• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason why Breath of the Wild is topping these best game lists is because of recent bias. It only came out nearly checks notes 5 years ago. That's too soon. We have to wait another 20 years before we can accurately judge it. This only applies to BOTW by the way. It's completely valid to rank any newer titles highly.

Remember, since tomorrow is 2022 there is a non-zero chance BOTW2 is released when you wake up.

cry-laugh.gif

Well my plans for playing video games in bed all day evolved into laying in bed until about 11, alternating between sleeping and watching What Happun? on YouTube. But the day is still young!

Question I was thinking about recently: have there been any games released since BOTW which are legitimate GOAT contenders? And I don't mean games which you might personally prefer, I'm talking games for which you believe a significant number of people would claim is the greatest game of all time. For instance, RDR2 and GoW 2018 were both very well received, but I would be a little surprised if many people were to name them as their personal GOAT. The same is not true of BOTW.

The only games which I think might count are Hollow Knight and TLOU2. The former I think is probably too small - while it's certainly the GOAT for some, I have a feeling that the number of such people would be dwarfed by other common picks (such as BOTW). The latter is probably too divisive, and might not end up having the lasting impact that its predecessor did.

I've been thinking about Breath of the Wild 2 every day for the past 2.5 years. I doubt 2022 will change that, heh. ^^

Question I was thinking about recently: have there been any games released since BOTW which are legitimate GOAT contenders? And I don't mean games which you might personally prefer, I'm talking games for which you believe a significant number of people would claim is the greatest game of all time. For instance, RDR2 and GoW 2018 were both very well received, but I would be a little surprised if many people were to name them as their personal GOAT. The same is not true of BOTW.

The only games which I think might count are Hollow Knight and TLOU2. The former I think is probably too small - while it's certainly the GOAT for some, I have a feeling that the number of such people would be dwarfed by other common picks (such as BOTW). The latter is probably too divisive, and might not end up having the lasting impact that its predecessor did.

The only games that come to mind IMO are Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Last of Us Part 2. Personally I'm not that crazy about RDR 2 but some say otherwise.

i hope it isn't but i doubt they would write an article if they weren't sure (even if it's TMZ).
Yeah apparently they're usually the first to break celebrity deaths so I guess it's probably real. Very upsetting.

Hm, make bbq chicken and biscuit casserole tonight, or make it tomorrow and have a frozen pizza tonight….

Also we all complain about western live action anime remakes but Toei’s Philippines driven, live action remake Voltes V tv show looks pretty dang rad

Because it's the one closest to Sunshine in design.
I don't think my emotional response to this can be properly conveyed with a "Yeah!"

It's more like a "Yeah, I guess that's accurate but I don't want to give credit to Sunshine for that even though the game did lay the groundwork for Odyssey's brilliance!"

Because it's the one closest to Sunshine in design.
It's Sunshine if it had better world variety, actual polish, and a way to actually track its "Blue Coins", which go a long way to making it a lot better.

I won't go so far to say "Sunshine but good," but it feels like "Sunshine done right," even if in practice the two are quite different.

EDIT: To be more charitable to Sunshine, outside of some bad gimmick levels, I feel like a lot of its issues were due to a rushed development. Odyssey had a lot more time to cook and the hindsight of time, letting the devs refine a lot of those ideas.

Last edited:
I think this is the least bothered I've ever been about New Year. Probably a good thing - been pretty switched off the last couple of weeks to try and rest as much as possible, so I didn't even attempt to make any plans (and I don't want to help Omicron spread, either). Got a chunky book and some ale and cheese for later, though.

Alright, time to bring out the big guns

What is the best 3D Mario game and why is it Super Mario Odyssey?
because it feels the best to play and that's the number one thing that matters

fight us thread, fight us so that sus can go out in glory
The correct answer is Bowser's Fury because it evolves the concepts further, providing a wholly enjoyable blueprint for Mario going forward, and even including substantially meaningful co-op as an option. It's an ocean breeze.

I've played neither of these games, but I am entirely correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom