• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that Agnes for Smash 4 fake rumor back in the day? It seemed a bit plausible at the time because we thought a Bravely Default character would be the best Square would allow. I'll be honest, the concept for the rumor seemed cool. Each of her special attacks would change her job. It would probably be a mess visually but still a cool idea.

star-fox-adventures-star-fox-assault-star-fox-command-lylat-wars-png-favpng-hFjCEvHTSjwqQ0EUVsqZt9nBn.jpg

Felt like posting this for some strange reason

If you knew nothing about this game except for this video, how could you not play it?

...I know nothing about this game except for this video.

Now you know nothing about this game aside from that video and now this one.

o_O

I'll always defend Krystal sticking around; Everything and anything Rare created for Nintendo should stay.

Regarding Smash, I wanted her for a while, since there wouldn't be any way Sakurai could turn her into a Fox semi-clone;

Nintendo wouldn't extend my NSO voucher after the double Advance Wars delay, so Pokemon Legends is downloading and I'll be starting that at a point in the near future.

I've now realized its been 6 years since Star Fox Zero.

I think enough time has passed for a new entry after the whole Zero fiasco. (I did not like the game xD)

What ever happened to Borderlands 3 coming to Switch? Wasn’t it rated, or was that debunked?
My guess is it moved to Switch Pro. Either as an exclusive or an enhanced launch title.

Also don't forget some ports take years to make.

I just realized that the first Bravely Default having Flying Fairy as a subtitle is a nod to Final Fantasy.

Another thing I noticed is that the singer theme had been already introduced in the first game, since Tiz is Tiziano Ferro.

I just realized that the first Bravely Default having Flying Fairy as a subtitle is a nod to Final Fantasy.

Another thing I noticed is that the singer theme had been already introduced in the first game, since Tiz is Tiziano Ferro.
They do a lot of work with a simple title. Evoking Final Fantasy, and uhhh... spoilers, but if you know, you know.

Speaking of Borderlands, the trilogy is $15 physical code on Amazon. Finally gonna jump in I think, over 70 hours of content for a basic playthru jeez lol

They do a lot of work with a simple title. Evoking Final Fantasy, and uhhh... spoilers, but if you know, you know.
Lol I remember that. Some post-modern storytelling right there.
I really need to get on BDII soon lol

Speaking of Borderlands, the trilogy is $15 physical code on Amazon. Finally gonna jump in I think, over 70 hours of content for a basic playthru jeez lol
I loved the first two back in the day, had a blast with them. And I found them hilarious, if a little overboard at times. But I remember that I started to fall off the series with the Pre-Sequel, and then Borderlands 3 was fun mechanically (maybe felt a little dated?) but I found the writing to be pretty bad and boring, really lacking whatever magic the first two had.

Still, for $15 can't go wrong! Tons of content and great looter gunplay. A blast in multiplayer, too, if you can make that happen.

I loved the first two back in the day, had a blast with them. And I found them hilarious, if a little overboard at times. But I remember that I started to fall off the series with the Pre-Sequel, and then Borderlands 3 was fun mechanically (maybe felt a little dated?) but I found the writing to be pretty bad and boring, really lacking whatever magic the first two had.

Still, for $15 can't go wrong! Tons of content and great looter gunplay. A blast in multiplayer, too, if you can make that happen.
Yeah I played 1 and some of 2 on PC back in the day but ever since the port was announced I knew it’d be nice to have “in my pocket”. Same with Bioshock which I got on a great discount as well but still haven’t played beyond an initial boot lol

Mechanically BL3 is nice, but yeah the writing is weird and I was wanting a more straight laced villain amongst all the wackiness and humor.

Roland dying, when you die just as easily and come back is still something that bothers me in BL2.

Support your Ukrainian studio bringing this game to Switch under harsh conditions. I got the first one, they're actually pretty solid adventure games and truly miracle ports.

They should really just brand Asano's games as Final Fantasy games. They essentially are in all but name. I could understand if this was still the ye olden days when Square was a bit more conservative with the Final Fantasy branding. But nowadays, they slap that shit onto a ton of stuff, much of which is garbage. So they are not exactly concerned about bad products hurting the overall brand anymore.
The fact that Square Enix is fine slapping the Final Fantasy branding on a ton of stuff is good enough reason in not having Team Asano's games tied to the brand. Being tagged to a well-known franchise comes with plenty of expectations and baggage and I think Team Asano has done a great job carving themselves a place within the Nintendo fanbase without all that.

Checking my genre groups on Switch and it goes:

• 36 - RPG
  • 20 - Adventure
  • 13 - Action
  • 13 - Text-based Adventure
  • 12 - Platformers
  • 11 - Puzzle
  • 8 - Shooters
  • 7 - Search-Action
  • 6 - Strategy
  • 4 - Retro Console
  • 2 - Capitalism Simulator
  • 2 - Racing
  • 2 - Miscellaneous (WarioWare and Sayonara Wild Hearts)

Genre categories are deliberately loose and mainly were an exercise to get me to think about both the types of games I like today as well as genre variety within gaming. RPGs contains every subset of RPG I have - Japanese, Western, Action, Turn-Based, Strategy. Strategy contains tactics and strategy, so things like Into the Breach, Wargroove, Civilization VI. Puzzle doesn't contain any pure Puzzle games, but does contain things as different as Part-time UFO and What Remains of Edith Finch. Text-based Adventure contains everything from Detective Club and Phoenix Wright to indies like Oxenfree, Kentucky Route Zero, and the Circular games. The above makes for 136 games, plus Smash, which, as my only fighting game, is in one of my two other groups (see below). Search-Action is what I decided to call 'Metroidvania' and Capitalism Simulators are Animal Crossing and Stardrew Valley.

Some genre totals are also slightly misleading because of compilations. And, once you add the 160 or so games currently on NSO, and account for compilations, the total number of games playable on my Switch right now would be a little over 300.

My two other groups:

Multiplayer (which is also the only group Smash is in, due to Smash being my only fighting game)
Pile of Shame (my 18 game backlog)

These groups contain a mixture of games which are otherwise accounted for.

Anyway, the group function is a lot of fun because it lets me classify and sort my games. A one button shortcut from the start menu, or an icon on the main menu like NSO got, would be handy in future.

The fact that Square Enix is fine slapping the Final Fantasy branding on a ton of stuff is good enough reason in not having Team Asano's games tied to the brand. Being tagged to a well-known franchise comes with plenty of expectations and baggage and I think Team Asano has done a great job carving themselves a place within the Nintendo fanbase without all that.

Since it needs to be said a third time, saying that the Final Fantasy name has a lot of expectations and baggage doesn't hold much water considering the range of games from crappy mobile games to spinoffs such as World of Final Fantasy to mainline games that use the Final Fantasy branding. I'll be honest, the people making this argument probably don't know much about the broader Final Fantasy franchise over the past 20 years.

I'm not saying that the Asano games should be numbered FF games. But you can call the Bravely Default series something like Final Fantasy Bravely. It's not even a far out there concept considering that the BD series originated from a Final Fantasy 4 Heroes of Light. BD games are already FF games in all but title. For all the unneeded "baggage" people say Team Asano doesn't need, they sure to happily take on that baggage.

Super Weenie Hut Jr's: Yoshi
Weenie Hut Jr's: Kirby
Weenie Hut: Super Mario Bros.
Salty Spitoon: Donkey Kong Country

I'm having trouble deciphering Nintendo's platformer strategy. Is Kirby actually Super Weenie Hut Jr's? Yoshi can get pretty challenging sometimes, but Kirby feels more mature which is why I placed it in the Weenie Hut Jr's tier.
What's the deal with these 2 franchises?

Super Weenie Hut Jr's: Yoshi
Weenie Hut Jr's: Kirby
Weenie Hut: Super Mario Bros.
Salty Spitoon: Donkey Kong Country

I'm having trouble deciphering Nintendo's platformer strategy. Is Kirby actually Super Weenie Hut Jr's? Yoshi can get pretty challenging sometimes, but Kirby feels more mature which is why I placed it in the Weenie Hut Jr's tier.
What's the deal with these 2 franchises?
Weenie Hut General : Dr Mario

Might as well announce it here as well since this sometimes goes under "general thread" for Famiboards:

New ST thread for the Dragon Ball series (specifically the entire franchise) is finally here.

There's also the Star Wars ST that was made recently in case you're interested in that instead (or both, idk):
Yfl0tRx.webp

Who would you like to see in Smash?

Tifa
Krystal
Lara Croft
Amy Rose
Chun-Li
I'd vote Amy, because having a diminutive character with a bigass hammer would both be hilarious and fit in well with Smash's aesthetic.

You don't have to pick between those 5. I was just asking who you would like to see in Smash.
Oh. Well then, honestly? Lucca from Chrono Trigger. Avoids the "anime swordfighter" argument that would come from using Crono, by her using a combo of fire magic, projectiles, and weirdly, also a hammer. Plus her costume design and overall look is rad. Her Final Smash could be based on her final screenwide Flare tech (which could look badass if translated into 3D) or could bring in one or two of the other CT characters for a big Dual or Triple Tech (Marle for Antipode 3 would rock, or Crono/Marle for Delta Attack would be cool too). And y'all know her victory screen music would be top notch.

No, I haven't thought about this much at all, why do you ask?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom