• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST33 June 2024| Bash at the Beach feat. chocolate_supra

• Thread starter Deleted member 1081
  • Start date
gotta hand it to the fromsoftware hypebeasts for simultaneously being very happy and very pissed off that their games are now mainstream and being played by a lot of people
The “git gud” crowd gives Souls games a bad name and will never be happy about basically anything, so whatever.

gotta hand it to the fromsoftware hypebeasts for simultaneously being very happy and very pissed off that their games are now mainstream and being played by a lot of people
I will never get those "fans" freezing to death out in the cold because they are so busy outside gatekeeping, keeping everybody who they deem not worthy of enjoying the game they found out before "the mainstream", out.

Edit: last sentence sounded more rude than I wanted it to be even though it was by figure of speech, so I deleted it.

Last edited:
Those hype beasts need to be reminded that if not more people play these games, they won’t receive any sequels.

As someone who only played Demon’s Souls OG, Dark Souls and BloodBorne, I don’t think some truly understand how unique it is that these games found a bigger audience over time. Other games tanked in the sales department for less.

Which reminds me, Bloodborne 2 please. Only Souls game I completed and that’s because it’s so smooth in the combat department. I like the vibe better too

Those hype beasts need to be reminded that if not more people play these games, they won’t receive any sequels.

As someone who only played Demon’s Souls OG, Dark Souls and BloodBorne, I don’t think some truly understand how unique it is that these games found a bigger audience over time. Other games tanked in the sales department for less.

Which reminds me, Bloodborne 2 please. Only Souls game I completed and that’s because it’s so smooth in the combat department. I like the vibe better too
I'm more of a Souls-person, but I'm surprised Sony doesn't do anything with Bloodborne. But maybe the coming year? They did the Demon's Souls remake, so a Bloodborne 2 must be something they consider.

it is more based to be an xbox fan than a nintendo fan
Depends on why you're a fan.

Some became Xbox fans because of Halo and CoD

Others became Xbox fans by following a bunch of Sega franchises after the Dreamcast died

One of those two groups is based

it me

(idk that I would call myself an Xbox fan tho)
wGlkubj.gif

(I'm also not a fan anymore but I definitely was back then)

I don't know how the hardcore Xbox fan feels but I think the hardcore Halo fan would appreciate at least ports of the old games coming to other systems. That's one community that's been down in the dumps lately. I think Halo appearing on Nintendo and Playstation can bring a bit of excitement to the series. Lapsed fans and people who have never played the series can jump back in and relive the olden days. If there's crossplay, the Halo MCC population can get a significant boost which would benefit people on Xbox.

I was fortunate to have the GCN, PS2, and Xbox growing up and while the Xbox was my tertiary console, based on play time, there were definitely some great gems on the system. I have fond memories of playing Halo 1 and 2, KOTOR 1 and 2, Jade Empire, Splinter Cell, and Half-Life 2. The Xbox was unique from the other two by providing PC like experiences to console users. The 360 was my main platform while in college. Microsoft was publishing titles like Gears of War, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and the likes. You know, titles that you'd expect an American guy age 18 to 21 would want to play. Plus they had Lost Odyssey and Fable.

After college I started to fall away from the system. I was back to playing more RPGs more and delving into PC gaming. I waited 2 years to see if I should pick up a PS4 or Xbox One and like most people, the PS4 won out. The closure of some of their internal studios and a lack of good first party output also didn't help their case to gamers.

Current Xbox is weird to me. There are like 3 main subset of fans these days. There are the corporation fans who just want Microsoft to win. I find these people are the loudest when it comes to cheerleading for company acquisitions. The care less about the platform or the quality of games themselves. They just want a big list of things Microsoft owns to brag about online.

Then there are those who like Xbox hardware and the platform. These people are probably most concerned about Microsoft putting games on other systems. They like gaming on Xbox and they don't want to see that go away. It's understandable.

I kind of fall into a third camp where I want to see Microsoft succeed as a publisher, whether that be first party or third party. Their franchises and games are what excited me about the platform back in the day. I was never of the position that Microsoft needed to buy more companies to succeed. Them owning Call of Duty instead of Activision does nothing to help me as a consumer, aside from it being on Game Pass. What I wanted to see was for Microsoft to invest in the studios they already had. Make great titles in the Halo, Fable, and Gears of War IPs. Use that wealth they have to invest in brand new IPs. When Microsoft bought Bethesda, you at least hoped that the Microsoft money would help keep studios afloat and give them time to polish their games. But nope. Still rushed products and closure for some studios. There are still some interesting games in the pipeline and I hope Microsoft finally gets things right.

So being an Xbox fan nowadays is a mixed bag to say the least. Push aside the business and the consoles, I'm still playing to Xbox to "get it" in terms of game development.

I've been enjoying anime quite a lot lately, even though I suck at sticking to series and no nothing of modern anime and good strategies in following series lol

Here are my succinct impressions of the new Elden Ring DLC:

Exploring the world and delving into dungeons:

:D

Bosses, and the ‘git gud’ discourse surrounding them:

:(

It blows my mind that Capcom hasn’t remastered Ultimate Ghosts & Goblins and put it on Switch don’t they know they’re missing out on dozens of sales?!?!

It feels so freaking good to have a Nintendo system that's still receiving strong support this late in its life.

As much as I loved systems like the Wii, the lack of games in the last year before replacement always stung, so to still have so much good stuff coming is amazing.

I feel like a kitten in a catnip store rn on Switch, and it is glorious. As a fan since the SNES, this may be the best we've ever had it.

Here are my succinct impressions of the new Elden Ring DLC:

Exploring the world and delving into dungeons:

:D

Bosses, and the ‘git gud’ discourse surrounding them:

:(
The two bosses I've fought so far are really cool but they do feel dialed up to 11 a little bit. Especially compared to the difficulty of the areas around them. I would recommend exploring around to find more Scadutree fragments before doing much with bosses - and definitely use the gold summon signs and/or spirit ash to help if you want to!

The two bosses I've fought so far are really cool but they do feel dialed up to 11 a little bit. Especially compared to the difficulty of the areas around them. I would recommend exploring around to find more Scadutree fragments before doing much with bosses - and definitely use the gold summon signs and/or spirit ash to help if you want to!
Thanks, and whilst I have been using all the tools at my disposal (been doing so since 2011 lmao), my issues with the bosses run a lot deeper unfortunately. I’ll get into it a lot more when I eventually finish things up and write my review over in the 2024 completed games thread.

It feels so freaking good to have a Nintendo system that's still receiving strong support this late in its life.

As much as I loved systems like the Wii, the lack of games in the last year before replacement always stung, so to still have so much good stuff coming is amazing.

I feel like a kitten in a catnip store rn on Switch, and it is glorious. As a fan since the SNES, this may be the best we've ever had it.
Haven't gotten a system this well supported since the DS I'd say. Even if all those games weren't to everyone's tastes, no doubt Nintendo kept that thing going to the bitter end.

it really is. My dad tries to google stuff and is getting so confused lately. Like he'll search for a very specific thing like, say 1963 corvette and it'll show him a 1972 instead and he'll be like "that's not what I searched for, what are they doing?" and I'll look and it's because the first 50% of the scroll is sponsored junk that's close but not quite. And it sucks, that trying to find information is now a minefield of confusion.

I try to describe to him that google will show him things that companies pay to have show up at the top, whether it's what he searched for or not. Because it's ads and sponsorships and things like that. He says "that's insane, they should show me the stuff I searched for" and it's wild what a valley there is between how sensible that sounds and how unrealistic it is. It's a thing that keeps coming up, I keep having to explain it because to his mind it's perfectly normal and natural to expect "ask thing a question, thing answers your question" but instead reality is "ask thing a question, thing gives you answers to things you didn't ask because multiple corporations have paid to get their products in front of your eyes masquerading as answers to your question" and that sounds so cynical but it's exactly what is happening. And that was before AI made it exponentially worse.

Google is getting to be like a ScreenRant article or a home cooking recipe: when it loads I pretty much automatically scroll about halfway down the page assuming the information I was actually looking for is down there or further. And I'm usually right.
We're pretty much back where the 20th century started. Film and TV having mixes of entertainment and, educational content, before corporate sponsors begin putting out fancy slogans and false sayings that manipulate people into buying diamond rings because they're tradition or something.

Last edited:
Nearly midnight and it's still 90 degrees outside. Ugh.
Sympathy Yeah!. We’re supposed to hit upper 90s to over 100 multiple days in the next week or so and I was not ready for summer to kick in this hard so soon. Can I hibernate until September?

Fuck this heatwave, man! I have a bunch of fans on and I even put a cup of ice near one to make some cold air come in, but it melted almost immediately! And I feel a headache brewing, which, obviously, is not fun in this fuck ass weather! This week's supposed to be lower, but it's still gonna suck!

Holy cow this is what I'd want for a Sonic Adventure remaster: same game, same models (though I'd prefer the Dreamcast models and this used the GC ones but still), same everything, just throw in some traced rays.

The good stuff starts around 1:53 if the timestamp doesn't work:

And yes I am Sonicposting on main but it's his birthday, alright?

Sorry to keep talking about Elden Ring but it’s kind of all I can think about sooooo…

The DLC map might be the most interesting and best-designed world From has ever made. I’ll hold judgement since I don’t even think I’m halfway through yet but it’s amazing the verticality and layers it has on top of just being beautiful.

I was thinking and other than maybe MonolithSoft I can’t think of any dev that does exploration and world/level design as good as From.

Sabrina Carpenter just covered Chappell Roan with a country twang and I dunno what's real anymore

It's like a reverse Dolly Parton
except I assume the cover won't get more famous this time

Took me a while to get that Kojima picture.

@Bonejack are you writing articles for NintendoLife now?

I'm way too lazy to write for any website, but i'm glad that my time as "Scrollwheel-Shoulderbutton-Pope*" was worth it to spread the good word of unity, freedom, peace and Scrollwheel-Shoulderbuttons for Switch 2.

Not affiliated with Doritos-Pope or *yuck the actual Pope.

wow these uk royals are having some time after the queen died. not that i really care for them at all, but like they seem to be getting sick or hurt a lot more…elizabeth’s lizard magic is waning

been playing through the DLC and i'm gonna be honest, i deeply miss the Sekiro combat.

Like... Is it me or are majority of the ER DLC bosses like something from Sekiro or bloodborne, since i feel like if ER had the mechanic that both games had, then the DLC bosses would be awesome, but i feel like the bosses just consist of dodging for 30 seconds and hitting the boss one time, if i'm aggressive, then i'll just get 2 shot and be finished.

I kinda miss the dancing flow of bloodborne and Sekiro since it rewards it's players of being aggressive and feels like a dance, meanwhile ER it punishes you. I wouldn't be complaining if the bossed didn't have shit load of combos and 1 hit moves, meanwhile the base player can barely do shit and it's combat.

Also collecting small fragments is quite lame tbh.

Like Sekiro parry system is peak.

been playing through the DLC and i'm gonna be honest, i deeply miss the Sekiro combat.

Like... Is it me or are majority of the ER DLC bosses like something from Sekiro or bloodborne, since i feel like if ER had the mechanic that both games had, then the DLC bosses would be awesome, but i feel like the bosses just consist of dodging for 30 seconds and hitting the boss one time, if i'm aggressive, then i'll just get 2 shot and be finished.

I kinda miss the dancing flow of bloodborne and Sekiro since it rewards it's players of being aggressive and feels like a dance, meanwhile ER it punishes you. I wouldn't be complaining if the bossed didn't have shit load of combos and 1 hit moves, meanwhile the base player can barely do shit and it's combat.

Also collecting small fragments is quite lame tbh.

Like Sekiro parry system is peak.

Instead of bringing Sekiro stuff into Elden Ring / Souls, how about we get FROM to create Souls bosses again instead of putting Sekiro bosses into Souls / Elden Ring. ;D

And honestly, the thought of having to parry the Shadow of Erdtree bosses i've seen so far, with their never-ending combos and screen obscuring attacks / effects, is giving me shivers down the spine.

Back
Top Bottom