• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno if anyone else cares, but k-pop princess and nation's little sister IU's new music video very briefly features a SNES at 0:56 and 2:05 (with customised controllers - they've put gem stickers on them), joining an esteemed group of k-pop music videos to feature Nintendo hardware. This includes NCT U's '90s Love, which has them holding Gamecube controllers at the end of the second verse (not available in the '90s).

Hey all. I think I've stated numerous times in this thread how much I love 3D Mario games, but yeah, 3D Mario games rules.

I dunno if anyone else cares, but k-pop princess and nation's little sister IU's new music video very briefly features a SNES at 0:56 and 2:05 (with customised controllers - they've put gem stickers on them), joining an esteemed group of k-pop music videos to feature Nintendo hardware. This includes NCT U's '90s Love, which has them holding Gamecube controllers at the end of the second verse (not available in the '90s).
Nothing will beat Justin Bieber singing a Christmas song and it suddenly turns into a 3DS commercial.

Things that have been confirmed
  • Pokemon Legends
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Splatoon 3
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
Rumored things
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Fire Emblem

Those all feel like pretty big releases (Especially if you add Mario + Rabbids and Triangle Strategy), so I'm guessing the remaining stuff will be smaller, maybe more unexpected stuff.

• Metroid Prime Remaster - If MP4 is 2023, then I guess 2022 is the best time for this..
  • Random 3DS Port - They've pretty much exhausted the Wii U, so maybe pad the lineup with something from the 3DS
  • Mario & Luigi RPG - No idea who would be making it, but I hope they haven't given up on this series.

Good List. Like others have mentioned, Bayo 3 is scheduled for next year as well. As for what else I think we get this year.

• New IP- Nintendo usually has those every year.
  • 3DS Port- you are right about that. Here's hoping for Kid Icarus!
  • Fire Emblem- Not sure if it will be a new game or remake but I think something Fire Emblem comes next year.
  • Mario/DK- We are getting one of the following games. Not sure which one but I think we get a 3D platformer next October
  • Metroid Prime 1 Remaster- A lot of smoke around this game. Seems like a matter of when.

I love waking up and see Pokemon go horror and Mob Psycho S3 announced.

Its a good day today!

Y'all better vote
im-doing-my-part-serious.gif

Though I couldn't help but notice Famiboards wasn't nominated for "Best Game Community," which kinda sucks but maybe that's not what that category means 🤔

oh phooey, I thought Kirby Crystal Shards was gonna be one of the launch N64 games next week.

I really hope it doesn't take upwards of a year for the other confirmed games to come to the service. I was planning to 100% Kirby for the first time.

oh phooey, I thought Kirby Crystal Shards was gonna be one of the launch N64 games next week.

I really hope it doesn't take upwards of a year for the other confirmed games to come to the service. I was planning to 100% Kirby for the first time.
The price of NSO+EP would be justified if they’d cut it out with the dripfeed.

The Pokémon video is very reminiscent of the nature cam for SwSh. Meaning we will get an excruciating drip feed to showcase one new Pokémon.

The price of NSO+EP would be justified if they’d cut it out with the dripfeed.
I agree, personally. The drip feed is really annoying given it's something many of us already experienced with Wii and WiiU (edit: and I might add wii/wiiu had much more consistent and frequent releases.) Since we're paying for this subscription, I don't understand the trickle.

Plus, it's not like people perceive it as value added when they add new games. Most people just get mad because they dislike the service, even if the games are good. They might as well make it more appealing as an immediate investment by having all the games they can add on there.

It's unfortunate because the games listed as "coming" are a HUGE part of the appeal to me. Majora's Mask, Paper Mario, Kirby and F-Zero are among my favorite N64 games. I really don't want to wait a year+ to play them on Switch.

Now, if they would at least tell us there will be some sort of consistent schedule for additions, that would be something. But right now it's like, a few games every few months. Meaning at this rate it would take 1 year+ to get all the additional games....

I'm excited for Fami's GOTY and Most Anticipated Game voting. So, so much goodness coming our way in 2022.

Something I really appreciate about Metroid Dread as I'm playing it, and this is true of a lot of Nintendo games, it's very grounded in being a video game. Like there are parts where ADAM literally just says to you "You should go look for <Upgrade> to explore further". How the hell does ADAM know what upgrades are on ZDR? Why are there even upgrades for Samus's suit just littered around? Why are essentially the same upgrades found on every planet Samus gets stuck on? It doesn't really make any sense, but it doesn't need to. Video games are not like movies or TV where you want to be convinced that what you are seeing is at least somewhat plausible. This kind of goes along with Samus being mostly silent. Sometimes exposition doesn't make it any more interesting, it's better to just let the game exist as a game and let your imagination fill in the narrative blanks.

(I haven't beaten the game yet, so I hope there isn't some in-universe explanation for everything and I'm embarrassing myself 😂)

muscle memory still brings me back to the old site on accident from time to time and... eeeek that front page

Starting to pull together a list of games I want to play around Christmas holidays - be good to hear what everyone else is planning too, or if any thoughts on the games I'm lining up!

I'm skipping Mario Party as barely played the last release. I'm also not a huge Pokemon fan - I've skipped Let's Go, SwSh and will skip DiPe. I did get Snap and I'll get Legends in Jan, so yea, nothing major on the horizon for the holidays - hence the list !

The Christmas Playlist (so far)

Horizon Chase Turbo - going to save the Senna F1 DLC

Gleylancer - heard good things and it's cheap!

Eastward - already bought, just saving it

Ori & The Will Of The Wisps - already bought, been saving it

Animal Crossing - will dip in and out

Mario Sunshine - abandoned it last December... mostly due to Mario overload after 64, Galaxy, 35, Maker and 3D World, but also because it's infuriating at times.

Lylat Wars - hopefully we will get some more N64 games during Nov and Dec, but I'm going to save Star Fox and only play the other titles at launch.

This isn't a bad list for Holidays at all. Nice mix of smaller and retro.

I'll just be blasting on all the possible multiplayer games with my siblings and their families. Avengers, Animal Crossing, Mario Party Superstars, Grounded.

I know this is on me/a me-problem, but threads like this
were why I didn't want to bother with Era on a larger scale anymore. I hate acquisition topics so, so, sooo much. Man....

Something I really appreciate about Metroid Dread as I'm playing it, and this is true of a lot of Nintendo games, it's very grounded in being a video game. Like there are parts where ADAM literally just says to you "You should go look for <Upgrade> to explore further". How the hell does ADAM know what upgrades are on ZDR? Why are there even upgrades for Samus's suit just littered around? Why are essentially the same upgrades found on every planet Samus gets stuck on? It doesn't really make any sense, but it doesn't need to. Video games are not like movies or TV where you want to be convinced that what you are seeing is at least somewhat plausible. This kind of goes along with Samus being mostly silent. Sometimes exposition doesn't make it any more interesting, it's better to just let the game exist as a game and let your imagination fill in the narrative blanks.

(I haven't beaten the game yet, so I hope there isn't some in-universe explanation for everything and I'm embarrassing myself 😂)
I've been trying for years to figure out how to put this feeling into words. It's like most mainstream games aren't games anymore, they're interactive movies. And even when they do have gameplay loops, studios work so hard to hide them under cinematics and animations and camera angles so it doesn't look like a game, to the point where we now have a generation or two of players who believe stuff like Metroid or old turn-based RPGs or other classic game types are "not real games" because they don't have the fancy realistic sheen. But I love gameyness in games.

Dread is like comfort food for me. A lovely, new, graphically impressive modern game, that plays like a game.

As long as it still has Pikmin Bingo Battle in it. Love me some Bingo Battle.

I was able to preorder 2 packs of Animal Crossing Series 5 amiibo cards at Walmart.

I didn't miss this amiibo rush @_@

I've been trying for years to figure out how to put this feeling into words. It's like most mainstream games aren't games anymore, they're interactive movies. And even when they do have gameplay loops, studios work so hard to hide them under cinematics and animations and camera angles so it doesn't look like a game, to the point where we now have a generation or two of players who believe stuff like Metroid or old turn-based RPGs or other classic game types are "not real games" because they don't have the fancy realistic sheen. But I love gameyness in games.

Dread is like comfort food for me. A lovely, new, graphically impressive modern game, that plays like a game.

Right. This is one of the main reasons I'll always love Nintendo, so much of the rest of the industry takes itself so seriously. They want their games to be more than just a regular ol' video game and, like you say, try to obscure the more gamey elements of it and make it more like an interactive entertainment product. I guess some people enjoy that, but I just want to play a game. I have no problems with a game just being a game and nothing more. Nintendo seems to be one of the only developers left who seem acutely aware that what they are making is essentially a very fancy and entertaining toy, and that it primarily needs to be fun rather than an "experience". I like video games! I don't need video games to trick me to make me think they are serious business and definitely not some silly little toy. After all, this is just a hobby that we all do to fill free time because it's supposed to be fun.

GOTY nominees already coming out and SMT V has not been released yet. Come on!!

And so happy that Metroid is getting nominated. This game deserves a lot of love!

I wonder if the guys from Golden Joystick Awards will include the Animal Crossing expansion to the nominees once it's out. I don't care about Happy Happy Island but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

A couple of things that bother me about some of these cinematic games - first, when they break the 'cinematic' gameplay for a cinematic to tell the story. If it's a cinematic game shouldn't they have moved beyond storytelling through cutscenes? The other is they often completely lack interactivity with the game world. What's the point in spending all this money on pretty looking worlds when there's no gameplay interaction with them? Wind Waker in 2002 has more world interaction than the latest God of War or Horizon. Honestly, they just feel archaic to me.

Good afternoon Nintendo Fami! Anyone planning on picking up Dying Light? I think the physical might be a quite limited run so I might get it even though I have no time to play right now.

So since nothing else is slated for this week now, who else expects Mario Party superstars previews this week?
I was under the impression that since it's a Mario Party game, people already know what to expect, but I hope previews drop for the game. I'd like to see one last board gameplay before the game releases.

I was under the impression that since it's a Mario Party game, people already know what to expect, but I hope previews drop for the game. I'd like to see one last board gameplay before the game releases.
This one has online from launch so there’ll definitely be previews

I really hope Seth Rogan's performance as DK in the Mario Movie is anywhere near as endearing as this.

Also, Angelina Jolie would make a pretty good Samus? Something to keep in mind if Nintendo ever ends up pulling off the Smash Initiative.

Jesus fuck I am in TEARS

God this movie better deliver

I did not see the Blair Pokémon Project coming but I'm here for it.

My thought was Hisiuian Arcanine, but who knows

It turns into a 3DS ad at about 2:00

I should be unsurprised that PopEra also migrated with us, and yet Mariah's time to shine is around the corner (along with Bublé, if we're being honest)

The madlads at TimeSplitters Rewind should be fucking JUMPING at this opportunity

A couple of things that bother me about some of these cinematic games - first, when they break the 'cinematic' gameplay for a cinematic to tell the story. If it's a cinematic game shouldn't they have moved beyond storytelling through cutscenes? The other is they often completely lack interactivity with the game world. What's the point in spending all this money on pretty looking worlds when there's no gameplay interaction with them? Wind Waker in 2002 has more world interaction than the latest God of War or Horizon. Honestly, they just feel archaic to me.
Yesssss. It seems like all the work put into the graphics of the world aren't there to serve the game, rather it's there to try and convince you it isn't a game. You bring up Horizon (I was trying not to 😅), and it's a great example of what I'm talking about. Yeah, I was impressed with the scope and some of the twists were enjoyable and surprising, but I feel like I skipped over probably 80% of the content and game world because there was no reason or incentive provided to seek it out. "No interactivity" is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom