• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST25 October 2023| Have a Wonderful Famiversary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You got me there
It's one of the few levels where it's possible to build enough speed that you can actually outrun the screen to such a degree that Sonic goes further out than the level can load and automatically dies. It's outstanding.

is the punchline here Sonic 2 > Super Mario World Because that's a punchline I can get behind
I gotta be careful answering this because as much as I love the Genesis Sonics I'm not sure I can place them above Mario World and still sleep at night

That sounds like a hard-hitting allegory for technological progress. Hats off to our blue hedgehog friend.
Believe it or not, the Sonic story is based in part on being wary of technological progress in the form of industrialization. The creators said at one point that it was deliberately built to be a pro-environmental story which is why the villain is an inventor who creates machines and traps animals in them. It's also why the Genesis levels started out in grassy plains and then progressed into more industrialized areas, it was meant to associate "getting closer to the bad guy" with the loss of greenery and nature.

I gotta be careful answering this because as much as I love the Genesis Sonics I'm not sure I can place them above Mario World and still sleep at night
I can, and I will. Mario World isn't that good

I could never figure out the controls or how the flying was supposed to work. Granted, I played it on Wii so maybe it's better on SNES, but Dinosaurs just aren't that interesting a theme.

Weeeeell, the eldest and the Mrs. got Covid-19, tested positive on friday evening. Slight symptoms, but they feel ... pretty good actually.

The younger ones and me show no symptoms and have been tested (at home) negative 3 times now. Either we still have immune reaction active or were just lucky.

You know what this means? Bonejack's making some damn fine chicken soup this evening.

According to youtube the J in Jpop stands for Jackblack

7fuGrnM.jpg

Well, Jables and Cage definitely are wearing a lot of crazy funny costumes in their music videos. So i think that definitely fits!

Believe it or not, the Sonic story is based in part on being wary of technological progress in the form of industrialization. The creators said at one point that it was deliberately built to be a pro-environmental story which is why the villain is an inventor who creates machines and traps animals in them. It's also why the Genesis levels started out in grassy plains and then progressed into more industrialized areas, it was meant to associate "getting closer to the bad guy" with the loss of greenery and nature.
Very much riding alongside The Raccoons, Captain Planet, Ninja Turtles and a whole heap of other cartoons and video games rightfully worrying about environmentalism, toxic industrial waste etc. Not that we don’t still see it in kids media but it was a really strong late 80s/early 90s theme in them.

God I loved Captain Planet. Where villains would steal a truckload of oil barrels not to sell them, but to kill baby seals. They were truly committee to destroying nature lol.

I mean, one of them is literally a walking nuclear reactor without any safety measures that such a reactor normally has to not impact enviroment ... (directly)...

His very existence is a threat to nature. ^^

Talking about comically evil!

But i always dug his Hawaii-style shirts.

I mean, one of them is literally a walking nuclear reactor without any safety measures that such a reactor normally has to not impact enviroment ... (directly)...

His very existence is a threat to nature. ^^

Talking about comically evil!

But i always dug his Hawaii-style shirts.
Captain Planet villain names-

Argos Bleak
Betty Blight
Blight-5.
Captain Pollution
Doctor Blight
Don Porkaloin
Duke Nukem.
Verminous Scumm
Hoggish Greedly
Sly Sludge
Looten Plunder

So about as subtle as a brick with a radioactive symbol burnt onto it

Pretty odd for Serkan Toto to remind us all that Zool Remastered came out in 2023, but I guess he's allowed to do that if he wants.

Captain Planet villain names-

Argos Bleak
Betty Blight
Blight-5.
Captain Pollution
Doctor Blight
Don Porkaloin
Duke Nukem.
Verminous Scumm
Hoggish Greedly
Sly Sludge
Looten Plunder

So about as subtle as a brick with a radioactive symbol burnt onto it

You forgot Looten Plunder.

Loot and Plunder.

E: Ah you edited while i was typing!

For me it's Sonic 3K > SMB3 > Sonic 2 > SMW

Despite growing up on Mario and only really getting into Sonic as a teenager, I still think Sonic 3K is the best 2D platformer of all time even though Blue Sphere is godawful and while you can feel the Christmas rush for Sonic 2 towards the end, I think it's still more fun than SMW, which despite being my first ever video game I've felt is somewhat lacking as time goes on, even if it's still a great and classic game

However I think all four of those games >>>>>>>>>> Sonic CD and Sonic 1, so... y'know

Pokémon Crystal Legacy is already at least five times better than vanilla Crystal because Larvitar is available in Dark Cave before Faulkner. This little guy is going on the team for sure!

Pokémon Crystal Legacy is already at least five times better than vanilla Crystal because Larvitar is available in Dark Cave before Faulkner. This little guy is going on the team for sure!

Wait, that’s legitimately a huge deal. Whoever made Crystal Legacy gets it.

Yes, yessss, keep spreading the good word of Crystal Legacy.

FYI, every Gen 2 Pokémon is available in Johto, that means mons like Houndour, Murkrow and Sneasel can be caught before the E4.

Heh, maybe i spoke too soon earlier today. Mrs. called me to inform that our son has started to show symptoms too.

Poor kids ... they have autumn holidays this week and now two of them are sick...

Oh no, hope your family gets well soon

Thanks, very kind. ^^

But as i said, Mrs and the eldest actually feel pretty good, some sniffles, some light coughing, but that's about it.
They don't really "feel ill", especially compared to a cold or how Covid was last year.

Guess the shittiest part will be that, despite feeling well and symptons slowly going away, they will stay positive on tests for more than a week, pretty much locking them into the house. ^^

Thanks, very kind. ^^

But as i said, Mrs and the eldest actually feel pretty good, some sniffles, some light coughing, but that's about it.
They don't really "feel ill", especially compared to a cold or how Covid was last year.

Guess the shittiest part will be that, despite feeling well and symptons slowly going away, they will stay positive on tests for more than a week, pretty much locking them into the house. ^^
Good thing Mario party 3 just dropped on NSO

So I finally sat down and played Alan Wake 1 Remastered over the weekend. As much as I hate horror games, that was really good. Hell of a journey. I don't quite understand the ending though, but that is what searching the internet is for lol.

Global version of SINoALICE is shutting down in November, this is shutting down before it ever came out in English. Yoko Taro was creative director on both. Very cool that we're just losing access to this stuff forever.

Hilariously appropriate term, and yeeeeah good luck with that! I toast to you my hypothetical wineglass.

You bet that as long as i don't show symptoms and test negative, i'm nope-ing out of the house and to work. ;D

Global version of SINoALICE is shutting down in November, this is shutting down before it ever came out in English. Yoko Taro was creative director on both. Very cool that we're just losing access to this stuff forever.

I think that Gacha market and the GaaS one are pretty similar in being way too crowded, and where it's more likely you end up with a financial bomb than raking in the money like it was planned.

Makes me even more impressed that Nintendo and IS managed to have FE Heroes run for 7 years now.

You bet that as long as i don't show symptoms and test negative, i'm nope-ing out of the house and to work. ;D

I think that Gacha market and the GaaS one are pretty similar in being way too crowded, and where it's more likely you end up with a financial bomb than raking in the money like it was planned.

Makes me even more impressed that Nintendo and IS managed to have FE Heroes run for 7 years now.

The mobile market in general has always been a roll of the dice. It's impressive when studios can strike gold more than once. A lot of mobile games release and just never catch on, regardless of quality. That's why some companies like Square Enix just keep pumping games out in hopes that one of them catches on.

So I finally sat down and played Alan Wake 1 Remastered over the weekend. As much as I hate horror games, that was really good. Hell of a journey. I don't quite understand the ending though, but that is what searching the internet is for lol.
I was in the same boat. Thankfully I played it after playing Control so it made something approximating sense? I'm very excited to see where the sequel goes.

Since it's almost that time of year, I was thinking of making an ST for holiday deals, sales, etc. I think I made one last year or the year prior. It would be something very simple. Just basically a thread where people can post links to any sales they come across.

Since it's almost that time of year, I was thinking of making an ST for holiday deals, sales, etc. I think I made one last year or the year prior. It would be something very simple. Just basically a thread where people can post links to any sales they come across.
Cool, look forward to it.

I came across this article just now: Kotaku: 2023 Is The Best Year For Games In A While (And Maybe Ever?) and have to say I agree with them.
The past half year I often had to choose which games to play and which not to put to the side for now.
So many games that I like have been coming out this year and I still plan on playing them sometime in the coming months/year.
It feels like the opposite of years like 2020 which only had Animal Crossing and Paper Mario for me.
How do others feel about this? Does it feel like 2023 is crazy good game-wise compared to other years for you?

That would be super helpful and appreciated if you do it.

I came across this article just now: Kotaku: 2023 Is The Best Year For Games In A While (And Maybe Ever?) and have to say I agree with them.
The past half year I often had to choose which games to play and which not to put to the side for now.
So many games that I like have been coming out this year and I still plan on playing them sometime in the coming months/year.
It feels like the opposite of years like 2020 which only had Animal Crossing and Paper Mario for me.
How do others feel about this? Does it feel like 2023 is crazy good game-wise compared to other years for you?
Not sure about "best ever" because we've yet to see whether the games released this year stand the test of time vs. the ones that came out in 1998, 2004, 2007 etc. But it definitely feels like one of the better years across multiple genres and budget points and that's without me having played a significant portion of them. Off the cuff I'd say it's my favourite year since '17.

I wouldn't quite agree with Kotaku's suggestion that 2021 and 2022 were anemic, by any stretch; certainly not on Switch. 2021 had some excellent low and middle budget games (Dungeon Encounters and Metroid Dread as my faves) alongside the superb Monster Hunter Rise. 2022 had a fantastic set of exclusives on Switch.

But I do think 2023 has been a clear step above recent years, and that's without me yet getting to try excellent games like Baldur's Gate 3, Dave the Diver and Octopath Traveler 2 (starting this last one soon, I hope). It feels like the point that the new generation of Sony and Microsoft machines have really clicked into gear while the Switch enjoys probably the best late life period of any Nintendo system. Personal favourites right now are Tears of the Kingdom, Sea of Stars, A Space for the Unbound, Metroid Prime Remastered, XBC 3 Future Redeemed and Pikmin 4. Looking forward to playing Cocoon, Paranormasight and Octopath 2 before the end of the year while Starfield has finally clicked for me (though I don't see it making my personal GOTY list).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom