• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently they managed to make Cynthia even harder in the remakes ?

Also, I forgot to mention, good luck with Cynthia ! I never struggled more against a Pokemon Champion, she's worse than the old one :)

Damn I didn't need another game to kick my ass, I am already playing SMTV !

Last edited:
You know, this talking of bombing Dodongos has me thinking... hey, wait a minute...

unknown.png

unknown.png

The pieces are all falling into place for 2022's true Zelda title; The Legend of Zelda: CDi Chronicles.

Lol (shameless plug time) it's not Zelda but I am developing a spiritual successor/sequel thing to the CD-i games. Can't guarantee a release date yet though...

this is the part where I remind everyone that the Switch supports USB mice

and this is the part where I bemoan that Super Mario Maker 2 didn't

You’ll get an update on a random Tuesday at 3 AM in 2025 adding mouse support.

Meanwhile still no new Mario Kart or DLC for 8DX.

How would you all feel if 2022's lineup was:
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Splatoon 3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Sequel to Casual game
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Bayonetta 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2
  • Metroid Prime HD Remaster
Would you be satisfied with 2022 if this was the lineup?
Why it would undoubtedly be an amazing year, and I’d likely buy each and every of those titles, no Donkey Kong game makes me sad. =(

this is the part where I remind everyone that the Switch supports USB mice

and this is the part where I bemoan that Super Mario Maker 2 didn't
*flashes back to "This is the final update to the Super Mario Maker 2 game!" and they DID NOT SAY THE WORD "MOUSE"

Super Mario Maker 2 with Keyboard + Mouse support would become game of the decade

I AM NOT EVEN REMOTELY JOKING

I believe that I have taken a substantial new step in understanding Pro v. Succ discourse and am requesting this thread's feedback.

I feel that, if the new hardware is as substantial as is rumored, next year will be a pivotal moment for Nintendo. If they do not position it as a successor, they functionally will not be able to create one at any point in the near future.

The rumored hardware represents: a new and highly marketable target resolution; an entirely new rendering pipeline with a massive and highly marketable new feature in DLSS; and, on the development side, the introduction of compatibility layers for software interoperability.

If that isn't the Switch 2, what will be? Nothing in the next 5 years could make that clear of a jump. The rumored hardware can only be reconciled as the start of a new period of technical iteration. For us to get a clearly delineated successor any time soon after a non-successor Dane, it would have to be unrecognizable as a Nintendo Switch in terms of its primary feature.

While the dissolution of the construct of generations as we understand them today is a potential outcome of the coming year, it does not preclude this conversation. Even if generations end up being unimportant to this device, this device is critically important to the concept of generations.

• Splatoon 3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Sequel to Casual game
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2
This would be excellent
I sure do buy a lot of games I don't like
Hell, I buy a lot of games I barely even play

I had about 16 ounces of crappy bottled supermarket cold brew this morning and I still am both nearly shitting myself and vibrating with anxiety

no doubt one of the worst mistakes of my life

• Splatoon 3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Sequel to Casual game
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2

Mostly satisfied, slightly disappointed with the lack of new IPs from Nintendo. My two favourite Switch years had Arms and RFA/Astral Chain, was hoping for another one of these.

Mostly satisfied, slightly disappointed with the lack of new IPs from Nintendo. My two favourite Switch years had Arms and RFA/Astral Chain, was hoping for another one of these.
This is a great point. The absence of any reference to EPD4 has me sweating, too. Somebody check if that crew ever made anything horse related

I believe that I have taken a substantial new step in understanding Pro v. Succ discourse and am requesting this thread's feedback.
It's all gonna come down to marketing, and frankly I think seeing how they're gonna message this thing might actually be the most fascinating thing about it to me because it's going to telegraph how Nintendo will approach new hardware for decades. I can see them using phrases like "the next generation of Nintendo Switch," indicating that this is 1) specifically a Nintendo Switch and 2) a substantial leap, not just an OLED-style optional upgrade. That said I'm fully expecting the first year or two, at least in terms of first party games, to be fully cross-generational in nature, which has the added bonus that they can explain to audiences what the benefits of the new unit are is going to be very easily by showing side-by-sides of the game running on both units.

I had about 16 ounces of crappy bottled supermarket cold brew this morning and I still am both nearly shitting myself and vibrating with anxiety

no doubt one of the worst mistakes of my life
I can have the same amount of coffee on different days and on one of them feel great and on the other basically feel like how you're describing, I honestly can't predict it

So apparently they managed to make Cynthia even harder in the remakes ?

Also, I forgot to mention, good luck with Cynthia ! I never struggled more against a Pokemon Champion, she's worse than the old one :)

Damn I didn't need another game to kick my ass, I am already playing SMTV !

Awesome news. Gen 4 was never hard, just irritating with HM's.

More challenge is always a good thing when added to Pokemon games

I'm not sure how you come to that ending conclusion, but in general I do agree that if they don't market this as a Switch 2 then we aren't getting a Switch 2 any time soon (or at all, as I've been saying for years).

It's all gonna come down to marketing, and frankly I think seeing how they're gonna message this thing might actually be the most fascinating thing about it to me because it's going to telegraph how Nintendo will approach new hardware for decades. I can see them using phrases like "the next generation of Nintendo Switch," indicating that this is 1) specifically a Nintendo Switch and 2) a substantial leap, not just an OLED-style optional upgrade. That said I'm fully expecting the first year or two, at least in terms of first party games, to be fully cross-generational in nature. That way they can explain to audiences what the benefits of the new unit are is going to be very easily by showing side-by-sides of the game running on both units.
Late to respond, but echoing Derachi's sentiments, marketing will be the biggest determining factor. I know it's been a point of discussion beaten to death, but Iwata-era Nintendo admired a lot of Apple's innovations and how they became ubiquitous in the tech space. I think the only marker of a successor will be the number they attach to it, but like many others have suggested in the past, it could be games made compatible with Switch and Switch 2, with games cross compatible with both (maybe beefier performance/exclusives with Switch 2), and when Switch 3 comes out, support for Switch 1 fades out and Switch 2 is the new de facto baseline to develop for. The concept of generations began to dissolve well before Switch, but now it's more apparent than ever that it's almost impossible to ignore.

DLSS so long as Nintendo maintains their partnership with Nvidea will probably be what keeps them visually comparable to the competition and the secret to their success with the core gamer demographic. Plus, this dissolution of generations gives them time to develop other gimmicks for multiple iterations much like iPhone does (Switch 2, Switch 2 Lite, Switch 2 QLED (/s, it fukken better have an OLED screen at launch), etc.), positioning their products for fans across the spectrum

time is a flat circle dot guy eff

The interesting thing about this to me is that Brownies were hiring for development of an RPG on PS4/Switch. If this is that it means the PS4 version has either been cancelled, or put on the backburner.

Plus, this dissolution of generations gives them time to develop other gimmicks for multiple iterations much like iPhone does (Switch 2, Switch 2 Lite, Switch 2 QLED (/s, it fukken better have an OLED screen at launch), etc.), positioning their products for fans across the spectrum
I agree with everything you said but I want to touch on this real fast

I feel like it'd be very un-Nintendo to have a new piece of hardware with zero immediately identifiable interaction difference. What I mean by that is, as you said, a "gimmick." I feel like 4K DLSS HDR etc are all gonna be big features but I wonder what seldom-used gimmick they'll add? Maybe a camera to the unit, or a microphone to the controller or something like that? And I wonder if the IR Camera sticks around, or if they phase that out for Switch 2 or maybe Switch 3?

But like, I'm not seeing any way to progress on the map. It's just a bunch of dead ends.
you’d be surprised how many things that looked like dead ends are no longer dead ends thanks to your dash

• Pokémon Legends: Arceus. Already preordered
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land. A guaranteed buy.
  • Splatoon 3. Maybe depends on the single player offering
  • Fire Emblem. Hell yes
  • Mario + Rabbids 2. Maybe. I liked the first one but Ubisoft...probably on a deep sale like the first one
  • Sequel to Casual game. No thanks
  • Triangle Strategy. Most likely no, demo didn't catch me and the name is just no. War of Salt and Iron was right there at least as a subtitle.
  • Bayonetta 3. Hell yes
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2. Hell yes but it better be good
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Hell yes
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2. No thanks
  • Metroid Prime HD. Hell yes
Solid year for me at least.

The interesting thing about this to me is that Brownies were hiring for development of an RPG on PS4/Switch. If this is that it means the PS4 version has either been cancelled, or put on the backburner.

No point in making this kind of game for PS4 anymore.

I'm not sure how you come to that ending conclusion, but in general I do agree that if they don't market this as a Switch 2 then we aren't getting a Switch 2 any time soon (or at all, as I've been saying for years).
I specifically meant the next device will determine the fate of the generational construct for the Nintendo Switch: basically, whether we get a Switch 2 at all.

Late to respond, but echoing Derachi's sentiments, marketing will be the biggest determining factor. I know it's been a point of discussion beaten to death, but Iwata-era Nintendo admired a lot of Apple's innovations and how they became ubiquitous in the tech space. I think the only marker of a successor will be the number they attach to it, but like many others have suggested in the past, it could be games made compatible with Switch and Switch 2, with games cross compatible with both (maybe beefier performance/exclusives with Switch 2), and when Switch 3 comes out, support for Switch 1 fades out and Switch 2 is the new de facto baseline to develop for. The concept of generations began to dissolve well before Switch, but now it's more apparent than ever that it's almost impossible to ignore.

DLSS so long as Nintendo maintains their partnership with Nvidea will probably be what keeps them visually comparable to the competition and the secret to their success with the core gamer demographic. Plus, this dissolution of generations gives them time to develop other gimmicks for multiple iterations much like iPhone does (Switch 2, Switch 2 Lite, Switch 2 QLED (/s, it fukken better have an OLED screen at launch), etc.), positioning their products for fans across the spectrum
The iterative approach is more viable than ever with the Nvidia partnership and the evergreen appeal of the Nintendo Switch (i.e. that its gimmick isn't a "gimmick").

I specifically meant the next device will determine the fate of the generational construct for the Nintendo Switch: basically, whether we get a Switch 2 at all.

The iterative approach is more viable than ever with the Nvidia partnership and the evergreen appeal of the Nintendo Switch (i.e. that its gimmick isn't a "gimmick").
Ah gotcha. Yeah, I agree with that

I could see them calling it Nintendo Switch Gen(eration) 2

They'd get to keep their brilliant logo/branding, just throw a "GEN 2" banner under the word "Switch"

Plus game boxes could include a lil "Gen 2 Optimized" or "Gen 2 Required" near the top left Switch logo

They'd get to keep their brilliant logo/branding, just throw a "GEN 2" banner under the word "Switch"

Plus game boxes could include a lil "Gen 2 Optimized" or "Gen 2 Required" near the top left Switch logo
That's actually perfect. It makes so much sense, so that's exactly why Nintendo will call it Switch U instead.

That's actually perfect. It makes so much sense, so that's exactly why Nintendo will call it Switch U instead.
It'll be U Switch not Switch U.

So the ad campaign will have two Japanese businessmen walk up to random people and yell, "You! Switch!" and hand then a U Switch.

I agree with everything you said but I want to touch on this real fast

I feel like it'd be very un-Nintendo to have a new piece of hardware with zero immediately identifiable interaction difference. What I mean by that is, as you said, a "gimmick." I feel like 4K DLSS HDR etc are all gonna be big features but I wonder what seldom-used gimmick they'll add? Maybe a camera to the unit, or a microphone to the controller or something like that? And I wonder if the IR Camera sticks around, or if they phase that out for Switch 2 or maybe Switch 3?
I couldn't agree more, but I guess that's where it's gonna need some secret sauce to stand out. They've axed microphones and cameras before as a cost saving measure, but I think the IR camera is saved not by Labo, but by it's necessity for Ring Fit Adventure for something as mundane as tracking your heartrate after sets. I'm not necessarily convinced it could be a hardware gimmick, because they wouldn't want to break compatibility with all those existing joycons out there in the wild, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with to differentiate it further from the standard Switch. After the Wii U, they have to know marketing is critical to its success no matter how straight forward it may appear from its predecessor.

Oh absolutely, I agree. I meant that the only hint of it being a successor in any capacity is in name alone (calling it a Switch 2). It will/should be iterative like iPhones are, but I think they're going to avoid qualitative descriptors if they're set on continuing down this iterative path (Super, Advance, SP, Micro, U, 3 hang on, New, etc.)

I just know there's a joke about Gen 3 becoming Gen E and then someone attaching a Forrest Gump gif shouting JENNAYY, but I'm not clever enough

Sort of like this

elr2.jpg

Though upon seeing my own work here, they won't use "Optimized" they'll say something like "Plays Best on Gen 2"

• Splatoon 3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Sequel to Casual game
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2
5ba.png

Maybe, but I don't think you'll hear anyone say that. The thing I would be most interested in hearing right now is those developers of smaller Japanese games opinion on the current state of the console market.

We already saw with NISA what happens when you criticize the "market leader" 🤭

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom