• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST9 June 2022| This is Miyamoto. Have a fun summer!

What's hype in June?

• A potential Direct

Votes: 201 59.1%
  • Summer events in general

Votes: 14 4.1%
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Votes: 27 7.9%
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Cold drinks

Votes: 32 9.4%
  • Warm smiles

Votes: 14 4.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There'll for sure be better people to explain than me, but Game Pass basically allows you to play every Microsoft first party game (including Bethesda and other subsidiaries), plus a bunch more, for a relatively affordable subscription price. It's by all accounts an incredible deal.

Those games you mention are Sony first-party games, yeah. Increasingly they're receiving late PC ports, but that's traditionally the primary appeal in a Sony console over a Microsoft one. There are other reasons - the DualSense is pretty neat, for example - but they're unlikely to be the primary deciding factor.

Of course, a lot of people who play online games will tend to just buy whatever their friends buy, which is as valid a reason as any. I would recommend thinking about what games you mostly play or would like to play, discussing with people here or other friends, and making your decision that way.

Good luck! 😊
Considering that Ghost of Tsushima (which was originally a PlayStation 4 exclusive, correct me if I'm wrong) is also for PC, and considering that many of the PlayStation exclusives are for PC or coming to PC, I think there's no real reason for me to play on a PlayStation 5.

Coupled with the fact that an Xbox Series X/S is easier to find and the fact that it's more affordable, I'm honestly leaning toward getting myself an Xbox Series X or S sometime in the near future.

Any second thoughts from anyone or would you more-or-less say that I'm making a sound decision here?

They left the NSO schedules high and dry 2 times now. They’ve actually been consistent now so I’ll be shocked if they decide to go continue to wait until September by adding another console.

But we’ll see. I was hoping for a general to see what will happen now with N64. They actually added all the games they’ve said for NA
I mean I expect more, the original announcement had a more to come and we haven’t even exhausted first party and rare stuff

Considering that Ghost of Tsushima (which was originally a PlayStation 4 exclusive, correct me if I'm wrong) is also for PC, and considering that many of the PlayStation exclusives are for PC or coming to PC, I think there's no real reason for me to play on a PlayStation 5.

Coupled with the fact that an Xbox Series X/S is easier to find and the fact that it's more affordable, I'm honestly leaning toward getting myself an Xbox Series X or S sometime in the near future.

Any second thoughts from anyone or would you more-or-less say that I'm making a sound decision here?
That seems like a solid choice to me!

Pikmin people, am I the only one who got a whiff of Pikmin 2 from DQ Treasures?

Am I so desperate for #Content that my mind is transforming even the most tangentially related games into Pikmin 2?

Help.

Sadly, @Oregano has mostly abandoned us. I don't like to talk behind people's backs but I think he actually... plays games.
the-lion-king-simba.gif

And I thought Oregano was one of the greats
fuck

Does this remind anyone of the Wario World (or Land?) game for the GameCube? I used to love that game. I might not mind playing this game either for the Switch.

Looked more like Klonoa to me

The visual style and aesthetic of Harvestella but with a bigger budget for a new Final Fantasy on Switch let's goooo
Calling it now: if Switch doesn't get a XVI cloud version or a down-res port it's certainly going to get spinoff/sequels like the DS did.

Playing the Live A Live demo feels borderline surreal.
I'veWaited84Years.gif

Seriously, I want to see Tomato and Gideon Zhi do a collaborative Tomato CX stream where they compare the new release against the 2.0 and 1.0 fan translations and the OG SNES text.

Erm holy moly? Live A Live seems to be native resolution in handheld mode! This game looks amazing damn!!
So it's running at 512x448 like the original?

Now we wait for the next Direct which will be in July or August and will be Splatoon focused.

Calling it now: if Switch doesn't get a XVI cloud version or a down-res port it's certainly going to get spinoff/sequels like the DS did.
Seems likely, especially with the Crisis Core remake being multi-format... but I want to see Final Fantasy made for the Switch; like Monster Hunter Rise.

Sadly, won't happen with Sony paying for the major new and remade FFs.

I'll happily keep accepting Square Enix using Switch to explore various sub-genres of JRPG, though. Dungeon Encounters and Triangle Strategy were radically different but I loved them both, and Harvestella looks promising. At least we get Crisis Core and hopefully the Pixel Remasters...

Yeah, I've played the whole series, and it's not up there with classic Final Fantasy; as much as I've enjoyed the particular brand of zany humour and adore the job and combat system, I'd really prefer better level design by now, too.

Hardly on the level of Monster Hunter Rise, either, in terms of budget and production values. But then I know I'm not getting a Final Fantasy like that on a Nintendo system.

Alright so in Portal 1 initial loading took me 7.5 seconds and in-between levels the "loading" sign showed up for 5 seconds. Let me know if you want me to check P2 as well, got time.
I think what I had read was false, so don't bother. I think I'm sold, thank you!

I had read horror stories of two minute bootups and one minute level loads

Yeah, I've played the whole series, and it's not up there with classic Final Fantasy; as much as I've enjoyed the particular brand of zany humour and adore the job and combat system, I'd really prefer better level design by now, too.

Hardly on the level of Monster Hunter Rise, either, in terms of budget and production values. But then I know I'm not getting a Final Fantasy like that on a Nintendo system.
If Nintendo gets an AAA effort from SE it will be a mainline DQ or a game like DQ3R that is what makes the most sense in a Nintendo platform by Square Enix, wanting a FF AAA Switch game is like wanting a RE AAA Switch game if we do get a RE/FF game it will be more a AA/budget game (which is fine by me btw I love Bravely)

If Nintendo gets an AAA effort from SE it will be a mainline DQ or a game like DQ3R that is what makes the most sense in a Nintendo platform by Square Enix, wanting a FF AAA Switch game is like wanting a RE AAA Switch game if we do get a RE/FF game it will be more a AA/budget game (which is fine by me btw I love Bravely)
Yeah, I know all that. That's why I said (in both my posts) that I'm not going to get that hypothetical game. I'd take Dragon Quest XII with Switch as the lead platform quite happily.

Regardless of what people think of the Partner Showcase, there is one thing certain, the marketing and branding of Nintendo is insanely powerful and effective, despite being a Mini Partner Showcase, it has already reached 1.3 million views on NoA YouTube already, that's a lot of views and exposure.

Regardless of what people think of the Partner Showcase, there is one thing certain, the marketing and branding of Nintendo is insanely powerful and effective, despite being a Mini Partner Showcase, it has already reached 1.3 million views on NoA YouTube already, that's a lot of views and exposure.
Not to mention the weeks of frenzy on forums and twitter about even the slightest rumor of a direct.

They've got a gold mine in directs, I think many companies would literally kill for this type of marketing tool.

I should probably get to actually playing SMTV before P5R drops lol. Gonna do P5R and P5S back to back on my Switch.

Not to mention the weeks of frenzy on forums and twitter about even the slightest rumor of a direct.

They've got a gold mine in directs, I think many companies would literally kill for this type of marketing tool.
And to top it off, it is currently trending #1 on YouTube.

Yeah, I love the Bravely games, especially as a big fan of FFV. But they're rather limited in scope and budget and don't quite hit the same notes of what I'd want from a "proper" Final Fantasy on Nintendo hardware (which I'd want to follow more closely FFVI).

Why get an Xbox if you have a capable PC? I bought a Series S, but it sees relatively little use — everything’s on PC day one (with a few minor exceptions).

Switch + PC only makes sense. Add a PS5 if you don’t want to wait years for exclusives to be ported.

Why get an Xbox if you have a capable PC? I bought a Series S, but it sees relatively little use — everything’s on PC day one (with a few minor exceptions).

Switch + PC makes sense. Add a PS5 if you don’t want to wait years for exclusives to be ported.
There are people who prefer to not play in PC and prefer playing on consoles if possible, still if you have a capable PC you probaby are already fine with it. I think Xbox also is a system that just 'works' easily and with Gamepass is easy to justify buying at least one Series S to play the GP games instead of bothering with PC stuff

Switch + PC only makes sense. Add a PS5 if you don’t want to wait years for exclusives to be ported.
I'll consider that. This is just so I can play PS5-level games (that, and play on my TV with less loading time). Do you think I should get a Steam Deck instead?

Quoted by: em
Man I thought I had a ton of games to play but this direct made a hole in my wallet. Outside of August/Sep, there is a game I am interested every month.

Nier and Persona 5 on the same month..... really? At least Nier is 40$ not sure about P5

Harvestella looks very interesting.

I got so excited about Persona that I missed a bunch of stuff im excited about.

Pac-Man World remake. Thats something I have been wanting for a long time.
Portal collection shadowdropped. Seems it has the bonus levels and motion control aiming. Definitely getting it.
Megaman Battle Network Collection. I am loving the GBA revival.
Shin-Chan coming to the west. Finally, that game looks like the perfect summer vibe.
Harvestella. This I heard seems to be what Rune Factory was supposed to be.

Also on a smaller note, I am wondering what that Disney Animal Crossing is about.

Overal, very good year now for the Switch.

P3, P4, P5, Xeno 3, FE Three Hopes alone will probably last me, what, like more than a year on their own? Haha
Insane to think about. Add Splatoon 3, Bayo 3, Nier, still need to get Triangle Strategy and start Bravely Default II as well ... phew.

Oregano
Don't know, felt like tagging you, mate

Same here though. Crazy length games coming out. Still have Rune Factory 5 to go back to and now Square Enix is putting out a big budget alternative!

Yeah my feelings exactly. They made to feel like Final Fantasy but lack of moogles and chococbos alone keep that feel away.

Still my biggest wish from them, make the next Bravely game a proper FF game. A retro sequel. FF4 and FF6 like premade jobs included.

I do have to wonder whether we see the next N64 game just get announced in the next week or two or if they’ll give us a new roadmap before then. (They said and more to come and they tend to stick to a routine for the first year at least)

I do have to wonder whether we see the next N64 game just get announced in the next week or two or if they’ll give us a new roadmap before then. (They said and more to come and they tend to stick to a routine for the first year at least)
I wonder the same. Been some time. Why can't Smash 64 be on there. With online MP.

I wonder the same. Been some time. Why can't Smash 64 be on there. With online MP.
Smash is definitely part of the and more. As is all first party that made VC(MP2, Excitebike, wave race, 1080, Pokémon puzzle league, CRUIS’N USA), and DK64/DKR are shoe ins too. Third party gets more nebulous tho

If Square Enix won't make a classic Final Fantasy for Switch, Nintendo and Intelligent Systems should simply make Final Emblem.

Square Enix are getting enough money out of me this year, anyway (Triangle Strategy, Live Alive, probably Crisis Core, Harvestella, maybe Nier Automata and Dragon Quest Treasures).

What's the appeal in Smash 64? Not a dig or anything, I just don't get wanting to play it over Ultimate. Is it nostalgia, or that it's a simpler game?
Particularly, it's actually the only older Smash that I have any fun to revisit;

presentation is charming as hell; I love the lowpoly models, the crunch sound-effects not matched by any old or modern fighting game, and the single player mode is short and sweet (with fun mini-games as bonus levels);

Ultimate can feel a bit bloated as well;

This is a safe space so I’m gonna say it

Persona 5 kinda stinks, fam. Absolutely enormous letdown when I played it 5 years ago. Look, Persona 3 is great and Persona 4 is a genuine masterpiece. Persona 5 is a game where you can see the script rewrites in the text, a symptom of long, troubled development and lack of directed creative vision. Maybe Royal fixed this but P5 proper was a bit of a narrative mess when I played it at launch. A game with delicious style, muddled substance, stilted writing, and worst of all, inconsistent characters/morality.

Good soundtrack tho
I feel like you and I are locked in an eternal battle where we have to constantly butt heads on this, lol. But I definitely respect your opinion, don't get me wrong, I just mostly disagree. There are some moral issues with P5 though, no doubt, especially with a few things (mostly the dating adults and the teacher) that there's really no getting around other than that you just have to ignore it or kind of shrug and move on, and I definitely wish they had just not included them; but at least most of that is either very brief or optional. But I can absolutely see where people are coming from, and everyone's tolerance for that kind of thing is different.

My two cents on the game overall:

Persona 5 Royal is one of my favorite games of all time, and it does improve on vanilla P5 in almost every way (other than making it even longer, which may be a downside depending on who you ask). I never really got the complaints about inconsistent characters or or script issues, though; sure maybe there's a little bit of 'episodic TV syndrome' where not everything is completely consistent between every 'chapter' of the game, but I don't know, that never bothered me at all. I still feel like the original climax and ending of Persona 5 is quite possibly my favorite ending in a game ever; it all comes together beautifully and the way they slowly piece it all together throughout the game and build the games' themes and overall message is masterful. The Royal version also really expands and improves several of the characters from the base game that needed it, one in particular who I did almost a complete 180 on after playing it. If you love JRPGs with interlocking systems and varying forms of gameplay that all link together to form an addictive feedback loop, fun characters, a really enjoyable heist/justice-against-abuse-of-power narrative filled with tons of twists and turns, and some killer style and music, then you will probably love this game.

Anyway, I'm just happy that all three games will be on Switch now, and we can finally stop the endless debate of if they ever will be. And I'm looking forward to playing P3P at last whenever that arrives!

Hey, just a heads-up for everyone here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom