• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST30 Mar. 2024| Famiboards Town-Square

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing Mario Tennis on the NSO over the weekend. At first I was like "meh, not arcady enough, where are my super powers?" but then I kinda got into the groove of it. There's something oddly charming about the gbc aesthetic to me.

Why is there only baby Mario though?

3hCpinQ.jpeg
Komm, süsser Soda

On one hand, i look forward to friday, on the other i don't.

There's Sailor Peach and Dragon's Dogma 2 releasing this friday. Kinda perfect, i can give the Switch to my daughter who's basically counting the days for Sailor Peach, and i could hunt wolves at night on the PS5.

Could.

Of course, i have my "birthday party" with our friends on friday, too. Which is kinda great, 'cause the more adult we get (or older) the harder it is for us all to meet up. There's work, family, children, other stuff you gotta do. (For real, sometimes just agreeing on a time and date for seeing a movie in the cinema feels like contract negotiations over multiple days.)
And the "party" is at one of my fav italian restaurants, so this means lots of gooooood food.

But you can guess, this means no play time for Bonejack on friday. ^^

Back when i was younger and also solo, we would just casually meet up, do shit, then i'd go home and pull an all-nighter playing games. Now there's a good chance we come home from the celebration and i pass out dead on the couch minutes after arriving home. ^^

I always enjoy getting completely random youtube recommendations, it's genuinely one of my favourite things about the algorithm. I just got suggested some random Japanese youtube channel with 20 subs who does covers of beatles songs in English.
You're the first person I've hear that appreciates the algorithm. It's been a bit of a mess for me. I can watch a dozen undersea exploration videos, then watch a random clip from a sitcom, then my feed becomes all clips from that sitcom.

I love the internet sometimes

But what do all these Christian metaphors means?!

Nothing. They mean nothing.

but what if you’ve never sinned
I believe that gets you a ticket on the Number Nine!

But what do all these Christian metaphors means?!

Nothing. They mean nothing.
if someone told me that evangelion was made entirely as a clapback to the kinds of white westerners who get kanji tattoos without knowing shit about what they mean… I’d believe it

Oh well, i enjoy those random moments. ^^ (But i'm also zero religious and couldn't care less about it)

It's the same when animes/manga use german words in a really funny combination or context. Super funny, i hope this will never stop. ^^

Do you watch Frieren, and if yes, how much do you snicker at everyone's names?

I don't watch/read that, but given i'm active on the interwebs, i sure know of it and have read up on the names.

And yes, i had to "ppppfffffft-laugh-Michael-Jordan" at quite a few of them.

If you want, ask me of some names and i translate them to english so that everyone can have a laugh.

Yikes, it's gotten so cold in here all of a sudden.

A couple I wanna hear: Ubel and Serie

Übel - sick / bad. "Mir ist übel" -> "I'm feeling sick", "Das ist übel" -> "This is bad"

Serie - series / sequence. "One Piece ist eine lange Serie" -> "One Piece is a shit-ass-long-running series", "Eine Serie von gleichen Autos" -> "A sequence of the same cars"

Serienmörder= serial killer
I'm sure there's some Frieren joke you can find here but I haven't seen or read it

LOLOLOL major Phoenix Wright final bad guy naming sense vibes

That's what I figured, it doesn't even really describe the character, it has to be a random dictionary pull

Oh oh oh what about Kraft

Strength / power. He-Man: "Bei der Macht von Greyskull, ich habe die Kraft" -> "By the power of Greyskull, i have the power"

That's actually a good example, where one word in english (power) has two different words describing the actual meaning in german.

And yeah, looking up the chars, most names are so hilariously picked by throwing darts on a board with random words.

that means power
Strength / power
Ah, that at least vaguely describes the character!

And yeah, looking up the chars, most names are so hilariously picked by throwing darts on a board with random words
Either that or they based the personality on the word. Like, Heiter can mean "drunk", right? And yeah that lad gets drunk as heck.

My anime name would be Müde.
I don't know what that word means but my mind instantly flashed to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Ah, that at least vaguely describes the character!

Either that or they based the personality on the word. Like, Heiter can mean "drunk", right? And yeah that lad gets drunk as heck.

I don't know what that word means but my mind instantly flashed to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Heiter is either jolly or "clear". Heiter can either describe someone's mood/personality, or in Germany is also used in weather forecast. "Heiter bis wolkig" -> "clear to cloudy".

My favourite was the demon they encountered in that one village pretending to be interested in a "peaceful solution". Why yes, I'm sure the guy literally called Liar has only the best intentions in mind.

Lol that's what his name means?!

Oh and excuse me:

Nintendo of America accidentally uploading the second Splatfest track instead of the actual Color Pulse remix they uploaded to the JP account? We get to hear the new hype song early?

Taking a page from Off the Hook here - WE ARE SO BACK!!!

Looks cool but I wish the original series was easily accessible to catch up on. I'm reading Fist Of The North Star right now but this might be my next project.
I get that the original series is boiling hot beehive. It’s popular, it’s extremely influential, and most importantly, it’s extremely good, but is… to put it plainly, a product of its time. The manga and anime, in order to be reproduced in any form for an international audience, would require heavy, expensive edits.

It makes a lot of sense that they’re starting with the 2011 manga restart, because by then Yudetamago I think had an understanding that maybe some of the character designs/concepts they had in the early 80’s would absolutely not fly today.

I get that the original series is boiling hot beehive. It’s popular, it’s extremely influential, and most importantly, it’s extremely good, but is… to put it plainly, a product of its time. The manga and anime, in order to be reproduced in any form for an international audience, would require heavy, expensive edits.

It makes a lot of sense that they’re starting with the 2011 manga restart, because by then Yudetamago I think had an understanding that maybe some of the character designs/concepts they had in the early 80’s would absolutely not fly today.
To be fair they figured that out a lot earlier, the scramble for the throne adaption cleaned up a bunch, and Ultimate muscle(and the Kinnikuman core games from that era) were completely cleaned up. Just the main series was on hiatus

Edit: also it’s the first bit of official western advertising for the show! An awesome sign!

So does this new anime fit into the 2011 continuity? I don't know how this works.

To be fair they figured that out a lot earlier, the scramble for the throne adaption cleaned up a bunch, and Ultimate muscle(and the Kinnikuman core games from that era) were completely cleaned up. Just the main series was on hiatus
Yeah, but Mekanos is talking about the original series, and I’m saying yeah, that’ll never be more accessible (especially in any official capacity) than it currently is.

If this anime pops off in terms of popularity (as I hope it does) I can see Viz maybe trying… something. A reprint of Ultimate Muscle would be great (despite its questionable canon status) but I can see them starting to publish main-series Kinnikuman in some way. Maybe like what they did for Golgo 13, where they translate (and heavily edit) a “greatest hits” type series?

So does this new anime fit into the 2011 continuity? I don't know how this works.
OK so there was the original manga series, which ran its course and ended. They did Nisei (Gen 2) which was about Kinnikuman’s son (this was Ultimate Muscle). Nisei had it’s run in the early 00’s. Then in 2011 they said “f this we’re going back to the OG” and just picked Kinnikuman (the first one) where they left off. That picking-up of where they left off is where the new anime is starting.

OK so there was the original manga series, which ran its course and ended. They did Nisei (Gen 2) which was about Kinnikuman’s son (this was Ultimate Muscle). Nisei had it’s run in the early 00’s. Then in 2011 they said “f this we’re going back to the OG” and just picked Kinnikuman (the first one) where they left off. That picking-up of where they left off is where the new anime is starting.
I see. I get that the original Kinnikuman has a lot of baggage, but it's still unclear to me where I could jump in as a newcomer, if anywhere. I don't get the impression this anime will be a fitting entry point but maybe I'm wrong.

I see. I get that the original Kinnikuman has a lot of baggage, but it's still unclear to me where I could jump in as a newcomer, if anywhere. I don't get the impression this anime will be a fitting entry point but maybe I'm wrong.
This arc is a big narrative break thanks to the gap so it’s not an awful place to start, it’s like starting Dragonball with Z. Alternatively there’s ways to find the manga, and while it’s messy it’s not that long.

05e45330-174e-40c0-aac1-fc747e382b2d.jpg
e7dac8b1-a4f6-4243-b740-6139c39015dd.jpg

That bag would also be futureproofing of sorts, for when the Switch 2 finally comes out.
yet another joke that's really mostly for @Raccoon, sorry 😅

You may be joking, but that's what I had to do when traveling recently to accomodate my Steam Deck and my Switch (amongst other devices).

Gonna need one of those giant duffel bags when Switch 2 arrives, perhaps :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom