the same EPD (EAD) group, with an overlap of 57 people which is 37% of NSMB2's staff and 42% of NSMBU's. Pikmin 3 launched not too long after.

And to be frank, Splatoon could use the break (at least overseas).
It would have been 4 years since 3 by that point which I think is appropriate considreing it's a transition to another console.

According to Moby Games, 122 people who are credited on Wonder also worked on TotK, which amounts to 28% of Wonder's staff.

Obviously that includes translators and such but I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you make it out to be. While we haven't seen this anything like in the Switch era, the previous gen had NSMB2 and NSMBU being worked on at the same time by the same EPD (EAD) group, with an overlap of 57 people which is 37% of NSMB2's staff and 42% of NSMBU's. Pikmin 3 launched not too long after.
Kyoto-Report is the point of reference for the 32.5% figure, to be clear. Either way, I just don't feel like it's realistic to expect a Splatoon game so soon after Animal Crossing given the context. Though obviously game development has become much more complex since then, so being able to juggle multiple projects in the same way back then may not be as feasible. And like I said earlier about EPD 10 (2D Mario & Pikmin's division)...
...their talent pool [is] big enough to where they could work on both simultaneously...
But even in that case, they went to Eighting for a large chunk of Pikmin 4's development. For what it's worth, there are signs of EPD 5 trying to expand. But it doesn't seem to be enough going by the aforementioned numbers.

It would have been 4 years since 3 by that point which I think is appropriate considering it's a transition to another console.
Yeah, but it'd be only 1.5-2 years after the end of Splatoon 3 DLC (supposedly Sizzle Season 2024, June to September 2024).

If you ask me, I'm expecting the Switch 2's Year 1 to be the following regarding 10+ million sellers...
  • Day 1: 3D Mario
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario Kart 10
  • Ring Fit Adventure 2 (or another new EPD 4 IP)
With Year 2 being held down by Smash 6 & Pokémon Gen 10. Pokémon Legends Z-A will be solely a Switch 1 game & marketed as such.

With Wild Hearts bombing and Rise of Ronin probably headed for getting really bad reviews and maybe as bad of sales, I wonder if KT will more closely tie themselves to Nintendo if EA and Sony feel burned by the recent partnership.

Kyoto-Report is the point of reference for the 32.5% figure, to be clear. Either way, I just don't feel like it's realistic to expect a Splatoon game so soon after Animal Crossing given the context. Though obviously game development has become much more complex since then, so being able to juggle multiple projects in the same way back then may not be as feasible. And like I said earlier about EPD 10 (2D Mario & Pikmin's division)...

But even in that case, they went to Eighting for a large chunk of Pikmin 4's development. For what it's worth, there are signs of EPD 5 trying to expand. But it doesn't seem to be enough going by the aforementioned numbers.

Yeah, but it'd be only 1.5-2 years after the end of Splatoon 3 DLC (supposedly Sizzle Season 2024, June to September 2024).

If you ask me, I'm expecting the Switch 2's Year 1 to be the following regarding 10+ million sellers...
  • Animal Crossing
  • Mario Kart 10
With Year 2 being held down by Smash 6 & Pokémon Gen 10. Pokémon Legends Z-A will be solely a Switch 1 game & marketed as such.
Having besides those "10 Million Sellers" some new IP (not EPD 4) and a Monolith Soft Game and this would make a great first year for First Party.

With Wild Hearts bombing and Rise of Ronin probably headed for getting really bad reviews and maybe as bad of sales, I wonder if KT will more closely tie themselves to Nintendo if EA and Sony feel burned by the recent partnership.
Wait what? Rise of the ronin is gonna get bad reviews? I haven’t been following it closely

Wait what? Rise of the ronin is gonna get bad reviews? I haven’t been following it closest

Oh, the previews are just not good.

Basically, people are not happy because

1. Team Ninja copied the Assassin's Creed template but like.... added nothing whatsoever to it.
2. KT's engine is a mess that eats up CPU and GPU resources so the game runs badly even at low resolutions and low fidelity.
3. They made the combat a lot worse from Nioh (probably to make it more approachable)
4. The game seemingly does nothing at all new or exciting so it's been described as "lacking soul," "lacking swag," "lacking sauce."

Probably a 60-64 Meta or so.

Where Team Ninja goes from here will be interesting... KT expected Rise of Ronin to be their best selling game ever (5m copies)... Will be hard to do that as the preorders aren't great and Team Ninja's fans will probably be uninterested. Team Ninja said they're going to eventually go back to Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, but we'll see what direction they go with those titles.

Could see them looking for a check from Microsoft for Ninja Gaiden after this, but maybe there will be an opening for Nintendo (who has hired Team Ninja in the past)

1. Team Ninja copied the Assassin's Creed template but like.... added nothing whatsoever to it.
2. KT's engine is a mess that eats up CPU and GPU resources so the game runs badly even at low resolutions and low fidelity.
3. They made the combat a lot worse from Nioh (probably to make it more approachable)
4. The game seemingly does nothing at all new or exciting so it's been described as "lacking soul," "lacking swag," "lacking sauce."

Where Team Ninja goes from here will be interesting... KT expected Rise of Ronin to be their best selling game ever (5m copies)... Will be hard to do that as the preorders aren't great and Team Ninja's fans will probably be uninterested. Team Ninja said they're going to eventually go back to Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive, but we'll see what direction they go with those titles.

Could see them looking for a check from Microsoft for Ninja Gaiden after this, but maybe there will be an opening for Nintendo (who has hired Team Ninja in the past)
I'm all for Halo Warriors.

To both of you, Pokémon isn't known for supporting new Nintendo systems right away. Game Freak & TPC tend to wait a year or so before they make the jump. Here's a timeline for context...
  • Pokémon Emerald (2005): Stayed on GBA despite the DS already being out.
  • Pokémon Black 2/White 2 (2012): Stayed on DS despite the 3DS already being out.
  • Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon (2017): Stayed on 3DS despite the Switch already being out.
The only time they did a "cross-gen" game was with Gen 2 on Game Boy & Game Boy Color, though Nintendo considers the latter a mid-gen refresh. Because of this, I wouldn't expect anything more from Legends Z-A than simply a Switch 1-only game with no native Switch 2 version. At most, you'll get passive performance benefits via backwards compatibility. But going by Game Freak & TPC's history, PLZA likely won't be cross-gen. The first Switch 2 mainline Pokémon game will almost certainly be Gen 10 in 2026, coinciding with the series' 30th anniversary.
I don't really see an especially strong reason in Game Freak's history to think that ZA wouldn't be cross-gen. The relevant detail is that the vast majority of Pokémon's technical advancements tend to happen in very discrete steps, and we're due for one as of ZA. Pre-Switch, this would have happened at the start of a generation, but since moving to Switch, it has shifted to the experimental revisit games. This doesn't necessarily mean that it will be cross-gen, but it does mean that the opportunity for that is wide open. Trying to predict whether a studio will release a game cross-gen based on what they've done in the past when releasing cross-gen games was vastly more difficult is generally probably not the most productive line of reasoning, especially when the series has had cross-gen bonuses in the past like with Pokémon Dream Radar.

What this also means is that Gen 10 is highly unlikely to drop Switch 1 as (at least one of) its target platform(s), now that we know that ZA will be playable on Switch 1.

I don't really see an especially strong reason in Game Freak's history to think that ZA wouldn't be cross-gen. The relevant detail is that the vast majority of Pokémon's technical advancements tend to happen in very discrete steps, and we're due for one as of ZA. Pre-Switch, this would have happened at the start of a generation, but since moving to Switch, it has shifted to the experimental revisit games. This doesn't necessarily mean that it will be cross-gen, but it does mean that the opportunity for that is wide open. Trying to predict whether a studio will release a game cross-gen based on what they've done in the past when releasing cross-gen games was vastly more difficult is generally probably not the most productive line of reasoning, especially when the series has had cross-gen bonuses in the past like with Pokémon Dream Radar.

What this also means is that Gen 10 is highly unlikely to drop Switch 1 as (at least one of) its target platform(s), now that we know that ZA will be playable on Switch 1.
But that’s only a possibility, nothing that can be backed up by history. Even the instances of cross-gen you mentioned are limited to minor features that didn’t require a ton of resources dedicated to it like a whole native Switch 2 version would. And all historical evidence indicates that Game Freak & TPC exclusively stick to older hardware until the newer one builds up more of an install base, which is especially important now as we’re getting to a point where Game Freak is being stretched thin by their own deadlines. And since the Switch 2 will almost certainly be backwards compatible, there’s no reason for them to make a native version when exclusively focusing on the Switch 1 will achieve similar results. The only argument in favor of cross-gen is that it’ll benefit the Switch 2’s Year 1, but that’s something Nintendo cares about more than the other parties involved.

As such, I’m sticking to my prediction: Pokémon Legends Z-A will be exclusively a Switch 1 title with passive BC benefits on Switch 2. Game Freak & TPC will wait until 2026 to move to the Switch 2 fully with Gen 10, by which point the install base would’ve built up to a point where all parties involved would be content with making the jump.

Anyway, now I’ll return to my lurking.

Last edited:
But that’s only a possibility, nothing that can be backed up by history. Even the instances of cross-gen you mentioned are limited to individual features & minor features that didn’t require a ton of resources dedicated to it like a whole native Switch 2 version would. And all historical evidence indicates that Game Freak & TPC exclusively stick to older hardware until the newer one builds up more of an install base, which is especially important now as we’re getting to a point where Game Freak is being stretched thin by their own deadlines. And since the Switch 2 will almost certainly be backwards compatible, there’s no reason for them to make a native version when exclusively focusing on the Switch 1 will achieve similar results. The only argument in favor of cross-gen is that it’ll benefit the Switch 2’s Year 1, but that’s something Nintendo cares about more than the other parties involved.

As such, I’m sticking to my prediction: Pokémon Legends Z-A will be exclusively a Switch 1 title with passive BC benefits on Switch 2. Game Freak & TPC will wait until 2026 to move to the Switch 2 fully with Gen 10, by which point the install base would’ve built up to a point where all parties involved would be content with making the jump.

Anyway, now I’ll return to my lurking.
I think your analysis is a bit overly simplistic and ignores some of the factors behind why they shifted platforms when they did. Game Freak didn't just wait until some arbitrary timeframe or sales threshold before jumping to a new platform. They'd wait until their current "cycle" was done and switch for the next one. Historically this cycle would start when a new generation did, but that shifted when they started doing these experimental revisit games instead of remakes. Based on what we know and can reasonably speculate about, Let's Go was based on an early branch of Sword and Shield, while Legends Arceus appears to have similarly been built from an early version of SV. The safe bet is that ZA will start the next cycle and also be based on an early version of Gen 10's engine including whatever work has already been done to adopt Switch 2's API and features. I could perhaps see a scenario where they're in a transitional state and drop Switch 1 support for Gen 10, but going from only Switch 1 to only Switch 2 within the same cycle just doesn't seem especially likely.

Also, as I alluded to before, there is no historical precedent to how Game Freak, or most other Nintendo-adjacent actors for that matter, will react to a situation where the bar to taking a game cross-gen is very low. This isn't going to be a Switch and 3DS situation where Switch 1 and Switch 2 "versions" of games will be radically different. I'd be fairly surprised if Nintendo even put out separate cartridges for Switch 1 and Switch 2 versions of games.

Isn‘t everything related to Switch 2?
We should stop replying on him for switch 2 stuff. Nothing against him. We just need you wait on official info from Nintendo. People will just get their hopes up and potentially be let down.

We should stop replying on him for switch 2 stuff. Nothing against him. We just need you wait on official info from Nintendo. People will just get their hopes up and potentially be let down.
Yeah, it‘s annoying. Nate‘ll share stuff when he‘s ready, not if we @ and urge him. Though I hope that it‘s on Switch 2 (not gonna happen), but I expect that his next podcast‘ll focus on something else.

I’ve been thinking for about this for a bit, but do you guys think an Animal Crossing game on switch 2 would target 1080 60fps? Or would it focus on visuals having it be 4k 30fps? I personally hope they target 60 fps as in new horizons when playing there would be noticeable frame dips from 30fps depending on how many items are on screen at once.

I’ve been thinking for about this for a bit, but do you guys think an Animal Crossing game on switch 2 would target 1080 60fps? Or would it focus on visuals having it be 4k 30fps? I personally hope they target 60 fps as in new horizons when playing there would be noticeable frame dips from 30fps depending on how many items are on screen at once.
probably 30fps again. it's not like they couldn't do 60fps with New Horizons, they chose not to

Getting this info second hand but apparently there was a 4chan leak about the next dragon ball sparking zero trailer a while ago called power vs speed and there description said the trailer ended all the consoles the game is coming to and one of them was a ?

And this just so happened today

Getting this info second hand but apparently there was a 4chan leak about the next dragon ball sparking zero trailer a while ago called power vs speed and there description said the trailer ended all the consoles the game is coming to and one of them was a ?

This is very interesting

probably 30fps again. it's not like they couldn't do 60fps with New Horizons, they chose not to
Yea, I see that being the most realistic possibility. Sad cause playing city folk (one of the two animal crossing games that ran a full consistent 60 fps) it felt super smooth to play and navigate menus in.

I guess the most surprising thing about a Dragon Ball game hitting the Nintendo machine would be not waiting until a year later to confirm.
I mean, it's about time third parties had the liberty to promote their Switch 2 games, especially how the Switch's successor seems to be a very hot and up and coming requested machine.

I mean, it's about time third parties had the liberty to promote their Switch 2 games, especially how the Switch's successor seems to be a very hot and up and coming requested machine.
What I meant was, a lot of Bandai Namco multiplatform games ended up on Switch, but they'd wait a long time after PS/Xbox versions to even confirm it would happen. Like DBZ Kakarot that released in early 2020, but the Switch version not announced until mid-2021. So if a game that's releasing later this year will be announced for Nintendo before 2026, that's progress.

sounds sussy

Uhm did you even actually see the previews? While granted the previews only show a small part of the game, just a quick glance at IGN's, Gamespot's and VGC's previews you would realise that they are positive.

• Animal Crossing
  • Mario Kart 10
I don't think Nintendo would allow a situation where the Switch 1 get an exclusive Pokemon game that Switch 2 doesn't get, when their priority is to quickly grow the Switch 2 user base. Sure the Pokemon game will look like a Switch 1 game but it will be able to be bought on Switch 2 as well. That Pokemon game would be bigger than anything Switch 2 gets its first year except maybe Mario 3D game.

I don't think Nintendo would allow a situation where the Switch 1 get an exclusive Pokemon game that Switch 2 doesn't get, when their priority is to quickly grow the Switch 2 user base. Sure the Pokemon game will look like a Switch 1 game but it will be able to be bought on Switch 2 as well. That Pokemon game would be bigger than anything Switch 2 gets its first year except maybe Mario 3D game.
Splatoon 4 or Animal Crossing 6 coming soon on Switch sucessor, will depend which of this two franchises, Nintendo consider is a high priority to release on it next hardware, if Splatoon is a priority, Splatoon 4 will come first, and 2/3 years later Animal Crossing, if Animal Crossing is a priority the game will come first followed by Splatoon 4, 2026 seens more likely for a potential Animal Crossing on Switch sucessor, every game of the franchise has been released in a 4 year basis, Animal Crossing(2001), Animal Crossing Wild World(2005), Animal Crossing City Folk(2008), Animal Crossing New Leaf(2012) and Animal Crossing New Horizon(2020), Animal Crossing 6(2026?)

Back
Top Bottom