• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST6 Mar. 2022| Marchful Mode

What is the best (non-Kirby) Kirby franchise main character?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am replaying Ocarina of Time and... Did the ghost shop owner just implied he wanted to work as a prostitute?

Damn, I didn't remember this line at all

So if the Drake is happening this year, the question is will Nintendo have their E3 Direct with absolutely no mention of it yet, and then announce it a week or two later in classic Nintendo fashion?

Or, will they want to show off new games (especially BOTW2) with the graphical upgrade right off the bat to really blow people away?

So if the Drake is happening this year, the question is will Nintendo have their E3 Direct with absolutely no mention of it yet, and then announce it a week or two later in classic Nintendo fashion?

Or, will they want to show off new games (especially BOTW2) with the graphical upgrade right off the bat to really blow people away?
they could delay E3 direct to July

I'm expecting a mix of both. Nintendo's E3 showing has a few games that look "too good to be running Switch" and then a couple weeks later, boom, Drake announcement.

My theory is, a few weeks before their Actual June E3-Stand-In Direct, we'll get a hardware teaser. They'll upload a Youtube video titled something like "The First Look at the Super Nintendo Switch" and it'll be a hardware showcase thing, showcasing various existing Switch games running on it, with "4K HDR Graphics" and something corny like "Super-Charged Performance" being words that appear on-screen throughout the video, and it ends with text saying "See More During a Nintendo Direct on June Xth, 2022"

Nintendrakes what Steamdeckn't

Depending on the game it can probably render some games at 4k without any magic (aka DLSS). Not sure about Animal Crossing.

But any existing game would need to be patched to take advantage of this.
With my library, would need a bigger card just for the patches.

they could delay E3 direct to July
Yeah if E3 is indeed not happening I could see Nintendo actually holding a Spaceworld type event later in the Summer where they can actually invite press to come try out the new hardware.

If we get to TGS without knowing about the new Nintendo hardware, consider my goblins thoroughly bonked.

I for one will be elated when the Dane or whatever is revealed. That means we can move on to the true speculation of the successor.

While I admire the dedication to detail I find this increase attention to realism in games creepy. I mean I like the level designs, but when it comes to the realistic characters you see in games like Horizon, God of War, and other Sony titles I just get a chill up my back. Doesn't matter how realistic you make them my mind instantly recognizes them as unnatural.
Here’s to five more years of Switch Pro begging and “will emulate on Steam Deck”.
I think my favourite discourse is going to be "Nintendo responds to Steam Deck", "Nintendo spurred into action by threat of Steam Deck", "Nintendo's PANIC proves Steam Deck is the best choice for serious gamers".
Thankfully we all moved at the right time then; I agree that discourse will definitely be annoying until Valve loses interest in the Deck and moves onto the next shiny thing.

Doesn't matter how realistic you make them my mind instantly recognizes them as unnatural.
Yeah, with you on that. I don't think I'll ever get over this feeling, either. Unless we'd get to the point where I forget that I'm ultimately still playing a game.

While I admire the dedication to detail I find this increase attention to realism in games creepy. I mean I like the level designs, but when it comes to the realistic characters you see in games like Horizon, God of War, and other Sony titles I just get a chill up my back. Doesn't matter how realistic you make them my mind instantly recognizes them as unnatural.
It also gives way to another layer of creepy that has been bugging me lately about the response to this level of fidelity, which I think this tweet sums up well:

These last two years have felt like 5 decades.

Some part haha but mostly part sad.

It hasn't been too bad for me personally since I finally got out of a six year relationship that I hated. I have felt like a new man.

But yea, the world events of the last two years has been something to behold.

Remember last year when insiders were saying “the new Switch reveal was imminent” prior to E3? Nate commented on this I think saying devs wanted to show game(s) at E3 running on the new hardware (I can’t quite remember what Nate said exactly so he’ll have to correct me if so).

To me this is the scenario that made the most sense. Reveal this new iteration of Switch prior to E3 so devs at E3 can talk about “look our game is running on Switch Drake”.

I am replaying Ocarina of Time and... Did the ghost shop owner just implied he wanted to work as a prostitute?

Damn, I didn't remember this line at all
Well there are other occupations he might have been considering. But prostitute is the most obvious one. It was part of Nintendo's new approach to Link with Ocarina of Time.

I'm creeped out by the attempt. Trying to make the facsimile indistinguishable for reality is highly problematic.

Well there are other occupations he might have been considering. But prostitute is the most obvious one. It was part of Nintendo's new approach to Link with Ocarina of Time.

I'm creeped out by the attempt. Trying to make the facsimile indistinguishable for reality is highly problematic.

Not only that it’s very very boring too. Like why do i want real looking people in games, stylized art styles are way better and more memorable

I wonder if that Batman collection hasn’t been revealed yet because it’s running on new hardware? Borderlands 3 as well.

That’s an interesting thought. Because I cannot imagine Arkham Knight on the OG Switch. The level of detail in that game is still insane.

Japanese developers (well mainly square enix) have a problem with this too

Like to me it’s very clear that older FFs were intended to evoke anime despite being sprite based

But now we’re at FFXV and that was some weird… pseudo anime/realistic characters. I don’t even know how to explain it because you ONLY see it in games and I think it’s because they succumbed to “big AAA series must have detailed realism” that western devs did when the logical jump would’ve been a BotW-esque stylized art style for FF. Or Xenoblade DE idk.

Japanese developers (well mainly square enix) have a problem with this too

Like to me it’s very clear that older FFs were intended to evoke anime despite being sprite based

But now we’re at FFXV and that was some weird… pseudo anime/realistic characters. I don’t even know how to explain it because you ONLY see it in games and I think it’s because they succumbed to “big AAA series must have detailed realism” that western devs did when the logical jump would’ve been a BotW-esque stylized art style for FF. Or Xenoblade DE idk.
In Square's case specifically, that change started with FFX (if not VII, VIII, and Parasite Eve) and their animated films, and reached it with Advent Children, rather than in a game. I wouldn't say it was in response to realistic-looking games from the West necessarily.

Maximum oof.

I do hope we get the story of wtf this game was supposed to be initally at some point.

Babylon's Fall looks like a game that should've been canceled but they just decided to send it out the door to recoup some of the development costs.

It’s about time for Nintendo or Microsoft to step in IMO.
MS is out of the picture until JP governement removes some COVID laws that make it impossible for forgein companies to adquire JP based companies , this means only JP based companies could buy PG and I dont see any doing either because culture (nintendo) , money issues (sega) or having already done big adquistions recently (sony) ig maybe Capcom or Koei? but that would be weird

Platinum is privately owned, so no one is buying them unless they want to be sold.
The thing is that they have said they are open to being bought recently (couple this with the fact that Hideki Kamiya said they would love to be able to finish Scalebound)

It’s about time for Nintendo or Microsoft to step in IMO.
Nintendo gains nothing as platinum don’t own any of their valuable IP (Bayonetta, Nier, Metal Gear) and the development culture there seems not great in a lot of ways (this is likely a problem with the third parties that contract them to make the games though). Would be best just to offer them jobs for studio expansion. Astral Chain sequels could likely be made in house or farmed out to someone else in this scenario.

The thing is that they have said they are open to being bought recently (couple this with the fact that Hideki Kamiya said they would love to be able to finish Scalebound)
Considering that the quality of Platinum and its work is questionable at best when it doesn't have a third party keeping an eye on it, who would actually want to buy them?

Nintendo gains nothing as platinum don’t own any of their valuable IP (Bayonetta, Nier, Metal Gear) and the development culture there seems not great in a lot of ways (this is likely a problem with the third parties that contract them to make the games though). Would be best just to offer them jobs for studio expansion. Astral Chain sequels could likely be made in house or farmed out to someone else in this scenario.
Yeah I agree, who is going to pay tens of millions of dollars for Kamiya and his bad attitude?

And you know what will happen? They owners will sell Platinum, and then set up their own indie studios with their own money, and snatch the employees that they want to take with them(If they want to go)

What does Platinum actually have thats worth anything?

Considering that the quality of Platinum and its work is questionable at best when it doesn't have a third party keeping an eye on it, who would actually want to buy them?
To be fair I dont see nobody doing it just that for PG to be able to have a future they need to be bought or change their ways as soon as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom