• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To my fellow Ontarian's:

Can't wait to peddle Microsoft products even harder than I have before after two doses! Those microchips haven't been as effective as I thought they were

my area got 5G coverage shortly after I got my second dose

coincidence? I think not

This booster gonna give me 6 G
Which vaccine do I need to take on order to activate myself as a wifi hotspot so I can play Splatoon on the go?

To my fellow Ontarian's:

on the one hand: sick hell yeah about fucking time

on the other hand: my immunocompromised partner who has been trying to get in for an advance booster for MONTHS will now likely have to wait because all the vaccine clinics will be full of people getting boosters, and they’re a) now deprioritized and b) still at extra risk if there are a lot of people at a clinic (hopefully they’ll be able to access a more private booster)

on the other other hand: HELL YEAH GIVE US THE JUICE

on the other other other hand: a lot of people are gonna falsely conflate boosters with stopping omicron when the reality is we need increased lockdown measures and support for individuals and small businesses if we want to actually stop something with an RT value of 4 (delta’s was 1.2)

what I’m really trying to say here is that I have four hands and I don’t like it

on the other hand: my immunocompromised partner who has been trying to get in for an advance booster for MONTHS will now likely have to wait because all the vaccine clinics will be full of people getting boosters, and they’re a) now deprioritized and b) still at extra risk if there are a lot of people at a clinic (hopefully they’ll be able to access a more private booster)

on the other other other hand: a lot of people are gonna falsely conflate boosters with stopping omicron when the reality is we need increased lockdown measures and support for individuals and small businesses if we want to actually stop something with an RT value of 4 (delta’s was 1.2)
That last point especially, infuriates me because I feel the people who bitch and moan the most about lockdowns actually had grievances with how little support the government was giving to small businesses and individuals, and yet they somehow got rolled up with the anti-vaxxers and science became (even more) politicized as a result.

I hope for the sake of you and your partner, some windfall of good fortune allows you to get your boosters relatively painfree and you don't get shafted so far down the waitlist when you've been a priority for so long

what I’m really trying to say here is that I have four hands and I don’t like it
...althought this does sound like a side effect of mixing Pfizer and Moderna, so you should probably have that fixed by taking AstraZeneca, gotta jab 'em all!

Listening to Ford earlier, he'll try and do everything he possibly can to NOT lockdown. I'd prefer if we could limit things without that, but who knows if that's even possible.

NFT versions of Pokemon.

Hire me Nintendo. Not only do I have plenty of more great money making ideas but I also have years of experience. I interned for 4 years at an evil laboratory before I had a successful run as a Scooby Doo villain. I can be a big asset to your company.

Gonna hide out till discussions of the BotW patents* dies down

*A genuinely ludicrous sentence

Unrelated, but Multiversus is starting to become of my most anticipated games next year.

Nintendo are literally leaving money on the table by not offering NFT skins for Smash fighters. Guess they don't like money.

Purchasable NFT weapons in Breath of the Wild 2. These weapons are breakable as well which makes them even more valuable!

Gonna hide out till discussions of the BotW patents* dies down

*A genuinely ludicrous sentence
Honestly this is one of those times where I'm just like, yeah, spoil me. They'll most definitely be shown in the game's "big reveal," so I couldn't really care less about seeing them beforehand.

Especially since only one of them wasn't already implied by the E3 2020 trailer.

So... you guys think there's any chance we get a January Direct next year instead of February? With all the games + rumored games Nintendo has to talk about for 2022, I feel like putting out the next Direct ASAP makes sense. Plus, if Xenoblade 3 is still supposed to come out in H1 2022, January reveal with June release is the absolute latest I could see happening without the marketing/hype cycle feeling too truncated.

Honestly this is one of those times where I'm just like, yeah, spoil me. They'll most definitely be shown in the game's "big reveal," so I couldn't really care less about seeing them beforehand.

Especially since only one of them wasn't already implied by the E3 2020 trailer.
Weren't both of them essentially partially shown in the E3 trailer?

I mean it sounds advanced but it really isn't exactly "new" information, just building hype on what was hinted at.

Why is it so hard for some people to assume that video games are inspired by each other and that's not a bad thing at all? I'm pretty sure BOTW has inspired a LOT of video games, like Ocarina Of Time has done in the past, but when the idea is brought up for BOTW, there's always the need to say that BOTW fans are self-centered, that BOTW invented grass blah blah blah.

Speaking of patents, at the same day the BotW stuff became public, a Mario Golf one was published too, dunno if this was already addressed XD

Probably about Super Rush but I didn't play it :p
It describes the gameplay feature of messing with opponents via shots or while the character is running to get to the ball

Link for the curious

Last edited:
Had to wait until after 10pm due to work to watch the Indie World presentation and I ready enjoyed it. Sea of Stars looks fan-bloody-tastic. Ditto Afterlove EP. It was also my first time seeing Chicory and Omori. Lots to look forward to in 2022.

I think we can safely say high profile indies like Silksong and Sports Story won't be making an appearance in these videos and I'm OK with that if it is giving a platform to the likes of Loco Motive and Endling. We know they are coming (well, we hope Sports Story is still coming and not stuck in development hell), so it is nice to see so many games that will find a perfect home on Switch.

I watched RGT85's reaction. I'm in complete disagreement with him. So I was happy for YouTube to recommend Zion from NL next. His take is refreshing:

I'm confused. Is Raccoon actually Samus Hunter?
This shocking revelation occurred about sixteen pages ago in this very thread. Horror subsided to disbelief, disbelief gave way to denial, and denial eventually caved in to acceptance. It was a wild ride.

Of course, if Raccoon hadn't slipped up, he could have sat back and seen everything said about him unfiltered. I'm not sure whether the confusion upon the revelation or the plentiful discussions that could have been had otherwise is preferable, but what we did get was intense.

Had to wait until after 10pm due to work to watch the Indie World presentation and I ready enjoyed it. Sea of Stars looks fan-bloody-tastic. Ditto Afterlove EP. It was also my first time seeing Chicory and Omori. Lots to look forward to in 2022.

I think we can safely say high profile indies like Silksong and Sports Story won't be making an appearance in these videos and I'm OK with that if it is giving a platform to the likes of Loco Motive and Endling. We know they are coming (well, we hope Sports Story is still coming and not stuck in development hell), so it is nice to see so many games that will find a perfect home on Switch.

I watched RGT85's reaction. I'm in complete disagreement with him. So I was happy for YouTube to recommend Zion from NL next. His take is refreshing:

I mean we got high profiles games like Axiom Verge 2 and Eastward last indie showcase. But it's likely games won't be shown again until they are either shadow dropping or getting release dates. In the case of Silksong and Sports Story, they have a chance of showing up (more so Sports Story) but if they are not ready to be shown, then they are not ready to be shown.

Also we got Sea of Stars and River City Girls 2, two big games from well-known indie devs so are these not considered high profile anymore?

So... you guys think there's any chance we get a January Direct next year instead of February? With all the games + rumored games Nintendo has to talk about for 2022, I feel like putting out the next Direct ASAP makes sense. Plus, if Xenoblade 3 is still supposed to come out in H1 2022, January reveal with June release is the absolute latest I could see happening without the marketing/hype cycle feeling too truncated.
I'm leaning towards February if only because there hasn't been a general Direct in January during the Switch era (unless you count the Switch presentation). I know relying on patterns and precedents is a big no-no when it comes to Nintendo speculation, but I feel like Nintendo's established a good rhythm with February directs in 2019 and 2021. Plus, I don't see them doing a big direct until after Legends Arceus is out, similar to how they waited until after Bowser's Fury this year. Plus, Nintendo marketing cycles have been very short during the pandemic, so February to June for Xenoblade wouldn't be too outlandish (assuming it even releases then, but that's a story for another day).

Okay gang, I've narrowed it down to two potential start dates for the Direct thread. I haven't actually cleared them with staff yet, but I figure I'll ask for clearance to start early only if you are interested in it. Technically we could get a Direct in early January, so I see the appeal of starting in December. Here are the two dates (drumroll please):

Monday, December 27, 2021 at 12:00 PM eastern

or...

Saturday, January 1, 2022 at 12:00 AM eastern

Below is a strawpoll to give your opinion on the matter. @Suswave, I hate to already be asking for help on this, but I would appreciate a threadmark.

We should put a poll on Famiboards and on Era about whether the next Direct will be in January or February. Then everyone vote for February. Since these communities have the staggering ability to always be wrong, that would guarantee a January Direct.

Wait? Its rumored for the first half of 2021? I don't believe that.

No way its being announced in Jan/Feb and coming out in 3-4 months. Not unless its not XB3 and its a smaller Xenoblade spin-off.

Wait? Its rumored for the first half of 2021? I don't believe that.

No way its being announced in Jan/Feb and coming out in 3-4 months. Not unless its not XB3 and its a smaller Xenoblade spin-off.

Someone, maybe Nate, I can't remember, said Xenoblade 3 was planned for this fiscal year. So until March. But I think they said that before the September Direct, so it's looking unlikely.

Someone, maybe Nate, I can't remember, said Xenoblade 3 was planned for this fiscal year. So until March. But I think they said that before the September Direct, so it's looking unlikely.
I can see a Jan/Feb direct announcement for the Fall, but nothing earlier. This isn't a warioware, clubhouse, or some Wii U port where you can announce it and release in 2-3-4 months.

As much as I wish to be wrong though XD

It's serious;y the first time I thought of the service at looking at it from that angle. Somehow the service makes more sense (for me personally at least) now. Haha, weird how that works. I maybe had gamepass for a year or something and it just felt like a waste. Like Playstation+ did to me. And Netflix, Disney+ and all other streaming stuff I ended.
The thing is, at least to me, the high number of games isn’t that big of a selling point per se. I have the same problem as many other forum-going people that I already have too many games without GP.

How I use the service is basically I get it for a month, let it lapse and then resubscribe a few months later. Thanks to the low barrier of entry I get to try some games that have been added in the meantime and can decide what I want to spend time on. As someone who loves to try many different genres it’s pretty nice, even if I only don’t finish all of them.

Okay, so strawpoll isn't working for me. Please let me know if you can see any votes at all. I can't even see mine
I can't see any votes. I think this happened the last time someone posted a strawpoll here, too.

I think Nate later said the game was delayed out of the FY (corroborating what Emily's said on it, I believe)

Edit: I vote for New Years for the return of Direct Speculation

so far I'm seeing january 1st which I mostly agree with

but if you guys start getting all direct antsy in the last week I swear

Why is it so hard for some people to assume that video games are inspired by each other and that's not a bad thing at all? I'm pretty sure BOTW has inspired a LOT of video games, like Ocarina Of Time has done in the past
I think I kinda 'get' it, I think it's an annoyance that generated a backlash

I think BotW comparisons are getting out of hand, like, imo BotW is more unique in its high-degree of freedom of exploration and experimentation without being a creation tool, than on its themes (though its themes are suspiciously trendy XD)

But I find some of the backlash kinda ignorant or in denial as devs from Immortals (friendly reminder that the Ubisoft management sucks btw), Genshin Impact, and even from Ghost of Tsushima already mentioned BotW as an influence themselves. Also there's some other titles that have mechanics that are definitely sus XD too many "coincidences"

Some of this stuff feels like borderline console war honestly, not that worth it

Last edited:
I could be misremembering, or perhaps missing some newer information, but I seem to recall statements saying it was planned for this year but that, in a case much like many other games, it got pushed further out, with nothing to indicate it would necessarily be early in the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom