• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the mood to stir up trouble. Which is the better game, Metroid Dread or Metroid Prime?
Personally? Prime, but it's more my style and is one of my favorite games of all time. I rank it as the best metroid game period.

But Dread is still very very good, probably second to Super in the 2D games. Although Dread, Super, Fusion, and Zero Mission are all somehow amazing so it's a tough call.

I would like to take this opportunity to say rip in piece to this whole damn half of my Nintendo collection:
8J8hbH6_d.webp

Plus I dunno how many downloaded games including DuckTales Remastered, Virtual Console games (byebye Mario RPG), etc etc etc

Damn, I didn't even know this could happen. And there's no fix for it? :(
People on the google are saying fixing it is a send-to-Nintendo situation, but that it's so long out of warranty that it could cost quite a bit. But they don't say how much "quite a bit is." So I'm just kinda like 🤷‍♂️ atm

Why are you zoomers even using your Switch for YouTube? I can’t imagine it’s a better experience than on a laptop or whatever other 100 devices you have?

Ngl I didn’t even realise the Switch had a YouTube app.
The Switch is at a pretty good sweet spot for watching YouTube away from a TV. Only problem is having to use the TV UI when the desktop one would really be more appropriate for handheld mode (used to do that a ton with the Wii U Internet browser, was much better than actually using the dedicated YouTube app).

People on the google are saying fixing it is a send-to-Nintendo situation, but that it's so long out of warranty that it could cost quite a bit. But they don't say how much "quite a bit is." So I'm just kinda like 🤷‍♂️ atm

That sucks, might honestly make more sense to see if you can find a cheap replacement device and see if you can use a workaround to perform a system transfer.

I would like to take this opportunity to say rip in piece to this whole damn half of my Nintendo collection:
8J8hbH6_d.webp

Plus I dunno how many downloaded games including DuckTales Remastered, Virtual Console games (byebye Mario RPG), etc etc etc
That error code kills downloaded games too? That’s brutal :(

That sucks, might honestly make more sense to see if you can find a cheap replacement device and see if you can use a workaround to perform a system transfer.
ooooh not a bad idea

That error code kills downloaded games too? That’s brutal :(
The error code makes it to where the system won't even boot to the menu. So no downloaded games, and no way to back up or do a system transfer. Otherwise I'd seriously just get a secondhand unit on eBay real quick and migrate everything.

ooooh not a bad idea

The error code makes it to where the system won't even boot to the menu. So no downloaded games, and no way to back up or do a system transfer. Otherwise I'd seriously just get a secondhand unit on eBay and migrate everything.
That sucks! If you get a second one, I really hope you can get one of the workarounds in Darden’s post to work long enough for a transfer to work.

I still have 21 Virtual Console games I still want to play on mine. Don’t remember what I started at, but I’ve been tearing through them these last few months. Just feels like I have a ticking time bomb hearing more stories like yours lately.

That sucks! If you get a second one, I really hope you can get one of the workarounds in Darden’s post to work long enough for a transfer to work.

I still have 21 Virtual Console games I still want to play on mine. Don’t remember what I started at, but I’ve been tearing through them these last few months. Just feels like I have a ticking time bomb hearing more stories like yours lately.
Thanks! When my situation gets a little more stable I might try it.

In all honesty I'm being a little dramatic just to get it out of my system. A lot of my downloaded games are indies which are now available on Switch and have good sales from time to time. And the physical games, obviously all I'd be losing is my saves if I were to just get another system, and in all honesty I'm not the type to go back to a completed save and muck around, I like to start over from scratch if I do a second or third playthrough so I wouldn't really be missing much aside from the novelty of having my old completed files still accessible and not lost (like my BotW file that has all the damn shrines).

But that novelty is irrationally important to me. 😅

Thanks! When my situation gets a little more stable I might try it.

In all honesty I'm being a little dramatic just to get it out of my system. A lot of my downloaded games are indies which are now available on Switch and have good sales from time to time. And the physical games, obviously all I'd be losing is my saves if I were to just get another system, and in all honesty I'm not the type to go back to a completed save and muck around, I like to start over from scratch if I do a second or third playthrough so I wouldn't really be missing much aside from the novelty of having my old completed files still accessible and not lost (like my BotW file that has all the damn shrines).

But that novelty is irrationally important to me. 😅
I totally feel you on save files. Yeah I’ll also always do the fresh playthrough, but the original playthrough of course means a ton as your initial journey where you made all your memories. It’s fun to check in on sometimes too depending on what kind of game it is.

Just last month I got a Series X and wanted to transfer my Xbox 360 and Xbox One saves over. The 360 booted up fine and I realized I could fully retire it thanks to Backwards Compatibility (which was good since the disc drive was long broken and even the paper clip trick was now a serious struggle to get it to open). I didn’t know Xbox One cloud saves were always free and automatic and so I was devastated at first when a system update bricked my Xbox One (black screen of death). Tried everything to restore it including offline system updates and even considered sending it in (which I learned you aren’t even allowed to do anymore for the older models, like seriously the website just refuses to act on an Xbox One serial number). I ultimately did a factory reset as the last resort since I thought it would erase all of my saves, but thankfully they were all there ready to go. Would have been crushed to lose my Rock Band 4 high scores in particular.

I totally feel you on save files. Yeah I’ll also always do the fresh playthrough, but the original playthrough of course means a ton as your initial journey where you made all your memories. It’s fun to check in on sometimes too depending on what kind of game it is.

Just last month I got a Series X and wanted to transfer my Xbox 360 and Xbox One saves over. The 360 booted up fine and I realized I could fully retire it thanks to Backwards Compatibility (which was good since the disc drive was long broken and even the paper clip trick was now a serious struggle to get it to open). I didn’t know Xbox One saves were always free and automatic and so I was devastated at first when a system update bricked my Xbox One (black screen of death). Tried everything to restore it including offline system updates and even considered sending it in (which I learned you aren’t even allowed to do anymore for the older models, like seriously the website just refuses to act on an Xbox One serial number). I ultimately did a factory reset as the last resort since I thought it would erase all of my saves, but thankfully they were all there ready to go. Would have been crushed to lose my Rock Band 4 high scores in particular.
Oh dang, when I got my Xbone I did the same thing. I hadn't touched my 360 since probably 2012-2013, and it was a trip to log back into that thing to transfer everything over. Tickled parts of my brain I had long since forgotten about.

Amazing to hear your factory reset didn't.. like.. reset everything? That rocks, actually, glad it worked out!

Welp

Guess I can't play the part of "smug Wii U apologist" anymore, as I finally got disc drive error 160-1400.

Goodbye Xenoblade X. 😅
Ouch dude, that sucks!

I’m really starting to feel like if I want to actually play the Wii U and 3DS games in my backlog, I better get started because who knows when they’re gonna break!

Counterpoint: It doesn’t have Wave Race, 1080° or Excite!! _____.

With these games, Switch sales would exceed the population of the US and Canada combined.
You forgot Nintendogs. Other than that true.

I sometimes lament the fact that I have 3 working gamepads and no Wii U.

"What am I to do with all the gamepads?"
If you have working charger for any of those and are willing to sell pad and charger or just the charger I am interested.

Ouch dude, that sucks!

I’m really starting to feel like if I want to actually play the Wii U and 3DS games in my backlog, I better get started because who knows when they’re gonna break!
Yep, this is why backwards compatibility is so important. Hardware just dies.

Mario Tennis Aces single player was better than I expected.

But… that’s all the content their is I guess?

There’s character skins to earn online but the online is completely dead lol. At least for the Oceania servers.

So dumb that you get Yoshi colours and stuff from the ring shot game, but only the online co-op version, the single player one is for fun only!

And it’s like yeah, emulation exists. But the Wii U and 3DS had such unique hardware that playing emulated versions of those games would lose out on a ton of unique elements.

As hardware keeps failing and the shops are shutting I down, I’m more strongly hoping we get the last handful of big missing Wii U games for Switch not heavily tied to the Gamepad: Xenoblade X, Paper Mario Color Splash, Yoshi’s Wooly World, Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD. The Zeldas seem like safe bets and I think Xenoblade X has a good shot eventually, but I’m worried about Paper Mario and Yoshi as Nintendo might see them as redundant with Origami King and Crafted World on Switch.

As hardware keeps failing and the shops are shutting I down, I’m more strongly hoping we get the last handful of big missing Wii U games for Switch not heavily tied to the Gamepad: Xenoblade X, Paper Mario Color Splash, Yoshi’s Wooly World, Wind Waker HD, and Twilight Princess HD. The Zeldas seem like safe bets and I think Xenoblade X has a good shot eventually, but I’m worried about Paper Mario and Yoshi as Nintendo might see them as redundant with Origami King and Crafted World on Switch.

Depending on what Good-Feel is working on, I could see a quick port of Yoshi. But if they're working on a third one, it's probably not happening any time soon.

If they’re working on a third one I hope to Arceus it’s more like Woolly World than Crafted World.

Or better yet, give Yoshi his Forgotten Land moment. Yoshi and the Felted Land?

Sorry @chocolate_supra . This is a bummer. I think I’m going to need to transition to WiiU/3DS games for the foreseeable future just in case. I have played most of the WiiU games that I have, but do have quite a few Wii game downloads I should finish. And 3DS backlog is nuts, but have a little more confidence in that device lasting a while.

Hey all - was wondering what might be a better tennis experience for solo, offline play, Mario Tennis or Switch Sports? Thanks!

Hey all - was wondering what might be a better tennis experience for solo, offline play, Mario Tennis or Switch Sports? Thanks!
Mario Tennis, easily. It has a pretty decent single-player campaign, while Switch Sports doesn't even have training modes

Seaman is coming back! In ASMR form!

What's a man gotta do to get a new The Tower entry Mr. Saito?

Welp

Guess I can't play the part of "smug Wii U apologist" anymore, as I finally got disc drive error 160-1400.

Goodbye Xenoblade X. 😅
Sympathy "ooof" here. Optical drives are a necessary evil. Hope you're able to figure out a replacement/repair option.

Good morning all. Going to attempt to be out and about for a couple of hours and then will hopefully still have energy left to tackle the to do list.

And then at some point I'll have to think about what videogame to play next. The difficulties of life.

Yesterday I jokingly suggested Nintendo Wildlife Reserve Manager as a game but now I do want some sort of management sim from them.

I might just buy Mini Metro instead for now.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the next Tomodachi game has more of that. It'd be difficult to balance it with the life sim aspects though.

I'd lose my mind.

You know what would completely break it though? A Nintendo theme park tycoon game like Planet Coaster and Thrillville.

Some game related to the gestion of Nintendo x Universal theme parks is something I could see it happening some day
Or maybe use it as a chance to revisit Nintendoland like how other games revisit Wuhu Island!

Staff Post - re: achievement discussion
Staff Communication
It’s valid for folks to like or dislike achievements and it’s valid for it to be discussed. There has been wording in some posts in the thread that have been aggressive or downright rude and we need to be able to disagree with each other without resorting to attacking. If you feel yourself getting heated by someone else’s opinion, either don’t engage or take a step away before replying. - blondkayvon, mazi, paranoodle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom