• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST33 June 2024| Bash at the Beach feat. chocolate_supra

• Thread starter Deleted member 1081
  • Start date
Zelda II is sooo good! I've actually been obsessed with it since release haha! I always admired the raw balance in levelling in the Japanese version, even though the western version feels more fair.

this came up in another thread so I wanted to make this post here:

so I didn't give a shit about games really as a kid, other than "they were around and I thought it was interesting" and "I'd like to make these some day"

I didn't follow the industry, I just tried a little of everything where it came up

this is an attempt to trace my own journey here, for... idk what for! but I'm gonna give it a go.

Expect it to be a bad mess, I don't remember shit and the order may be utterly fucked.

Okay, this is a series now. we're breaking this into multiple parts.

I. The 90s, Part I

1. There are weird games on computers at school and at home. Real early shit. I vaguely recall:

- Some point & click thing on a pirate ship where someone sings "my doggy lies over the ocean..."

- Some bright CMYK-ass haunted house point-and-click situation

- That but in the ocean, maybe. Definite clamshells.

- That but a weird circus

2. Tamagotchi — yeah, this was a great way to traumatize a kid. I lost it in the back of my mom's car and couldn't find it for days and my little dude was dead when I got it back. never again. I was haunted.

3. SNES Round 1 — I was at my mom's friend's place and her kid showed me Cool Spot (which ruled) and Super Mario World (which I hated and couldn't get a grip on)

4. SNES Round 2 — At some point, I was pawned off at my babysitter's house and watched her play Donkey Kong Country.

No clue when that was, because I literally remember that as the only time I was ever "babysat" before they just started leaving me places or giving me housekeys.

But seeing DKC was the real "oh shit" moment for me. Games were interesting, actually.

5. Mechanical something? There was this wind up shit where you had to move a knight through some dragons going up and down, but if one landed on you, you were fucked. I think I found this in a box of Goosebumps books. Shit needed to be oiled.

6. Fake-ass vtech laptop — maybe "whizkid" line? idk, that shit was cool when I was like hardly sentient

7. Game Boy Pocket — I somehow wound up with one! I think this was my first "real" game system.

- There was some single player action game that seemed vaguely militant, but I doubt it was a Contra? There was a flamethrower. I liked it.

- I spent a lot of time playing Donkey Kong Land, really struggled with the clam boss but it was exciting to win. I remember something about a hot tub, maybe? or maybe that was just being left in a room while one parent or another was at the gym or a party.

- I think that's all I played, tbh

- At some point it wasn't working quite right (probably low on battery) and this older kid I knew said he'd fix it for me. He gave me five dollars as "collateral."

aaaaand that's how I was scammed out of it. I was really really young and had no idea what was going on, but I was fucking humiliated. This was maybe a month before we moved, and each time I went to beg for it back, he just said no. I didn't want to be a narc and also didn't trust any old people in my life to fix the situation, so... that was that. fucked.

8. Hedgehog — I saw fucko the hedge boy for the first time around this era too, over at a neighbor-friend's house...

but I only saw a shred of it because that kid turned out to be both a fool and a narc. I was shooting the shit and talking about lizards basking in the sun, and that fucker grabbed the nearest available mother-figure, pointed at me, and screamed "THEY SAID BASTARD! THEY'RE SWEARING!!!!!!"

soooo. that ended that, lmao

come to think of it, no one was too thrilled about me being the gender abyss then either, so I'm sure a lot people were looking for any reason to confirm their own horseshit about me. great job, gang. being a dick to children pays off!!

9. Space Cadet 3D Pinball — if you didn't experience a smoke-filled press club in the 90s, I don't know what to tell you. That shit's extinct now. Anyhow, that's where I played computer pinball for the first time, which I also loved.

This is the same place I learned to crave pool.

I think that computer wound up in my mouse-infested attic bedroom once the Press Club fell apart. I remember trying to figure out Minesweeper (badly) while none of my (stolen) sea monkeys managed to hatch. C'est la vie!

Just got done with some fillings and now I find out that I need to get 3 wisdom teeth removed and a deep cleaning. That's gonna cost me about $2000! Fuck it, I'm getting dental insurance l, this is way too fucking much!

Just got done with some fillings and now I find out that I need to get 3 wisdom teeth removed and a deep cleaning. That's gonna cost me about $2000! Fuck it, I'm getting dental insurance l, this is way too fucking much!
Wtf, that much???

I'm always surprised at the medical costs in other countries and I understand why we have dental tourism in Mexico.

I wanted to start a fragrances thread on here but am afraid it dies out fast. Plus I just want to talk about my favourite house, Guerlain 😂

i need 4 screws from ikea and they’re being shipped to me, not from anywhere in the uk but from slovakia, i don’t understand

Dude, these past procedures are costing me roughly $5500! It was kick in the throat realizing that my health insurance wasn't gonna cover any of it. @chocolate_supra was right, this shit is a scam!!!
Omg... Like, I pay like 15 € insurance extra for things like dental procedures and if I have fillings or other bigger things I maybe pay like 100 € if it's REALLY a lot of work. Are you in the US?

Omg... Like, I pay like 15 € insurance extra for things like dental procedures and if I have fillings or other bigger things I maybe pay like 100 € if it's REALLY a lot of work. Are you in the US?
Yep. Does your health insurance cover dental or is it separate, like in the states?

If you’re playing MSH online in the MVC collection and see this character, just surrender XD

anita.webp

Finally time for Sega to announce madou monogatari 4
They’re finally letting us fight Schezo’s bloody decapitated head again!

Yep. Does your health insurance cover dental or is it separate, like in the states?
It's separate, but mostly it's in an extra package you pay something like 15 /20 € extra for (depending on the insurer) and it also has a travel insurance, covers all kinds of therapies and has a cover for free new glasses every two year etc.

It's separate, but mostly it's in an extra package you pay something like 15 /20 € extra for (depending on the insurer) and it also has a travel insurance, covers all kinds of therapies and has a cover for free new glasses every two year etc.
Oh, how I envy, you..........

No, hate, btw. Just lamenting the absolute state of the American Health Care System, lol.

Looking at similar games, the new Paper Mario's sales are down 8% compared with the opening two weeks of last year's Super Mario RPG, and 8.5% lower than 2020's Paper Mario: The Origami King

European Sales May 2024

Europe as a whole seems to be in a rough patch, but I hope this isn't a sign that Nintendo have released too many Mario RPGs too quickly.

Last edited:
European Sales May 2024

Europe as a whole seems to be in a rough patch, but I hope this isn't a sign that Nintendo have released too many Mario RPGs too quickly.
TTYD was always likely to sell less than the preceeding Paper Mario, but it's important to note Nintendo don't share digital figures with the European charts, so we don't have a complete picture. It's possible the digital ratio is higher this time, for example. Either way, a small drop in physical sales isn't really any problem.

We got a new tube put in last week to try decompress our bowel but it's already seems to be infected. Life is so annoying!!!!!!!!

There are 3 support agents in my office me incluiding me. One is sick and probably isn't going to be available until Friday and the other ones leaves tomorrow on PTO for 2 weeks 🙃

Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

y’know what’s wild? before major gaming events, minus the more notable leakers, you always hear reports of what seems to be random people on the interwebs who’ll leak correct stuff beforehand but no one actually knows who they are so it goes completely under the radar. like if some random told me the new mario and luigi was gonna have brothership in the title or mp4 was gonna be called beyond, i’d fully laugh in your face. but if nate or pyoro said it i’d 100% trust it.

been playing through the DLC and i'm gonna be honest, i deeply miss the Sekiro combat.

Like... Is it me or are majority of the ER DLC bosses like something from Sekiro or bloodborne, since i feel like if ER had the mechanic that both games had, then the DLC bosses would be awesome, but i feel like the bosses just consist of dodging for 30 seconds and hitting the boss one time, if i'm aggressive, then i'll just get 2 shot and be finished.

I kinda miss the dancing flow of bloodborne and Sekiro since it rewards it's players of being aggressive and feels like a dance, meanwhile ER it punishes you. I wouldn't be complaining if the bossed didn't have shit load of combos and 1 hit moves, meanwhile the base player can barely do shit and it's combat.

Also collecting small fragments is quite lame tbh.

Like Sekiro parry system is peak.

I do love Sekiro, but for Elden Ring it depends a lot on play style. I’m running Darkmoon Greatsword so for me bosses come down to proccing frostbite and then guard countering and/or doing big heavy hits so I can get the stagger for big damage chunks. So for me you actually do need to be aggressive since both of those things require you to be hitting in a timely fashion and not just dodging - it adds a real risk reward element to combat

9. Space Cadet 3D Pinball — if you didn't experience a smoke-filled press club in the 90s, I don't know what to tell you. That shit's extinct now. Anyhow, that's where I played computer pinball for the first time, which I also loved.
Everyone talks about Space Cadet 3D but the one I grew up with was just called "ENIGMA"

Actually I've recently looked it up and found it was a 1-level demo of a whole game called "Epic Pinball" and "ENIGMA" was just one of the boards, but I didn't know that at the time. All I knew was the level said "ENIGMA" at the top and I thought it was rad.

Also the music didn't work because my sound card (or lack thereof?) didn't support it so it was just sounds, which meant I always played it with a bunch of neat indie midi music from my own collection.

So basically this, but instead of the music that's there imagine some really well-composed 90s midi

I wanted to start a fragrances thread on here but am afraid it dies out fast.
That's why you need the new Febreze Fade Defy plug-in, which uses a microchip to manage fragrance dispersal to keep it from dying out.

Last edited:
Everyone talks about Space Cadet 3D but the one I grew up with was just called "ENIGMA"

Actually I've recently looked it up and found it was a 1-level demo of a whole game called "Epic Pinball" and "ENIGMA" was just one of the boards, but I didn't know that at the time. All I knew was the level said "ENIGMA" at the top and I thought it was rad.

Also the music didn't work because my sound card (or lack thereof?) didn't support it so it was just sounds, which meant I always played it with a bunch of neat indie midi music from my own collection.

So basically this, but instead of the music that's there imagine some really well-composed 90s midi

That's why you need the new Febreze Fade Defy plug-in, which uses a microchip to manage fragrance dispersal to keep it from dying out.

that music is silly as fuck

good lore though, glad it was speckled with your midi collection

I don't know why I committed to oversharing my life video games story but I'm gonna have to endeavor now, it's gonna be more parts than I thought for sure

Back
Top Bottom