• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST3 Dec. 2021| Topical Threes

When Should Raccoon’s New Nintendo Direct Speculation Thread Launch?

• Monday, Dec. 27 • 12pm EST

Votes: 43 20.0%
  • Saturday, Jan. 1 • 12am EST

Votes: 172 80.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an amazing idea. Surprised it hasn’t happened before.
Isn't it the same as just giving someone a £60 gift card? What happens if you can choose between a game that's £50 or £60 do you get £10 back?

That's why the voucher system can be dodgy if you're not careful. You can use it to claim games that are much cheaper than others and once it's used that's it.

I'm super close to getting that NSO expansion pak. Paper Mario calls my name.
Just having a hard time justifying paying that much for the one game :S

A videogame landscape made with a tiny budget and a miniscule development team over the span of only 5 years:

v_AJiIw20suD9otrBaHjM5rd6V0t5QRuFj-RAgwC26s.jpg

A real-life landscape made with an infinite budget and an unfathomably immense development team over the span of 4.5 billion+ years:

king_s_mill_park.jpg

Get your shit together real life your graphics suck :mad:

Unfair comparison. It's pretty impressive if you consider the first had 300 people working on it for 4 years while the latter was done by a single person in just four days.

oh... It looks good GOOD like really GOOD

no cap, I feel like the game lost its luster over the years. back when Platinum was still making it, people were cracking jokes that it's "Tales with a budget". then Platinum was booted but it still looked good

then Tales with a budget game out

I don't know if this changed significantly since, but this trailer feels pretty meh

Looks kinda like Tales of Arise and no UI is pretty weird, Probably just trailer stuff. But at least it looks like it’s finally coming out, some thought at one point it would just be cancelled. Tho I have no interest myself. How big is the Granblue franchise?

I know it had a fighting game but that seem to be quite niche. Mobile game still big?

Granblue still not an official release in the West right? It's weird that it didn't come out over here considering the entire game can be played in English. You can play but you need to download it through the Japanese website. I don't think they ever released the app on mobile stores.

I played some of it a few years ago. It was pretty fun. It kinda felt like if you took one of the DS/3DS Final Fantasy or Bravely Default games, stripped down the exploration elements and just focused on RPG battles, you would get Granblue. I actually also enjoyed the first season of the anime. It had a nice sense of adventure. Haven't watched the second season yet.

I would absolutely pour time into the Granblue mobile game if it was available on the app store here, but alas. I figure I’ll pick up Relink on sale, hopefully it works as a jumping on point.

New West Side Story is phenomenal, y'all. For my money, better, more mature, and more emotionally resonant and relevant than the 1961 version by a decent margin. Even Ans*l Elg*ort couldn't sink it for me, because the supporting cast and Spielberg's direction is so vital.

Still replaying the first one but I’m extremely excited for P2.

You’re in for a treat. My GOTY - just pipping Returnal to the post... maybe.

I’ve not played the original myself, but I should definitely check it out if it’s anything like P2.

Just Deathloop left for me this year, before I turn my attention to 2022.

Would you be disappointed if Xenoblade 3 go more in the Action-RPG area ? No more auto-attacks but light and heavy attacks instead, with skills like the Xenoblade 2.
I'd actually be fine with this. I think there are different things Xenoblade's battle system could do to make things more interactive, but this would be fine I think. I'd personally look towards what FFXIV does to make combat more active, though. I play melee DPS roles in that game (Ninja and Dragoon) and it's a ton of fun simply dodging AOEs and getting where you're supposed to be on the field. That's personally where I'd like to see Xenoblade go, too.

Would you be disappointed if Xenoblade 3 go more in the Action-RPG area ? No more auto-attacks but light and heavy attacks instead, with skills like the Xenoblade 2.
Probably. It's too far (for my liking) from the standard JRPG battle style as it is, moving even further away is not the direction I'd like to see it go.
Though I recognize I'm probably in the minority on this.

What are the chances of an Indie World happening for this upcoming week?
Do we normally get a winter indie world? I can’t recall what’s happened past years.

Edit: seems like there definitely is a precedent for December Indie worlds that fit in right about this upcoming week. Awesome! Maybe we’ll see some cool shadow drops (Ollie Ollie world realistically? Sports story and silksong please show yourselves)
I’d be open to it for sure. I’m always willing to give developers I like the benefit of the doubt in genre shifts like that.

I'd be the exact opposite of disappointed, I'd finally be able to play and enjoy one of these games.

I'd actually be fine with this. I think there are different things Xenoblade's battle system could do to make things more interactive, but this would be fine I think. I'd personally look towards what FFXIV does to make combat more active, though. I play melee DPS roles in that game (Ninja and Dragoon) and it's a ton of fun simply dodging AOEs and getting where you're supposed to be on the field. That's personally where I'd like to see Xenoblade go, too.
I agree with you 100%. The combat lacks interactivity and dodging AOEs would be a good step in the right direction.

I'd be the exact opposite of disappointed, I'd finally be able to play and enjoy one of these games.
I REALLY love Xenoblade games but yeah the combat system is what keeps the series from being in my JRPG pantheon.
I think that Xenoblade X was the best battle system and I'm not a big fan of the direction Xenoblade 2 took.

I think it would be a good evolution of the series' combat, honestly, and I'm a big fan of Xenoblade 2's (less so 1's). I don't think the auto-attacking adds much to the combat that can't be served with a more action based system

Well and here’s my collection(needed to resort my cases). Left is completed, bottom right is backlog, right 6 is current works in process, upper right is just constantly work on, pull out whenever stuff that lacks an end. (That 12 is going in my pow block. Gotta figure out how I’m sorting the rest in my big case but I’ll probably just do the finished stuff alphabetical and figure out on the rest. Plus my sis has a couple of my completed games(MK8, SMP and BOTW off the top of my head)

IMG_4351.jpg

oh that’s kinda sick actually

though for ultimate choice you could just give them an eShop gift card
That would be way better for a lot of people, yeah. Although I guess this is a good solution for parents of younger kids who want to give the kids a good sense of choice, while also being able to heavily curate which games they'd be able to buy? Obviously the parents could just only approve certain games on the e-shop if they got a card, but for some parents that I know I could see the appeal of something like this.

well damn

did not anticipate that at all

I love Shovel Knight, and the expansions are pretty good (except Showdown which I did not even remotely like) but I was not optimistic about anything else they were trying.

I’m somewhat looking forward to Dig but I was gonna pass on the whole puzzle sitch.

Maybe I won’t after seeing this…

Look at all those Switch cartridges, just begging to be licked.
Or did they stop covering them in poison?
look I’m gonna say it, they should put that coating on the gift cards too for the full Switch experience

One one hand, I feel that change would help broaden the appeal of the series instead of what is currently being used, but on the other hand, I really like this unique approach that Xenoblade games have compared to other JRPG's.

On the other other hand, if everything else stays consistent, I'm fine with the change.

Well and here’s my collection(needed to resort my cases). Left is completed, bottom right is backlog, right 6 is current works in process, upper right is just constantly work on, pull out whenever stuff that lacks an end. (That 12 is going in my pow block. Gotta figure out how I’m sorting the rest in my big case but I’ll probably just do the finished stuff alphabetical and figure out on the rest. Plus my sis has a couple of my completed games(MK8, SMP and BOTW off the top of my head)

IMG_4351.jpg
A lot of valuable games there. Besides Xenoblade 2, Fairy Tail is also quite expensive on Switch.

Has it been long enough since Metroid Dread came out that we can acknowledge Raven Beak is a very silly name for the end bad guy of the franchise to date?
I actually really dug it? Fun fact "Raven Beak" (well, bec de corbin) is a French term for a war hammer. Nasty bits of business.

IMG_4351.jpg

tfw you buy a Bandai Namco game and you know its entire production history is going to be printed on the cart

tfw you buy a Bandai Namco game and you know its entire production history is going to be printed on the cart
Super Robot Wars has a crazy amount of licensing, it’s why a western release was said to be impossible before 30 happened(ironically due to switch and PS4 imports). Dynamic productions is always on the label(Mazinger and Getter), but then outside of a handful of sunrise originals(which again just goes under sunrise) you’d be surprised how many of these are individually owned(and there’s quite a few that were originally Light Novels)

Oh, I didn't even know this was a thing. Lol

I have heard of the mobile gam because some people on my Twitter timeline are obsessed with it, but it takes more than a few acquaintances clamoring for it for me to try a gacha game of any kind. Aside from the Gacha mechanic itself, part of the fun if JRPGs is the exploration and world building and aside from Genshin Impact, most Gacha games completely omit that.

And I say that as a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 fan. But those gacha mechanics involved no real-world-money and weren't necessary for progress (sure, having more rare blades to choose from made the game easier, but not having all of them didn't make it unbeatable... it's just like Pokemon in that way) so it was fine by me.

But this... THIS looks interesting and I will keep it on my radar for next year. If it continues to look good and you don't need to have played the mobile game to understand what's happening then sure, count me in.

Weird that this will then be the first official release in the west. Like, many people won't even know the franchise and think this is the first game. Given the rep of gacha games, maybe that's better though.

The main reason I enjoy Xenoblade games is the exploration/world design and story (original Xenoblade) or characters (Xenoblade 2). So I am not that attached to the combat system,even though I have to admit it is a nice change from the usual JRPG standard systems. I also understand more people would play it if it had a different combat system, so if it helps the franchise, I am fine with pretty much everything if it is executed well.

The only exception would be an atb type battle system, there is nothing i hate motr than atb. And I don't mean the type that FF7 Remake uses, because that slows down the battle to almost a stop so you can make your choices with less pressure. Basically atb systems that pause the turn order meter whenever you're up and expected to make an input are fine. Those that keep the meter running, so you making decisions or even just moving the cursor cursor the right menu option (looking at you older ff) will translate to worse chances in battle, annoy me to no end. You want me to strategize on every turn I take? OK, keep it turn based. You want me to push buttons quickly and otherwise have me set up my party stats outside of battle? Fine, make it action-based then. But atb just feels like not wanting to commit to either combat system fully and it just uuurgh.

(Once I fell asleep while playing FFIX on my Switch cause I was tired but refusing to let my day end without any free time to myself. I lost the fight to sleep eventually, which led to me losing a random encounter because the enemy kept attacking while I was asleep. Lack of "save everywhere" or "try again" feature = I had to replay the whole dungeon. Ugh I hate atb...)

Sorry that went on a tangent there.

I'm finally home. Direct thread details are fast approaching.

You gave ne a heart attack I thought a direct was announced when I wasn't looking.... xD

Though then I am confused what you are talking about instead, I feel like I missed something anyways...?

I would be much more interested in Xenoblade 3 if they completely ditched the MMO combat system. I would also like if the visual presentation is more akin to X, but with 2/DE's character models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom