• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Pokemon the most critic-proof franchise of all time? It’s already #1 and #4 eShop (US) Best Seller.
On one hand, yeah, it's up there. But on the other, a 77 metacritic isn't bad. It's also pretty in-line with recent Pokemon releases, since Sw/Sh got an 80 and New Pokemon Snap got a 79. Hell, the Crown Tundra seems to be really well-liked and seen as an improvement on Sw/Sh and it only got a 75

BDSP is gonna sell 10m plus
Yep

Nintendo everytime a new pokemon is released:

gif.gif

Where is all this ultra negative backlash about BDSP coming from? It's not an amazing game or anything, it's conservative and old-school and is lacking some features. A fairly medium pokemon remake. Which... is pretty much what everyone I know was expecting for months now? This isn't big news, IMO, nor is the rather extreme reactions I'm seeing to it justified. It'll still hit well with the nostalgia for gen 4 crowd, since to me at least that was always its target group. And due to how big of a new departure Arceus is going to be, they ramped up the old-school nostalgia even more with BDSP to contrast.

It's totally fine to be disappointed that they didn't do enough with it and could have improved so many things they didn't, of course. But it's pretty much exactly what I expected it was going to be, and I'll still have fun with it at some point (when I finish SMTV first)

I was wondering when this was airing, look forward to it. I actually had another Lupin the 3rd tv special arrive in the mail today, Goodbye Partner. Haven't seen it yet, but look forward to watching it.

I've been watching part 2 and Fuma Conspiracy recently. I've become a big fan over the past year or so.

Wonder how long we have to wait to get info on part 6s dub.
You know, there’s one Lupin trivia fact that makes me sad, and that’s that Don Adams(Get Smart tv show) almost was the original dub voice for him back in 70/80’s but the deal to bring it over fell through. Would have been iconic. Sure we got Inspector Gadget made/created instead since the deal fell through, but what could have been.
so I just found out there's a lego Journey to the West-inspired cartoon. huh. Traveler's Tales game when?

It’s a Ninjago style project so there’s sets too, just super limited retail presence in the west

Alright, can't wait for the 2500th spin-off that won't come to Switch instead of an actual mainline game. Also, I doubt many people would enjoy this, but Reverse (Or the remake/remaster of the 1st game) is surprisingly fun. More fun than I imagined this series would be, gameplay wise.

hands you a business card

STINKER HORSEPERSON

PRIVATE EYE

"No case too small, no client too smelly"
ya gotta be careful in this line a work. ya learn too much, ya cross the wrong horsepeople, it’s concrete horseshoes for seabiscuit. ya gotta live like you’re two clops away from the big horse incinerator in the sky. it’s no stable life, no quiet neighborhoods, no white picket oxers. the line between hard-boiled and hot glue grows thinner by the hoofbeat.

Is Pokemon the most critic-proof franchise of all time? It’s already #1 and #4 eShop (US) Best Seller. EDIT: AND the bundle is #7.
Mario Party seems like a better pick. Superstars on Opencritic is the only game in the series that has an 8, lol. Go on Metacritic for the older games, and there's a bunch of 6s and 7s, with a few 5s.

Is Pokemon the most critic-proof franchise of all time? It’s already #1 and #4 eShop (US) Best Seller. EDIT: AND the bundle is #7.

The games had pretty much reached those placements prior to the reviews this morning.

But even if the reviews were to put a dent in the potential sales, this is still a new mainline Pokemon release in the Holiday shopping season, these titles were going to hit the top of the eshop charts easily.

Edit: Even Brilliant Diamond by itself is about to pass Mario Party Superstars on Amazon US in cumulative sales before release, and will probably outsell Metroid Dread and Pokemon Snap by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Where is all this ultra negative backlash about BDSP coming from? It's not an amazing game or anything, it's conservative and old-school and is lacking some features. A fairly medium pokemon remake. Which... is pretty much what everyone I know was expecting for months now? This isn't big news, IMO, nor is the rather extreme reactions I'm seeing to it justified. It'll still hit well with the nostalgia for gen 4 crowd, since to me at least that was always its target group. And due to how big of a new departure Arceus is going to be, they ramped up the old-school nostalgia even more with BDSP to contrast.

It's totally fine to be disappointed that they didn't do enough with it and could have improved so many things they didn't, of course. But it's pretty much exactly what I expected it was going to be, and I'll still have fun with it at some point (when I finish SMTV first)
Some people really like to overhype themselves even though they should know better. Like, we've known that the Battle Frontier was very likely not in the game months ahead of time due to the Sinnoh map being available, and yet some people are genuinely outraged when it turns out it isn't there. It's fine to be disappointed in its exclusion and not buy the game, but actually getting angry about it is a "you played yourself" moment.

I'll pick up BDSP eventually but probably when I can get it used for 10-15 dollars off. Based on leaks, there's some things about it I'm looking forward to and some things that are definitely disappointing, but overall I think I'll like it, even if Platinum will remain my preferred way to play through Sinnoh.

I'll wait and pick up BDSP when it hits $30 like Let's GO did. If it never hits that, oh well, I still got good old Platinum.

This does like pretty Funny. Wish it was reversed tho with 7 being at 1 so it’ll slightly more funny.

Anyways. Most importantly, nice selection of games for Nintendo at the top (on paper, not talking quality). Dread is also at 13 meaning it’s had a solid month and a half in the eshop.
0-C649602-2522-4-F17-ABCE-56-C7-E061-ACB5.jpg

This does like pretty Funny. Wish it was reversed tho with 7 being at 1 so it’ll slightly more funny.

Anyways. Most importantly, nice selection of games for Nintendo at the top (on paper, not talking quality). Dread is also at 13 meaning it’s had a solid month and a half in the eshop.
0-C649602-2522-4-F17-ABCE-56-C7-E061-ACB5.jpg
God, people are really thirsty for GTA despite all of the massive problems, lol.

Reviews won't impact negatively BD/SP because, beyond being still quite good at 77/78, they are not betraying people's expectations on the games.

People were buying it for a nice nostalgia/discovery trip in Sinnoh, with some added content and smoothen rough edges and they'll get exactly that.

wow, I hadn’t heard them at all before but now I suddenly feel like an absolute folksy woodland hermit they in comparison

I was also not prepared, lol

like I’m not a stranger to hyperpop or extremely chaotic music at all, but god damn
Right?! They had me listen to Give Great Thanks first... god damn

Regarding Pokémon, I think it's okay to just compare the whole critical reception vs. popular reception to how it works in cinema. The most watched movies of a given year are not the same as the critically perceived best movies of the year. We've been talking a bit about TGA vs. the Academy Awards here and how they're not at all alike, but sales/critical reception is a different matter. Just compare Oscars to box office numbers over the last 5 years.

2020: Nomadland ($39.4 million) vs. Bad Boys for Life ($426.5 million)
2019: Parasite ($259 million) vs. Avengers: Endgame ($2.798 billion)
2018: Green Book ($321.8 million) vs. Avengers: Infinity War ($2.048 billion)
2017: The Shape of Water ($195.3 million) vs. Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($1.333 billion)
2016: Moonlight ($65.3 million) vs. Captain America: Civil War ($1.153 billion)

As long as things aren't absolute utter shite, popularity doesn't not necessarily follow enthusiast-perceived quality or critical reception. I've watched all of the MCU and SW movies, and I’ll probably go see most or all of them until I stop enjoying them, but I'm never going to the cinema expecting them to win Oscars, Golden Globes or BAFTAs. They could maybe, possibly, sure, but that's unlikely and not what their creators are aiming for, either. It's pretty much the same with Pokémon. I never expect a new Pokémon to score a 95+ on MC or OC but they consistently score 75+ (which would equal between 3,5 and 4 stars) and I enjoy playing them. So I’m going to pick them up and play them, but I’m not e.g. playing The House in Fata Morgana or Tetris Effect or Forza 5 because they’re just not my thing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Alright, can't wait for the 2500th spin-off that won't come to Switch instead of an actual mainline game. Also, I doubt many people would enjoy this, but Reverse (Or the remake/remaster of the 1st game) is surprisingly fun. More fun than I imagined this series would be, gameplay wise.

Compile Heart is one of those companies that is going to hit a wall if they insist on sticking to PS only/first(they have been porting their games from over the last few years).

Honestly I cannot wait for last week's Japanese sales and see how much did SMT V sell at launch.

I wonder if we could get some data from other regions worldwide soon to get some idea about its global sales.

Regarding Pokémon, I think it's okay to just compare the whole critical reception vs. popular reception to how it works in cinema. The most watched movies of a given year are not the same as the critically perceived best movies of the year. We've been talking a bit about TGA vs. the Academy Awards here and how they're not at all alike, but sales/critical reception is a different matter. Just compare Oscars to box office numbers over the last 5 years.

2020: Nomadland ($39.4 million) vs. Bad Boys for Life ($426.5 million)
2019: Parasite ($259 million) vs. Avengers: Endgame ($2.798 billion)
2018: Green Book ($321.8 million) vs. Avengers: Infinity War ($2.048 billion)
2017: The Shape of Water ($195.3 million) vs. Star Wars: The Last Jedi ($1.333 billion)
2016: Moonlight ($65.3 million) vs. Captain America: Civil War ($1.153 billion)

As long as things aren't absolute utter shite, popularity doesn't not necessarily follow enthusiast-perceived quality or critical reception. I've watched all of the MCU and SW movies, and I’ll probably go see most or all of them until I stop enjoying them, but I'm never going to the cinema expecting them to win Oscars, Golden Globes or BAFTAs. They could maybe, possibly, sure, but that's unlikely and not what their creators are aiming for, either. It's pretty much the same with Pokémon. I never expect a new Pokémon to score a 95+ on MC or OC but they consistently score 75+ (which would equal between 3,5 and 4 stars) and I enjoy playing them. So I’m going to pick them up and play them, but I’m not e.g. playing The House in Fata Morgana or Tetris Effect or Forza 5 because they’re just not my thing. 🤷🏼‍♂️
This is a very important point and I think that this is partially explained by the fact that, over the years, many of the top-rated videogames tend to be commercially big games. A certain amount of value and prestige has always been placed on The Next Big Thing in videogames in a way that isn't quite the case in the film industry, where the top-rated films from critics, or the Oscar picks, aren't going to be the top-grossing films (most of the time - but not all the time).

Perhaps this leads to a sort of inverse assumption; that, in order to reach a particular level of popularity, a game has to meet a minimum quality threshold, because we've had a long period whereby 'big' and 'blockbuster' has sort of been synonymous with 'best'. Of course, I'm generalising, but I feel that's been a part of gaming discourse for a while. Even though gaming is more diverse, it's often the case that awards ceremonies remain dominated by big-budget games from big-budget companies. It was excellent last year to see something like Hades break through and get more acclaim in awards season (even if it remains a fairly traditional game from some perspectives).

ya gotta be careful in this line a work. ya learn too much, ya cross the wrong horsepeople, it’s concrete horseshoes for seabiscuit. ya gotta live like you’re two clops away from the big horse incinerator in the sky. it’s no stable life, no quiet neighborhoods, no white picket oxers. the line between hard-boiled and hot glue grows thinner by the hoofbeat.
I'm always asleep for the good horse pun posts.

Are y'all ready for Sonic Frontiers to look like a mess on switch despite the main audience being on it
Absolutely, yeah;
The Switch sales ratio will still be several times bigger than any other platform despite of how little SEGA will care to optimize the game for the console.

and that it's the base level expectation regardless of their ambitions with the game, open world or not.

at this point, Hino should be begging The Pokemon Company to reskin Yokai Watch 4 into a pokemon game. I'm actually surprised at Megaton Musashi's poor performance

Alright @Derachi and @Suswave, this is what I did this evening instead of playing video games. I hope yall're goddamn proud of yourselves.

etHRhjd.jpg
wow, we finally know what the miracle game is!!

thank you for your beautiful work

I’m thrilled that Arzest was able to adapt the gritty Stinker Horseperson detective novels of yesteryear into something appealing to today’s modern youth: a wacky, skinny, white horseboy lead straight out of horse 2007 facing bizarre apocalyptic horse stakes and mass destruction

just like the BBC / Netflix Dirk Gently

which unfortunately I actually loved, please forgive

At this point, I don't see Level-5 surviving without either merging with or getting acquired by some other more successful company.

I don’t really know much about Level 5 but here’s what I do know:

They make incredible IPs

They squander each and every one of them basically immediately upon one iota of success

Anything else I should know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom