• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm back from not watching The Game Awards. What did I miss?

Nothing? Gotcha. Just as expected, really.

The true best way to "watch" the Game Awards is to follow the Wario64 tweets and see people reacting to it on Twitter while you do something else, then see any of the reveals you want to after. That's how I saw the news, I got to see my Sonic trailers, and I get to move on without watching a boring awards show. My only comment on the awards themselves is, irrespective to the genuine merits of It Takes Two as a game (many people rightfully love it and I kinda wanna play it, but I don't think the story or the tone would be something I'd personally enjoy), it's kinda amusing to see one of TGA's biggest cheerleaders get the nod. I know Geoff doesn't pick the winners so I'm not crying foul or anything, but it's pretty perfect for the Fuck The Oscars guy to get the win.

Shrug, still think we could see a base NSO nes/Snes or genesis update this month. Time will tell
Well for announcement stuff we're still most likely getting an Indie World this month (probably next week), which'll probably be more entertaining and a lot shorter than this was

The Cuphead DLC segment was really well done. I wish most of the reveals could stand out that way.

But I guess it's not everybody's cup of tea. 🤷‍♂️

Some of you all need to understand that the VGAs are not a big priority for Nintendo. It hasn't been for a long time. It's well below the importance of a regular Nintendo Direct and certainly well below their E3 Directs. That's not to say we won't ever get too announcements but it's a matter of convenience for Nintendo. If they have something they want to show off in December, then sure, they'll put it in the show. But if they don't think they need to, they won't.

The VGAs are actually more important for third party companies who don't have anything like a Nintendo Direct, State of Play, or whatever Microsoft does. It's there chance to get their trailers shown to as many as possible. For Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony, they can get people's attentions whenever they want.

BotW made sense because the Legend of Zelda has a huge audience, a lot of it western, and had been in a slump. They needed to remind this target audience of what it could be, and show how it was making it different.

Smash makes sense because a. there’s crossover effect, usually featuring things featured at the Game Awards like literally Sephiroth and b. it has wide west appeal + “e-sportery” or whatever

if anything, we already know quite a few games for next year from Nintendo

like I don’t think I’d feel the need to show anything either if I were Nintendo

This was my first time watching the game awards

And I swear to god it will be the last
I can't imagine sitting through all 4 hours. I just leave it paused on YouTube while I do other things, then mash the right arrow key to speed through and catch up every so often. Don't have to listen to anybody talk, just get to thumb through all the (uninteresting) trailer ads and see if anything I care about got announced.

I'm just gonna say this: while I'm dissappointed that we didn't see anything Nintendo-relatd at the TGA's, there was one potentially interesting thing...

What I'm trying to say is, I really, really hope that Silent Hill namedrop from Guillermo del Toro right after being introduced by Kojima is an actual tease, and that Gematsu rumor from a couple months back about KojiPro making Silent Hills actually ends up being true lol

So how does It Takes Two winning GOTY discredit TGA when it's arguably the most inventive, well-designed game of the year?

There were way more instances to point to of TGA selling out or whatever than an excellent, original game winning emerging victorious tonight.

So just to recap...

For 2022 the confirmed Nintendo games are:

• Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Splatoon 3
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Mario + Rabbis 2 (ok technically Ubisoft)
  • Zelda BOTW2
  • Bayonetta 3 (technically Platinum but Nintendo published)

And aside from Splatoon 3 and maaaaaybe Legends Arceus we know next to nothing about these (& even Legends Arceus feels like it hasn't shown us everything because come on. Even for a Pokemon game that can't have been everything).

And yet they decided to talk about none of these?

Not to mention all the rumored unannounced games:

• Xenoblade 3
  • Metroid Prime Remake
  • Donkey Kong from Nintendo EPD

Those might not be real ofc (but for the first 2 i have every confidence that they are), but those aren't even announced yet either.

So what is going on here. Will Nintendo stack their Directs or are they just holding everything back for a possible Switch 2 or Pro thing in 2023? Even though they said the Switch's lifetime isn't over by a MILE so maybe a Pro or something.

That's not to say there was nothing for me at the awards. Looking forward to Forspoken now that is has a release date and I have always looked forward to Horizon. The new Sonic game looks promising (but need to see more, because that didn't look native Switch so either it was a render trailer or Switch is getting another cloud version... in which case for me, ps5 it is).

I think Nintendo wanted a Kirby Story trailer but Geoff rejected and went with the tamer Slitterhead trailer cause too dark/horror is too much to handled.

(Catching up on some reveals and this one was pretty interesting. Tho music kinda meh)

Every year I try to warn people it’s not worth watching this show. But do they listen? No 🤣

Every. Single. Year.
I'm right there with you; anything major that's Nintendo-related will be shown during one of their own presentations. There's no need to showcase something at a 3rd party event like TGAs where they will be drowned out.

So just to recap...

• Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda BOTW2

And aside from Splatoon 3 and maaaaaybe Legends Arceus we know next to nothing about these (& even Legends Arceus feels like it hasn't shown us everything because come on. Even for a Pokemon game that can't have been everything).

• Xenoblade 3
  • Metroid Prime Remake

Those might not be real ofc (but for the first 2 i have every confidence that they are), but those aren't even announced yet either.

So what is going on here. Will Nintendo stack their Directs or are they just holding everything back for a possible Switch 2 or Pro thing in 2023? Even though they said the Switch's lifetime isn't over by a MILE so maybe a Pro or something.

That's not to say there was nothing for me at the awards. Looking forward to Forspoken now that is has a release date and I have always looked forward to Horizon. The new Sonic game looks promising (but need to see more, because that didn't look native Switch so either it was a render trailer or Switch is getting another cloud version... in which case for me, ps5 it is).
Nintendo does these things called Directs, you see.

BotW made sense because the Legend of Zelda has a huge audience, a lot of it western, and had been in a slump. They needed to remind this target audience of what it could be, and show how it was making it different.

Smash makes sense because a. there’s crossover effect, usually featuring things featured at the Game Awards like literally Sephiroth and b. it has wide west appeal + “e-sportery” or whatever

if anything, we already know quite a few games for next year from Nintendo

like I don’t think I’d feel the need to show anything either if I were Nintendo

When Smash showed up, they had something releasing that month whether it's the game itself or DLC. When Zelda showed up in 2017, they had the final DLC release that day. Probably the biggest reveal Nintendo has had at TGA was Bayonetta 3 and I consider their bigger presence at that show different because they had BOTW and Mario Odyssey up for awards plus they wanted to end the Switch's launch year on the good note. Now that the Switch is a known quantity, Nintendo can managing all of the marketing through its own Directs. A big presence at TGA isn't necessary. A decent place to show a trailer when convenient but not much more.

LOL....Yeah I guess moving forward if you are primarily a Nintendo gamer, TGA is an easy skip.

good few weeks for frog predictions and expectations

Zelda or nothing (nothing) for Nintendo first party at Game Awards
RE Outrage is not on Switch, RE Switch probably doesn't exist
no Chrono Cross at Game Awards

Nintendo does these things called Directs, you see.

Quote from my post: "Will Nintendo stack their Directs"

Evidently, I know. I just think it's too much for the what 3 Directs they do a year including the e3 one?

But hey, thanks for the input i guess xD

I did find it surprising that Geoff wasn't able to get one really big debut. Mass Effect Returns. First glimpse of the next Xbox. Nothing of that caliber this year.

I did find it surprising that Geoff wasn't able to get one really big debut. Mass Effect Returns. First glimpse of the next Xbox. Nothing of that caliber this year.
Probably because there really isn’t much of that caliber in the industry pipeline that hasn’t already been announced. Outside of Dane software from Nintendo, it’s pretty safe to say we already know almost every major AAA game releasing in the next 2-3 years. In the big budget space, games take longer to make than ever and we’re getting less of them.

Also I just want to say, I know all of these corporations love money and will do whatever to get it, but I always find it so comical how open Square is to it. Between making games exclusive to platforms, to putting Cup Noodle directly into their game, calibrating with Grub Hub, you get the sense that you can offer a bag of money for all the souls of their employees kids and Square would take it and then post about on Twitter.

well, tbf, Sony didn’t show anything from his first party studios aside from Horizon FW trailer (that we already have gameplay, the game releases in less than 70 days). They could have put a new GoW Ragnarok or something cool to announced.

IMO, both Nintendo and Sony are in such position regarding sales and successful of their hardwares that they don’t really need to be part of these massive hardcore gaming events like TGA or even E3.

So just to recap...

• Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda BOTW2

• Xenoblade 3
  • Metroid Prime Remake

You could add Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak for Summer. Not sure if Capcom will give it a physical release though.

March is shaping up to be great month for me tbh:

• Triangle Strategy
  • .hack//G.U. Last Recode
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
  • Runa Factory 5

Looks good but it needs something bigger. Like an action game or something.

Hokay so

The singer working with Mitsuda said the PlayStation remaster (which has since been confirmed to be Chrono Cross) would be revealed around Christmas.

The crossover with Another Eden that just came out had buried code dataminers found saying the crossover was in celebration of the Cross remaster.

All the smoke points to this game being revealed like now.

So uh... are there any other gaming shows this month? Another State of Play?
they can just

literally announce it whenever

I think by now y’all should know that things don’t have to line up with a big show. the mass of the Game Awards, marketing-wise, is as much an “opportunity” as a hindrance

like some announcements hold but if you tack on to the Game Awards, you’re just part of that mass and the memes and listicles

doing it, say, a week later? then it’s about you

so depending on who you are, it can be a great call to avoid the Game Awards

So just to recap...

• Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda BOTW2

• Xenoblade 3
  • Metroid Prime Remake

Nintendo has rarely announced a brand new game at the TGA’s and the last time they announced something huge it it burned them (Bayo 3). They usually just give another look at something already announced.

Pokémon is handled by the Pokémon company. They do their own thing at their own pace.

Everything else on the list is coming out after the fiscal year. Why show them off now when there’s a direct in Feb or March where they have the spotlight all to themselves?

Like Nate and Grub said, December isn’t really ideal timing for Nintendo and a lot of other studios. The marketing cycle doesn’t really line up well. It’s too early for summer games and too late for holiday games.

I feel like an immediate fix for the TGA’s would be to make them take place in Feb. that way games released in Nov/Dec don’t get excluded (like Halo this year).

I feel like an immediate fix for the TGA’s would be to make them take place in Feb. that way games released in Nov/Dec don’t get excluded (like Halo this year).
Even though TGAs should be held in February, they probably never will be, because the sad reality is this event exists for corporations to advertise their products during the holiday shopping season. That’s the primary reason it’s held in early December. Geoff has had plenty of time to prove to the audience this show is something more than a giant marketing event and I’d argue he’s made it abundantly clear by this point that’s exactly what it is. The only reason I’m not completely against the show is because I’ll always be happy to see developers receiving any level of recognition for their hard work.

Last edited:
Nintendo has rarely announced a brand new game at the TGA’s and the last time they announced something huge it it burned them (Bayo 3). They usually just give another look at something already announced.

Pokémon is handled by the Pokémon company. They do their own thing at their own pace.

Everything else on the list is coming out after the fiscal year. Why show them off now when there’s a direct in Feb or March where they have the spotlight all to themselves?

Like Nate and Grub said, December isn’t really ideal timing for Nintendo and a lot of other studios. The marketing cycle doesn’t really line up well. It’s too early for summer games and too late for holiday games.

I mean the fact that it burned them wasn't the TGA's fault though (if you are referring to the long wait between announcement and new footage). They could have announced it at the next Feb Direct after that and had the same problem. That's on Nintendo, really.

They can have Directs with all eyes on them but those don't generate as many viewers as the game awards. So TGA are a better stage for games that have a wider appeal than just the core Nintendo audience (so BOTW2 for example).

Also, my bigger "concern" (if you wanna call it that it's more a line of thought) right now is if they put many big games in their 3 Directs next year then one might overshadow the other. So let's say they show more Bayonetta 3 and BOTW2 in one Direct. Everyone is gonna talk about BOTW2 only, it's gonna cannibalize Bayo 3.

On all the other accounts, you might be right.

So just to recap...

• Pokemon Legends Arceus
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda BOTW2

• Xenoblade 3
  • Metroid Prime Remake

That’s kind of why I think they have to stack the February direct with lots of first party games. Pokémon comes out in January so it’ll get its own thing then.

I agree with this post, but I don't think the bolded has anything to do with it. In my eyes, Nintendo wasn't really burned by the Bayo 3 reveal/hiatus, but even if one thinks they were, that was entirely unrelated to the fact that it was a TGA announcement.

My whole thing about watching TGA or E3 presentations or anything live, is that I love and I chase the feeling of having a reveal surprise me. I enjoy having the screen fade to black and something starts where I don't know what it is and then the "holy shit" moment when it turns out to be something. Like the BotW2 reveal years ago. Or Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2. Bayonetta 3. Fuckin DREAD. I know I could just go about my day/evening and check the news when it's over but it's not the same just seeing a twitter post of "oh hey this thing was announced."

But jesus. The only thing I'm happy about from TGA is the Sonic stuff they announced would be there, so no surprise. And the thing I thought would be surprise dropped is a no-show. I wasn't even looking forward to Nintendo stuff! I lowered my expectations that far and the show still didn't meet them.

I was considering going to see West Side Story tonight, tonight, but I opted to stay and wait for Chrono. I should've gone to the movie. Hell, a Spielberg musical would have been a better Hollywood experience than Geoff tried to put together here, for damn sure.

To be fair the normal NSO update got updated on the 14th for the past 2 years and that is Tuesday and after the n64 game releases so maybe we will see it there

Even though TGAs should be held in February, they probably never will be, because the sad reality is this event exists for corporations to advertise their products for the holiday shopping season. That’s the primary reason it’s held in early December.
Yup. That's something that always annoyed me about The Game Awards.

Deadline for eligibility at the Academy Awards (Oscars)? December 31st.
Deadline for eligibility at The Game Awards? Mid-November.

they can just

literally announce it whenever

I think by now y’all should know that things don’t have to line up with a big show. the mass of the Game Awards, marketing-wise, is as much an “opportunity” as a hindrance

like some announcements hold but if you tack on to the Game Awards, you’re just part of that mass and the memes and listicles

doing it, say, a week later? then it’s about you

so depending on who you are, it can be a great call to avoid the Game Awards
I hate it, but I totally get it. The crossover was announced in a tweet, the remaster can be, too. I think the only thing pointing to TGA specifically was the fact that dataminers found that code in the crossover that pointed to the remaster being revealed, and the crossover launches today. It lined up too well.

One good thing that came out of The Keighleys was I managed to convince my normally-video-game-averse partner to play It Takes Two with me 😁

That’s kind of why I think they have to stack the February direct with lots of first party games. Pokémon comes out in January so it’ll get its own thing then.
That's where I am at rn. If all of the games I mentioned are real then they can't all be games that happen in q3 and q4. I would peck Zelda, Bayo 3, Mario Rabbids and the Donkey Kong game as q3 and q4 games.

Maaaybe the Metroid Prime Remake.

But Splatoon 3 and Kirby are definitely q1 and q2, we know when Pokemon is out and Xenoblade with it being lengthy and all, could be a good second half game, but I think it isn't big enough of a franchise to make it against all of the other contenders for second half. Ofc that is assuming it can make the first half of the year development-wise.

But with things like that they need to elaborate on Kirby, some more on Splatoon 3, announce Xenoblade 3, make it more or less a full blowout, and then maybe also get into some more Mario + Rabbids as I expect that to drop somewhere around August if Ubisoft can make it in time.

At least that's how I would do it if I was Nintendo's marketing person. But then the Feb Direct will be stacked and from a marketing perspective, if I was in charge at Nintendo, that would worry me a little (plus this isn't even accounting for anything that isn't announced and hasn't leaked yet).

Also I completely forgot Triangle Strategy though I would argue we don't need to see more on that one (we even alrd saw the limited edition).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom