• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST31 Apr. 2024| Famicafé Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know either! I will tell you that every couple of weeks I check out the Steam page for the game to see how much everyone loves it. You crushed/are crushing it, friend!
Thank you!

It's really amazing to see all the positive feedback. I just wish I was better at marketing 😭

I've become a bit obsessive about making sure my game is completely bug free and I respond to everyone's requests/suggestions.

I don't know how to not obsess over it help
I don’t know if this helps or not, but here’s my take:

your game will never, ever, ever be bug-free

with that out of the way, we move to strategy

it’s important to solve the bugs that you can, especially the ones that make it hard for users to progress!

but you must have a method or you’ll lose yourself completely

as a solo dev, you could spend ten years or more trying to solve the things in the game you just released

if you don’t prioritize bugs and set limitations for yourself, you’re in trouble.

schedule different periods. ie say for the next three weeks you’re gathering a bug list. then, chose a handful of high-priority ones. take two weeks to try to solve them. then release a minor update with bug fixes.

keep an eye on which ones seem solvable and which ones are black holes — prioritize the ones you can solve fastest first. or, at least relative to how critical they are.

advice specific to you: new features —which you’re introducing quite a lot of! — introduce new bugs.

it’s important to choose a finish line. I think you said you had one in mind — but I would implore you to stick to it, and allow a pause after that to decide what you want to focus on most.

it’s also important to note that you’re working on a direct sequel — some improvements / bug fixes / exciting adjustments / etc etc etc might be found in the next phase!

if you plan to work on all fronts — more content, bug fixes, and a sequel — make sure you schedule them and interleave them so that you don’t get stuck in one spot. it doesn’t have to be precise, and don’t get caught in the weeds! but… I think it might help!

I wrote this over like a few hours at weird intervals, so if it’s incoherent… I apologize!

Sinking into Lego hell... but this is not about Lego. Not exactly at least.

I managed to get blocky Pikachus from two different block toy brands. Keeppley and Mega Construx.

Very different approaches to recreating the electric mouse. Mega is a lot more poseable while Keeppley is arguably more 'accurate'. Keeppley's QC isn't as good though as I have to scratch off a printing error off its face. You spot the error when you zoom into the photo I posted here. Keeppley as a Chinese brand has significantly more bang-for-bucks than Mega (and Lego in general), even though their selection isn't as extensive as what Mega has to offer. In my local context, I'm more likely to find Keeppley on the store shelves than Mega so I'm more likely to get Keeppley's version for Pokemon bricks. Not that I'm getting even more Pikachus. Two is more than enough. (I am eyeing Mega's Pichu though!)

9f6193b442034dee69cd93e7a1de82fa0b8badbf.jpg

Mischievous electric rodents ruining Bowser's Muscle Car. Mega to the right; Keeppley to the left.

I've also managed to get my hands on an old K'Nex Mario mini figure. Something about it is very familiar. Like I've actually bought it in the past myself before. Maybe if I dig into my old pile of toys, I might even find it somewhere in there. Anyway, it's closer to your traditional block minifigure than Lego's version of Mario. So despite spending a bit too much on it, I'm quite happy with this new acquisition.

I have to commend Lego's customer service too. The last time, I mentioned that my Lego Mario has stopped working. On my local Lego store's recommendation, I sent them a ticket asking if they have a repair service. They sent me totally new part instead. So new Lego Mario!

2b1cb3424f49f2ce1a542708e238f50bf449ece7.jpg

K'Nex Mario in the foreground; Lego Mario behind the mirror

The blocky Smash Bros is really coming together.

Last edited:
Thinking of the years my family spent trying to convince me that all the Japanese stuff I loved was satanic (I literally wasn't allowed to bring my Sega over when I stayed with my aunt because it had "evil spirits"), I wonder now how they'd react to this show I'm watching that's literally Japan VS Christianity 😏

Thinking of the years my family spent trying to convince me that all the Japanese stuff I loved was satanic (I literally wasn't allowed to bring my Sega over when I stayed with my aunt because it had "evil spirits"), I wonder now how they'd react to this show I'm watching that's literally Japan VS Christianity 😏

I keep thinking how the kids of our generation ... at least partially ... have it so much better than we did.

Sure, there's always shitbags, but i'd argue as parents we're much more open, understanding, progressive and supportive in many topics.

Though personally, i can't complain, my mother is a pretty open person and my maternal grandparents were like that too for most things.

sung like the SEGA chant

“SAAAAATANNNNNN!”

sung like the SEGA chant

“SAAAAATANNNNNN!”
obligatory:

while we’re all satanposting, I have another absurd but real anecdote

so. it’s 2010 or so. the last Scott Pilgrim book — the one I’m literally a background character in — is coming out.

there’s this release party / signing in Toronto. and I’m nowhere near TO at this point — but I’ve got a friend who’s going.

she threatens to get something signed for me and mail it, I threaten to enjoy it.

her letter shows up… and the chaotic thing she found nearby to get signed is a literal flyer for satanism

signed by Bryan Lee O’Malley and lovingly sent my way

the moral of the story is this: cherish your chaotic friends and acquaintances. send more weird-as-hell mail.

The thought just came to me, while thinking about the "Should Nintendo make a dudebro game?" thread, that I would really like if Nintendo made a (real time) strategy game like Anno, Age of Empires, Crusader Kings, Alien Nations (Die Völker in German and I don't know if this one is well known in the english speaking countries), etc. . Maybe with the next Nintendo console, more of those games will also be ported to it, which would be cool. But I also would really like to see a Nintendo approach to the genre.

Just saw future STs are already claimed up to and including September. Sweet!

I'd probably be down for another one sometime after that, but with Aurc having dibs on the month of Metroid, and Prime 4 totally releasing in October or November this year, I'm not sure I want to call it yet.

Edit: On second thought, put me down for the December one, @big lantern ghost. I've done it before, and I'll do it again.

Last edited:
Notably, this news comes just a few weeks after it was found that Roku is also toying with placing ads over HDMI inputs on your TV.
I know we had a thread for this over in The Roost, but to reiterate my comments there,

I wish whoever thought of this a very step on Lego forever.

I've told this story before but back on the original Nsider forum I had this random kid dm me saying I had to convince their parents to buy Sin and Punishment off the Wii VC because they wouldn't let him buy it because of the name. Why me? I was probably singing it's praises back then. Satanic Panic still goes strong. Weird ass shit. Hopefully they eventually got to play it.

I would really like if Nintendo made a (real time) strategy game like Anno, Age of Empires, Crusader Kings, Alien Nations
Pikmin is generally considered the Nintendo take on RTS, but I agree that it would be cool to see them try their hand at a game that's closer to the traditional idea of an RTS

signed by Bryan Lee O’Malley and lovingly sent my way
Dang, that threat paid off wonderfully

I keep thinking how the kids of our generation ... at least partially ... have it so much better than we did.

Sure, there's always shitbags, but i'd argue as parents we're much more open, understanding, progressive and supportive in many topics.

Though personally, i can't complain, my mother is a pretty open person and my maternal grandparents were like that too for most things.
Luckily my dad is very cool and chill and was understanding and helpful while I was growing up. His whole family, however, are basically every negative southern stereotype you can think of. And we didn't really understand until it got bad bad and then we looked back and went "oh yeah huh." 😅

Point is, for as much as I diss "my family," I'm really lucky for my dad specifically.

Naturally, only Satan themselves could envision something as cursed as the Sonic universe. It was right in front of us all along!
Be not afraid
PN3aKf2.png

Boy howdy, I sure am glad I'm excited for the TTYD HD release for its gameplay brought to the current year as opposed to counting frames in a JPRG or questioning localization choices that originally appealed to my 13 year old boy edgy* humour in 2004 as opposed to my 32 year old degenerate humour in 2024.

*About as edgy as someone could be who had to hide he was still playing Pokemon in high school and favourite comic book hero was Superman

Pikmin is generally considered the Nintendo take on RTS, but I agree that it would be cool to see them try their hand at a game that's closer to the traditional idea of an RTS
Does Odama count? I think Nintendo at least published that one and feels like what you'd probably get if you told Nintendo "you need to put out an RTS, but it can't be Pikmin"

Broke: Switch 2 confirmation on May 7

Woke: Nintendo Selects announcement on May 7 with the first wave launching alongside Paper Mario

Boy howdy, I sure am glad I'm excited for the TTYD HD release for its gameplay brought to the current year as opposed to counting frames in a JPRG or questioning localization choices that originally appealed to my 13 year old boy edgy* humour in 2004 as opposed to my 32 year old degenerate humour in 2024.

*About as edgy as someone could be who had to hide he was still playing Pokemon in high school and favourite comic book hero was Superman
Please get this reasonable perspective out of here.

We are the same age! Woohoo! Coober Friendz 4 life.

You’d think Nintendo be the satanic one what with Kirby and Animal Crossing and Pokemon and literally Devil World

True but there is no city building in Pikmin. I really like that part about Anno for example. Or even in Age of Empires I only play against easy bots so I can take my time building my city and army.

Does Odama count? I think Nintendo at least published that one and feels like what you'd probably get if you told Nintendo "you need to put out an RTS, but it can't be Pikmin"
I honestly wouldn't know, never played Odama

True but there is no city building in Pikmin
Figured you were looking for something like that. City building seems like it would be a snug fit for an Animal Crossing spinoff!

You’d think Nintendo be the satanic one what with Kirby and Animal Crossing and Pokemon and literally Devil World
Yeah but Satan-do just doesn't have the same kick

God, I really expected the awesome Odama to become a franchise, but instead it died 😭

So I just managed to access the ng update for fallout 4 despite getting it through the ps collection 😅
What PS+ tier are you subscribed to? Apparently if you have Extra or Premium the PS Collection version also upgrades, but not if you're on Essential. I still don't get it and I'm on Essential.

I guess at this point it's intentional, but I wish they'd been upfront about it. I would probably have just paid a fiver for the game when it was on sale, but the sale ended just before the current-gen version released. I can play it on Series S, so I'll probably do that, but would have preferred PS5 since I imagine it'll have better performance/graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom