• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
4M should be the floor of Strikers, before Aces released Strikers Charged was the best selling entry of the Mario Sports series and it's easy to think Strikers should outsell Aces (3.66M) due to how popular is football worldwide and releasing close to World Cup. Also it seems at least to me it has much higher budget than the Camelot sports games but that could just be NLG being a bigger studio more cappeable. (not trying to discredit Camelot job at all btw it's impressive how their games look especially when you consider Camelot size)

World Cup begins in November this year so it won't be as close as usual, but this has the potential to become the best-selling Mario sports game ever nonetheless

World Cup begins in November this year so it won't be as close as usual, but this has the potential to become the best-selling Mario sports game ever nonetheless
I know it but that actually will help the game more than if it WC started June/July because it will get Christmas+WC boost at the same time. Holiday season will be really big for the game especially if NLG puts out some DLC around that time.

6fet38.jpg

I was watching some Youtuber video last year and the guy, maybe in his 20s, was talking about how Twilight Princess was one of his favorite games and was recalling getting a Wii on Christmas and playing TP for the first time. As someone who grew up with Ocarina of Time, it was interesting to hear about how Twilight Princess was his generations version of OoT.

The older I get the less I care about precise series ranking, Zelda or otherwise, but I know that I roughly rank OoT, MM and BotW in the higher tier and WW, TP and SS in the lower tier.

TP is definitely not a bad game, it accomplishes its goals with a lot of merit. The problem imo is that the game is too formulaic, and there are other Zelda games that risk more and are bolder in their goals. I tend to admire them more for that reason, even if they not always hit their respective targets.

Twilight Princess is a wonderful game in my book.

It feels like the natural successor to Ocarina of Time I'd waited for for 8 years, it captures the same Lords-of-the-Rings-esque feeling of epic adventure, has a great mix of darkness with quirky optimism, has some really outstanding dungeons, and Midna is the best companion in series history.

It will always have a special place in my heart.

Reggie taking nothing but L’s with these takes lately
I mean...let's not forget that a lot of people were excited for Other M. Sure, the game is now a punchline for how not to make a Metroid game, but at the time people were psyched. The game visuals looked top notch, the gameplay looked interesting and people were excited to see backstory for Adam before Fusion. From an outsiders perspective it looked like a hit, especially one towards a hardcore audience, something Wii players in 2010 didn't exactly have a lot of. Reggie and NOA, reasonably, thought they had a winner. Of course, we all know now what an absolute turd the game was, but it wasn't so simple at the time.

Twilight Princess Is a game I’ve played 3 play throughs but never finished each time lol.

Always got to the Zant Battle near the end and stopped due to life reasons, not because I disliked it or anything. But all 3 runs were done years apart which is why I would always restart, To see how I got here lol

I honestly don’t know what the final boss is like in TP and only saw Midna’s form in Hyrule Warriors for the first time.

Uhhhhh. Music is great tho

You know what would be rad? A 2D Mario...

Metroidvania (GASP)

Like, keep it mostly focused on platforming, but eliminate individual stages and have it take place in one large world. You can still unlock new abilities and things to advance further into the world, and find secrets, etc. that unlock even cooler things.

Actually, what if characters were the unlockables? You start as Mario, and you either rescue/recruit new characters as the 'unlocks' throughout the game, until you have Luigi, Peach, Toad, maybe even Bowser, etc. that you can swap to on the fly ala Castlevania 3. They all have different platformer abilities and can do different levels better, or worse, or not at all than others.

Combine all this with a rad new artstyle and it'd really shake up the 2D Mario formula while also keeping it mostly focused on platforming in the same way that a lot of metroidvanias are all about that rather than combat.

(this started off as a half-joke post, but I honestly think this would be really fun)

With as much as Paper Mario likes to experiment these days, I could see something akin to a metroidvania, wherein you get partner characters which also function as different abilities.

Sort of like if Origami King were given that typical structure and Olivia's new fold techniques manifested as traversal-combat abilities usable at any given time.

I was watching some Youtuber video last year and the guy, maybe in his 20s, was talking about how Twilight Princess was one of his favorite games and was recalling getting a Wii on Christmas and playing TP for the first time. As someone who grew up with Ocarina of Time, it was interesting to hear about how Twilight Princess was his generations version of OoT.
I got Twilight Princess with my Wii when I was 13 and it was my first Zelda game.

I then went on to play the others and TP is the worst 3D Zelda.

My only issue with the 3D Zelda games is that the remastered versions aren't all available on Switch right this minute**

**I have other issues but have an abiding love for the whole series

Imo Skyward is the best “traditional” Zelda and BotW is the best one overall. Been playing these games all my life and I love every single one of them but the last two 3D games were the best ones in my opinion.

I’m glad it’s a series where every entry is different enough that everyone can get something different out of each one.

I miss when we got a new 2D Zelda around every two years during the 00s, I guess that's not possible nowadays :(

I got Twilight Princess with my Wii when I was 13 and it was my first Zelda game.

I then went on to play the others and TP is the worst 3D Zelda.

By the time I was 13, I was playing Wind Waker after having already played OoT and MM. At 13, isn't your childhood game. That's the start of your horny, angsty teenager years.

Positive hot take: Twilight Princess actually has a gorgeous aesthetic that becomes lost in the discussion between BotW and Wind Waker. I just love the rustic authenticity of it. Seeing it in HD, whether on Dolphin or TPHD, really elevates it. I adore the hazy bloom that plays in when there's beige colors, which gives me SotC vibes.
It's very quirky and unique, maybe a bit too much for a game that's supposed to be mass appealing, but it's really good. It's kind of OoT/MM's artstyle but fully realized. A lot of models from those games were already super weird, and would be even weirder if they had more polygons and had more details. TP is just that natural progression.

The overall aesthetic and artstyle actually is rather neat. It didn't always work quite as well as it could have, but it had its own sense about it and really fit. The world was both lived-in and strange with an air of unreal mystery.

I don't expect we'll see it again -- save, perhaps, for a new Twilight Princess release -- and that's okay, especially given the varying art direction of the series has been a nice element; I could see, though, the possibility of viewing it as a starting point to see what other direction the art might go.

TP has a lot of dungeons, I really like that about it
And some of those had neat concepts and designs regarding how they fit into the world.

OoT > BotW >>>>> TP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WW

Objective 3D Zelda ranking ☝️

OoT > BotW >>>>> TP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WW

Objective 3D Zelda ranking ☝️

WRONG, MM > every other zelda

I just want to be having fun when I play a game so far, All the 3D Zelda games I’ve played have been fun.

Rankings are whatever to me nowadays. I’ll layout my opinions for discussion, but I’m happy as long as I’m enjoying playing the game. Worst thing a game can be is dull after paying for it.

You rarely see people consider Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 to be a Mario game (because it’s clearly a Wario game), so it’s weird to me that so many people insist that Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island is a Mario game rather than a Yoshi game. The Japanese Super Mario website agrees that it is indeed a Yoshi game rather than a Super Mario game.

I definitely wasn't asserting it was a "Mario" game, just pointing out that its full title implied it was a sequel to one.

Quoted by: Tye
I definitely wasn't asserting it was a "Mario" game, just pointing out that its full title implied it was a sequel to one.
I wasn’t saying you were, your post just brought the thought to my mind ‘cause it’s something I’ve seen a lot of over the years. =p

I'm still working through Skyward Sword HD and while I'm enjoying it it's definitely my least favorite 3D game so far and I don't really think it'll change much unless the ending is really good. It's hard for me to say because I never played it when it originally came out but I always thought the thing people had issues with were it's controls but what's actually getting to me is the sheer amount of padding in a game as linear as this.

I'm a weirdo who thinks TP is the third best 3D Zelda though, and a bad 3D Zelda doesn't really exist.

It’s been like 30 minutes into VC4 and there’s certainly a Male gaze going on.

Below is how a Character was introduced on their first onscreen appearance. And she’s a leader of the bunch.

Not as bad as Monolith Soft so far. But I’m getting the feeling things will get worst

EF599452-EE4-B-42-A8-94-F0-BD196-BF00426.jpg

My personal Zelda ranking is BotW > 2D/top-down Zeldas > 3D Zeldas.

Come to think of it I really am not a fan of the N64/GC games in general. But then I’ve always skewed portable.

I love that Mario Golf 64 has alternate colours for characters. I didn't realise some of the older spinoffs had that before MK8 added some with the DLC.

All 3D Zelda are great! The weaker one, for me, is SS. Although some of it was fixed in the remaster, it still has a lot of unneccesary parts. A remake with those parts changed or cut can easily take it to the top 3 3D Zelda games.

I just got off the phone to my oncologist; my cancer scans all came back clear, which means I am now officially two years cancer free!

A huge shoutout to the amazing healthcare workers who've worked with me on this difficult journey.

This kind of cancer, if it does recur, tends to do so in the first two years, so now that I've reached this point, the odds are good that I have beaten it once and for all.

It’s been like 30 minutes into VC4 and there’s certainly a Male gaze going on.

Below is how a Character was introduced on their first onscreen appearance. And she’s a leader of the bunch.

Not as bad as Monolith Soft so far. But I’m getting the feeling things will get worst

EF599452-EE4-B-42-A8-94-F0-BD196-BF00426.jpg
There's definitely a fair bit of that in the game, mostly on 2-3 characters. And several of the usual overdone cliche bits, like "oops oblivious accidental skirt looking/misunderstanding", some of the outfits, etc. And of course one of the DLCs is specifically to acquire swimsuits and do a beach episode, but that's optional DLC and ignorable.

Overall I didn't find it to be too overboard, just eye-roll-y here and there. YMMV of course, but I loved the game and it's my favorite one. Some really enjoyable combat and tactics.

I just got off the phone to my oncologist; my cancer scans all came back clear, which means I am now officially two years cancer free!

A huge shoutout to the amazing healthcare workers who've worked with me on this difficult journey.

This kind of cancer, if it does recur, tends to do so in the first two years, so now that I've reached this point, the odds are good that I have beaten it once and for all.
That's awesome, congratulations! I can only imagine how incredibly nerve-wracking it must be to wait that long on results like that.

Brilliant news. Congratulations and good health to you, compadre.

* deep breath *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom