• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then I got XCX on Wii U a few years later and I dropped it shortly after entering the second area, it was just way too many systems on top of systems on top of an extremely obtuse and boring combat system (IMO of course).

It's a shame because I love the worlds.
XBX is weird because there's a ton of stuff you can do, but you don't have to do any of it. It can be outrageously overwhelming but I tend to just pick the job where you're supposed to go map out the world (which is what I tend to do in JRPGs anyway, fill out the map and see all the places), switch to the fancy sword class as soon as I can, and just blow through it. I don't know how many hundreds of hours I have sunk in it, I've explored every nook and cranny of Mira, and I haven't even tried most of the jobs and classes.

So many things about Xenoblade 2 were just begging me to quit in the first couple hours, honestly the only thing that got me through that slog was the fact that I knew I was playing a brand new exclusive JRPG on a brand new Nintendo console.

For the longest time I felt so dumb about the combat system until I really decided to crack down and learn it, and now it's my favorite combat system of all time and my favorite Switch game

So many things about Xenoblade 2 were just begging me to quit in the first couple hours, honestly the only thing that got me through that slog was the fact that I knew I was playing a brand new exclusive JRPG on a brand new Nintendo console.

For the longest time I felt so dumb about the combat system until I really decided to crack down and learn it, and now it's my favorite combat system of all time and my favorite Switch game
Yep. I wasn't so hot on the combat system either, but after a while, it started to click and now I adore it.

Which is why its important for people to start with 1 instead of 2 like I did. Ease them into how Xenoblade plays.

Gelato Beach

Red Coins in the Coral Reef

WHY THE FUCK DO THE COINS CLIP THROUGH THE GODDAMN CORAL

THE CORAL IS SET UP LIKE A MAZE. WHY DONT THE COINS TRAVEL THROUGH THE MAZE INSTEAD OF CLIPPING THROUGH THE GODDAMN ROCKS

This game fucking sucks I swear to god

Gelato Beach

THE CORAL IS SET UP LIKE A MAZE. WHY DONT THE COINS TRAVEL THROUGH THE MAZE INSTEAD OF CLIPPING THROUGH THE GODDAMN ROCKS

This one mainly annoyed me because why the hell are Sunshine's swimming controls so awful

The game is literally about water

Been a good bit since I replied in here. How’s it going? The SMTV reviews is making me want to pick it up.

I am also hyped for the switch version of Star Wars knights of the old republic. It’s one of my all time favorite games

I’m trying to be selective on my gaming purchases right now

Gelato Beach

welp

I dont think XC is a good introduction to XC2s combat system, actually torna is the best for that (early driver combos, easy blade combos and easier afinnitys charts so you can see the benefits of them.) So for me to any new XC2 player you should play torna first, actually the benefits are better than the negatives even with story spolier counted (It makes some characters betters if you play torna 1st). I think everyone that says that torna should be played last is not taking in cosideration how it can motivate to finish the base game at all becouse the worst of XC2 is the early game, but with torna combat tutorial and the already story involvement is more that enough to continue.

I can’t figure out how to play with friends and randoms at the same time in Mario party superstars, how do you do it? I saw people say it can be done

I go into the warp pipe after I invite friends but it only lets us do cpus

I dont think XC is a good introduction to XC2s combat system, actually torna is the best for that (early driver combos, easy blade combos and easier afinnitys charts so you can see the benefits of them.) So for me to any new XC2 player you should play torna first, actually the benefits are better than the negatives even with story spolier counted (It makes some characters betters if you play torna 1st). I think everyone that says that torna should be played last is not taking in cosideration how it can motivate to finish the base game at all becouse the worst of XC2 is the early game, but with torna combat tutorial and the already story involvement is more that enough to continue.
I would have mentioned this, but for story wise, I would highly advise against playing Torna first.

The first Xenoblade will give a basic understanding of how the combat in Xenoblade games without the annoyance of having plot details thrown to you at incorrect times. Torna improved on 2's combat system, definitely, but 1's is still a great introduction and will teach you just enough so you're not completely lost with 2's combat mechanics.

Take it from someone who played 2->Torna->1. You will wish you played the standard order.

the captain toad level in 3d world reminded me that nintendo really needs to make captain toad 2
You know, if Zelda is abandoning its classic 3D structure, Captain Toad could give it a spin one time. He's got a pack to carry all the items and traversal tools and whatsits, and he looks like he could fit the part.
Or he could raid some tombs. Nobody's doing that these days. Silly respect for the dead or something. Bunch of nonsense.

Well if I'm being honest SMT has the best combat system of any Jrpg I have played.

There's no exhilarating feeling like stacking up buffs and letting them loose on an enemy.

But then if you mess up the enemy can do that shit too lmao.

You know, I was enjoying the evening before.

211101-chris-pratt-tease_dsstw0.jpg

Actually now that I think about it, the fact that Nick Offerman isn't playing Garfield is a fucking travesty. Dare I say he'd be a better pick than Bill Murray was, even. Just solidifies the notion that people are stuffing Pratt into places he doesnt fit, where there are obviously superior casting choices, in order to capitalize on that sweet name recognition. Which is too damn bad. Honestly I loved Pratt's performance as Andy in Parks and Rec but goddamn he don't need to be in every fuckin thing.

That FFXIV launch trailer is pure kino. Too bad the game cannot be released on switch, that would be the only way for me to spend so much time playing it

That FFXIV launch trailer is pure kino. Too bad the game cannot be released on switch, that would be the only way for me to spend so much time playing it

I always get whiplash with FF XIV characters. Like they start with these beautiful CG trailers and then they have the gameplay trailers and then I remember "Oh yeah, this is an MMO". Not saying XIV looks bad. It's just really jarring when compared to the CG trailers.

I always get whiplash with FF XIV characters. Like they start with these beautiful CG trailers and then they have the gameplay trailers and then I remember "Oh yeah, this is an MMO". Not saying XIV looks bad. It's just really jarring when compared to the CG trailers.
I can totally understand, these CGs are absolutely gorgeous. This is why I am very excited about FFXVI, the visual quality and the emphasis on a solo experience will allow many more people to discover Creative Business Unit III, they are very talented people.

Well damn
have you just finished act 1?

Seeing Yoshi-P bow his head for an extended period of time while apologizing for a two week delay tells me I could never assimilate into Japanese business culture if I needed to. My projects are always late and I'm always "Welp, the data came in late. There were a lot of unfortunate issues. We need to examine this in more detail. What can you do? I'll get it to you soon".

So I decided to finally try SMT IV I had bought digital on sale a while ago, to see what this series is like and uhh I got a game over screen in the very first dungeon, during like the last "practice" quest.
But we have infinite saves so I guess it's kinda fine xD
Pretty cool move count increase/decrease system, looked pretty satisfying landing a critical or a weakness exploiting one then getting extra moves, also things go south pretty fast xD
Pretty interesting recruiting system too

A game over this early dunno may be a sign to lower the difficulty but I think it's kinda doable? I think I'll just stock some recovery items, save the game a lot and hope that the moves don't miss 🤞

Yall I just cheered up a talking cow by putting on a dance performance with a group of ex-street thugs waving brightly-colored sticks around. What is this game all of a sudden?
Edit:
UM... THE COW GAVE ME MILK FOR CHEERING HER UP AND I GAVE IT TO A TRAVELLING PRIEST AND NOW HE'S JOINED MY PARTY. 😳😳😳

Well if I'm being honest SMT has the best combat system of any Jrpg I have played.

There's no exhilarating feeling like stacking up buffs and letting them loose on an enemy.

But then if you mess up the enemy can do that shit too lmao.
My favorite JRPG battle system has to go to Bravely Default 2. Haven't finished it yet (at the start of chapter 5) but the core Brave/Default system coupled with the amount of options you have for character building makes it really fun to engage with. Especially since I'm playing on Hard mode which really forces you to use the system well (or exploit OP job combos which is fun in its own way). And like Press Turn, the enemy is fully capable of using the system to its advantage as well.

Honestly, (hot take alert) as a fan of turn-based systems I feel like Press Turn is a touch overrated. It's great, don't get me wrong, but it feels a bit too centralized on exploiting weaknesses. Granted, I've only played SMT IV, which I believe is considered the weakest iteration of the system, but the combat always felt pretty similar regardless of what I was facing or what team I had. Have two attackers to exploit weaknesses and get extra turns, use those extra turns to stack buffs/debuffs, rinse and repeat. The only real variation is what the weakness in question was and what the best buffs/debuffs I had available were. At least when I was playing through it there weren't as many fun exploits or combos to pull off. Then again, this could all be just me failing to utilize the system to its fullest.

Still definitely a fun system, and maybe SMT V will make me appreciate it more, but it's nowhere close to being my favorite JRPG combat system.

I feel like Bravely Default II had a reverse difficulty system. It's really brutal early on to the point where you'll be afraid to attack a boss because you'll get counter combo'ed into oblivion. It gets easier later on when you have more jobs at your disposal and then the difficulty picks back up near the very end.

I just had a turn in a battle where one cactus was put to sleep by the priest's long-winded sermon, another cactus was too shocked to move, and a member of the Beastly Boys sang a sea shanty while Sylvando laughed uncontrollably. That was the whole turn.
What the fuck

Did.... did I just unwittingly assemble an all-boys traveling theatre troupe??

I'm assuming this is the end of act 1, because lol yup, that's a hell of a slap in the face
Yeah I can't believe they actually went full FFVI. I kinda suspected something like this when I heard it was gonna get gnarly (and it seemed I was close to "winning" the game by reaching the Tree, so what else could have happened?) but I didn't think they'd actually go this close to the World of Ruin vibe.

i'm playing mario 3d world for the first time. good game tbqh
I love 3D World. I’m not sure if any game in the Mario series can be called “underrated,” but if there is one, it’s definitely that one for me.

The music is fantastic, there’s a fun variety of gameplay ideas that usually get pushed a little further each time they pop up but never feel overused, and getting to use classic-style power-ups with different characters was the kind of stuff I dreamed of when I was a kid.

(I’m actually playing through Bowser’s Fury right now, and having a lot of fun with that as well. Glad I decided to double dip on Switch!)

I love 3D World. I’m not sure if any game in the Mario series can be called “underrated,” but if there is one, it’s definitely that one for me.

The music is fantastic, there’s a fun variety of gameplay ideas that usually get pushed a little further each time they pop up but never feel overused, and getting to use classic-style power-ups with different characters was the kind of stuff I dreamed of when I was a kid.

(I’m actually playing through Bowser’s Fury right now, and having a lot of fun with that as well. Glad I decided to double dip on Switch!)
I think 3D World was underrated before it came to the Switch. It seemed like most of the opinions I saw pre-port was that it was only okay (I assume because it wasn't the type of 3D Mario people wanted), but then when we got the port on a console with a much larger audience (and Odyssey had now scratched that itch for people), the fresh eyes judged it much more favorably.

And Bowser's Fury rocks. I hope the assumptions were true that this was EAD experimenting with an idea for the next big Mario platformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom