• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST22 July 2023 | PIKMINVASION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, depending on where you are in Canada, I think we have at least 4 Fami members within reasonable vicinity of one another 👀

What spurred the trip and what's major on the itinerary? If you're in Toronto I know a handful of vegan/vegetarian restaurants that are pretty dope you might be interested in checking out! Also barcades; I know they're a dime a dozen around the world but I still have my favourites with Zed*80 and Tilt Arcade (RIP, but one day to return this summer)
Not doing much in terms of sightseeing, I'm afraid. We're in Vancouver until the 21st, visiting my family tomorrow and then leaving on a long camping trip (hitting Victoria, Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Banff and everything inbetween). Actually planned to do this three years ago but things happened as you probably remember.

I just realized that I will be heading back to the Netherlands when the Tokyo Game Show starts. Fudge.

Oh well. Btw, if anyone has tips on something cool to do in Tokyo, let me know!
Assuming it’s your first time in Tokyo:
  • The Robot Restaurant is a great show to watch and definitely worth the price of admission (just don’t eat there and beware if you’re claustrophobic as the show takes place in an underground room).
  • There’s a good sushi train restaurant at Shibuya called Uobei, if you’re looking for a place to eat good cheap sushi and drink highball it’s the perfect spot.
  • The Gotokuji temple is a must-see, also the neighborhood around it is very charming, a nice place to wander and see the more authentic Japanese day-to-day life.
  • Don’t miss on the Tokyo National Museum, I am not a big museum guy (ADHD and stuff) but I really was fascinated when I visited.
  • If you don’t know where to eat one day, just go to the nearest Ichiran Ramen.
  • A no-fuss location to see the Shibuya scramble from above is the Occitane Cafe.
  • Especially if you drink beer – but also if you don’t – the Asahi Sky Room is a great place to watch the sunset with a view. There’s also the Tokyo Solomachi shopping and dining complex nearby with a lot of fun shops.
  • Finally, if you like the movie Lost in Translation and wanna grab a drink in the legendary New York Bar at the Park Hyatt, it’s an awesome place but be aware that there’s a ¥2000 cover charge after 8PM.

Metroid Prime Tech Lead interview on the Dev Game Club podcast:

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but seems like an interesting peek behind the curtain

I just realized that I will be heading back to the Netherlands when the Tokyo Game Show starts. Fudge.

If you do model kits at all Shokugan Modeling Project(SMP) are pretty rad, Small, and have an insane markup overseas(most don’t officially get released over here). Definitely worth it if you see any fun ones there tho, they’re solid builds

I forgot you also had a chance to participate in the nintendo live with the pax west ticket, and I actually got an entrance now!

Assuming it’s your first time in Tokyo:
  • The Robot Restaurant is a great show to watch and definitely worth the price of admission (just don’t eat there and beware if you’re claustrophobic as the show takes place in an underground room).
  • There’s a good sushi train restaurant at Shibuya called Uobei, if you’re looking for a place to eat good cheap sushi and drink highball it’s the perfect spot.
  • The Gotokuji temple is a must-see, also the neighborhood around it is very charming, a nice place to wander and see the more authentic Japanese day-to-day life.
  • Don’t miss on the Tokyo National Museum, I am not a big museum guy (ADHD and stuff) but I really was fascinated when I visited.
  • If you don’t know where to eat one day, just go to the nearest Ichiran Ramen.
  • A no-fuss location to see the Shibuya scramble from above is the Occitane Cafe.
  • Especially if you drink beer – but also if you don’t – the Asahi Sky Room is a great place to watch the sunset with a view. There’s also the Tokyo Solomachi shopping and dining complex nearby with a lot of fun shops.
  • Finally, if you like the movie Lost in Translation and wanna grab a drink in the legendary New York Bar at the Park Hyatt, it’s an awesome place but be aware that there’s a ¥2000 cover charge after 8PM.
Thanks for the tips :D

If you do model kits at all Shokugan Modeling Project(SMP) are pretty rad, Small, and have an insane markup overseas(most don’t officially get released over here). Definitely worth it if you see any fun ones there tho, they’re solid builds
Well model kits aren’t my thing, but I do know of a store called Hero Gangu in Osaka which I intend to visit. Have lots of Transformers :3

I wonder how long it'll take for Skyrim to get a full on remake? I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet to be honest. A next gen remake-ster in the style of Windwaker HD/Metroid Prime Remastered with improved combat and character models would be pretty great.

I got loads lmao! Tokyo is awesome! Please visit the Capcom cafe if it still exists and order the onion rings (yes it is a tourist trap). Also, get a train pass, travel train lines and just get out wherever and get lost in Tokyo :)

Let me know what you loved when you come back, I just locked my plane tickets in for December 👋

We haven't gotten an NSO game this month yet have we? I expected an N64 game or at least GBA by now.

dpXKJy0.jpg

Not doing much in terms of sightseeing, I'm afraid. We're in Vancouver until the 21st, visiting my family tomorrow and then leaving on a long camping trip (hitting Victoria, Port Hardy, Prince Rupert, Jasper, Banff and everything inbetween). Actually planned to do this three years ago but things happened as you probably remember.
Ahh, right right right, now I remember Jasper/Banff. Still, a gorgeous place to be camping and wholly jealous of your stay in the Rockies! Hope you have a good time regardless (and yeah, in Jasper, find Papa George's Restaurant, it's vegan friendly and based on the photos of the interior it's where I remember having the banana bread french toast. That shit slaps.)

And also if in Vancouver and going to Granville Island, stop by the brewery there if craft beer is your jam fake edit haha the retail store is apparently closed for some indiscernible reason 🙃 But man if they were open, just about everything on tap is divine

I’m only maybe halfway through it but I think I like Ys IX more than I liked VIII, and I really liked VIII.
Interesting! I'd love to hear your thoughts when you finish it and where you'd place it then. I still liked Ys 9 quite a bit, but I overall like 8 a lot more. Although now that I think about it, I feel like Ys 9 has a much stronger first half, whereas Ys 8 really shines in the second half.

This makes me even more excited for this game than I already was:

I really, really liked Blasphemous, but probably my biggest complaint was that it didn't really feel like a Metroidvania since it had kind of an odd structure where while there were traversal powers and upgrades, they were entirely optional and only led to other optional things. So the entire 'feel' of the game was a bit off in how you explored new areas, how you were rewarded for going back to old places, and so on (at least IMO). Having more metroidvania-y elements, more weapons, and more variety sounds fantastic.

Been a lot of pizza lately, thanks to Zelda.

I said a while back that I always play some TotK before work because I start fairly late.
Well, that also results in "I should stop playing and prepare a lunch box...
... nah, I want to play just 10 more minutes. I can get pizza from the store instead."

Been a lot of pizza lately, thanks to Zelda.

I said a while back that I always play some TotK before work because I start fairly late.
Well, that also results in "I should stop playing and prepare a lunch box...
... nah, I want to play just 10 more minutes. I can get pizza from the store instead."
Omg I didn't recognize you with the new avatar!!
(but still, yay Terra!)

With the Pokemon Center and Warp Zone subforums officially closing, I was sad we were going to be losing our home for retro gaming discussion for Fami. I had asked people in the feedback thread if there would be interest in having an ST for Retro Games with a focus on playing them kind of like the RPGs ST and I got a bunch of Yeah!s so I went ahead and made one! The Warp Zone can live on forever now! Please check it out and have fun posting whenever you want to talk about Retro Games :)

This is the monkey game people have been speculating about right?

Cranky Kong: [to the crowd] Okay, simmer down.
[the crowd continues to chant]

Cranky Kong: I said simmer down!
[everyone except for King Kong stops chanting]

Cranky Kong: That means you, King Kong!

the next game from the Rain World devs is probably being revealed here in 45 minutes:

it's been over three years since they first started uploading weird teasers for it, so I'm very excited to see anything about the actual game

I did not win last night’s Power Ball so my mission to single handedly make Pikmin 4 the best selling game in the franchise is a bust.

Obviously touch screen controls aren't it, but damn I could love nostalgic convenience features for NSO in the future like console skins.

Got Pikmin 4 pre ordered (voucher) but I’m still only 19/30 on Pikmin 1. The game is pretty difficult.

Last edited:
The annoying thing about FF16's sales is that it's not overwhelming success nor an overwhelming failure. It sold just enough to straddle the line between success and disappointment so depending on whatever math, charts, and relative numbers you bring to the discussion, you can argue either way. Thus, trapping everyone in a forever debate.

The annoying thing about FF16's sales is that it's not overwhelming success nor an overwhelming failure. It sold just enough to straddle the line between success and disappointment so depending on whatever math, charts, and relative numbers you bring to the discussion, you can argue either way. Thus, trapping everyone in a forever debate.
There's an easy solution to that: Don't.

Feeling like doing something stupid and resetting my Monster Hunter Rise file instead of getting right back to Sunbreak.

I got loads lmao! Tokyo is awesome! Please visit the Capcom cafe if it still exists and order the onion rings (yes it is a tourist trap). Also, get a train pass, travel train lines and just get out wherever and get lost in Tokyo :)
Train pass is already in my possession. Well the voucher it is.

Let me know what you loved when you come back, I just locked my plane tickets in for December 👋
Japan in December is pretty cool

Been a while since I started Sunbreak and all I can really remember is Fiorayne is currently out of commission. Not sure how far in I am or how much grind I have left. I really like the early parts of these games too.
Fio being out of commission means you've done two of the three Lords already, so that's a good chunk of Sunbreak's campaign done, as far as I can tell. I'm not done with the expansion myself just yet, though.

I put the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles OST thinking this would be a nice way to chill out for the last hour of work with some cozy tunes.

I completely forgot how serene and nap inducing the music is.

Last edited:
Fuck, Barbie was so good! One of the most abstract studio movies I’ve seen in a while (there’s definitely some Tati and Demy in it), a bit overwritten at times but a real joy overall ; very funny, feminist and bold, with a three Michelin star casting (especially a wonderful Ryan Gosling). Definitely in my top 5 of 2023 so far.

Fuck, Barbie was so good! One of the most abstract studio movies I’ve seen in a while (there’s definitely some Tati and Demy in it), a bit overwritten at times but a real joy overall ; very funny, feminist and bold, with a three Michelin star casting (especially a wonderful Ryan Gosling). Definitely in my top 5 of 2023 so far.
Gonna watch it tonight with my GF, she's really anxious for it and the WoM has been incredible. I'm sure we're in for a very good time :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom