• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Rocket: Robot on Wheels (by Sucker Punch) is now out of reach for a re-release on NSO; Sony retroactively should be the copyright owner of that game now that they own Sucker Punch.
Actually no, SP doesn't own the Rocket IP. Someone actually asked about it during an interview (Polygon? I don't remember) and they said, we don't own it. It's Ubisoft's IP, I believe. SP pitched the game to them to get funding.

Reposting because I'll be damned if this gets left at the bottom of page 119.
~~~
(Re: ) RE: Japanese City Pop

So, many years ago a friend introduced me to Sparkle.

Originally recorded by Japanese Funk Artist Tatsuro Yamashita in 1982

It was then covered in English by a Hawaiian jazz group called Greenwood in 1985 (who with a minor resurgence of popularity for this song finally convinced them to release their debut album featuring this song some nearly twenty years later)

And I learned as of 20 minutes ago that this song has an homage in ACNH, under the K.K. Slider secret song called 'Hazure02' that you won't get a bootleg of and make a typo in requesting a song. It definitely has influences, along with some other Japanese city pop songs according to the comments section of this video

I mean, here are MY personal "Content Creators of the Year":

@NateDrake and MVG

Their podcast is a drop-everything-and-listen thing for me. Genuinely two of the smartest, most charismatic guys talking very intelligently about the industry. It has actually kinda ruined other podcasts for me. If I listen to another podcast and they get something that they SHOULD know wrong, nowadays I just shut them off. I don't have time for people who can't be bothered to look stuff up, or be well informed. Nate and MVG know what they're talking about. Unlike other podcasts which are ostensibly audio junk food, NateTheHate makes me feel smarter by listening to it.

This is to say nothing of MVG’s YT channel, which is incredible in its own right!

My runner up for Content Creator of the year is Tim Rogers. Oops I've watched his 6 hour Tokimeki Memorial review (which is my favourite piece of games criticism of all time) like 8 times this year, and I'm on my 2nd watch-through of his Cyberpunk video (which isn't as good but I think it's because Cyberpunk is WAY less interesting of a game than TokiMemo). His videos are good! I recommend them if you like long-form game criticism.

Last edited:
Actually no, SP doesn't own the Rocket IP. Someone actually asked about it during an interview (Polygon? I don't remember) and they said, we don't own it. It's Ubisoft's IP, I believe. SP pitched the game to them to get funding.
Oh, that's surprisingly! Especially because of this artwork they posted in 2019

I mean, here are MY personal "Content Creators of the Year":

@NateDrake and MVG

Their podcast is a drop-everything-and-listen thing for me. Genuinely two of the smartest, most charismatic guys talking very intelligently about the industry. It has actually kinda ruined other podcasts for me. If I listen to another podcast and they get something that they SHOULD know wrong, nowadays I just shut them off. I don't have time for people who can't be bothered to look stuff up, or be well informed. Nate and MVG know what they're talking about. Unlike other podcasts which are ostensibly audio junk food, NateTheHate makes me feel smarter by listening to it.
Absolutely. The only two podcasts I listen to are the one by Nate and MVG, and the one by Billy Boyd and Dom Monaghan. Both are do-nothing-but-listen events.

I would've voted for a non joke answer in the poll if there was anything about a best OST snub. Like, any game. Preferably BD2.

Reposting because I'll be damned if this gets left at the bottom of page 119.
~~~
(Re: ) RE: Japanese City Pop

So, many years ago a friend introduced me to Sparkle.

Originally recorded by Japanese Funk Artist Tatsuro Yamashita in 1982

It was then covered in English by a Hawaiian jazz group called Greenwood in 1985 (who with a minor resurgence of popularity for this song finally convinced them to release their debut album featuring this song some nearly twenty years later)

And I learned as of 20 minutes ago that this song has an homage in ACNH, under the K.K. Slider secret song called 'Hazure02' that you won't get a bootleg of and make a typo in requesting a song. It definitely has influences, along with some other Japanese city pop songs according to the comments section of this video

I am going to fall down the rabbit hole of city pop aren’t I? This style definitely is in my wheelhouse.

The flaw with 'Content Creator of the Year' is that they are recognizing creators with millions of followers. Why not showcase up & coming content creators that don't have a following north of 1m? All they are doing is rewarding those that are already at the peak of the 'Content Creator' mountain. Give those climbing the mountain some attention. Not those that are already at the top.

It's also flawed when creators like Digital Foundry, as an example, are not nominated. What does one have to create to be nominated?

I personally wish they would get rid of the "Content Creator of the Year" award altogether.

Because it's just a popularity contest. It's not actually about the substance/quality of that creator's video content. The people voting for the nominees don't even keep up with most of the content creators on YouTube.

I remember when the award was called "Trending Gamer" and Boogie2988 won it.

Digital Foundry deserves some sort of award for consistently producing the highest quality, well regarded gaming videos on the planet. They cover the entire spectrum of gaming and half of the positive changes in the industry with regards to technical focus wouldn't have happened without them.

But as others have said, the TGAs are a popularity contest for best marketed product and nothing more. An unfortunately cynical but correct take.

Last edited:
I wonder if Rocket: Robot on Wheels (by Sucker Punch) is now out of reach for a re-release on NSO; Sony retroactively should be the copyright owner of that game now that they own Sucker Punch.
Rocket is exactly the kind of game I want on the N64 NSO. The console's library is so small that they honestly should be able to get as many cult classics as possible on it. Would be really happy to see games like that, Mischief Makers, Goemon, etc.

Digital Foundry deserves some sort of award for consistently producing the highest quality, well regarded gaming videos on the planet. They cover the entire spectrum of gaming and half of the positive changes in the industry with regards to technical focus wouldn't have happened without them.

Digital Foundry's video content is both educational and entertaining. There's more value in a single Digital Foundry video than most gaming YouTube channels. (I'll refrain from mentioning names...).

Apparently Ubisoft owns it, they funded it supposedly for the ip rights back in the day

But as others have said, the TGAs are a popularity contest for best marketed product and nothing more. An unfortunately cynical bit correct take.
Completely agreed, I love Digital Foundry. They explain technical stuff in such an approachable and interesting way and are almost always admirably objective without coming across as dull or robotic. Plus, their analysis of the tech side of games really tickles my autistic love of learning about how things work :giggle:

Perhaps...

In all seriousness, people still seem to expect Nintendo will use Game Awards as a platform for major first party showcases and announcements; Each year sees bevy of posts expecting BotW2 or MP4 trailers.

Does Nintendo really see this as the place for their own big reveals?

I get the feeling that unless they’re expecting to win GotY and want to follow up while eyes are on them, they much prefer leave things to their own Directs…

In all seriousness, people still seem to expect Nintendo will use Game Awards as a platform for major first party showcases and announcements; Each year sees bevy of posts expecting BotW2 or MP4 trailers.

I get the feeling that unless they’re expecting to win GotY and want to follow up while eyes are on them, they much prefer leave things to their own Directs…

They have made first party revelations at TGA in the past

I'm aware that they used it for a Breath of the Wild content, but that was 2015(?)-2016. The years since have seen Bayonetta teaser, and then some third party offerings. It just doesn't feel like a major spot for them anymore. Perhaps I'm forgetting other showings

Rocket is exactly the kind of game I want on the N64 NSO. The console's library is so small that they honestly should be able to get as many cult classics as possible on it. Would be really happy to see games like that, Mischief Makers, Goemon, etc.
Absolutely, yeah! If Ubisoft is really the copyright holder, I guess things just got a bit more simpler... but somehow, I'm still skeptical of the scope of N64 on NSO beyond what the Wii and Wii U VCs offered... gotta see it to really believe it.

But this tweet is not surprising as all three Sly games have some kind of Rocket easter eggs.
I was aware of some easter eggs, but that's why I thought they owned the character outright.. but references are one thing, showing the character upfront like in this artwork is even more surprising then;

Yes, this is correct. However, I also have a very strong hunch that a lot of heavy hitters will be saved for the next Direct.

That said, the Game Awards is in a good time frame to announce things that would excite a prospective consumer to maybe, say, ask for a Switch for Christmas so they can get the good stuff coming out soon. Who knows.

They had Smash DLC reveals there. Sephiroth in Smash was THE highlight of last year's show. TGA is incredibly important to them as its viewership is massively higher than any Nintendo Direct. Lots of non-Nintendo/Switch fans watch the event and it's a perfect avenue to attract new consumers to their platform.

Warner multiversus is coming
We need more like that.

Where's Gandalf? Is he late again? Frodo is waiting for the fireworks!
Scooby doo, where are you? Did Dr. Stephen Strange sent you to hunt down Spiderman villains?
We got some meatball subs but Joey Tribbiani is not here!
Hey, Goofy, you don't need to disappear! This is a Warner Brawl, not Disney one!

I'm aware that they used it for a Breath of the Wild content, but that was 2015(?)-2016. The years since have seen Bayonetta teaser, and then some third party offerings. It just doesn't feel like a major spot for them anymore. Perhaps I'm forgetting other showings
Nintendo in the game Awards presents:
-Zelda BotW first gameplay
-Zelda BotW DLC
-Bayonetta 1,2 and 3
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
-Sefirot in Smash
-Joker in smash
-Bravely Default 2

Nintendo ,in the Switch era, usually provides an announcement for TGAs.
I think this year the game announce would probably be a first-party licensed game (for example, a Despicable Me game).

I personally wish they would get rid of the "Content Creator of the Year" award altogether.

Because it's just a popularity contest. It's not actually about the substance/quality of that creator's video content. The people voting for the nominees don't even keep up with most of the content creators on YouTube.

It is a popularity contest. Pure & simple. It's not a show to recognize talent or quality. Just like it isn't a 'Content Creator of the Year' award. It's the 'Content Creator I've Seen Trend on Twitter Due to Popularity' Award. Fall is on the jury that nominates but it's also a fundamental flaw with the show itself.

Do the awards matter? Not one bit; but it's a shame they only serve to highlight those at the top.

They help sponsor the show and usually bring at least one big thing a year. It’s expected at this point and they do take advantage of the huge audience to bring more attention to a game a larger hardcore audience would be interested in. So yeah they definitely care.

Most companies have to pay Geoff to get their trailers into the show (and pre-show). Some publishers are willing to pay those high fees, some publishers aren't.

Larger publishers (like Nintendo) usually don't pay those high fees. Because Geoff needs Nintendo way more than Nintendo needs Geoff.

They had Smash DLC reveals there. Sephiroth in Smash was THE highlight of last year's show. TGA is incredibly important to them as its viewership is massively higher than any Nintendo Direct. Lots of non-Nintendo/Switch fans watch the event and it's a perfect avenue to attract new consumers to their platform.

Yet they still opt for showing major first party titles pretty much exclusively in their own Directs.

That's not to say I don't think it would be a good place to show something big. I absolutely see there being value in showing off Metroid Prime Remaster off the back of a Metroid Dread award, or perhaps giving us the third BotW2 trailer somewhere in the show - I just don't expect it anymore.

Expected, but disappointing

Keep twisting those nipples, he'll get out one way or another and with luck the board that's defending him, too

I am going to fall down the rabbit hole of city pop aren’t I? This style definitely is in my wheelhouse.
I'm not even the foremost expert on it when @Derachi and @Raccoon and @Joseki can reccomend so many more, but hell I would be shocked if Japanese City Pop isn't the de facto soundtrack of FamiBoards if it were ran like a MySpace blog in 2002

Centrism is good for one thing and one thing only: winning meaningless popularity contests from both sides-ing everyone.

Speaking of Lupin the third, this should be a real trip

The original is the only one that took plots from the manga for a good chunk so it’s pretty different from the other parts(now Lady Called Fujiko Mine goes darker into that type of tone but there’s some… trade offs as a result)

I've been watching Lupin III part 1, it has a drastic shift in tone after literally 4 episodes

Is the dub new?

I've been watching Lupin III part 1, it has a drastic shift in tone after literally 4 episodes

Is the dub new?
Brand new, this is literally the premier, current dub cast who did parts 4/5(and are doing 6 as well). This will just leave part 3(and a hefty chunk of 2) undubbed

Just like it isn't a 'Content Creator of the Year' award. It's the 'Content Creator I've Seen Trend on Twitter Due to Popularity' Award.
If this were true Jerma, my most wanted, would've at least been nominated. I hate to make armchair conspiracy theories but it seems more like they might be people who know people, as it were

"Geoff, we aren't paying those fees. You're gonna give us a 95% discount. You know you need us Geoff. You know the slimmest of possibilities that we'll be here to show off Zelda or Metroid will get millions of our idiotic fans to turn into your little show. Now here's the trailer for the Cranky Kong DLC for Mario Party. We expect a primetime spot as always Geoff".

random ass update

Not as unexpected after the first random update this game got; but still curious that they're supporting it.

I remember when people thought they'd be releasing more karts; but now Peach, Yoshi and Toad are there exclusively as the Player 2-4 options so I guess that's off the table.

"Geoff, we aren't paying those fees. You're gonna give us a 95% discount. You know you need us Geoff. You know the slimmest of possibilities that we'll be here to show off Zelda or Metroid will get millions of our idiotic fans to turn into your little show. Now here's the trailer for the Cranky Kong DLC for Mario Party. We expect a primetime spot as always Geoff".
I have to admit the memes that came out of that that cranky kong announcement back in the day were amazing

RbRcGzn.gif

4FF9xvZ.gif

crankbddif.png

My partner has me listening to Dorian Electra... I did not adequately prepare myself
wow, I hadn’t heard them at all before but now I suddenly feel like an absolute folksy woodland hermit they in comparison

I was also not prepared, lol

like I’m not a stranger to hyperpop or extremely chaotic music at all, but god damn

Auto scrolling levels in 3D World are just the absolute worst. 6-Castle is an abomination of a level.

Is Pokemon the most critic-proof franchise of all time? It’s already #1 and #4 eShop (US) Best Seller. EDIT: AND the bundle is #7.
I'm gonna say no. the floor might be low, but for me to call it "critic proof", the game has to be GTA Trilogy levels and still sell well. and GTA Trilogy still seems to be doing that even?

Speaking of Lupin the third, this should be a real trip

The original is the only one that took plots from the manga for a good chunk so it’s pretty different from the other parts(now Lady Called Fujiko Mine goes darker into that type of tone but there’s some… trade offs as a result)

I was wondering when this was airing, look forward to it. I actually had another Lupin the 3rd tv special arrive in the mail today, Goodbye Partner. Haven't seen it yet, but look forward to watching it.

I've been watching part 2 and Fuma Conspiracy recently. I've become a big fan over the past year or so.

Wonder how long we have to wait to get info on part 6s dub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom