• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Card Shark is testing my patience. It’s just incredibly difficult, with trick tutorials that aren’t in-depth enough, the fact there’s seemingly no way to replay tutorials for tricks you might have forgotten, very complex sequences of tricks as the game goes on, and tons of instant-fail QTEs. I bumped the difficulty down to easy, and I’m still having a hard time. It’s gotten to the point where I just want it to end, and that makes me so sad because I was looking forward to this game for so long. It’s like I feel guilty for not really liking something I was hyped for.

You rehearse the trick before every scenario though right?

Just read this level-headed take on the Direct over on Polygon. Mainstream games writing catching up with the idea that Switch is the console for small and middle tier games (sadly doesn't make the connection back to Nintendo's portable legacy, but still, it's a straightforward read). Maybe it comes across as a little unintentionally condescending; while Monster Hunter Rise and Sparks of Hope aren't up there with the most expensive games, they were surely far more resource consuming to make than everything else in yesterday's showcase.

That being said, do read the article. Don't read the comments, unless you want to hear the usual tropes about giving up on the Switch and the Switch just being another Wii.

If you haven't played Portal 1 and especially 2, do yourself a favor and buy them on Switch. Solid ports and the price is good for such a thing, and Portal 2 is the BEST game I've played in terms of clever level design.

And if you already played these games and liked them, you have a great taste. But also go and buy them :p
I literally had ZERO intention of picking up the portal collection for switch. That was before Jon Cartwright started posting about the games and I did a 180. It's probably been 10 years at least since I last played them so it's been pretty great picking them up again.

You rehearse the trick before every scenario though right?
Yes, but that also runs into the issue where the tutorials don't do enough to teach you how to pull the trick off correctly. The early-game tricks are simple enough, but you start getting into more and more complex scenarios that require five or six steps, and it just starts getting frustrating.

Played M+R a year ago and didn't like it. Watching yesterday's direct, I really liked how m+r2 looked, so I decided to give it a 2nd chance. And then I got why so many people actually love this game. It's fantastic, by far, best Ubisoft game ever.

Would like your all's opinion. Should I get dragon quest 11? Was always curious about it and it is finally on sale so who knows when it will be on sale again

I've been afraid of tackling longer games due to my headaches but with them not being all that frequent as they used to be, I think I may get it but I would like some thoughts on it

Yes, but that also runs into the issue where the tutorials don't do enough to teach you how to pull the trick off correctly. The early-game tricks are simple enough, but you start getting into more and more complex scenarios that require five or six steps, and it just starts getting frustrating.
I never had that problem but I played the game in the space of like 2 days so I guess I just remembered everything
The tutorials could definitely be better though, sometimes they are very vague about what you should do next

Nintendo:

no-i-dont-think-i-will.gif
Also Nintendo:

So, say I have an item with 21 different properties, ranging from display name to armor value.

I want to generate a list of hundreds of these items based on various values for those properties. Do I really need to make an array of all possible values for each possible property? This is making my head hurt.
so the following is what I’m doing with classes for Grögols. I’m sure I’ll have to tweak it quite a bit, but defining those possible values in a base class, then making an individual class, should hopefully help?

or maybe that’s already what you’re doing and you’re just dreading how long your enums are?

EDIT: aaand I just saw your post where you’re doing a whole different thing, so nevermind! code for people who are curious, though

anyhow, grög

so first I set up my base Grögol class

TRoZZW8.jpg

including some of the aforementioned enums, like GrögolType

OwJDSx5.jpg

then create a new class for defining an instance of that species

w9Ep2qx.jpg

and define the base versions per Grögol species as GameObjects

EEpF0CL.jpg

with it’s own cute menu and everything!

UxVdA4X.jpg

now I haven’t been extensively testing this yet and deviated from a handful of combined tutorials, so it may be bad advice (if it’s even relevant)

but deciding your item types, making base classes for them, and stacking your enums only where necessary seems potentially handy!

Last edited:
xdaZe4.gif

Couldn’t you make it as a class and set up an enum (or equivalent) for properties like that?

trust me, you do not want to be in a condition where you’re comparing strings by frames in a video game

and for numbers, you can declare type and range, if you need to at all

one sec, I have a picture of rough Grögol code
Gröcode

so the following is what I’m doing with classes for Grögols. I’m sure I’ll have to tweak it quite a bit, but defining those possible values in a base class, then making an individual class, should hopefully help?

or maybe that’s already what you’re doing and you’re just dreading how long your enums are?

anyhow, grög

so first I set up my base Grögol class

TRoZZW8.jpg

including some of the aforementioned enums, like GrögolType

OwJDSx5.jpg

then create a new class for defining an instance of that species

w9Ep2qx.jpg

and define the base versions per Grögol species as GameObjects

EEpF0CL.jpg

with it’s own cute menu and everything!

UxVdA4X.jpg

now I haven’t been extensively testing this yet and deviated from a handful of combined tutorials, so it may be bad advice (if it’s even relevant)

but deciding your item types, making base classes for them, and stacking your enums only where necessary seems potentially handy!
Thank you for that detailed response. I'm actually doing something very similar with enemies in my game, though with only visual scripting.

So I have a class for enemy base, which each of the enemies is a child of. I need to do individual other classes for each child since they all have their own unique animations/special effects but all of the actual data itself is here.
845B7ZS.png

That seems kinda similar to what you've done. I set these values one by one for each enemy, which isn't super tedious since there will only be like 100-150 enemies in the game, many of which will have similar values.

What I'm asking about though is kinda different. I have this structure for each inventory item:

VIG9H7y.png

Relatively simple, as you can see. The problem is that I want many, many hundreds of these items. I'll need dozens of different chest armors, each having different stats and levels so that you'll find new and better ones as you progress. And I'll need that for each type of item, of which there are 16+ IIRC.

So I have a data table set up that lists every item that I've created so far:

O5cQnar.png

What I'm trying to do is use some external program like excel/sheets to generate a CSV file having hundreds of permutations of these items.

I need light chest armor with fire resistance, light chest armor with cold resistance, light chest armor with acid resistance, light chest armor with fire resistance and additional armor, light chest armor with fire resistance and a ton of armor, light chest armor with fire resistance that gives a boost to your burglary skill, light chest armor with fire resistance that is cursed and lowers your speed, etc.

For each of those I would need to fill out another entire row in this data table. What I am trying to figure out how to do is procedurally generate all of those so I don't have to do it manually.

Played M+R a year ago and didn't like it. Watching yesterday's direct, I really liked how m+r2 looked, so I decided to give it a 2nd chance. And then I got why so many people actually love this game. It's fantastic, by far, best Ubisoft game ever.

That is a very strong statement considering Sands of Time and Beyond Good & Evil still exist.

But I'm glad you are enjoying M&R! It's a really good game, and the second seems to least try and rectify the worst part of the first (in-between battles) which is awesome. Excited to see more today.

Just found out all of the Paragon (the Epic MOBA) characters are free on the epic marketplace, complete with skins and animations.

Ohhhhhh boy another month of making fantastic monstrosities!

You know what is sad? Mario Maker 2 launched 3 years ago yesterday and no one noticed, I bought that game at launch.
I should get back into this. Making wasn’t as fun on switch, but single player campaign was good and I’m sure there are a ton of good user levels now.

Thank you for that detailed response. I'm actually doing something very similar with enemies in my game, though with only visual scripting.

So I have a class for enemy base, which each of the enemies is a child of. I need to do individual other classes for each child since they all have their own unique animations/special effects but all of the actual data itself is here.
845B7ZS.png

That seems kinda similar to what you've done. I set these values one by one for each enemy, which isn't super tedious since there will only be like 100-150 enemies in the game, many of which will have similar values.

What I'm asking about though is kinda different. I have this structure for each inventory item:

VIG9H7y.png

Relatively simple, as you can see. The problem is that I want many, many hundreds of these items. I'll need dozens of different chest armors, each having different stats and levels so that you'll find new and better ones as you progress. And I'll need that for each type of item, of which there are 16+ IIRC.

So I have a data table set up that lists every item that I've created so far:

O5cQnar.png

What I'm trying to do is use some external program like excel/sheets to generate a CSV file having hundreds of permutations of these items.

I need light chest armor with fire resistance, light chest armor with cold resistance, light chest armor with acid resistance, light chest armor with fire resistance and additional armor, light chest armor with fire resistance and a ton of armor, light chest armor with fire resistance that gives a boost to your burglary skill, light chest armor with fire resistance that is cursed and lowers your speed, etc.

For each of those I would need to fill out another entire row in this data table. What I am trying to figure out how to do is procedurally generate all of those so I don't have to do it manually.
Do you want every possible permutation? If so, I don't imagine it would be particularly difficult to write, say, a Python script to do this. Not sure how much coding experience you have, but this certainly sounds like something that would be easier to do manually than with a GUI

Do you want every possible permutation? If so, I don't imagine it would be particularly difficult to write, say, a Python script to do this. Not sure how much coding experience you have, but this certainly sounds like something that would be easier to do manually than with a GUI
Not every possible permutation, no. I don't need a sword that does 49008235-89000921 slashing damage.

I also have zero coding experience so yeah that's the type of thing I'm trying to figure out how to do and am having a ton of trouble. I can import these generated structs as CSV files, so I've been looking through guides for how to do shit like this on excel/google sheets but thus far I can't conceptually wrap my head around it.

You know what is sad? Mario Maker 2 launched 3 years ago yesterday and no one noticed, I bought that game at launch.
Mario Maker 2 was robbed of so much and killed early, a victim of the pandemic and of underperformed despite it selling millions. We may never get a Maker 3 either. It's a tragedy.

Couldn’t you make it as a class and set up an enum (or equivalent) for properties like that?

trust me, you do not want to be in a condition where you’re comparing strings by frames in a video game

and for numbers, you can declare type and range, if you need to at all

one sec, I have a picture of rough Grögol code

Yes @Skittzo please listen to suswave and make it a class and make enums for each set of property values, for your own sake

Not every possible permutation, no. I don't need a sword that does 49008235-89000921 slashing damage.

I also have zero coding experience so yeah that's the type of thing I'm trying to figure out how to do and am having a ton of trouble. I can import these generated structs as CSV files, so I've been looking through guides for how to do shit like this on excel/google sheets but thus far I can't conceptually wrap my head around it.
Excel is super useful but there are some things - loops, for example - where it's just not going to be as efficient.

Okay, what I guess you want is something like the following. For each weapon type, you'll presumably want a set number of different "levels", right? So, for instance, you might have the <level> <weapon>, where <level> can be Traveler's/Soldier's/Knight's/Royal and <weapon> can be Broadsword/Claymore. Your damage output range would be a function of <level> and <weapon>, and maybe other modifiers, e.g. maybe a Broadsword with elemental damage does less base damage. The advantage of using classes in code like what @Suswave is doing is that your constructor can take more fundamental inputs (in this case: level, weapon type, optional elemental type) and calculate the necessary attributes. Then, you could simply have one weapon type for each permutation of inputs.

I don't know whether there's a simple way to do this purely in Excel, but I do think if you can try to wrap your head around what the fundamental inputs should be, and how the attributes are calculated based on those inputs, it should not be too hard to find someone help you write a script to output the necessary CSV.

That is a very strong statement considering Sands of Time and Beyond Good & Evil still exist.

But I'm glad you are enjoying M&R! It's a really good game, and the second seems to least try and rectify the worst part of the first (in-between battles) which is awesome. Excited to see more today

But I'm glad you are enjoying M&R! It's a really good game, and the second seems to least try and rectify the worst part of the first (in-between battles) which is awesome. Excited to see more today.
Jajaajja laughs in Spanish. Yeah that's more like best game in the last 10 years or so. My bad.

Yes @Skittzo please listen to suswave and make it a class and make enums for each set of property values, for your own sake

Excel is super useful but there are some things - loops, for example - where it's just not going to be as efficient.

Okay, what I guess you want is something like the following. For each weapon type, you'll presumably want a set number of different "levels", right? So, for instance, you might have the <level> <weapon>, where <level> can be Traveler's/Soldier's/Knight's/Royal and <weapon> can be Broadsword/Claymore. Your damage output range would be a function of <level> and <weapon>, and maybe other modifiers, e.g. maybe a Broadsword with elemental damage does less base damage. The advantage of using classes in code like what @Suswave is doing is that your constructor can take more fundamental inputs (in this case: level, weapon type, optional elemental type) and calculate the necessary attributes. Then, you could simply have one weapon type for each permutation of inputs.

I don't know whether there's a simple way to do this purely in Excel, but I do think if you can try to wrap your head around what the fundamental inputs should be, and how the attributes are calculated based on those inputs, it should not be too hard to find someone help you write a script to output the necessary CSV.
I dunno if you guys saw what I posted before but I have the base weapon variable as a structure (struct), the main reason being the RPG template I started from uses a data table to call inventory items and put them in the inventory/equipment slots, and data tables are simply rows of struct variables. I'm unsure in this instance why making it a class would be all that different from a struct.

I suppose the idea would be that the class can generate some of the final stat numbers (like damage) based on the weapon modifiers (i.e. type and level), whereas now I have to manually enter the damage range. Same with stuff like buy/sell value.

Hmmmm so I'd basically need to gut the entire inventory/equipment system and start from new, which doesn't sound terribly appealing. But maybe necessary I guess.... sigh.

I dunno if you guys saw what I posted before but I have the base weapon variable as a structure (struct), the main reason being the RPG template I started from uses a data table to call inventory items and put them in the inventory/equipment slots, and data tables are simply rows of struct variables. I'm unsure in this instance why making it a class would be all that different from a struct.

I suppose the idea would be that the class can generate some of the final stat numbers (like damage) based on the weapon modifiers (i.e. type and level), whereas now I have to manually enter the damage range. Same with stuff like buy/sell value.

Hmmmm so I'd basically need to gut the entire inventory/equipment system and start from new, which doesn't sound terribly appealing. But maybe necessary I guess.... sigh.
look, if I’ve learned anything in all my years as a not very good programmer, it’s that you can absolutely keep a structure that works but isn’t ideal as long as you’re emotionally prepared to be really annoyed with it later

I think it would have been better to start with a class, but there should be a way to incorporate these ideas without totally starting over. It would just be a little ad hoc, that's all. Since you're able to import CSVs, and writing to CSV is pretty easy with Python, I would think the path of least resistance is creating (or having someone else create) a Python script that outputs all the weapons you want to CSV in the required format. You'd need to figure out what your fundamental inputs are and what values they can take, and figure out what value each of your weapon attributes will take as a function of those inputs. The rest would not be difficult for someone with Python experience.

I think it would have been better to start with a class, but there should be a way to incorporate these ideas without totally starting over. It would just be a little ad hoc, that's all. Since you're able to import CSVs, and writing to CSV is pretty easy with Python, I would think the path of least resistance is creating (or having someone else create) a Python script that outputs all the weapons you want to CSV in the required format. You'd need to figure out what your fundamental inputs are and what values they can take, and figure out what value each of your weapon attributes will take as a function of those inputs. The rest would not be difficult for someone with Python experience.
Thanks, that is reassuring. Conceptually it shouldn't really be that hard, and I can still assign those "levels" you were referring to which can feed other values like damage, value and (ironically) item level.

It's just the actual doing of this that is over my head.

I’d also say one of the biggest things to avoid no matter what with game design is comparing strings in the update loop

you do NOT want your framerate to drop because your GrögolCheck is trying to confirm whether or not the Grögol before you is indeed “Uncle Shapes” letter by letter, doing a minimum of 12 operations instead of one in that 1/60th of a second blip

this is not something I did but @chocolate_supra is onto something about the joy of decontextualized gröcode in my already incoherent babbling

Anyone got any tips for learning SQL? I took a class on it several years ago but there was very little actual class work, and I ended up in a group that ended up doing all the work, which made me pass. I’ve never actually touched any SQL related programs to my knowledge.

at the risk of outing myself as a complete hack, I’ll sometimes run PHP scripts as utilities for things like this

chaos is the remainder, satan is the whistler, etc

I’m moderately handy with hacky shit though so if you need me to script something that coughs out a csv for you to adjust, lemme know

Anyone got any tips for learning SQL? I took a class on it several years ago but there was very little actual class work, and I ended up in a group that ended up doing all the work, which made me pass. I’ve never actually touched any SQL related programs to my knowledge.
step one: cry
step two: get really annoyed at the language conventions
step three: look slightly to the right or left of all SQL code, willing it to stop being the way it is by relegating it to your literal periphery

nah but seriously SQL is the kind of thing that makes more sense if you know other code / conventions first. In a vacuum it’s kind of lunacy, and more often than not you’ll want to access SQL with another language to do anything meaningful

SELECT * FROM sql_nonsense WHERE sql_vibe LIKE "annoying"

edit: aw man the forum turns the annoying quotes I love to hate into a shortcode for “display as code”

Just read this level-headed take on the Direct over on Polygon. Mainstream games writing catching up with the idea that Switch is the console for small and middle tier games (sadly doesn't make the connection back to Nintendo's portable legacy, but still, it's a straightforward read). Maybe it comes across as a little unintentionally condescending; while Monster Hunter Rise and Sparks of Hope aren't up there with the most expensive games, they were surely far more resource consuming to make than everything else in yesterday's showcase.

That being said, do read the article. Don't read the comments, unless you want to hear the usual tropes about giving up on the Switch and the Switch just being another Wii.
Come now! The comments are delicious! They are comprised almost entirely of my favorite "hardcore" talking points, with hits such as:
  • Everybody I know bought a Switch and doesn't ever play it
  • It's a secondary or tertiary gaming device for most people
  • The Steam Deck can emulate Switch games; why would anyone buy a Switch?
  • All it plays is weeb shit
I wish I could bottle this stuff up and drink it instead of the other stuff I usually bottle up and drink.

so far my funniest Unity crash was when I accidentally made it create and start a new instance of a particle system every single frame, instead of say starting the single instance of the particle system one time

at the risk of outing myself as a complete hack, I’ll sometimes run PHP scripts as utilities for things like this

chaos is the remainder, satan is the whistler, etc

I’m moderately handy with hacky shit though so if you need me to script something that coughs out a csv for you to adjust, lemme know
Who among us is not a complete hack

I’d also say one of the biggest things to avoid no matter what with game design is comparing strings in the update loop

you do NOT want your framerate to drop because your GrögolCheck is trying to confirm whether or not the Grögol before you is indeed “Uncle Shapes” letter by letter, doing a minimum of 12 operations instead of one in that 1/60th of a second blip

this is not something I did but @chocolate_supra is onto something about the joy of decontextualized gröcode in my already incoherent babbling
Oh yeah I am not using strings for any logic of course. I'm well versed in enums.

Oh yeah I am not using strings for any logic of course. I'm well versed in enums.
hell yeah

I come from the dread hell of learning to code websites as my first major foray into coding, so… I was not as lucky

literally running regex for conditionals like some kind of animal

like alvin and the chipmunks in a vitamix or some shit

I can't believe someone made a game that made me care about the Rabbids

(I never hated them [nor minions] but I also never bought a game featuring them before M+R)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom