• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread | ST22 July 2023 | PIKMINVASION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cartwright continues to be a National treasure

I genuinely love this guy. Stumbling across his videos ended up making me so much more excited for such a wider breadth of games than I’d ever been playing, and he comes across as the loveliest, warmest, funniest, most genuine man. Really hoping his partner recovers well and they indeed get to play Four Swords before the baby can crawl.

It's 2AM and I'm coming up with random boss mechanics in my head. Wtf am I doing.

Basically, every time you heal the boss would heal the exact same amount based on percentage. Let's say you're down to 30HP. You heal 30HP and now have 60HP. The boss was at 250HP and now has 500HP. It would turn into healing into a strategical choice. You can keep going and risk death, or heal and create an uphill battle.

Hypothetically, this could ADD to the bosses health bar as well.

You worked on the Earthbound marketing didn’t you?

Hey i'm not THAT old, okay?

I'll be going around Europe! Technically for seminars but you bet I'm gonna try to cram a vacation in there

Picked some good time to travel through Europe. More than half of the continent is dealing with record heat, tourist spots are partially closed down due to that.

Better make sure those seminar places have air condition!

It's 2AM and I'm coming up with random boss mechanics in my head. Wtf am I doing.

Basically, every time you heal the boss would heal the exact same amount based on percentage. Let's say you're down to 30HP. You heal 30HP and now have 60HP. The boss was at 250HP and now has 500HP. It would turn into healing into a strategical choice. You can keep going and risk death, or heal and create an uphill battle.

Sounds massively frustrating and pretty difficult to balance via game designer.

Like, would healing 30HP help? What damage would a boss like this be able to dish out? Because bluntly said, if the boss would be able to undo the healed amount of HP within one or two attacks/turns/whatever, then a percentage based healing for the boss based on your healing would be broken.

The only way this wouldn't be too frustrating would be if you were to add also a percentage based mirroring for doing self-damage on you character(s).
Or something like, if there are status conditions (poisoned and so on), that these also get mirrored to the boss with percentage basing.

More than half of the continent is dealing with record heat, tourist spots are partially closed down due to that
I live in the tropics, heat and humidity are close personal friends haha. I'm willing to take those in exchange for more wiggle room!

I've never seen snow in real life
surprise-unbelievable.gif

Though I don't love snow. Autumn/Fall and Spring ftw!

Snow is the best.

People who're bad at driving might leave the car at home.
You can go skiing or sledging with the fam.
I don't have to sweat.
You can have snowball fights!
I don't have to sweat.
It looks romantic when you have a walk with your SO!
Also your SO might be closer to you while walking because it's cold.
I don't have to sweat.

Yeah, snow and winter are great.

This might be a sus take but I kind of want Nintendo to go for a more realistic or detailed art style on the next Zelda game. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom have my favorite art style in the series and I love it but playing Twilight Princess on dolphin with bloom disabled I felt there was some artistic design that is undervalued thanks to the bloom / overuse of browns or dusk / ugly npcs. Would be pretty cool too since it would kind of match the greater emphasis on fleshed out cultures and worldbuilding the newer games go for

Where does this faith in others stem from? xD

The naive and child-like believe in the good things from my smaller kids sometimes rubs off on me.

Normally it's balanced out by the grumpyness of the teenager in the house, but for some reason she's not as grumpy and asshole-teenage-ish as usual.

I'm thiiiiis close to finishing ToTK (not 100%, but a lot of stuff done), I was hoping to finish this weekend, but had a board game thingy with friends on Saturday, and my gf comes back from vacation today or tomorrow, there's Barbieheimer, the board game thingy in library this Saturday... So I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish this week or the next. Kind of anxious of finishing this after playing only this game for so long.

I want to start TotK, but ... too many other games! 🫠 FF7R in particular has been my go-to game as of late; but I'm also sporadically dipping my toes back into Elden Ring of all things (@SammyJ9 I just can't stop it 😂)

I love that random inspiration you get late at night.

In your case it would absolutely depend on the type of game and how stats work but it does sound pretty frustrating. Interesting for sure though.

I've been wracking my brain trying to come up with unique boss mechanics that don't just amount to summoning reinforcements, it's quite challenging.

Must've been something in the air last night because I woke up at 1:30 AM I think with the narrative framing I needed for the August General ST

Does the game have a Reflect spell like in Final Fantasy? Because the way to cheese that boss is to redirect its healing onto your party 😁

i have so many games downloaded on my ps5 in my “to play” pile, but i can’t bring myself to play any of them because i’m constantly thinking “this is gonna come to switch 2 so i’ll just wait”.

God damn, how i hate unrealiable people.

Our town is getting large scale fibre-lines expansion work done, and i had an appointment with some contract people from the fibre company about a to-the-home line for our house.
Told me, they only have time between 2pm and 3pm today.
So i sacrificed my lunch break, drove home (with INSANE traffic, learn to drive people ffs), and barely made it there.
No time to eat, cause in only had time for the contract stuff and then driving back to work.

Of course, the fuckheads came 30 minutes too late, and i was already back in the car. Told them from the car window that if they're not able to be in time when we went so far to make a fixed appointment, then i have to rethink about using their company for the to-the-home stuff.

And yes, driving back to work was another nightmare (again, LEARN to drive before driving!).

So, summary ... i sacrificed my lunch break, had to deal with shit traffic two times, had nothing to eat and am annoyed as fuck right now.

Since we were talking yesterday about some developers on the eShop being a bit, ahem, "cheeky", I just saw on the coming soon section of the eShop a game called Wild Legion that apparently features freaking Nappa from Dragon Ball Z as a playable character. With no mention anywhere of DBZ, Toriyama, Shueisha, etc.

22321f740560f48aa95f306a1f7cadc275b13af03bab29ce5826331799683e84

This is a C&D letter waiting to happen, right?

Since we were talking yesterday about some developers on the eShop being a bit, ahem, "cheeky", I just saw on the coming soon section of the eShop a game called Wild Legion that apparently features freaking Nappa from Dragon Ball Z as a playable character. With no mention anywhere of DBZ, Toriyama, Shueisha, etc.

Please, that's clearly Nyahahappa, Nappas older, more bald and sinister brother.

The legs are so small it's probably Ghost Nappa, someone should let TeamFourStar know about this.

Must've been something in the air last night because I woke up at 1:30 AM I think with the narrative framing I needed for the August General ST

Does the game have a Reflect spell like in Final Fantasy? Because the way to cheese that boss is to redirect its healing onto your party 😁
Never played Final Fantasy, so I don't know how it works unfortunately.

Never played Final Fantasy, so I don't know how it works unfortunately.
Reflect is a status effect where any magic cast on the target is redirected to a random target on the opposite side. Typically used to punish spellcasters or healers that just spam Magic over and over. But it’s also a good solution for some of the more gimmicky bosses in the series.

Nintendo knows better than to post a picture Mario having a summer vacation by now I guess. Don’t want to give any of us false hope.
I mean they are literarlly are saying "break" though still the comments on this tweet are full of speculation lol. Even if we would get like Wind Waker HD and Twillight Princess HD this fall, it would have to do nothing with this tweet.

I mean they are literarlly are saying "break" though still the comments on this tweet are full of speculation lol. Even if we would get like Wind Waker HD and Twillight Princess HD this fall, it would have to do nothing with this tweet.
I feel terrible for the social media managers at Nintendo who can’t so much as use a preposition without it leading to rampant speculation.

OxenFree II was a fun game, a bit longer than 1, but the Riley moving faster than Alex makes a bit of difference. Got a game crash, but there is supposed to be a patch coming out soon.

deeply unserious game

I'm convinced that the original intention was to have the actual characters run around the world with you but getting them to keep up with Link just proved too difficult so they were switched to spirits so they can teleport and stuff. Even Xenoblade has complications with party members keeping pace with the player character and they often to be instantly teleported to the player if they fall off a cliff or something.

They actually got called on steam about stollen art (that Nappa is a fan art version in a Don't Starve style) and they did the classic "it was actually an external designer that did that, we removed it!".

Yoooooo I kind of need advise from people here. Wanted to start a topic with a poll but I'm afraid it doesn't warrant its own topic so I ask it here.

I have a good collection of PS4 games. My PS4 is the original base model. I expected to upgrade to PS5 by now for two reasons:
  • I expected a slim model, or at least a new model with a more streamlined design instead of the 2003-router design of the PS5 which I can't stand plus the size of the thing is just too much. Of course, that new model never came
  • I expected a bigger library of games that interest me by now. However, it is lacking and the PS5 games I want are only a few. Really want Demon's Souls, Returnal and some PS4 upgrades like Yakuza: LaD though.
Still, I want a device to play my PS4 games since my PS4 base model is slowly dying.

Long story short: should I go for a new PS4 which is of course cheaper, or go for a PS5 anyway to be future proof if more interesting PS5 games will drop the coming years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom