• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST22 July 2023 | PIKMINVASION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoooooo I kind of need advise from people here. Wanted to start a topic with a poll but I'm afraid it doesn't warrant its own topic so I ask it here.

I have a good collection of PS4 games. My PS4 is the original base model. I expected to upgrade to PS5 by now for two reasons:
  • I expected a slim model, or at least a new model with a more streamlined design instead of the 2003-router design of the PS5 which I can't stand plus the size of the thing is just too much. Of course, that new model never came
  • I expected a bigger library of games that interest me by now. However, it is lacking and the PS5 games I want are only a few. Really want Demon's Souls, Returnal and some PS4 upgrades like Yakuza: LaD though.
Still, I want a device to play my PS4 games since my PS4 base model is slowly dying.

Long story short: should I go for a new PS4 which is of course cheaper, or go for a PS5 anyway to be future proof if more interesting PS5 games will drop the coming years?
Can you clean out your PS4 (vacuum, maybe replace the HD with a SSD) to prolong its life so you can hold out for a PS5 revision?

Yoooooo I kind of need advise from people here. Wanted to start a topic with a poll but I'm afraid it doesn't warrant its own topic so I ask it here.

I have a good collection of PS4 games. My PS4 is the original base model. I expected to upgrade to PS5 by now for two reasons:
  • I expected a slim model, or at least a new model with a more streamlined design instead of the 2003-router design of the PS5 which I can't stand plus the size of the thing is just too much. Of course, that new model never came
  • I expected a bigger library of games that interest me by now. However, it is lacking and the PS5 games I want are only a few. Really want Demon's Souls, Returnal and some PS4 upgrades like Yakuza: LaD though.
Still, I want a device to play my PS4 games since my PS4 base model is slowly dying.

Long story short: should I go for a new PS4 which is of course cheaper, or go for a PS5 anyway to be future proof if more interesting PS5 games will drop the coming years?
Is your PS4 collection mostly physical or digital? We have no idea if the PS5 slim will have a disc drive. If you have a bunch of physical games, buy a PS5. If digital, hold out for the slim.

Can you clean out your PS4 (vacuum, maybe replace the HD with a SSD) to prolong its life so you can hold out for a PS5 revision?
Thanks for the suggestion. I already did that but in no time it gets noisy again. I really think it's time to upgrade :)

Is your PS4 collection mostly physical or digital? We have no idea if the PS5 slim will have a disc drive. If you have a bunch of physical games, buy a PS5. If digital, hold out for the slim.
I'm all about physical. If there is a physical release, I buy it physical so a disc version is really mandatory I'm afraid. But maybe I hold out for the slim anyway, the PS5 might get a price cut then, hopefully.

Decided to rent Super Mario 3D All Stars for 15 days.

I'm mostly interested in playing through Super Mario Galaxy, since that game enchanted me when I was younger and I couldn't play it because I didn't own a Wii. That's the game I wanna play until the credits roll.

But I'll try out Sunshine and see if it is my thing.

Now that I'm on vacation I wanna play Switch games until I forget my name.

I was looking into repairing an old DS Lite I still have, one of the screens broke way back when and I just held on to it.

Apparently DS Lites are super cheap now, repairing one would cost almost as much as just buying another one.

Kind of surprising to me, as the DS Lite was the last model to have a GBA slot

This is just me posting (no staff post), we are probably less than a month away from when the next Nintendo Direct Speculation thread will drop and I haven’t seen anyone talk about it. I want to throw my hat into the ring for hosting this one as I think I have fun ideas for it and tons of enthusiasm. Raccoon is taking a break from the site so the field for hosts is more open. I was thinking the next thread should be posted around August 15th regardless so we have a good month of speculation ahead of the Tokyo Game Show. If anyone else wants to host, let Fami know so we can get this planned :)

I always have ideas for future Direct Speculation threads that I bandy about in my head from time to time. :unsure:

The best part of a new anime is all the characters saying their full names, job/position titles, and familial relationships so the audience can learn who they are.

"Well if it isn't my older brother and class student president, Johnny McMonsterSlayer"
"Good morning, little brother Freddy McMonsterSlayer. Will you be monster slaying with our parents, Nancy and Edward, heads of the Monster Slaying Clan, later today?"

Did a couple songs in Theatrhythm. The real problem is now I wanna go back and finish the post game/true story from TWEWY and finally start up my copy of the sequel. But I’m not that good at it so I’m worried about beating that part
I have stepped on Canadian soil AMA
Did you get attacked by wild Moose?

Ater completing FFXVI a little while ago, I decided to play FFVI for the first time. Just finished VI a few minutes ago and...it lived up to the hype. It's incredible how much emotion they pulled out of those sprites. I actually got chills at multiple moments throughout the game. Fantastic story and characters. If I were to rank the FF games I've played, it'd probably go like this:

8. FF8
7. FF12
6. FF15
5. FF16
4. FF10
3. FF7
2. FF6
1. FF9

I absolutely adore this series. So many memorable moments and songs and stories and worlds and characters. I've played a little bit of XIII and XIV, but not enough to rank them. I may get around to them (and the others) one day, but I'm satisfied for now. And finishing with FFVI definitely felt like the cherry on top.

This is just me posting (no staff post), we are probably less than a month away from when the next Nintendo Direct Speculation thread will drop and I haven’t seen anyone talk about it. I want to throw my hat into the ring for hosting this one as I think I have fun ideas for it and tons of enthusiasm. Raccoon is taking a break from the site so the field for hosts is more open. I was thinking the next thread should be posted around August 15th regardless so we have a good month of speculation ahead of the Tokyo Game Show. If anyone else wants to host, let Fami know so we can get this planned :)
I’m ready, and August 15th feels about right! Hard to believe that we’re actually not that far off.

Some of these game ideas are downright incredible. Wow.

Honestly if you have an idle afternoon, check out any of the GMTK Game Jams. Insanely creative stuff in those things. My fave from this year’s video has to be the reverse Breakout game. I’d pay for that!

What is this renting thing you are talking about?
It’s kinda like a streaming service. You pay to use stuff you don’t own

Did it feel like you stepped into Mario Kart?

Switzerland!
Well I’m headed for Switzerland. I shall temporarily become Dardan Sandiego.

Just finished VI a few minutes ago and...it lived up to the hype
Warms my heart to see all the love for FF6. It really is a great RPG. I’m not even an FF fan and I love FF6.

Maybe I should buy the Pixel Remaster…

No one posting about Jeff Grubb saying Prime 2 Remastered is soonish and something non TotK Zelda related this year yet? Fami be slipping. 😝
I don’t listen to Grubb. Plus I was busy.

I’ll self-ban my account as penance.

seriously though, wasn’t Grubb one of the people denying we’d get a Nintendo Direct in June or insisting it was in July?

We really did the “wait where are you traveling from/to” thing and no one did a “Where in the World is Dardan Sandiego?” joke? I am shocked and appalled, I tell you.
On one hand, you're absolutely right that that should have been one of our responses.

On the other hand, he told us where he was right off the bat, so 😅

Highlight of Tokyo trip so far; made friends with a Chinese grandpa at the wedding we attended. He spoke no English and I don't speak Chinese, but we bonded over the mutual language of having a beer.

How long did it take for you to have your first dish of Poutine?

Highlight of Tokyo trip so far; made friends with a Chinese grandpa at the wedding we attended. He spoke no English and I don't speak Chinese, but we bonded over the mutual language of having a beer.

You know what's funny, during my lunch breaks, i've started to watch some videos about what asian people (Korea, Japan) know about other countries.
Of course, i was most interested in the Germany episodes.

I felt a bit defeated after the nth answer to the first question ("What comes to your mind when i say Germany?") being "Beer and sausages!".

Like ... please people. We're Germany. We invented the car. Also, we're also world-leading experts in bread and bread variety.

;_;

I was looking at some prints, expecting to see y'know, artwork. By artists. Wtf is this lol...

Hmm. I recognize that!

dbe9d5f9e636ba09d30e17a04bcc6030.jpg

Link too? Aw man.

Even Mega Man isn't safe from being turned into "art".

I was looking at some prints, expecting to see y'know, artwork. By artists. Wtf is this lol...

If you are looking to get awesome prints, I'll recommend INPRNT instead. They have some really gorgeous artworks in there directly from the artists.
And no AI artworks too.

If you are looking to get awesome prints, I'll recommend INPRNT instead. They have some really gorgeous artworks in there directly from the artists.
And no AI artworks too.
I love INPRNT! Haha. I've already formed a small collection of Metroid prints through them. Nothing like supporting the artists directly. I'd just seen this thread over on ResetEra, and decided to check if there was anything cool I could add to my collection via one of the print shops linked in the OP. I encountered the dreck I posted above, and immediately went wtf. Just blatant asset flips being sold as $25 prints by some shyster! Unfortunate.

Since you brought up INPRNT, I'm gonna use this post to shout-out gorgeous, real artwork created by some immensely talented folks. These are some of my favorites, and I own prints of all of them. AI art and asset flips can go sit on a pineapple.

I love INPRNT! Haha. I've already formed a small collection of Metroid prints through them. Nothing like supporting the artists directly. I'd just seen this thread over on ResetEra, and decided to check if there was anything cool I could add to my collection via one of the print shops linked in the OP. I encountered the dreck I posted above, and immediately went wtf. Just blatant asset flips being sold as $25 prints by some shyster! Unfortunate.

Since you brought up INPRNT, I'm gonna use this post to shout-out gorgeous, real artwork created by some immensely talented folks. These are some of my favorites, and I own prints of all of them. AI art and asset flips can go sit on a pineapple.

I get the feeling you're somewhat of a Metroid fan, huh?

As someone who hasn't played them (and as someone who isn't an open world gamer), I'd really like Jeff to be correct on TPHD/WWHD ports. They seem like neat little games that I missed because my parents couldn't afford to buy me games.

A few days in Lucerne. Luzern? How do you spell it.

EDIT: What kinda grub do I grab there, by the way
Beautiful city! If you want something traditionally Swiss, try the Rösti. Any variation is good, most people go for eggs + bacon. I don’t eat pork so I go for the cheesy option if there is any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom