• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST28 January 2024| This Is Our Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bloody amazon japan charged me twice for apollo justice and shipped 2 copies of it. oh well, i'll just sell the 2nd copy and make my money back. Even better if
i make a little profit

@Raccoon I thought you were more of a train guy but still, hell yeah dude

C4ZxGWj.jpeg
shit man transit is transit I take what I can get

Bloody amazon japan charged me twice for apollo justice and shipped 2 copies of it. oh well, i'll just sell the 2nd copy and make my money back. Even better if
i make a little profit

Write them a mail with your OBJECTIONS!, would you?

;D

sigh that game just came up in conversation with friends and got the whole “but it’s fun!” defense and I’m just sitting here wondering what bizarro land I woke up in today :(

best part is I don’t even have to explain what game it was and this post still works

sigh that game just came up in conversation with friends and got the whole “but it’s fun!” defense and I’m just sitting here wondering what bizarro land I woke up in today

best part is I don’t even have to explain what game it was and this post still works
Being a kock-off and using assets from other companies doesn‘t neglate the fun of a game (if you not care about it).

Being a kock-off and using assets from other companies doesn‘t neglate the fun of a game (if you not care about it).
Absolutely right, but its more the handwave and aggressive dismissing of criticism from people I didn’t expect to see it from that feels worse.

Being able to turn a blind eye to things must be fun

Don't you think the game would be more fun if it was sufficiently transformative? Like, if instead of just aping the designs of creatures made by professionals they remixed them in a way that spoke to their specific sensibilities?

Imagine if Stardew Valley just copied Harvest Moon and left it at that. It may have been successful, sure, but would it have been nearly as good as it turned out to be? Would people still be playing that game nearly a decade later (it hasn't been a decade yet, has it?)?

Absolutely right, but its more the handwave and aggressive dismissing of criticism from people I didn’t expect to see it from that feels worse.

Being able to turn a blind eye to things must be fun
Agree. I actually haven‘t even played it myself.

Don't you think the game would be more fun if it was sufficiently transformative? Like, if instead of just aping the designs of creatures made by professionals they remixed them in a way that spoke to their specific sensibilities?

Imagine if Stardew Valley just copied Harvest Moon and left it at that. It may have been successful, sure, but would it have been nearly as good as it turned out to be? Would people still be playing that game nearly a decade later (it hasn't been a decade yet, has it?)?
Definitely.

Ok I didn’t mean to drag that discussion in here. Just the whole thing felt eerily similar to the earlier discussion around JKR and Universal.

Fuck I’m just gonna get off the net for a while and go outside or something.

Ok I didn’t mean to drag that discussion in here. Just the whole thing felt eerily similar to the earlier discussion around JKR and Universal.
I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been thinking about the similarities for days, actually

Sure, but it's not up to me to decide what someone else finds fun.

Anyone else noticed the game that just released on the eshop recently called Saga of the Moon Priestess? 2d Zelda like game where you play a priestess saving the prince. Normally is $5 but it has a slight sale. Besides the limited save points and enemies can attack diagonally while you can't pretty cool so far

I have no desire to yuck any yums
I, however, am a nasty little cretin who exists only to 𝔂𝓾𝓬𝓴 𝔂𝓾𝓶𝓼* and should therefore be smeared into road grease

*typing that felt disgusting. i don’t know how y’all live like this…

Certainly not! I find it personally objectionable, but there's not much I can do about it. I have no desire to yuck any yums, just a desire to get people to think about their yums a little.
I think about my yums all the time. I'm thinking about mac and cheese like right now in fact.

I was just about to comment something like "what on earth is a yum and what does it mean to yuck it" but yeah this tracks. Mmm... now I want mac n' cheese
hearing the phrase and feeling immediate revulsion is how I know I’m a boomer

I think about my yums all the time. I'm thinking about mac and cheese like right now in fact.
you should tell us all about it

I, however, am a nasty little cretin who exists only to 𝔂𝓾𝓬𝓴 𝔂𝓾𝓶𝓼* and should therefore be smeared into road grease

*typing that felt disgusting. i don’t know how y’all live like this…
This is the most unpleasant sounding post in this thread, and I only have myself to blame for bringing yucked yums into the equation.

This is the most unpleasant sounding post in this thread, and I only have myself to blame for bringing yucked yums into the equation.
hey I stand by everything else in the post

it was typing “yucked yums” that made me gag

If I wasn't certain of the Switch 2 releasing this year, I'd absolutely use the money I was saving for that on the Billy Joel/Rod Stewart concert they just announced for Cleveland.

I've seen some people online saying that most of the layoffs at Microsoft aren't actual developers but staff in other fields but that doesn't make things better. Admin, communications, marketing, etc. all play important roles at keeping companies going. These roles will probably be assigned to others who are probably getting more work with no additional pay. People need to appreciate those who work behind the scenes. For most of you who work office/white collar jobs, let's be real, you're all probably too dumb to do "simple" tasks that your admins do all the time. Me for example, I'm an engineer. The other engineers and myself spend all day doing calculations, design stuff, running simulations, etc. But ask us to print out several copies of a document and have it mailed out to their respective destinations, literally all too stupid to do it. Can't even do the printing part correctly. It comes out in the wrong size, text is cutoff, you actually sent the print job to a printer in another office without knowing and you're now wondering why your office printer isn't working. Our admin though, printed, bound, and mailed within 15 minutes.

So make sure you take the time to appreciate your "redundant or non-critical" coworkers because without them, you're probably fucked.

Holy shit this is a really good sale! Splatoon 3, Animal Crossing, Skyward Sword, and Mario Strikers are 30% off.

Oh dang, this one is gonna be hard to resist

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: $18
GTA III Trilogy: $40
Scott Pilgrim: $7
Red Dead: $45
Skyward Sword: $55
MGS Vol 1: $65 (ehhhh...any better now than at launch?)
Outer Wilds: $40
Trombone Champ: $10

Holy shit this is a really good sale! Splatoon 3, Animal Crossing, Skyward Sword, and Mario Strikers are 30% off.

Metal gear solid collection is on sale already. I can wait for a bigger drop tho. Same for Baten Kaitos which is now 30% off

Recently I responded to someone who assumed a lot of COVID Switches had been "put in the closet" in the last few years with info about how healthy software sales have remained. This got me thinking about better ways to present how strong even late Switch software sales have been, so here are a couple lists. As usual we don't have as much full data for older systems, but realistically those machines that topped out at 60m hardware or less weren't going to provide much competition.

Nintendo's top 10 software shipment years
1. NSW Year 6 (Through March 2022) - 235m
2. NSW Year 5 (Through March 2021) - 231m
3. NSW Year 7 (Through March 2023) - 214m
4. Wii Year 3 (Through March 2009) - 205m
5. DS Year 5 (Through March 2009) - 197m
6. Wii Year 4 (Through March 2010) - 192m
7. DS Year 4 (Through March 2008) - 186m
8. Wii Year 5 (Through March 2011) - 171m
9. NSW Year 4 (Through March 2020) - 169m
10. DS Year 6 (Through March 2010) - 152m

... Highest known that wasn't DS, Wii, or Switch...
16. GBA Year 5 (Through March 2005) - 85m

Nintendo's top 10 software shipment quarters
1. NSW Quarter 20 (Oct-Dec 2021) - 85m
2. Wii Quarter 17 (Oct-Dec 2010) - 85m
3. Wii Quarter 9 (Oct-Dec 2008) - 82m
4. Wii Quarter 13 (Oct-Dec 2009) - 80m
5. DS Quarter 17 (Oct-Dec 2008) - 79m
6. NSW Quarter 24 (Oct-Dec 2022) - 77m
7. NSW Quarter 16 (Oct-Dec 2020) - 76m
8. DS Quarter 13 (Oct-Dec 2007) - 71m
9. NSW Quarter 12 (Oct-Dec 2019) - 65m
10. NSW Quarter 21 (Jan-Mar 2022) - 56m

... Highest known that wasn't DS, Wii, or Switch...
45. 3DS Quarter 12 (Oct-Dec 2013) - 30m

But that isn't as meaningful here; with fuller information there's a very good chance NES, GB, SNES, GBA would have better quarters than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom