• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Nintendo might not have a major Switch title after Zelda as they prepare to move on to new hardware

Magic-Man

Perseus Jackson
Pronouns
He/Him
We've been discussing this in the Future Hardware thread, but I figured it could use its own thread. I want to start this by saying it's just a rumor, and we don't really know what's going on with future Nintendo hardware right now. However, this would make sense given how much DLC we're supposed to get next year. What are your thoughts?

Just a reminder, no big/significant titles doesn't mean no titles at all. I'm assuming this means system selling titles.

Last edited:
We've been discussing this in the Future Hardware thread, but I figured it could use its own thread. I want to start this by saying it's just a rumor, and we don't really know what's going on with future Nintendo hardware right now. However, this would make sense given how much DLC we're supposed to get next year. What are your thoughts?

So next year might be ports and DLC??

This really hinges on what their definition of "huge" and "significant" are.

if they're referring to tentpole titles like 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon... then yeah this makes total sense and is basically the same pattern of any other generation. Any exceptions are pretty much break glass in case of emergency panic Nintendo (eg. TP / BoTW cross-gen, MK8)

EDIT: lol

Last edited:
One thing to take to mind is, that Chris doesn't count games made by partners or "second party" titles like Pokémon. Only games made in-house EPD. We could still see games made by partners.

Another point, Nintendo is a difficult to predict and to get inside info on. Always take this kind of info with that in mind.

Yeah, so the 2D title in development at Kyoto and 3D and 2D games in development over at Tokyo are really not that big. And I doubt either of these is a exclusive title, if successor releases there will be crossgen at least for 1 or 2 years.

Pikmin 4 either:

doesn't count as big in the minds of the people reporting this

or

is far enough out as to not be picked up on by said people (i.e. we got a soft reveal like Animal Crossing in 2018
This is another point:

They probably don't see rumored games like MP1 and announced games like P4 and MP4 as huge 1st party games.

Pikmin 4 either:

doesn't count as big in the minds of the people reporting this

or

is far enough out as to not be picked up on by said people (i.e. we got a soft reveal like Animal Crossing in 2018)
Chris doesn't consider Pikmin as a "significant" game

I could maybe see this being true if the definition of "major" is limited to the massive 10mil+ types of games like 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Splatoon, etc. The only one of those I think we're really "due" for anyway at this point is a new 2D or 3D Mario. I would imagine we'll still see some games in that 3-5mil range, though. It would be a very strange type of incompetence to drop support for the system that quickly while it's still moving so much software.

How so? It's at least as big as a Kirby, Xenoblade, etc.
I'm talking Mario/Pokemon/Zelda/Animal Crossing/Splatoon and stuff like that. I wouldn't call it Kirby sized anymore either (Forgotten Land shot it into the mainstream). It's Metroid/Xenoblade/Fire Emblem sized for now.

Wouldn't surprise me if the new hardware is releasing March-ish 2024, leaving little room for any new "huge" releases for the OG Switch. Could be a 2020 level year where they have Scarlet/Violet bundled with the DLC plus another B-tier game for the holidays. That said, it's not even 2023, Nintendo could always have some left field announcement very few people are aware of. I wouldn't bet my money on Nintendo's lineup months in advance.

It’s pretty easy to gleam he means the likes of 3D Mario, 3D Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon, etc. The games that the core and casual audience both get excited over. DK, while big, would never get the same type of mainstream attention or sales that a Mario game would receive, for instance.

bad news for anyone who thinks Pikmin is huge

tumblr_l6qqliTiHI1qa0uujo1_500.png
n3nwsm9719561.jpg

This really hinges on what their definition of "huge" and "significant" are.... if they're referring to tentpole titles like 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash... then yeah this makes total sense
That's true, but we also know that EPD 8 have both a 3D and 2D game in production that will launch on Switch, and that EPD 10 have a 2D game in production that will launch on Switch.

Equally, Nintendo will have something big out in October or November, because that's their real money-making period. Is five or six months after Zelda all that long?
Yeah, so the 2D title in development at Kyoto and 3D and 2D games in development over at Tokyo are really not that big. And I doubt either of these is a exclusive title, if successor releases there will be crossgen at least for 1 or 2 years.
These games are likely mainline Super Mario titles and mainline Donkey Kong. They're big games. Now maybe none are due until 2024, or people are guessing. Remember when everybody had heard - repeatedly - that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were coming in 2021, and then again in 2022?

I agree those games are cross-gen, but they're internal EPD productions and two of them are Super Mario. They're going to be big efforts.
2023 might be a mid year, strap in

(though historically mid switch years are my favorite)
To be fair while I am sceptical of people saying "no significant Nintendo title for a while" (because this can easily mean "no core big budget single player game for a while"), I did expect next year to be lower on new releases, high on dlc, and have at least 3 or 4 re-releases.

I have also predicted an Animal Crossing spin off from NdCube as a major winter 2023 title and that absolutely doesn't count as a big game if you're a games journalist.

No date for MP4 and Zelda confirmed for May. However to counter that, we need to first see the February direct and then also the end of quarter investors meeting. To be devil's advocate, Metroid Dread was announced and launched within 6 months. Not the "biggest" or most "significant" title, but it speaks more of how Nintendo can announce games out of left field.

At the end of the day, I still stand on Switch 2 for 2024.

Simple as that.

No:

• mainline Mario
  • new Mario Kart
  • new Zelda
  • new Splatoon
  • new Animal Crossing
  • Metroid Prime 4

Still on the table:

• Metroid Prime 4
  • Pikmin 4
  • Mario spinoffs
  • Pokémon spinoffs
  • Astral Chain 2, for example
  • Splatoon tactics, for example
  • Xenoblade Warriors, for example
  • literally anything third party
  • literally anything else that's not a 10+ million EPD tent pole release

In other words,

That's true, but we also know that EPD 8 have both a 3D and 2D games in production that will launch on Switch, and that EPD 10 have a 2D game in production that will launch on Switch.

Equally, Nintendo will have something big out in October or November, because that's their real money-making period. Is five or six months after Zelda all that long?

These games are likely mainline Super Mario titles and mainline Donkey Kong. They're big games. Now maybe none are due until 2024, or people are guessing. Remember when everybody had heard - repeatedly - that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were coming in 2021, and then again in 2022?

I agree those games are cross-gen, but they're internal EPD productions and two of them are Super Mario. They're going to be big efforts.

To be fair while I am sceptical of people saying "no significant Nintendo title for a while" (because this can easily mean "no core big budget single player game for a while"), I did expect next year to be lower on new releases, high on dlc, and have at least 3 or 4 re-releases.

I have also predicted an Animal Crossing spin off from NdCube as a major winter 2023 title and that absolutely doesn't count as a big game if you're a games journalist.
We don't know if 2D/3D Mario will launch on Switch. That was never confirmed and development could easily switch systems at any time.

Simple as that.

This statement doesn't refer to Pikmins, Pokémon spin-offs, Mario spin-offs, Zelda ports, a Splatoon tactics game, Xenoblade Warriors, literally anything that's not a 10+ million EPD-produced tent pole release.
I edited the OP to say this. I think people glanced at my OP and assumed I meant any title. Should have been more informative I guess.

Not sure if you got my point, of course they are big games:D it was a sarcastic post.
I would go as far as saying that new 3D Mario launches in Holidays, I can't think of any bigger title to make more sense. But we just have to wait till February and see what will or wouldn't be announced.

If it has cross-gen or backwards compatibility support I think it’s a non-issue. But until we actually know what it is it’s kinda moot to be getting worried.

Also just because they might not have an established IP ready to rip out of the gates doesn’t mean anything. If you had told me a pack-in lightweight sports party game was going to be the killer app for a new system I would’ve called you a liar.

2023 might be a mid year, strap in

(though historically mid switch years are my favorite)
I could use a mid year after 2022

At bare minimum we know Pikmin 4 and metroid prime 4 are coming. If the quoted person means nothing on the tier of BOTW, yeah, no shit, it's the 4th best selling game in the system. Those games were already exceedingly rare.

Honestly I actually kind hate it when it's the phrase 'significant game' because that's often used to exclude large numbers of games that are exciting, interesting and worthwhile.

Like, in this case, Pikmin 4.
We don't know if 2D/3D Mario will launch on Switch. That was never confirmed and development could easily switch systems at any time.
I still expect a cross-gen approach for these games because I assume they will be out by the end of 2024.

This really hinges on what their definition of "huge" and "significant" are.

if they're referring to tentpole titles like 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash, Splatoon... then yeah this makes total sense and is basically the same pattern of any other generation. Any exceptions are pretty much break glass in case of emergency panic Nintendo (eg. TP / BoTW cross-gen, MK8)

EDIT: lol

What he typed: "Pikmin isn't a significant game"
What he is actually saying: "I forgot that Pikmin 4 was already announced and I need to come up with some excuse to explain why I overlooked it before Tweeting".

I could use a mid year after 2022

The middest years of the Switch have brought me my absolute top-tier favorite Switch games:

• Torna (2018)
  • Dark Souls: Remastered (2018)
  • Trials of Mana (Remake) (2020)
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King (2020)
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe (2020)
  • Hades (2020)

To his creadit he says that "i'm not convinced" and not "I have heard". The words people always misunderstood with insiders.

If 'significant game' means 'internally developed EPD title with a large budget and 10 million plus sales potential' then yes, I'd be very surprised if, after Zelda, there's another title of that caliber completely exclusive to Switch. I'd also be beyond surprised if Nintendo got to 2024 without talking about new hardware.

I feel like 3 to 4 years of people predicting Switch Pro has really obscured the simple historical fact that Nintendo usually move on a generation after roughly six years. It's time for the exclusive marquee titles to die down and it's time for new hardware, because these two talking points... aren't all that surprising, ultimately?

The thing that most confuses things for me right now is how long a cross generation period Nintendo go for, how much exclusive software they want on new hardware from day one, and the precise launch timing in 2023 or 2024 for a new system.

There's soooooo much DLC coming next year, I wonder if Nintendo planned it to help pad the gap between Zelda and the new console while OG Switch releases start to taper off.

Just look at this:

-Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Expansion Pass
-Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope Rayman Expansion
-Splatoon 3 single-player expansion + regular updates
-Xenoblade Chronicles 3 Story Expansion
-Fire Emblem Engage Season Pass
-Pokemon Scarlet and Violet DLC (unannounced for now, but almost certainly happening considering how they handled SWSH)

Whew

Last edited:
Why are we acting like Nintendo insiders don't get stuff wrong sometimes? Literally every major insider has a rumor that didn't come true, whether that be Nate or Emily or King Zell or Jeff Grubb.

That's why nothing should be held as gospel until it's officially confirmed by Nintendo.

Back
Top Bottom