• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I know we’re sick of Switch Pro discussions but I have to say the OLED model pretty much killed off the Hybrid nature of my Switch.

It’s a handheld now - a beautiful one. Only 4K and a new TV could possibly save docked for me now…
Haha this is so true, I used to play about half and half, generally using the tv for big 3D stuff and handheld for indie games, but the OLED is just soooo good as a handheld I can't think of anything coming up that I'd play on the tv. Maaaybe Splatoon 3 for the wired connection and because motion controls are a bit easer with a controller.

I currently play "Drill Dozer" on the WiiU Virtual Console. I really hope they'll bring GBA games to the Switch in the near future. So many great games.

Ys VIII is my top 1 game i ever played. Everything about it is stellar - the story is phenomenal, interesting, keeping you on the edge of the seat, yet no obvious and has several plot twists, the female co protagonist Dana is amazing and best female game character i have ever seen, combat satisfying and my god is the OST one of the BEST, im still listening to it years after i played the game :) Ys IX was amazing, and had nice mystery element, and side characters were better developed... But man, only true ending of Ys VIII has ever made me shed a tears because video game ending (both the ending itself, and not being able to experience this game first time ever again). I cannot recommend it enough!

EDIT: Also about OST, you know other games final boss OST which are hype as hell? Here its first zone level of OST. And it only keeps getting better :) Sad OST makes you somber and almost cry, happy OST makes you smile, Boss fights OST makes your blood rush dramatically, and last ending OST makes you cry... a lot.
This game has caught my eye before it even released on the Switch. I remember when they were doing the pre-release marketing of fans being able to vote for which cover was going to be the official cover of the game. I voted. Unfortunately, I think the most generic cover was picked (still a really good cover mind you!).

...The point being, for some reason or another, I never picked up this game. I think it is mostly because I wouldn't call myself a JRPG megafan, and the game is almost never on sale. And now that it goes on sale more often, there's so much more Switch games to play then when it first launched!

But I'll definitely get to it sometime. It looks really cool, and from what I understand is probably the best modern YS entry.

I currently play "Drill Dozer" on the WiiU Virtual Console. I really hope they'll bring GBA games to the Switch in the near future. So many great games.
Man, Drill Dozer was such a fun and inventive little game from Gamefreak. I've still got my original cart lying around somewhere, I should replay it sometime.

I dont think I've played a game that feels better than Dread, the movement is so fluid and the variety of traversal options is second to none. MercurySteam's animators are absolutely unbelievable.
I still love Fusion but I'll be hard pressed to say what my favourite 2D Metroid is from now on.

I think I’m about halfway through Dread and it would have to take a serious dip in the second half for me to say that it’s not the best Metroid I’ve played (1-4 and a bit of Prime 1). Absolutely amazing. Looking like the GOTY for me.

Haha this is so true, I used to play about half and half, generally using the tv for big 3D stuff and handheld for indie games, but the OLED is just soooo good as a handheld I can't think of anything coming up that I'd play on the tv. Maaaybe Splatoon 3 for the wired connection and because motion controls are a bit easer with a controller.

Same for Splatoon 3.

2 is unplayable in handheld for me - I need the Pro Controller and Gyro.

I finally beat Atelier Ryza last night. It was a good game. I’m probably not gonna jump into the sequel for a few months though. Gonna play some Cruis’n Blast today while I wait for Target to finally get Metroid to me (tomorrow…).

Same. Always amazed by people telling me they're playing it handheld with gyro. Like ... how?! haha
I can't, I'm useless in Splatoon when undocked.

Trying to use Gyro in handheld be like

nitrous-chair.gif

How are the joycons for the Oled?

Except the off-white color I didn’t noticed any changes. I dismantled the neon ones to put them into grey shells and they look identical to the Fortnite Edition Joy Con I dismantled earlier.
However you can’t really look into the analog sticks to see if they have improved the drift issue.

Except the off-white color I didn’t noticed any changes. I dismantled the neon ones to put them into grey shells and they look identical to the Fortnite Edition Joy Con I dismantled earlier.
However you can’t really look into the analog sticks to see if they have improved the drift issue.
According to I believe Digital Foundry the rails are better so you don't get the wobbling/squeaking or joycons disconnecting as much. Have you noticed anything like that?

Damn that makes too much sense.
The hate for femininity is some real stuff. I remember when Breath of the Wild was revealed and there were Brazilian youtubers or accounts commenting that I used to follow back then that were saying stuff like "why don't we get Link as a full adult with a beard?" "why can't we have Zelda looking like The Witcher 3?". I got so bothered back then because Zelda is all about growing up, living childhood and adolescence, why does everything need to be goreful or have sexual stuff? If it's not aimed at 18+ it's not good?
Not only this but gender norms in which every male character has to be hyper masculine and manly looking and every woman is either fragile or ultra sexualized.
I also love how JoJo basically laughs at this hegemonic masculinity and people that criticizes cute or feminine looking characters by making the protagonist super disproportionately muscular and masc.

The whole hate against kawaii stuff and idol culture also has that big boy stink to it.

Aspects of a Long Weekend RANKED best to worst:

1) The Short Work Week! Oops, 4 day work weeks should be the new norm. Eidos Montreal was right!

2) The Extra Day Off! Yay, a whole extra day to do stuff! Or do nothing! It’s your day, do what you want!

There is a big gap here

3) the Tuesday morning after a Monday off is worse than any Monday that will ever happen to you

Gyro in Splatoon, yeah
Gyro in something like BotW? Works pretty well, even for me! ^^

You can tweak the gyro in Splatoon specifically for handheld mode. It works really well for me. I have no problem moving from docked to portable.

But you can also play tabletop, so you can experience that OLED and not feel overwhelmed by the screen movement.

I don't think people hate japanese high schoolers specifically as much as they feel uncomfortable playing a game where dating plays a big role and you're doing it with underage girls. It makes sense that Persona moves on to older characters because it would make it a lot less problematic.

I don't think anyone will be bothered by the main cast of SMTV being high schoolers for example because romance won't be an element (unless there's sexualization).

I think the issue here, is the primary intended audience in Japan vs the west. Not just persona, but many games in general over there and that is something many westerners have an issue grappling with.

And Japan seems to have many cultural issues regarding societal expectations once you reach a certain age, and I suspect many creatives like writing from a teenage perspective as a way to break free of conventions, especially in an every rising aging landscape, while using it as a mean to reminisce about their own youth. Especially on what my people see as a highly repressed society on various levels.

At least that’s what I’ve always gotten from it.

Persona 4, an rpg I just love, it was special to me. And I think one of the reasons for it is that I really became absorbed and connected with me because as a now boring adult with adult responsibilities, it really made me feel like a young adult again while I was playing it - minus demons and hi-jinx lol

Now criticism is fine, but it gets to the point where at times it can come off as xenophobic or at least condescending.

Example, when I see people relieved or applauding that they’re westernizing character designs.

Or when they say that it’s a global market so they need to change and adapt to their biggest markets and appeal more to western sensibilities.

Why? Sure people may say from a business perspective, but I have no financial stake in any of these companies so I can care less about that. There’s things I love about western style rpgs and things I love about Japanese style rpgs. I like having both options.

I will continue to give spoiler free impressions of Dread as my mind decompresses from what was the best 7 hours and 56 minutes of my life. Hundo percent of course... I needed it...
Boz, ever since I finished Dread I've been dying to know what you think about
the Metroid Suit

Ah i see we‘re discussing “anime games featuring high schools” now. Sorry, I’m just catching up with the last page or so. I barely check this beautiful thread on weekends!

I have thoughts

1) I love persona 4 a lot

2) I kinda hate persona 5

3) Lost Judgment (I have not finished this yet so I reserve the right to change my mind on this) is one of the best games I’ve ever played (it might be better than Yakuza 0 and anyone who knows me at all will know that this is not a light statement) and takes places in and around a Japanese high school and actually, weirdly enough, gives you a more nuanced, meticulous window into a japanese high school’s daily goings on than any persona game could ever dream of doing

4) make sure you’re not “monoltihizing“ a whole nation when you’re both criticizing and discussing criticism of fiction works from a particular country. Japan has a lot of different people with different tastes! Writing off criticism with “the target audience is Japan” is a) usually wrong with modern games as Japan’s home console market isn’t big enough to support AAA video game development so Japanese games have to be made, at least to some degree, with a western audience in mind if they have any dreams of recouping dev costs and b) assuming everyone in Japan thinks the same way and likes the same things.

The crux of it is that fundamentally Persona is Young Adult fiction, aimed at Teen boys as the primary demographic.

There is a bunch of problematic stuff in the games but generally being about teenagers who date other teenagers isn't really one of them.

I think the reason Anime High School games aren’t appreciated much in the West is because westerners can’t relate to the characters because they aren’t Japanese High Schoolers. It’s why they love games like Mario, because all westerners are physically impossible pseudo-Italian men

I can only imagine how fucking weird if instead of anime-like and cell shading they had chosen to remake Xenoblade into realistic characters and shaders. I mean I don't even have an image in my head of Shulk looking realistic. In the original game he didn't and was polygonal and with a blurry texture lol. Imagine if they made those human Mario fan arts into Odyssey. Same energy really.
Fun fact, XBC1 didn’t even have a character designer, they made the outfits then just free created characters(X had one, 2 had 30, they did a bunch of collab s they let the artists go wild on though the main villains were all Nomura)

make sure you’re not “monoltihizing“ a whole nation when you’re both criticizing and discussing criticism of fiction works from a particular country. Japan has a lot of different people with different tastes! Writing off criticism with “the target audience is Japan” is a) usually wrong with modern games as Japan’s home console market isn’t big enough to support AAA video game development so Japanese games have to be made, at least to some degree, with a western audience in mind if they have any dreams of recouping dev costs and b) assuming everyone in Japan thinks the same way and likes the same things.
This 100% , no culture/country is a monolith , and one shouldn’t over generalize that this is “aimed at japan” as a reason some criticisms about certain media should go unheard . that said yes a lot of generalized takes about “anime” are sinophobic often .

Another thing I would like to brush in all this and doesn’t come up as much is , “The West” isn’t a monolith either and it’s somewhat of a colonialist lens to see it as such. It’s why i get very irate often when folks use data from the uk and extrapolate it to market trends and tastes of “western gaming” worldwide , when even just the tastes of the uk and france are clearly widely different. let alone the differences in interests , lived experiences and culture of folks on different sides of the atlantic , across the rest of europe or even just between texas and florida .

Japanese people only want one thing and it's fucking disgusting

survive the climate change apocalypse like the rest uf us

1) I love persona 4 a lot

2) I kinda hate persona 5
I haven't met too many folks that share my/this opinion, so I'm glad to see someone with a similar stance when it comes to these two games. I'm curious, though, if you don't mind: why do you like P4, but dislike P5?

P4 isn't even in my top 3 in the series and it's the entry I struggle with the most for its poor handling of queer characters panic even though people often let it slide. I like it well enough though and would buy a Switch port because I'm a dumb idiot.

The crux of it is that fundamentally Persona is Young Adult fiction, aimed at Teen boys as the primary demographic.

There is a bunch of problematic stuff in the games but generally being about teenagers who date other teenagers isn't really one of them.

Good point. Building on this, there's also a distinction to be made between "Teenagers dating is disgusting" and "Maybe I'm past the point in my life where young adult stuff appeals to me". I fall into the second group but I don't have have anything against games, books and music with this theming per se, given that there isn't sexualisation etc. (which is hardly an anime-only problem in media...).

I'm not the target group ≠ this is not good. The big but! is that this distinction is rarely made by gamers™.

Ahctually, the correct term is "Japanese-style people" and was first coined back in the 80s to differentiate them when there weren't that many people and Westerners started making their own.

Good point. Building on this, there's also a distinction to be made between "Teenagers dating is disgusting" and "Maybe I'm past the point in my life where young adult stuff appeals to me". I fall into the second group but I don't have have anything against games, books and music with this theming per se, given that there isn't sexualisation etc. (which is hardly an anime-only problem in media...).

I'm not the target group ≠ this is not good. The big but! is that this distinction is rarely made by gamers™.

Pretty much.

It's not got anything to do with being Japanese either because Riverdale is a thing that exists...

Dread is finished, and now its backlog time for the rest of the year since there's no more purchases for me.

What a game that was, huh?
I'm close to the end and had a weird realization that there's nothing else I'm interested in that has a release date yet. So after months of waiting and looking forward to October for Dread, it's about to be backlog time indefinitely.
Luckily my backlog ain't exactly small.

I will continue to give spoiler free impressions of Dread as my mind decompresses from what was the best 7 hours and 56 minutes of my life. Hundo percent of course... I needed it...
I'm over 10 hours in and have only just barely reached what I think is the final area, and I'm at like 60%. And I have been trying to collect everything I can find. I'm impressed, but I guess I should've expected nothing less from the person whose avatar has been about Metroid since before I began lurking.

Yeah game is incredible. It's my #2 Metroid but is easily my favorite Switch game and is honestly probably my favorite game over the last few console generations. It's too good.

I can only imagine how fucking weird if instead of anime-like and cell shading they had chosen to remake Xenoblade into realistic characters and shaders. I mean I don't even have an image in my head of Shulk looking realistic. In the original game he didn't and was polygonal and with a blurry texture lol. Imagine if they made those human Mario fan arts into Odyssey. Same energy really.
You don't have to imagine, Xenosaga 2 did exactly this back in the day because Namco thought westerners would prefer it like that. Spoiler: they immediately went back to anime for the next game.

At the final boss. Holy shit.

Decided to go back and clear the rest of the map with my new Screw Attack and Gravity Suit abilities.

We really have something special on our hands with this game, don't we.

Edit: embarrassing misuse of spoiler tags... and I call myself a developer...

I'm over 10 hours in and have only just barely reached what I think is the final area, and I'm at like 60%. And I have been trying to collect everything I can find. I'm impressed, but I guess I should've expected nothing less from the person whose avatar has been about Metroid since before I began lurking.
I got to the final boss with 41% at about 5:51, got my ass absolutely handed to me so went for a quick hoover up. Looking forward to a lower percent/sub 4 run now I know what I'm doing 😂
Yeah game is incredible. It's my #2 Metroid but is easily my favorite Switch game and is honestly probably my favorite game over the last few console generations. It's too good.
Honestly can't remember the last time a game gave me this feeling

I don’t know how anyone is finishing dread in 10 hrs, I’m at 7 hrs and 30 mins and my item % is only 30, maybe im close to the end even with low items?
If I hadn't spent so much time backtracking and hunting for items every time I got a new ability, I'd probably have been closer to your time. There are a LOT of hidden items and rooms (and the shinespark puzzles, my god.)

Oh, for some reason MS let me claim a month of Game Pass Ultimate for 1 dollar. I'm pretty sure I already got it, so this is a surprise. I need check what games I want play this month 👀

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom