• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST23 August 2023 | Things get WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my SMW replay up to Valley Of Bowser and I think the fortress here is a dark horse for the hardest level in the game

Those spike pillars are a huge pain in the ass and it's worse when if you get hit closer to the middle of them, you almost always die after your first hit because the game considers it a crushing death even while you have invincibility frames

Deep sale

I googled Steam prices to compare only to find out... it's not on Steam

Definitely grabbing this now

Last edited:
Screenshot-1897-e1684172659396.png
Mushroom people mushroom people.

Look like mushroom; talk like people.

I often wonder why Nintendo is so reluctant in (re)releasing the Mother-series in the west. Yes, the western release of Mother 2/Earthbound was a disaster, but they didn't make the effort for Earthbound Beginnings for nothing right? There is an audience.

Yes, I just want all the Mother games physically released in a beautiful collection that does the work justice. :)

I often wonder why Nintendo is so reluctant in (re)releasing the Mother-series in the west. Yes, the western release of Mother 2/Earthbound was a disaster, but they didn't make the effort for Earthbound Beginnings for nothing right? There is an audience.
Beginnings was as low-effort as you could get. It's basically an official release of the English prototype which was dumped that Demi and co hacked the copy protection out of and put up on the internet way back in the day. The only reason it got a release is because NoJ was finally able to put Mother 2 on the Virtual Console during the Wii U period and Mother 1 was part of the marketing hype. So NoA followed as best they could.

Yes, I just want all the Mother games physically released in a beautiful collection that does the work justice. :)
I'd be shocked if that wasn't a holy grail for Limited Run Games or Fangamer.

Always assumed Mother, especially 3, is held back by the whole music stuff? I remember that one Video from MoonChannel about it 🤔

Beginnings was as low-effort as you could get. It's basically an official release of the English prototype which was dumped that Demi and co hacked the copy protection out of and put up on the internet way back in the day. The only reason it got a release is because NoJ was finally able to put Mother 2 on the Virtual Console during the Wii U period and Mother 1 was part of the marketing hype. So NoA followed as best they could.

I'd be shocked if that wasn't a holy grail for Limited Run Games or Fangamer.
Yeah, I know about the hack, but at least we got to play it legally :)
But there's still Mother 3. Was kinda hoping with GBA coming to Switch it was a given but no unfortunately.

And no way Nintendo will ever allow LRG or FG do that to the series. I mean, they will put it out themselves or it's not coming.

But there's still Mother 3. Was kinda hoping with GBA coming to Switch it was a given but no unfortunately.
I think it’ll happen for the JP NSO. I don’t think I’ve read about any division actually completing an official localization. I remember NoE had plans to at one point but other than them announcing intent nothing materialized.

If it was called Zarfield...
Would it hate Zondays and crave Zasgna?

Sadly, Nintendo has been really reluctant to give classic JP-only games translations. I guess they love to keep these things in the back pocket on the off-chance that they remake them one day in the distant future like they did with Famicom Detective Club.

I think it’ll happen for the JP NSO. I don’t think I’ve read about any division actually completing an official localization. I remember NoE had plans to at one point but other than them announcing intent nothing materialized.
Yeah, though Nintendo is definitely aware. I remember the E3 where Nintendo and Robot Chicken collaborated and referenced it. It's just weird to me because there is a fanbase in the west and the IP is everything but dead, Itoi makes sure with Hobonichi. One day it'll happen I hope :)

Sadly, Nintendo has been really reluctant to give classic JP-only games translations. I guess they love to keep these things in the back pocket on the off-chance that they remake them one day in the distant future like they did with Famicom Detective Club.
From following the romhacking / fan translation scene for decades, it’s really hard work to hack the compiled code to insert new languages. The other option is special emulators that inject the text on the fly which I think we’ve seen with things like the Double Dragon & Kunio collection.

I’m assuming that at this point Nintendo has lost a lot of the source code to their older games similar to other companies. If they had the source I’m sure they would probably have done more games by now. Everything that’s come “out of the archives” I think has been stuff they were sitting on with the possible exception of the Fire Emblem 1 limited release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom