• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an interesting story that didn't get much attention.

Hamster Corporation, the company behind Arcade Archives, has now filed a trademark for "Console Archives".

Source: Gematsu
I really wonder what that could bring...
Maybe some old school cult classics from SNES/Mega Drive/PS1/GCN/PS2 by minor developers or that were released by developers without publishers back then or that the franchises are now sold??
I don't remember the Arcade Archives but the moment I read it I thought that console equivalents of arcade games that must have been released by them would be the likes of Mortal Kombat 1-4 or the PS2 entries, the Hudson Soft games from NES and SNES, non-Sega developed titles for the Mega Drive and so on...

Howdy Fami,

With the Halloween Event being such a big success, I (and the rest of the staff) have been cooking up some ideas for future events.

One event that I'd like to get going by the end of the month is a Mario Kart 64 Tournament, to celebrate the arrival of the N64 Switch Online. We need some help though! If you have any experience in running tournaments (organizing entries, brackets, all that fun stuff), please let me know. An Event Organizer badge is yours if you wish to help. It's important that we get this right, because there might be a prize for the tournament winners....

In addition to that, we're planning some events for the next few months so I need some feedback for the following questions:

• Which games do you think define the GameCube (or just are your favorites), and would like to see part of a site event?
  • What Nintendo games do you think of when you think of winter/Christmas/the holidays? What games, series, themes etc would you like to see in such an event?
I've been having a blast putting this stuff together and can't wait to see your thoughts.

EDIT: If you'd rather put your thoughts somewhere other than this thread so it doesn't get lost, you can do so here.
Quoting this for the nighttime crew. 😉

Hamster Corporation, the company behind Arcade Archives, has now filed a trademark for "Console Archives".

Oooh baby!!! Hamster does great work, their Neo Geo releases have been absolutely wonderful. I wonder what consoles they could be doing? PC Engine comes to mind. I believe they’ve worked with Konami before.

I wonder if Hamster could get Rondo of Blood, if Konami don’t want to add it to any non-PS4 Castlevania collections?

I’ve just sent my Switch Animal Crossing special edition to Nintendo because since I bought it the fan makes waaay too much noise. I hope I get it back before the Animal Crossing DLC drops.

A question for people who imported a phisical version of The Great Ace Attorney, it works fine on european console? Also the codes for the bonus episodes works fine or you need to set up a USA account?

Ooh, that's exciting! I can't wait to see what their first release under that banner is so we can get a better idea of the content they'll be putting out! They've worked with quite a number of companies for the Arcade Archives, so it'll be exciting to see what they put out!

A question for people who imported a phisical version of The Great Ace Attorney, it works fine on european console? Also the codes for the bonus episodes works fine or you need to set up a USA account?
someone could probably answer this better, but from what i know game carts are all region free, but download codes or eshop codes are region specific. it shouldn't be hard tho to set up an account just to redeem the codes.

The alternative way for setting up a US account if the code doesn't work for you is to change the region of your main account. This makes everything under the same account no matter what. Note that you can only change it when the account have no leftover fund and the NSO's automatic subscription was turned off.

Damn the double jump in Metroid Dread is awful. Works when it feels like it.
It can take a bit of practice to get used to the space jump timing, but there's a rhythm to it. Not sure what the exact window is, since I do it by feel at this point, but I think you might have to wait until you're just past the peak of the jump or something like that.

Yup! Konami and TurboGrafx-16 were the first things I thought about too. As you said, Hamster and Konami have worked together many times before.
My PC Engine is still hooked up so I wouldn't pick anything up myself, but it would be great to bring the library to Switch. The mini and Wii VC really just scratched the surface of the great games that are on the platform. I wonder how deeply Hamster could go into the back catalogue. Their NEOGEO support was pretty impressive (OK, I only really cared about Baseball Stars 2, but still...)

It’s 4am in Ohio and my city is going on 13 hours without power

Being without power fucking sucks, I’ll tell you what

Chrono Trigger discussion in the thread gives me the urge to play it again. Maybe when I eventually get my Steam Deck I'll christen it with that... if it works on Deck.

Good morning, have you seen the video of Legends of Arceus? Which Pokémon do you think it will be?Some people think the full video will be unveiled today, I'm betting more on next week, as I have a feeling it will be a ghost or sinister Pokemon.

I was seriously expecting them to for the 25th anniversary last year. Either a port, an HD-2D remake, or even something along the lines of Trials of Mana. Takashi Tokita (one of the CT/CC directors) did a video interview a couple years or so ago and when they asked what he's working on now he said something along the lines of, "Well I can't say what it is, but I can say it's something long-time fans will appreciate, and when it's finally announced they'll say 'ah! There it is!'" and my mind went "That's gotta be Chrono."

I think that was really early in 2020 and that being the anniversary year I fully expected Chrono Something to be revealed during E3 that year. Then covid happened. Delays, I understand. World on fire like Lavos said "sup," tooootally get it. But now we're so far past the 25th anniversary that it seems like they didn't have anything planned after all. Soooo Square is seriously gonna revive every classic franchise except the one I love? Cue the Michael Jordan gif.

Yall didn't expect all it would take to get me to knock off the memes and in-jokes and start to actually talk about video games was to start mentioning Chrono Trigger, didya? 😂
What was he working on then?

Just finished Dread last night. Great game! Really enjoyed it.

Completion time of 9:04 with 33% items.

Not sure if I want to continue the same save and go for 100%, or jump into a hard mode run.

I've been doing some research on Pokémon that look similar in appearance to the Pokémon discussed in yesterday's Legends of Arceus video, and I think I've found the one that will be announced.

I've been doing some research on Pokémon that look similar in appearance to the Pokémon discussed in yesterday's Legends of Arceus video, and I think I've found the one that will be announced.

Hisuian Purugly would be weird

New Megaton Musashi trailer

What was he working on then?

I’m still leaning towards a Chrono Cross project of some sort. The Nvidia leak had a CC-related item on the list, and Covid has essentially allowed projects to be reshuffled and put on completely new timelines.

Plus, they’ve had 20 years to work on the game. Surely it’s ready by now. 😔

At this point im confident to say that Metroid Dread is more fun than Super Metroid
Oh yeah, it's much more fun. Movement and moment to moment gameplay in general is far better than Super. I'm still not sure if I'd say the world design/map design is better but it's not MUCH worse if it's worse.

Since we're talking about Chrono Trigger, I have to admit it's the game I've tried to play most times but did not complete, it's a hole in my gaming career. The game just kind of loses steam at some point for me, I think the character progression isn't as interesting as other RPGs and I tend to get tired from the excessive backtracking because there isn't any way to fast travel.

I should probably start it once again (probably for the 10th or so time) and finish it once and for all and sell my DS copy before it gets rerelased somewhere and loses all its value.

You all convinced me to retry Chrono trigger. Bought the DS version super cheap five years ago, started it, couldn't get into it. Will try again this evening.
I wish I had enough foresight to buy Chrono Trigger a few years ago. Just the cartridge is almost $100 nowadays!

I've tried several times, but I just could not get into Chrono Trigger. I really do respect it, but I always just end up burning out. Its especially weird since I like a bunch of other jrpg series (Pokemon, SMT, Mother, DQ, Xeno), just not Chrono Trigger.

I've tried several times, but I just could not get into Chrono Trigger. I really do respect it, but I always just end up burning out. Its especially weird since I like a bunch of other jrpg series (Pokemon, SMT, Mother, DQ, Xeno), just not Chrono Trigger.

Same for me. It took me many tries without figuring out what was the problem for me, but I think now it's because of character progression not having enough new abilities that shake up how you play the game, and all the backtracking without fast traveling.

Chrono Trigger is kiiiinda overrated. Like it’s a good game, a great game, but it isn’t better than Final Fantasy 6, Earthbound, Dragon Quest V, etc.
Earthbound, Super Mario RPG et Dragon Quest V are the best SNES/SFC rpgs.

Last edited:
The best part about Chrono Trigger is that it's short (for RPG standards). A playthrough takes like 15-20 hours if you don't go crazy with sidequests (it's not really necessary).

I've officially shifted from Yeah!ing all Metroid posts to Yeah!ing all Chrono posts. Even Cross ones.
I actually really love Cross, gimme remaster

I hope people who like JRPGs have played Dragon Quest V. If you consider yourself a JRPG fan, and haven’t played DQ V, I cannot recommend it highly enough!
There was a long stretch of my life where I considered myself a JRPG Dan but hadn't played FFVI, is that sorta the same thing?

There was a long stretch of my life where I considered myself a JRPG Dan but hadn't played FFVI, is that sorta the same thing?
mmmmm Sort of? I dunno, I feel like not having played DQ V is like.. more understandable. I don’t think less of someone who hasn’t played it or anything. I just think it’s worth people’s time to go track down and play! It’s VERY good.

Forgive me all as I have sinned. I’ve been playing a game these last few days. Worst of all, it’s not even on switch or Nintendo in general

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Back
Top Bottom