• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

How confident are you that one year from now (April 2nd, 2025) you will own a Switch 2 system?

• Absolutely

Votes: 108 56.3%
  • No because scalpers will kill my chances

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • I hope so, but it is probably farther out

Votes: 30 15.6%
  • Team second half 2025

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • Josh, please stop it

Votes: 21 10.9%

• Total voters
Assuming it takes place in September, I wouldn't go in expecting any announcements of games releasing beyond Summer 2025.
You want one big game almost every month, so with that in mind...

Super Mario Journey and Wii Sports/Nintendo Land/1-2 Switch equivalent for launch in March
Knightmare (New Monolith IP) in April
Mario Kart X in May
Kirby into Another Dimension in July
Hyrule Warriors: Sheikah in August
Donkey Kong: Culture Shock in September (announced later)
Mario Party in October (announced later)
Animal Crossing: Together Forever in November (announced later)

Super Mario Journey is because of the Hero's Journey, not because Odyssey -> Journey even though that does somewhat apply
I feel like Mario kart makes for a better holiday game, compare to animal crossing.

Also nice list, I would love for a new Kirby game next year, same goes for DK.

I don't think they'll ever put Animal Crossing out later than early September again

southern hemisphere aside, spring and summer make more sense as a time to start out with the game

What are some marketing gimmick y'all think we'll see for the switch 2, since the switch had couple of good ones, one being, making a huge deal with HD rumble.

Here's mine
  • DLSS
  • 4K out put (show's Mario in 4k)
  • 1080p Screen,
  • Improved dock
  • Better controls and the inclusion of a new button (scroll wheel)
  • More Oline functionality
  • The biggest one being Backward compatibility, with the inclusion of NG patches. The main question is how, since maybe they'll be locked behind NSO or hopefully they'll do the capcom route and give it for free.

What are some marketing gimmick y'all think we'll see for the switch 2, since the switch had couple of good ones, one being, making a huge deal with HD rumble.

Here's mine
  • DLSS
  • 1080p Screen,
  • Improved dock
  • The biggest one being Backward compatibility, with the inclusion of NG patches. The main question is how, since maybe they'll be locked behind NSO or hopefully they'll do the capcom route and give it for free.
DLSS won't be a marketing hook. That is way too technical and isn't different enough from currently employed upscaling. Not unless you want Nintendo to get on the AIAIAIAI train

Here's mine
  • DLSS
  • 1080p Screen,
  • Improved dock
i think they will market 4k, not using technical terms like dlss. It's not typical of Nintendo to market specs.

Agree with improved dock and controls (joycons).

But I think the biggest one will be all new jawdropping games. Could see both 3D Mario and MK10 being early titles heavily featured in marketing.

Also I hope for a reflective screen that works well in sunshine.

I would love, love, love if the Switch Successor would come with a Glassesfree 3D Screen like the New Nintendo 3DS.
I know the majority never used the 3D outside of testing it a few minutes but i loved it.
Playing my Pokemon Games in 3D was like looking into a small Terrarium, a tiny World.
Ioved watching 3D Videos on it and oogling at RPG Towns.
The Tech is surely here to have a realy great 3D Display with a moderate size to enjoy.
The chances are close to impossible but thats all i want if i could have a wish for the new Console.
All your other hopes and ideas are great too, no complaints. (and 3d should of course be optional, a bonus)

Here's mine
  • DLSS
  • 1080p Screen,
  • Improved dock
I doubt that BC will be the main one, it never was the main selling point for Nintendo, not even Sony used it as such for PS5. The only one who’s doing it is Xbox, but that isn’t surprising since they don’t have the 3rd party support of Sony or the frequent 1st party releases of Nintendo. I‘m not saying it won’t be a big selling point but certainly not the most important. Just imo anyway.

I doubt that BC will be the main one, it never was the main selling point for Nintendo, not even Sony used it as such for PS5. The only one who’s doing it is Xbox, but that isn’t surprising since they don’t have the 3rd party support of Sony or the frequent 1st party releases of Nintendo. I‘m not saying it won’t be a big selling point but certainly not the most important. Just imo anyway.
I see backwards compability more like an award to loyal hardcore consumers, average consumers don't care as much about BC but hardcore Nintendo fans who bought lots of games on Switch gets more on board by giving them BC on Switch 2.

I see backwards compability more like an award to loyal hardcore consumers, average consumers don't care as much about BC but hardcore Nintendo fans who bought lots of games on Switch gets more on board by giving them BC on Switch 2.
The thing with Backward compatibility, it gives consumers the initiative to continue being part of the switch ecosystem, like imagine wasting a lot of money for games for the switch and all of that just disappears.

The reason why the Ps5 had such a smooth transition is because people want to keep their account and games.

I think it’s also a good reminder that Nintendo, in press conference have always marketed backward compatibility, with the DS, game boy advance, Wii and Wii U.
Like the Wii was heavily marketed to be best way to play older Nintendo games with virtual consoles and GameCube backward compatibility.

One thing I can see is that the switch 2 revisions will removed the backward compatibility aspect to keep cost downs, like with the Wii and DS and even the gameboy advance micro.

What's everyone feeling of Cross gen title for this NG switch, since PS5 and Xbox series had that Issues and are thankfully now starting to utilise it's hardware with games like Alan Wake 2.

Like, In my opinion i only expect remasters, ports and NSO being the only thing being on the switch and smaller obscure titles as well.
in regard to cross-gen suport on Nintendo next console, i believe Nintendo will do 2/3 years of cross-gen and in year 3 of the console(2027) they will fully suport Switch sucessor

Stop talking, even thinking about a second delay. 1% pessimism is more powerful than 99% optimism (like we‘ve seen it the last months).

assuming we get a big presentation for switch 2 like the switch 1 had in January 2017, what do think the big games will be?

for me it's

Prime 4 if cross gen

open world Mario

Mario kart 9/10

2 new ip's

star fox

ending on a teaser trailer for OoT from the ground-up remake or a concept trailer for the next brand new Zelda
Forgot to add platinum games next Nintendo backed project (most likely astral chain 2)

NSW = Nintendo Switch
NNX = Nintendo Switch Next

NSW 01.16 - Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
NSW 02.13 - Xenoblade Chronicles X
NNX 03.06 - Super Mario Journey | New Experimental Game
NNX 04.03 - New Monolith Action IP
NNX 05.01 - Mario Kart X
NSW 05.29 - Pokémon Legends Z-A
NNX 06.26 - Kirby into Another Dimension
NSW 07.24 - Donkey Kong: Culture Shock
NNX 08.21 - Hyrule Warriors: Eye of the Sheikah
NSW 09.18 - Metroid Skybird
NNX 10.09 - Mario Party Next
NSW 10.30 - Ring Fit Champions
NNX 11.20 - Animal Crossing: Together Forever

in regard to cross-gen suport on Nintendo next console, i believe Nintendo will do 2/3 years of cross-gen and in year 3 of the console(2027) they will fully suport Switch sucessor
I was saying this months ago and felt like I couldn't escape heat I got from it.

1200px-NeXT_logo.svg.png

Weird no one has posted here these three rumors:

Weird no one has posted here these three rumors:

These are already discussed in the hardware thread (which kinda makes sense, since it’s hardware related).

Red bird can't confirm the validity of rumours, can confirm that similar talks have been happening among those groups privately with these details.
Is someone cooking? Or are we getting burnt toast for dinner? There's some pretty good talk in the Hardware thread as always per specs, but thought it would be worth posting here in terms of smoke.

"might not support existing joycons"
I laugh as I look over to my box full of defective ones, and then at the two mismatched functioning ones I have been using for over a year now, one of which is one of those HORI split pads.

I would love, love, love if the Switch Successor would come with a Glassesfree 3D Screen like the New Nintendo 3DS.
I know the majority never used the 3D outside of testing it a few minutes but i loved it.
Playing my Pokemon Games in 3D was like looking into a small Terrarium, a tiny World.
Ioved watching 3D Videos on it and oogling at RPG Towns.
The Tech is surely here to have a realy great 3D Display with a moderate size to enjoy.
The chances are close to impossible but thats all i want if i could have a wish for the new Console.
All your other hopes and ideas are great too, no complaints. (and 3d should of course be optional, a bonus)
I didn't use the 3D effect on the 3DS because the screen was small and the resolution was low, I couldn't even conceive how someone could enjoy that. But on Switch or even on Switch with a bigger screen and a much higher resolution (720p at least for the Switch 2 and with an even bigger screen than the Switch), it could surely be fantastic. Just imagine playing the next 3D Mario or Zelda in 3D, it could be amazing.

Last edited:
What are some indie games people hope get announced for Switch 2 early on?

Right now, I'm hoping we get very early confirmations (as a result of Nintendo partnering with them as part of the pre-launch console marketing) for Hades 2, The Plucky Squire, Mina the Hollower, and whatever Shin'en is working on.

Last edited:
Xenoblade Chronicles X Remaster or a new Monolith Soft game for 2025?
BOTH.

I love X but I want a new game. I'd love to see what that action RPG is. I think it'd kinda be cool for them to do a smaller scale RPG to get used to the new tech, and also kinda focus on more interactivity in the worlds. Monolith Soft have stellar art direction and attention to detail, and I'd love a game smaller in scale that lets them really populate those worlds with things to do.

But... I do really miss X and its exploration focus. Flying around Mira with a Skell is an experience no other game can create, and I think it has the best combat in the series. It's so snappy and fluid. Also looks better than every Xenoblade game other than 3.

So yeah, cop out answer: both.

What are some indie games people hope get announced for Switch 2 early on?

Right now, I'm hoping we get very early confirmations (as a result of Nintendo partnering with them as part of the pre-launch console marketing) for Hades 2, The Plucky Squire, Mina the Hollower, and whatever Shin'en is working on.

Kena and the Bridge of Spirits. It is a fantastic platformer that I think would do well on a Nintendo platformer

I didn't use the 3D effect on the 3DS because the screen was small and the resolution was low, I couldn't even conceive how someone could enjoy that.
If your concern was screen resolution on the 3DS, then you weren’t really doing yourself any favors by not using 3D, because the resolution is literally doubled width-wise on 3DS in 3D mode due to the autostereoscopic screen with its half-width pixels sending a 400x240 resolution image to each eye, creating an effectively 800x240 image. You’re literally seeing a bigger, better picture in 3D mode, and you lose that in 2D mode.

Also, the relatively low resolution worked in the 3DS’s favor when it came to its capability to display 3D, because two viewpoints have to be rendered at once for 3D, and it’s a whole lot easier to render two 400x240 viewpoints at once than it is to render two 1920x1080 viewpoints. I say this as someone who would very much like to see the return of autostereoscopic 3D on a new Nintendo system, too, but I recognize it would be rather difficult to realistically implement, unfortunately…

Kena and the Bridge of Spirits. It is a fantastic platformer that I think would do well on a Nintendo platformer
You've reminded me I bought this on PS5 and need to play it! I agree that it seems like a game that would be a good fit for Nintendo.

Here's the worst idea for a MonolithSoft game ever:

Project X Zone 3
  • But is a 2D Tag-Team Fighting Game similar to Marvel vs. Capcom and Dragon Ball FighterZ
  • Two buttons: Attack and Special
  • 6 vs. 6 teams (Shoulder Buttons + other two buttons)
  • The roster is full of Cartoony Video Game Mascots (a.k.a. Scrimblo Bimblo or Gwimbly)
  • From Square Enix, Konami and SNK (Goemon, Bomberman, Momotaro, Bonk, Chocobo, Moogle, Vivi FFIX, Marco Rossi), and only them

Basically, the ultimate monkey paw situation
Merging everything that people want, and making it a jumbled mess.

Back
Top Bottom