• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I am a moderator of the BPSP section on PokeCommunity and lucky to even see any posts. That site has been around for YEARS and isn't near as active as it used to be. I was an off and on again member of the community, but lost any old usernames and emails.

Sooo

Forums > Discord, fight me. I'll always prefer this mode over Discord or any IM system.
I both agree abd disagree. I feel forum posting can be more interactive, having everything on discord also keeps this tidy and organized lol.

2022's lineup makes me really glad 2021 has been a relatively light year for me in new releases on all platforms. Even in just the first few months there are so many games I'm eyeing, I don't think my wallet would've been able to take two loaded years back-to-back...
People said 2021 would be equivalent to 2017 (It wasn't imo, but still solid), but I feel that is going to be inherently true for 2022.

Splatoon 3, BOTW 2, Bayo 3, M+R2, Arceus, Advance Wars, Kirby, God of War, Forspoken, FF16??, Star Ocean, Horizon, GT7, Elden Ring, Saints Row, FF Origin, Triangle Strategy, Starfield, Digimon Survive, Eiyuden, Project Eve??, Metal Slug, Redfall, Monark and more I'm too lazy to type on my phone XD

This doesn't include some possible rumors of 2022 happenings.

The thing about Switch-Era Nintendo is it feels like they're going through a checklist of "Nintendo fan dreams".

• Banjo, Sora, Ridley, King K. Rool and Simon Belmont in Smash Bros? Check!
  • Pokemon Snap sequel? Check!
  • Grand Theft Auto on a portable Nintendo system? Check!
  • Most of the Final Fantasy games on a portable Nintendo system? Check!
  • New 2D and New 3D Metroid? Check!
  • Advance Wars? Check! Clubhouse Games? Check!
  • Fully 3D Kirby? Check!
  • Monster Hunter? Check! Dragon Quest? Check!
  • Bioshock? Skyrim? Diablo? Crash Bandicoot? Spyro? Check! Check! Check! Check! Check!

I'm very intrigued to see how 2023-2024 plays out. When the Switch era does come to an end, I think it'll end with a bang. There's one 2023-24 game, in particular, that I can't wait to see the internet's reactions to.

When you consider both first party and third party content (including indies), Switch's software library is just insane at this point.
Well, they're forgetting the real Nintendo fans #1 dream, a new Custom Robo game 😀

😢

A successor can come in 2023 or 2024 with Switch support continuing in those years. Cross-gen software support is likely, I think.

Edit - not saying 2023/24 are definite times for a successor because I'm still not sure exactly what to expect from the new hardware.

The thing about Switch-Era Nintendo is it feels like they're going through a checklist of "Nintendo fan dreams". […]

When you consider both first party and third party content (including indies), Switch's software library is just insane at this point.

Just sad there wasn’t room for a sWIItch Sport Resort or Nintendo Land. Ok, the casual family game section was covered with 1-2 Switch and Clubhouse, but why not having the signature game of the Wii and Wii U despite having so many ports?

Exactly. I am a moderator of the BDSP section on PokeCommunity and lucky to even see any posts. That site has been around for YEARS and isn't near as active as it used to be. I was an off and on again member of the community, but lost any old usernames and emails.
Ha, wow, I wondered why your name sounded so familiar all this time, lol. I was a big poster on the PokeCommunity forums. Joined right around the 20th anniversary. It seems once the exodus to Safari Zone happened, the forums never recovered, even when they were sold to Sheep.

Well, I mentioned Star Fox and Pikmin 4, but for me, Switch is still lacking Donkey Kong, and hopefully all the rumors are true and next year we'll finally get it.

sure, I'm also feeling a huge empty space of Mario Kart, 2D Mario and so on.. but those I think Nintendo will skip it because the Wii U ports are doing well. :\

Is it safe to say that this game could “break” the internet? Maybe something that rhymes with “soprano” that will “break” us and “trigger” a mass hysteria?

It’s the hope for Chrono that will be the end of me.
See that's what I was thinking! That'd be my box checked for sure (or even just a port of the original, geez). So @Emily I second his question. 😁

Soprano doesn’t rhyme with chrono 🤔

At least not in American English
American English is arguably the worst English tho. And I say that as an American.
I'm just kidding around, please don't take this as continent-warring

Internet's reaction makes me think its not necessarily a Nintendo IP.

Could obviously be wrong of course lol

Only a Mother 3 remake (with all the problematic content taken out/replaced) could blow my mind at this point.

The thing about Switch-Era Nintendo is it feels like they're going through a checklist of "Nintendo fan dreams".

• Fully 3D Kirby? Check!
  • Bioshock? Skyrim? Diablo? Crash Bandicoot? Spyro? Check! Check! Check! Check! Check!

I'm very intrigued to see how 2023-2024 plays out. When the Switch era does come to an end, I think it'll end with a bang. There's one 2023-24 game, in particular, that I can't wait to see the internet's reactions to.

I'm banking on Star Fox being a late gen title. It would make the Switch era feel "complete"

Ya know, all things considered, I feel pretty well taken care of with Switch in terms of games. Not a lot of dream Nintendo games left for me. My backlog is kinda ridiculous at this point. I’d even call it irresponsible of me. I need to start being smarter with my money lol

I do require a new F-Zero, Nintendo!

@Emily , do you still believe in an original Star Fox game on Switch? What about Pikmin 4? Those probably will "close the cycle" for many Nintendo fans, I suppose

So, I never said anything about Star Fox, at all. This is why I don't say much about Nintendo's plans anymore. Because people struggle to keep track of who says what: "Did Jeff Grubb report this"..."Did SamusHunter talk about this"..."Did Zippo say this"..."Did Sabi say that"..."What did King Zell say?"...."Did "[insert name]" report this?"..."What did Eurogamer say?"

Like that Donkey Kong rumor. That rumor came from Damien McFarren, DKVine and Zippo (not me). I hope the rumor is true, but I haven't heard anything about it on my end. There could be two reasons my contacts are not hearing about it: Maybe it's super early in development? Or maybe my contacts aren't aware of that particular project?

I try to be very, very careful about what I say.

The VR announcement (Labo VR).
Or when I said Bayonetta 3 wasn't Platinum's only Switch game.... (Astral Chains was announced months after I said that.)
Weeks before E3, I sent you all a tip on Resetera that a new Metroid + Nintendo hardware revision would be announced in the summer. They both were announced within a month.

RE: Pikmin 4 - It's always been in an experimental stage. That's probably why Nintendo told Miyamoto to shut up about it. I don't know if it'll ever become an actual finished product. It's never been that far into development. On my end, I haven't heard anything about it releasing this year.

Ya know, all things considered, I feel pretty well taken care of with Switch in terms of games. My backlog is kinda ridiculous at this point. I’d even call it irresponsible.
Me before 2021: "A good # of switch games next year, but I can squeeze in a PS5"

Me before 2022: "Looks at wallet" "I've made a terrible mistake

I understand your plight my friend

Hard “O” ending - consonance and assonance throughout the word is different, but the hard “O” end-rhyme is there.

I also tried entirely too hard to make this joke.
Words that rhyme with Chrono

Soprano is actually pretty close to the top of the list. I think some people pronounce "Chrono" with a soft first "o" (like krah-no) so that probably brings up the "soprano" rhyme. Those people are wrong, but still. Also there's a surprising proportion of Italian words on that list so it's funny that your mind went right to one.

I think the likeliest course for an EPD Tokyo developed DK game right now is that it's the 2D game they were hiring for at one stage. There remains the possibility that EPD 8 (Tokyo) and EPD 10 (Kyoto) are collaborating on a 2D Mario title together, but I don't think there's form for two internal production groups to be put on the same project in that way, even though development collaboration is pretty much the standard these days.

I don't know if anybody ever said the DK game was definitely 3D, either. I thought DK Vine and Nintendo Life actually went out of the way to say they didn't know which it was, and DK Vine speculated it would be a hybrid.

Ha, wow, I wondered why your name sounded so familiar all this time, lol. I was a big poster on the PokeCommunity forums. Joined right around the 20th anniversary. It seems once the exodus to Safari Zone happened, the forums never recovered, even when they were sold to Sheep.
I am NipahRika over there, not just Rika. :p

Some of my friends have already picked up Mario Party All-Stars. This game is gonna be huge. I mean that was obvious but this one feels like it's gonna be really big right out of the gate with a lot more Month 1 purchases than Super Mario Party. I hear the online is working well so combined with the Animal Crossing expansion coming out in a few days, it should be a big boom to NSO subscriptions as well.

So, I never said anything about Star Fox, at all. This is why I don't say much about Nintendo's plans anymore. Because people struggle to keep track of who says what: "Did Jeff Grubb report this"..."Did SamusHunter talk about this"..."Did Zippo say this"..."Did Sabi say that"..."What did King Zell say?"...."Did "[insert name]" report this?"..."What did Eurogamer say?"

Like that Donkey Kong rumor. That rumor came from Damien McFarren, DKVine and Zippo (not me). I hope the rumor is true, but I haven't heard anything about it on my end. There could be two reasons my contacts are not hearing about it: Maybe it's super early in development? Or maybe my contacts aren't aware of that particular project?

Or when I said Bayonetta 3 wasn't Platinum's only Switch game.... (Astral Chains was announced months after I said that.)
Weeks before E3, I sent you all a tip on Resetera that a new Metroid + Nintendo hardware revision would be announced in the summer. They both were announced within a month.

RE: Pikmin 4 - It's always been in an experimental stage. That's probably why Nintendo told Miyamoto to shut up about it. I don't know if it'll ever become an actual finished product. It's never been that far into development. On my end, I haven't heard anything about it releasing this year.
Thanks for clarifying that up, because I probably heard something about Star Fox being reported by you from somewhere else. Those things are indeed hard to keep track of, and many wires get crossed along the way 💦

On DK, I don't think the rumors are too far fetched, so I'm counting on materialize soon enough.

It's Star Fox that always seemed a bit shakey to me, since Zero was such a bomb and Nintendo kinda positioned Starlink as the game of this gen.

And Pikmin 4 continues to be a fable~

Last edited:
I still maintain the base Switch will probably be supported until 2026-2027, with no full, traditional successor happening until 2025-2026 if even then.

I both agree abd disagree. I feel forum posting can be more interactive, having everything on discord also keeps this tidy and organized lol.
I agree Discord is more organized and tidy. I just do not see Discord or any social network being a forum replacement or killer. As big of a boomer as I am for forums I do miss the days they were more of a thing. lol

From what I remember of Star Fox discussion on The Old Place, I think it was the case that people misinterpreted something you said, or simply used it as the basis for hopeful speculation. I think you commented on Star Fox being a franchise Nintendo would likely keep prototyping, rather than ever saying that Star Fox was in firm development, and people ran with that as the basis for Star Fox coming to Switch.

I am serious when I say that Star Fox 64 has one of my favorite credits of any game ever. The scene of the squad running at sunset as Great Fox rises in the background as the music swells is absolutely perfect.

From what I remember of Star Fox discussion on The Old Place, I think it was the case that people misinterpreted something you said, or simply used it as the basis for hopeful speculation. I think you commented on Star Fox being a franchise Nintendo would likely keep prototyping, rather than ever saying that Star Fox was in firm development, and people ran with that as the basis for Star Fox coming to Switch.

Star Fox and Pikmin are constantly getting prototyped. Nintendo is always experimenting with those two IPs.

That doesn't mean they'll materialize into products on retail shelves.

Nintendo was prototyping a Star Fox action-adventure game before Rare's Star Fox Adventures.

I am serious when I say that Star Fox 64 has one of my favorite credits of any game ever. The scene of the squad running at sunset as Great Fox rises in the background as the music swells is absolutely perfect.
I see you and raise you the ending to Star Fox Zero, which has a very similar scene of the Great Fox flying into the sunset with the same music, except with a little line after the credits that says "Dedicated to our wingman who fell in battle," which made me fucking cry.

Star Fox and Pikmin are constantly getting prototyped. Nintendo is always experimenting with those two IPs.

That doesn't mean they'll materialize into products on retail shelves.

Nintendo was prototyping a Star Fox action-adventure game before Rare's Star Fox Adventures.
Yep! Much like Miyamoto's comments with Pikmin 4, people misunderstood what you'd said. The fact it took the Metroid Dread concept 15 years - and at least 3 different development periods - to come to fruition should be a reminder of how roundabout their software development can be.

I don't doubt there are a huge number of prototypes we never see anything of. I also don't doubt there are ideas gestating at Nintendo which take a long, long time to come to market.

To give you an idea of why prototype rumors are meaningless:

Five or six years ago, I heard from an excellent source that Nintendo made a small tech/graphical demo of Wave Race to show off Switch's graphical capabilities. This tech demo was only seen privately/internally. But a tech demo doesn't mean you'll get an actual Wave Race game on Switch. Switch has been around for 5 years and no Wave Race in sight.

Pikmin and Star Fox also happens to be the two IPs Miyamoto won't let die no matter the sales performance. Sure, it can disappear for a little while and skip a system, but it will always be around because there's someone championing for them internally.

Not all Nintendo IPs have this privilege

Five or six years ago, I heard from an excellent source that Nintendo made a small tech/graphical demo of Wave Race to show off Switch's graphical capabilities. This tech demo was only seen privately/internally. But a tech demo doesn't mean you'll get an actual Wave Race game on Switch. Switch has been around for 5 years and no Wave Race in sight.
This is interesting and Wave Race really was something I'd like to see rebooted by EPD (EPD 9 would be a great fit). Shinya Takahashi said they might revisit Wave Race on Switch in 2018. But, like you say, nothing has ever materialised.

Pikmin and Star Fox also happens to be the two IPs Miyamoto won't let die no matter the sales performance. Sure, it can disappear for a little while and skip a system, but it will always be around because there's someone championing for them internally.

Not all Nintendo IPs have this privilege
So what you're saying is all that needs to happen for a new Eternal Darkness to be made is for me to get a job at Nintendo and slowly rise through the ranks to finally become a producer who won't shut up about it?

as opposed to a random forum poster who won't shut up about it

• Fully 3D Kirby? Check!

It's an Earthbound remake, isn't it? There's gotta be a reason it's not on NSO.

I wish I could've just seen that, if only for the water simulation.

I don't think it's impossible that we'll see a new Star Fox game before the end of this Switch cycle, so it wouldn't blow my mind if it was announced. A remastered Mother Collection, on the other hand... Wow. People would go nuts. Still seems to be pretty much a pipe dream, though.

Pain.

The least they could do is put WaveRace 64 on NSO in the near future

There are franchises I expect to see on Switch in the next few years. Tomodachi Life from EPD 7 seems very likely, given Nintendo have been bringing handheld (and especially DS) franchises over to Switch with increasing frequency since the Lite launched. I think it was also the case the Tomodachi lead staff haven't been involved in anything for a little while, and if the 3DS game could shift 6 million, then the series is ripe for growth on Switch in the post-AC era.

This might be wishful thinking (points at avatar), but I feel like Wario Land has a shot given Good-Feel have done back to back Yoshi titles. Nintendo and Good-Feel can also provide more Yoshi on Switch with a Woolly World port, leaving Good-Feel and Nintendo free to tackle something else.
Pain.

The least they could do is put WaveRace 64 on NSO in the near future
Between the heavy use of transparency effects and the 20fps frame rate, I feel like Wave Race 64 would really be a sub-par experience on the current build of the emulator. I mean sure, it'd be perfectly playable, but I'd expect input lag and visual issues given what we're seeing with Ocarina. It's not in the list of 16 confirmed titles, either, but will presumably come at some point. Hopefully work on the emulator itself continues alongside the addition of games to the app.

Pain. Massive amounts of pain.

Edit: @Brofield beat me to it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom