• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also it is VERY funny to me that Nier: Automata and Persona 5, two amazing games that came out a few weeks apart in 2017 and fought for a lot of the same awards and conversation, are coming out on Switch five years later, again, a few weeks apart.

Also it is VERY funny to me that Nier: Automata and Persona 5, two amazing games that came out a few weeks apart in 2017 and fought for a lot of the same awards and conversation, are coming out on Switch five years later, again, a few weeks apart.

Meanwhile, Yakuza fans waiting for a port of Zero

yakuza-kiryu.gif

My take on the games of the Direct that greatly interested me:
  • Nier Automata: Been hearing things of this one for years so it'll be nice to finally try it.
  • Bomberman: I bought Bomberman R at launch and still haven't played it... but I love Bomberman so I'll likely get this one at some point.
  • Mario + Rabbids: Love the first one so I'll get this when the Gold edition is on sale lol.
  • RPG Time: I think this one grabbed the attention of almost everyone with that art style.
  • Live a Live: I need to try this one and see why it's so beloved.
  • Persona: Same as above lol.
Others have moderate interest:
  • Sunbreak: I played many hours of MHRise and loved it but I feel like I got my fill so even if this one looks cool I think I'll skip.
  • Battle Network collection: I've only played the first one and didn't like it that much but from what I hear the later entries are much better so I dunno, maybe worth a try someday.
  • Pac man: I love platformers but idgaf about Pac man so I dunno.
  • Little Noah: Looks fun but I'll wait for impressions,
Lots of interesting games honestly. Frontiers trailer also made me a little interested but I'm not really a Sonic person.

Overall thoughts on the Direct:

It was pretty good, especially for a Partner Showcase, but it definitely felt lacking in "new". Lots of great ports finally confirmed, some updated looks and release dates for things like M+R2, but in terms of like big actual new announcements, was the SE Atelier-farm-sim the only new game? Could just be that I didn't personally care for a lot of the things shown, but it left me a bit... 'eh' overall.

Overall thoughts on the Direct:

It was pretty good, especially for a Partner Showcase, but it definitely felt lacking in "new". Lots of great ports finally confirmed, some updated looks and release dates for things like M+R2, but in terms of like big actual new announcements, was the SE Atelier-farm-sim the only new game? Could just be that I didn't personally care for a lot of the things shown, but it left me a bit... 'eh' overall.
Okay thinking about it a bit more, this may be more down to my own personal interests and not being all that hyped for ports due to other systems, but it was a pretty good show overall. Mostly I just want to know what the hell is next and what is going on with Nintendo's marketing for the rest of the summer. Onward to more speculation!

I want to play Persona 4 on my Switch so bad. Guess I won’t be touching my Steam version anymore ^_^’

Hey, just a heads-up for everyone here:

Oh wow.

The universe is seriously conspiring to make me poor lately.

How is it?
Sorry, I missed you quoting me.

Pretty good from the little I played. I picked the ninja scenario and enjoyed the stealth twist it had and can see the combat system having a lot of potential with its position based gameplay. It also looks crisp as hell and obviously has a great soundtrack.

Last edited:
I want to play Persona 4 on my Switch so bad. Guess I won’t be touching my Steam version anymore ^_^’
I’ve been wanting to play it with the JP dub for a long time, but the Vita version doesn’t let me do that. I’m so glad we’re finally getting a Switch version.

What's the appeal in Smash 64? Not a dig or anything, I just don't get wanting to play it over Ultimate. Is it nostalgia, or that it's a simpler game?
I would say it’s equivalent to playing something like Mario Tennis (N64) instead of Mario Tennis Aces or Street Fighter II instead of IV (or V if you are into that kind of thing). The former games have the same basic foundation without the decades of mechanics layered on top. They are easier to immediately pick up and play, and they don’t have as many barriers separating players of different skill levels.

Smash 64 has less special moves, less characters to learn, less intrusive stage hazards, and less items in addition to being easier to read than Ultimate. Entire mechanics like ultimate smashes, air dodges, and even charged Smash attacks aren’t included.

Speaking personally, it’s my preferred Smash IF I’m playing with friends because they have an easier time getting started and the difference in our skill levels doesn’t completely ruin the experience for them. Ultimate is more fulfilling competitively, of course, but 64 isn’t without its charms.

Tl;dr pretty much yeah to both of your theories

I would say it’s equivalent to playing something like Mario Tennis (N64) instead of Mario Tennis Aces or Street Fighter II instead of IV (or V if you are into that kind of thing). The former games have the same basic foundation without the decades of mechanics layered on top. They are easier to immediately pick up and play, and they don’t have as many barriers separating players of different skill levels.

Smash 64 has less special moves, less characters to learn, less intrusive stage hazards, and less items in addition to being easier to read than Ultimate. Entire mechanics like ultimate smashes, air dodges, and even charged Smash attacks aren’t included.

Speaking personally, it’s my preferred Smash IF I’m playing with friends because they have an easier time getting started and the difference in our skill levels doesn’t completely ruin the experience for them. Ultimate is more fulfilling competitively, of course, but 64 isn’t without its charms.

Tl;dr pretty much yeah to both of your theories
Don’t forget the rad pinball-like sound effects used for hits

What's the appeal in Smash 64? Not a dig or anything, I just don't get wanting to play it over Ultimate. Is it nostalgia, or that it's a simpler game?
Like others have mentioned; there's a lower barrier to entry, a smooth hit of menthol nostalgia, and the chaos is a lot more...streamlined, I guess? Not that Ultimate isn't fun for an eight player brawl that with items on is more luck of the draw than anything else, but Smash 64 just has a certain draw whether its calling to youth or university lounges. More hardcore players are as vested in the meta as much as Melee players, but four wired controllers forcing everyone onto the couch just has a certain appeal like no other

Granted when Smash 64 hits NSO, it won't be the same unless you have four of those hard to find 64 controllers, but as long as it's local couch multiplayer, you really can't go wrong.

Don’t forget the rad pinball-like sound effects used for hits
Yes! Thus Luigi’s Up Special was dubbed “Schping” in my household, a name it has carried ever sense.

Plus it just looked wicked when those 64-era polygons got lit up by a thunderbolt.

"Mr. Furukawa, I heard that Sony shareholders get free t-shirts. Where are OUR t-shirts? I mean, sales numbers are great and all, but the T-SHIRTS!"

So are we going to jump straight back into another Direct Speculation thread, or let it simmer for a little bit?

I actually find interesing that Cygames decided to revive Little Noah as a rogue lite. This game is directed by Matsuura (the same of Dragalia Lost) and it's interesting to see the inspiration of the game came after he played Dead Cells, and even he admits that since the development time was short they recycled all the models from the mobile game, like literally just putting some of the same graphics (the monsters and Noah's dialogue graphics are the same, just HD).

Play it for a couple of hours and find it fun, similar to Lapis X labyrinth where you are always gaining something and progressing with your character. The important part is the combat where you gain spirits, which works like cards, you assign them in the order you want to have your main chain attack, and each one has also a unique skill that can be used with X. There are also other mechanics like special attacks and overall you have a lot of options once you start unlocking different spirits. The bosses can be challenging and its performs decently. Heres a quick video of the combat

I still cant get gifs to work for me xD
I actually find interesing that Cygames decided to revive Little Noah as a rogue lite. This game is directed by Matsuura (the same of Dragalia Lost) and it's interesting to see the inspiration of the game came after he played Dead Cells, and even he admits that since the development time was short they recycled all the models from the mobile game, like literally just putting some of the same graphics (the monsters and Noah's dialogue graphics are the same, just HD).

Play it for a couple of hours and find it fun, similar to Lapis X labyrinth where you are always gaining something and progressing with your character. The important part is the combat where you gain spirits, which works like cards, you assign them in the order you want to have your main chain attack, and each one has also a unique skill that can be used with X. There are also other mechanics like special attacks and overall you have a lot of options once you start unlocking different spirits. The bosses can be challenging and its performs decently. Heres a quick video of the combat

This made me think that maybe one day we will get a port of dragalia lost but thats a pipedream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom