• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never understood the love for Chrono Trigger. It had a unique premise which was neat but beyond that I didn't think it did anything special. I could not get into the gameplay at all either, I wish it had been simple turn based.

Disclaimer, I only ever got like 10 hours in before dropping it.

I never understood the love for Chrono Trigger. It had a unique premise which was neat but beyond that I didn't think it did anything special. I could not get into the gameplay at all either, I wish it had been simple turn based.

Well I thought I was gonna Yeah! every post about Chrono. 😕
I kid, I kid

Cause it a perfectly sized rpg in length, without any nagging complaints people having a turn based games like random encounters. Also the akira toriyama artsyle and one of the best soundtracks on the snes.

Wow, another port of a game where the dev team went above and beyond. Gonna support this game as it looks like a good boomer shooter:

I hope people who like JRPGs have played Dragon Quest V. If you consider yourself a JRPG fan, and haven’t played DQ V, I cannot recommend it highly enough!

The entire DQ series, really.

Playing DQ1 is such a wholesome experience. You get to see how the genre was born and it's a neat and unique game on top of that. And it only takes about 5 hours!

The appeal of Chrono Trigger to me is that it's a simple game, the premise is super straightforward, it has time travel but it treats in the most basic way possible so it's not convoluted. The mechanics are simple but also deep enough to allow for fun stuff like the dual/triple techs. Also, as I mentioned earlier, it's a pretty short game so it's good for a quick playthrough.

Beyond that, the artstyle is pretty good and the music is top tier. You're not forced to love it but I've never liked the tone of posts that are like "I don't understand why it's loved" or, worse, "it's overrated".

By the way, where's one supposed to play DQV on?

The appeal of Chrono Trigger to me is that it's a simple game, the premise is super straightforward, it has time travel but it treats in the most basic way possible so it's not convoluted. The mechanics are simple but also deep enough to allow for fun stuff like the dual/triple techs. Also, as I mentioned earlier, it's a pretty short game so it's good for a quick playthrough.

Beyond that, the artstyle is pretty good and the music is top tier. You're not forced to love it but I've never liked the tone of posts that are like "I don't understand why it's loved" or, worse, "it's overrated".

The mobile port of DQV is pretty good.

There is the translated SNES original, the translated PS2 remake, and the DS remake which is also available on mobile. The DS version is lovely, the sprite work and monster animations are great, and the localization is top notch like every DQ.

I haven't played the mobile versions of IV-VI personally but they're generally considered to be great. IV is even the "definitive version" according to some, since it features party chat, which was absent on the DS version.

The ports of I-III look really bad for me, the optimal way to play those is the GBC remake for I and II if you can get it, and the SNES remake of III, until the 2D HD remake comes out at least.

Last edited:
Lol

I’m sorry. I’ll stop using it now - it has been making me detest the comparison for a few days. 👍
NO don’t be sorry I genuinely don’t actually care hahahaha

I actually liked your comparison because it’s actually kinda closer than you’d think: Chrono trigger was made by a “dream team” so to speak. Akira Toriyama, Yuji Horii, Yoshinori Kitase, Hironobu Sakeguchi, among others, it really was a huge melding of great minds

TOO BAD THE GAME IS MID AT BEST

no I’m joking, it’s great! A solid 8/10.

it is no DQ V or Earthbound tho

As a fellow non-fan of Chrono Trigger the usual alternative recommendation I like to give is Phantasy Star IV and I find that often hits the spot.

Similar to Chrono Trigger it benefits from a nice pace and rich atmosphere, however the sci-fi setting has a very different feel to it. Where it stands out is that it manages to keep a bit of an arcade feel of other Sega titles, but also the storytelling is expressed through manga panels that allow the player to feel a greater connection with the characters. Also the games combat system allows for various combination attacks if the right set of instructions are chosen and you can save 'macro's' so that you can quickly reperform these combo's at will. Generally I think it hits a different note than other RPG's of the time. I'm sure many here have played it but I recommend it if you haven't.

Btw I'm on my day 2 with Metroid Dread (my pre-ordered copy only arrived last night) and I was not prepared for how good this game is. I was not prepared.

… excuse me. Those games you listed?

Subway.

Chrono Trigger?

Gordon Ramsey, Anthony Bourdain, and Jon Favreau on a road trip.
Gordon Ramsey = Hironobu Sakaguchi
Anthony Bourdain = Yuji Horii
Jon Favreau = Akira Toriyama

Holy shit this works
But who would be Mitsuda? 🤔 (don't say guy fieri I swear to god)

Hello, Donnie sticking his nose into the abyss with his moderator hat on here. We've been discussing the idea of GoTY awards, voting and what that might look like on the site. Is that something folks would want? Would we do it the same as years past or differently? We would love to hear the community's thoughts, and we would love to hear if you think it's something you think you might want to volunteer or participate in organising!

Chrono Trigger and FF VI always felt to me like Boomer's choice RPGs, similar to how old japanese gamers gush about DQ III despite the game being outclassed several times.

After I finish my fourth run of dread today, I’m going to be jumping into the Castlevania Advance collection for the community Halloween event. Which game should I start with? Just go release order?

Hello, Donnie sticking his nose into the abyss with his moderator hat on here. We've been discussing the idea of GoTY awards, voting and what that might look like on the site. Is that something folks would want? Would we do it the same as years past or differently? We would love to hear the community's thoughts, and we would love to hear if you think it's something you think you might want to volunteer or participate in organising!

Famiboards should only vote on the best family game of the year imo.

I feel like GotY voting should really begin after the year is over. It's silly to me how often it happens before a big November or December release comes.

I'm usually so behind on my backlog I don't even consider voting in GotY type of stuff sadly. I've played just 2 games released in 2021 woops.
Pretty much same. That's pretty normal for me. I played New Pokemon Snap, Monster Hunter Rise and Bowser's Fury, so I can't really contribute. My backlog is around 250 games strong so I've been working on getting that down.

Hmm I wonder what game could possible win Famiboards goty

Chrono Trigger and FF VI always felt to me like Boomer's choice RPGs, similar to how old japanese gamers gush about DQ III despite the game being outclassed several times.
Haha jokes on you, I'm totally a millennial! 😜
and I have the crippling anxiety to prove it

I'm usually so behind on my backlog I don't even consider voting in GotY type of stuff sadly. I've played just 2 games released in 2021 woops.
I tend to switch between my backlog and new releases. I'm a sucker for hype and there's something to be said for experiencing a game at release when there's a buzz around. Obviously though that doesn't help my backlog and it's probably just a form of FOMO.

After I finish my fourth run of dread today, I’m going to be jumping into the Castlevania Advance collection for the community Halloween event. Which game should I start with? Just go release order?
Dracula X is kinda like a bonus game so play it whenever. For the three GBA games I played in release order but I'd save Aria for last as it's by far the best of the three, and the others may feel like a downgrade.

Similar situation to me. I haven't been able to get into either the older FFs or Chrono Trigger largely because for some reason people thought ATB was a fun combat system back in the day

It's just turn based but strictly worse whose idea was this

I'll go ahead and say that my GOTY choice is the potentially controversial pick Deltarune Chapter 2
I've been wondering why Toby Fox split Deltarune into multiple releases but now I see it was a galaxy brain plan to rake in a GOTY nomination every year for the next several years.

Honestly, a site-wide GOTY thing could be a great community activity. Here are my scattered thoughts on the subject:

1) Be ready for me to make an impassioned argument for allowing games originally released in previous years with significant updates released THAT year to be eligible. I’m of course looking at Animal Crossing.

2) I think collecting the community’s thoughts and presenting “The Games that Mattered to Us In 2021” as an unordered list of games that made the biggest impact might be a little more community-building than just “vote, we run the numbers and here’s a list.”

I think we can collectively decide on ONE game of the year, but I think we’d have a better, more nuanced conversation if, GOTY aside, people could talk about the games they loved most and why, and we could kinda aggregate these thoughts into an unordered list. As I said earlier, I’d make an impassioned argument for Animal Crossing, with or without update though I’m sure the update is going to make my feelings on the game even more impassioned.

So for an example:

FamiBoards‘ Game of the Year: GAME X

User A: “Game X really changed up the formula in a way that, to this day, makes me wonder why they didn’t do it earlier.”

User B: “Game X blew my mind. The mid-game story twist left my jaw on the floor.”

Honorable Mentions

GAME Y

User C: “I know Game Y wasn’t the biggest release of the year, but it was one that I couldn’t stop thinking of after I finished it! The controls felt so tight, and the ending really made me cry.“

GAME AC

Derachi: “Oops, I still play Game AC literally every day. I know a lot of people fell off and I get it, but this game became my early-morning coffee game. The update made me go from liking the game to adoring it.”

Similar situation to me. I haven't been able to get into either the older FFs or Chrono Trigger largely because for some reason people thought ATB was a fun combat system back in the day

It's just turn based but strictly worse whose idea was this
I disagree, ATB (when well implemented) gives the gameplay some more depth with spells like Haste, Slow, Stop and such. For a game like Chrono Trigger that has "combo attacks" (as in, you need 2 or more characters active at the same time to use them) it also adds even more strategy.

ATB does have the issue that spells like Haste are almost mandatory though, but I still like the system.

I disagree, ATB (when well implemented) gives the gameplay some more depth with spells like Haste, Slow, Stop and such. For a game like Chrono Trigger that has "combo attacks" (as in, you need 2 or more characters active at the same time to use them) it also adds even more strategy.

ATB does have the issue that spells like Haste are almost mandatory though, but I still like the system.
You can do all that without needing to have an ATB system though. Well, maybe not stuff like double techs since that requires two players to be ready at once but Slow/Haste is easily accomplished

I think Aria might be the most straight forward one and easiest to beat within the timeframe.

CotM has some fucking nasty bosses, HoD can be confusing, and Vampire's Kiss is just brutally hard and ... sucks ...

Chrono Trigger slander, ATB (and by extension Hiroyuki Ito) slander... maybe we should rethink this Famiboards business

<3

Meh

Then again it’s just not my type of game
I passed 1300 hours in it just the other day. With the upcoming update I can easily see myself doubling that at minimum. That game rules. It’s the game equivalent to a nice warm cozy blanket on a cold winter day. I adore it.

I just realized, seriously just now because of this conversation, that the point at which I started falling out of love with Final Fantasy was around the time they ditched ATB. Coincidence? 🤔

Just wondering if there is a place to talk about indies on fami?

Also, did I imagine that Inscryption was being released on switch? I read a great review for it earlier and was ready to go buy it… but it’s only on pc?

Incryption review

You can do all that without needing to have an ATB system though. Well, maybe not stuff like double techs since that requires two players to be ready at once but Slow/Haste is easily accomplished
Ye, I'm not saying ATB is a perfect system or that some of its features can't be emulated with standard turn based systems, but I still like some of its unique quirks (forgot to mention it also adds urgency when you play in modes where time passes even as you scroll through menus).

I think my favorite style of battle system is the one in Ubisoft's Child of Light. Wish that game developed it more though...

I just realized, seriously just now because of this conversation, that the point at which I started falling out of love with Final Fantasy was around the time they ditched ATB. Coincidence? 🤔
I got really into FF with 4, 5, 6, and 7. FF8 was when the series first stumbled for me personally, then 9 was a return to form somewhat, then 10 killed all my interest in the franchise completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom