• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
ngl, I don't even remember what most N64 games look like on original hardware but those OoT on Switch screens are bad

Yea it's a shame they're charging so much for this and they screwed up on fog too. (which is crucial for N64 games)

xW6MKtp.png

Ooph, that second image comparison. That's a bummer.

Gonna have to think about whether or not I want to sub to this. I was looking forward to Zelda with the N64 controller, but now I'm not so sure.
If somehow you've gone through life without playing Phantasy Star IV, check it out on the Genesis NSO app.

One of my favorite RPGs from the 16-bit era.
Phantasy Star IV is one of the things I wanted to sub for, definitely.

I mean I don't think you'd expect absolutely flawless emulation but Nintendo themselves usually treat their old games with respect - their remakes and remasters are faithful to the original experience and sometimes to a fault.

Like, from what I can see Ocarina is harder hit by this emulation than other games because it makes greater use of fog effects which seem to be absent or not rendered correctly on Switch. But that does mean you're losing a key part of the game's visual identity - that Water Temple scene just isn't the same without it. I'm sure other N64 games don't suffer anywhere near as much, but honestly you'd think they'd put the effort in with one of their absolute all time great games.

Ugh, I've had a cold creeping up on me for the last couple of days and it keeps getting less pleasant. This is the only thing I don't like about autumn.

Ooph, that second image comparison. That's a bummer.

Gonna have to think about whether or not I want to sub to this. I was looking forward to Zelda with the N64 controller, but now I'm not so sure.

Phantasy Star IV is one of the things I wanted to sub for, definitely.

Is this sarcasm? 🤔

Complaining about the lack of fog?

Throughout the entire N64 generation my brother would always ridicule the games I played due to excessive fog use. 😂

I understood its purpose back then but is the lack of fog an issue now other than not being able to relive the original? Now the fogs gone is there excessive pop in or is it simple just less fog?

Complaining about the lack of fog?

Throughout the entire N64 generation my brother would always ridicule the games I played due to excessive fog use. 😂

I understood its purpose back then but is the lack of fog an issue now other than not being able to relive the original? Now the fogs gone is there excessive pop in or is it simple just less fog?
It's a bad visual glitch caused by the emulator not rendering things correctly. It's not some deliberate design choice to clean up the visuals.

Yeah, I'm aware that's not an issue for some people. For me, it's something I'd want to see fixed. Now with the minor visual hitches in Sunshine last year, Nintendo issued a patch, so hopefully they do that here.

Ahh I see. Appreciate the detailed explanation.

I was at work during the original announcement a week or so ago but when I eventually did see I thought I heard games would have a basic graphical upgrade. I later read that wasn't the case so was disappointed.

N64 was my first console I bought and bought majority of my games for but I'm not currently planning on getting the expansion pack, even once there are a lot more games on offer.

I'm on the fence on the expansion pack. It'll cost me around £13 if I upgrade in the next week or two, which is fine for 12 months. While I'm bummed about Ocarina, there are definitely other games I'd play and I'd try the AC expansion in the next 12 months, for sure.

Hey Legends!

Not sure where to post this without making a thread specifically for it…

I just got my Shiny Sword and Shield Legendary codes (UK) and have realised that you can only redeem one in sword and one in shield.

I have Shield and have redeemed the perspective code, but don’t have Sword.

What would be the best way to get this Code redeemed and into my game? I assume trading with someone else if I give them the code?

Does anybody have any solutions?

Yea it's a shame they're charging so much for this and they screwed up on fog too. (which is crucial for N64 games)

xW6MKtp.png

Even though you and others point out the fog specifically just in this comparison you posted there's plenty other things wrong as well. The water texture is completely messed up and there are no reflections whatsoever. This is unarguably poor emulation and it reminds me of Project64 with pre-2010 plugins.

Even though you and others point out the fog specifically just in this comparison you posted there's plenty other things wrong as well. The water texture is completely messed up and there are no reflections whatsoever. This is unarguably poor emulation and it reminds me of Project64 with pre-2010 plugins.
Right - it should be said that Ocarina's visual presentation across the board is a little off, but that Water Temple scene and the absence of fog are just the most egregious examples of it. Like I said, exact emulation isn't going to happen, but side by side comparisons show some big deviations here. It's also fair to say that Ocarina seems to be the game that suffers most in side by side comparisons which suggests that the emulator isn't properly replicating things Ocarina was doing on N64. It'll be interesting to see what happens with future additions - hopefully this is the exception and it's fixed before too long. Majora's Mask is the obvious one to keep an eye on.

Nintendo did patch Mario Sunshine last year, so I'd hope they patch this, but who knows.

Realistically is this something they could and/or would fix or are we stuck with it?
At this point I'd say they'd damn well better fix it. The online functionality might not be able to get too much better but all of these graphical/framerate issues are pretty nuts, and NERD has had a history of fixing stuff as evidenced by Mario 3D All-Stars so it's definitely possible to do. I think people need to give them hell for this because it's pretty unacceptable that this is their worst attempt at N64 emulation yet

Sly Nintendo making sure OoT on NSO looks like utter doodoo so they can sell OoT HD for 60€ next year. /s, just to make sure

At this point I'd say they'd damn well better fix it. The online functionality might not be able to get too much better but all of these graphical/framerate issues are pretty nuts, and NERD has had a history of fixing stuff as evidenced by Mario 3D All-Stars so it's definitely possible to do. I think people need to give them hell for this because it's pretty unacceptable that this is their worst attempt at N64 emulation yet
That's a fair assessment. Ninty has unprecedented amount of goodwill from me as a result of Dread so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Hopefully the backlash will be great enough for them to do something about it.

Sly Nintendo making sure OoT on NSO looks like utter doodoo so they can sell OoT HD for 60€ next year. /s, just to make sure
You jest, but I feel Ocarina of Time HD as a full price release is definitely something that happens in the 2020s, though the apparently underwhelming NSO emulation has little to do with it - more the fact they could probably sell 10 million copies of a stand-alone title like that.

Hopefully they do update the N64 emulation. I hope the Mega Drive emulation doesn't have as many of these small but irritating issues.

You jest, but I feel Ocarina of Time HD as a full price release is definitely something that happens in the 2020s, though the apparently underwhelming NSO emulation has little to do with it - more the fact they could probably sell 10 million copies of a stand-alone title like that.

Hopefully they do update the N64 emulation. I hope the Mega Drive emulation doesn't have as many of these small but irritating issues.
Yeah, I fully expect them to do it. Maybe they will upres the 3DS version and call it a day, which would be fine by me as well.

I was on the fence about getting the expansion, but seeing the comparison pics I will wait a bit. However I do not have much hope in a patch for the emulation, people are asking for black borders for NES and SNES apps and nothing was done on those

I was on the fence about getting the expansion, but seeing the comparison pics I will wait a bit. However I do not have much hope in a patch for the emulation, people are asking for black borders for NES and SNES apps and nothing was done on those
I think there's a big difference here given this is about the quality of the emulation itself rather than the style and settings of the app, if that makes sense. There seem to be a number of issues - which are espcially noticeable in Ocarina of Time - relating to graphics and performance. As far as I can remember, there weren't those kinds of issues with either the NES or the SNES.

Yeaaaah I don't expect Nintendo to fix the emulation.
It was shit on Wii U too with input lag and an awful dark filter and they never fixed it lol
We're just doomed with Nintendo giving us shit N64 emulators. Such a shame after how well Mario 64 on All Stars 3D was. Wasn't expecting it to look that bad on a few games given NERD is seemingly on it.
For most games I won't notice it, but yeah Ocarina of Time is especially bad.

I have only played Ocarina on the 3DS. Is there any difference between the NA and EU versions on the N64?

Edit: nvm I found the answer already lol

Last edited:
The expansion was always a difficult sell to me, because i simply don't wanna play these early 3D games again, and if i would want, i'd just hit up my actual N64 to an old CRT i have.

Don't understand why people are so keen to replay these ... well after so much time ... "bad" games on a bad controller. Especially if you have to pay two premiums for it with the sub and the controller purchase.

But now? I'd be damned if i give Nintendo more money than the regular NSO sub. ^^

Yeah, I fully expect them to do it. Maybe they will upres the 3DS version and call it a day, which would be fine by me as well.

Well, I'm not so sure. I mean OOT 3D is great and the reason I didn't care about N64 NSO anyway. But for OOT HD, there are few reasons why that would be problematic.
  • They'd have to do something about the dual screens and the touchscreen.
  • 4 item buttons needs to be rationalised somehow.
  • No free camera? It's the only one yet to have a version with one.
  • No rumble?
  • 3DS is 240p. The stuff lots great on that screen, but you'd need a hell of lot of upscaling for a Switch version.
  • Not all assets were improved so some would be jarringly low poly.
  • The maps were still kind of bad.
I'd like to think a loving 25th anniversary version is coming soon. It would surely sell.

Does the N64 emulation in the Expansion Pack at least come with CRT filters? The NES and SNES games had that as an option, and they were pretty good filters at that.

Well, I'm not so sure. I mean OOT 3D is great and the reason I didn't care about N64 NSO anyway. But for OOT HD, there are few reasons why that would be problematic.
  • They'd have to do something about the dual screens and the touchscreen.
  • 4 item buttons needs to be rationalised somehow.
  • No free camera? It's the only one yet to have a version with one.
  • No rumble?
  • 3DS is 240p. The stuff lots great on that screen, but you'd need a hell of lot of upscaling for a Switch version.
  • Not all assets were improved so some would be jarringly low poly.
  • The maps were still kind of bad.
I'd like to think a loving 25th anniversary version is coming soon. It would surely sell.
I brought up OoT3D because in my mind, porting the already modernised version of OoT with some tweaks to make sure it is playable and does not look absolutely terrible would be easier than having to use the original as a base once again. I absolutely hope that they would put in the effort to do something more along the lines of Xenoblade DE, though.

It makes sense but I was a little disappointed to find the 3d all stars version of mario 64 isn't really playable with the nso n64 controller. since they mapped both A and B to jump in that game it means it's impossible to grab things using the n64 controller.

I probably wasn’t going to play OoT on NSO anyway, but it’s really disappointing to hear about the emulation and graphical issues.

The winners of the TOMMI 21 award (about 1600 children from Germany, Austria and Switzerland tried the games pre-selected by a jury in libraries and rated them) are …:

Best console games:
1. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser‘s Fury
2. Sackboy: A Big Adventure
3. Just Dance 21.

The Nintendo representative was very happy about Nintendo winning again.

Andre is just testing this by plugging his N64 into his HDTV which is not accurate. When plugging an analog source into a digital display there will always be extra latency because it has to convert the signal (it's why Melee players are always so insistent on using CRTs at tournaments). So this is kind of useless. The input delay might be tricky to fix but I think they should work on addressing it.

I mean I don't think you'd expect absolutely flawless emulation but Nintendo themselves usually treat their old games with respect - their remakes and remasters are faithful to the original experience and sometimes to a fault.

Like, from what I can see Ocarina is harder hit by this emulation than other games because it makes greater use of fog effects which seem to be absent or not rendered correctly on Switch. But that does mean you're losing a key part of the game's visual identity - that Water Temple scene just isn't the same without it. I'm sure other N64 games don't suffer anywhere near as much, but honestly you'd think they'd put the effort in with one of their absolute all time great games.
They really don’t honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom