• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST31 Apr. 2024| Famicafé Forever

Why is Wii U revisionism happening

I bought it, played a decent amount of games on it, and liked it. But the 15-19 year olds who grew up with claiming it's Nintendo's best console is the strangest rose-coloured glasses moment currently

it does rule though

the Switch is more supported and more amazing but like, ehh, it’s current. green grass

I have huge rose-colored Wii U glasses in my damn 30s, that weird-ass device second-hand brought me back to the world of consoles

in 2017, no less, post-Switch release

it does rule though

the Switch is more supported and more amazing but like, ehh, it’s current. green grass

I have huge rose-colored Wii U glasses in my damn 30s, that weird-ass device second-hand brought me back to the world of consoles

in 2017, no less, post-Switch release

I do like the Wii U don't get me wrong, some of its ideas with better execution would've made a fantastic console. It also some great games that don't get as much U recognition since they're all deluxe editions on Switch at this point. But I cannot believe the "man I wish Switch did ____ like Wii U" and said request is something clunky, esoteric and unappealing to the average consumer lol

I do like the Wii U don't get me wrong, some of its ideas with better execution would've made a fantastic console. It also some great games that don't get as much U recognition since they're all deluxe editions on Switch at this point. But I cannot believe the "man I wish Switch did ____ like Wii U" and said request is something clunky, esoteric and unappealing to the average consumer lol
what kinds of things are you seeing?

I may have had some of these moments

I’m still anti-theme and don’t care about eshop music (even though I appreciated that it was unhinged), but a lot of the Wii U’s tricks did sit well with me

what kinds of things are you seeing?

I may have had some of these moments

I’m still anti-theme and don’t care about eshop music (even though I appreciated that it was unhinged), but a lot of the Wii U’s tricks did sit well with me
Stuff like Wii U Video Chat, people not remembering how long the start-up was (especially at launch), I even saw someone claim the tablet controller was perfect which really made me laugh

I think it's very much steeped in nostalgia which is fair, I grew up with the Cube and lord knows I defend that thing a lot! But I can recognize and remember the problems which the current Wii U discourse seems to be "it only failed because Nintendo gave up on it for no reason".

I will say going back to playing it before the wi-fi shut down, it is still the best way to play Splatoon lol. That map screen is ideal!

I liked on Wii U you could buy Virtual Console games and they had individual button mapping per game. That was rad. They should do that again and honor old purchases…

Splatoon and Mario Maker never felt as good or controlled as well on Switch as on WiiU, so that's a point in the WiiU's favour.
WiiU also has Xenoblade X, which should make it an immediate champion in this scenario, but then Switch has... aaaaaall this other stuff so yeah

Yeah I guess we just called it "weed" if we we were using English slang
this got me thinking how some slang seem to have stuck and others haven't

Like, as a kid in health class I always got the distinct impression "weed" and "pot" were equally in vogue, but nowadays weed seems to be the one to use and calling it pot feels like it'd have big "plainclothes cop doing a horrible job blending in" energy

(I'm probably outing myself here as being tragically uncool)

Germany legalizes weed and now you've quit it?
HkBlg77.gif

Koei Tecmo revising down their forecast due to weak sales, you just know they’re fast tracking that Hyrule Warriors 3 pitch
Probably pitching all the Nintendo crossovers they can muster

I should play Part 2
You should! Part 1 is pretty much just prologue. All the juicy story is in Part 2.

Today is my birthday and it just couldn't wait
Happy birthday! You have survived another cycle around the sun!

I finished my Heavyarms Gundam. Put a lot of effort into it.

1.png
2.png
6.png
4.png
3.png
5.png

Attachments

• 7.png
    7.png
    379.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Indie World excites me a lot. I think this is finally it, gang...

time for What the Car!!

oh, you wanna know about the other thing? hmm... reply hazy, try again later

I have a shadowdrop during Indie World

(if you want me to post an extremely buggy walking-around-only demo of Grögol Bonanza tomorrow morning)

Why is Wii U revisionism happening

I bought it, played a decent amount of games on it, and liked it. But the 15-19 year olds who grew up with claiming it's Nintendo's best console is the strangest rose-coloured glasses moment currently
What about near-40 year olds who would play it after work claiming it was Nintendo's best console?
It's me, I'm talking about me

But I cannot believe the "man I wish Switch did ____ like Wii U" and said request is something clunky, esoteric and unappealing to the average consumer lol
I say this both as a long-time videogame fan and a long-time car fan and a long-time music fan and a long-time movie fan:

The average consumer sucks 😅

If I took the time I could come up with laundry lists of examples in every one of those hobbies where chasing mass market appeal has watered-down and boring-ified things that could've otherwise been creative and neat and weird. I wouldn't use mass market appeal as a metric for quality.

And there's unironically a ton of stuff the WiiU offered that I wish the Switch did. 😅 Splatoon's map is a fantastic example of something made for WiiU that worked great on WiiU, that then had to be turned into something awkward and uncomfortable on Switch. BotW was imo changed for the worse when they removed gamepad features from it in order to get it to work on Switch, and they even removed those features from the WiiU version so the gameplay would be identical on both. Xenoblade X had a whole resource management minigame going on the gamepad screen while you were playing the main game, which I haven't seen anyone else do outside of Superepic (and on that one you needed to use your phone instead). It was great! It was creative!

I even saw someone claim the tablet controller was perfect which really made me laugh
It's sincerely the single most comfortable controller I've ever used. The width made it so that it doesn't crank my wrists at weird angles, the symmetrical sticks were placed perfectly for my thumbs, it was lightweight for its size, the little shelf across the back made it just sorta sit on my fingers, it was genuinely fantastic. Only thing it needed was a better battery.
Edit: and a satin finish, you're right @VolcanicDynamo

Seriously I ditched Xbox for my WiiU. It's not nostalgia, I was telling people at the time that I preferred it to PS/XB. That thing was legitimately my favorite console since the Dreamcast.

Last edited:
See, I want to like my Wii U Gamepad more. It's comfy. It's got a great +Control Pad! The motion controls are solid, I got a lot of mileage with Off TV Play back in the day. The battery sucks, but the extended battery is...better? It's better.

But, uh. My left stick isn't working properly? It's not quite drift, the problem is that it doesn't fully process diagonals. It gets really stiff. I think the stick got dusty, but I'm afraid to take the whole thing apart to clean the dang thing. Doing the same thing with a Switch Pro Controller (which I have to do soon) seems a lot more approachable by contrast.

Also, that matte plastic is a fingerprint magnet, especially for the black model, and I am not a fan of that.

The Gamepad was definitely pretty cozy. I think if they spent a little more money making it feel like a premium product (as opposed to a $10 toy in the baby's section at Target) people would remember that controller much more fondly. Honestly, it was far more comfortable to play in bed for me than the Switch is. It just didn't always work!

only bad things about the gamepad were crusty screen, low battery and bad connection to the console in my experience... other than that it did off screen play, was a TV remote, enabled mario maker, second screen, game&wario and nintendo land... it's goated

I remember using the gamepad to play Assassin's Creed 3 in bed once. Wasn't the most comfortable experience.

only bad things about the gamepad were crusty screen, low battery and bad connection to the console in my experience... other than that it did off screen play, was a TV remote, enabled mario maker, second screen, game&wario and nintendo land... it's goated
Game and Wario?! Nintendo Land?! Goated?! I think I just broke a hip reading this message!

yeah Game & Wario is severely underrated. the multiplayer modes in particular are soooo great

i sadly haven't played Nintendo Land to this day! i literally have a copy that a friend got me as a gift but the disc is scratched and unreadable lol. it seems amazing though and I'd love if they revisit that concept again

Wii U OS: we don’t talk about this
people like it though

some genuinely do

granted of course we now have years of Switch to balance the perception against, but it’s a bubbly relic full of odd charm

fucked up little Mii town square coupled with bubbly icons that make you want to pop them? yeah, that’s effective

skeumorphism got gauche in years of stagnation, and I don’t want it to come back, but we’ve had enough flat future to merit a pendulum swing in perception

Back
Top Bottom