• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to assist! Always a good time watching Futurama (unless it's one of them sad episodes that make you wallow in your feels for an ungodly amount of time)
I’ll have plenty of time to watch tv since I can’t do much gaming for a while so I wouldn’t mind rewatching futarama

It’s good to know witch from mercury is sticking to Gundam tradition
unknown.png

So New Horizons now has cloud save, right? I ask because I might buy a new SD Card and I don't want to compromise anything by deleting/redownloading.

So New Horizons now has cloud save, right? I ask because I might buy a new SD Card and I don't want to compromise anything by deleting/redownloading.
The save should be on system memory anyway. I went from digital to physical when I got the GameStop price error. No issues deleting the digital version and having the save. It does have cloud save but it’s not as instant as the other games. It’s done at certain points when you play. If you save and exit though you should be fine.

From an old thread of mine. My idea for a new Star Fox.

star-fox-zero.jpg

Story

A Star Fox team comprising of James McCloud, Peppy Hare & Pigma Dengar look to take down exiled Corneria scientist Andross & his evil forces who have launched assaults across the Lylat system. Intelligence from General Pepper has it that they are looking to steal materials for a new devastating biotech weapon which must be destroyed at all costs.

Gameplay

The game is a celebration of all the classic shoot 'em up styles over the last several decades.

Stages can be one of the below types, with some stages even having a combination of 2 or 3 different play styles -

Arwing - Classic gameplay

R5aIynm.gif

Arwing - All Range Mode gameplay

BlackandwhiteNewAmoeba-size_restricted.gif

Arwing - R-Type style gameplay

2mqa9gyydilz.gif

Arwing - Ikaruga style gameplay

GoodnaturedBackCatfish-max-1mb.gif

Landmaster - Classic gameplay

f57d0e256afd8d993c7615d4d499e0ecef671437_hq.gif

On foot - Sin & Punishment style gameplay

mGOerL.gif

The Hub

The hub stage is The Great Fox. From here you can select your next mission, upgrade/customise your Arwing, Landmaster or jet pack, and even take part in different training simulation tasks to get you used to the different shoot 'em up play styles.

Structure

As mercenaries you must choose to take on different missions from the Lylat system map.

Some planets may need your help driving out Andross' forces, while other groups may want you as assistance as they look to take over huge enemy space craft carrying fuel and weapons.

The game starts with the option of 3 different assignments. These range from easy to medium and hard. You will receive a larger payment fee for completing harder stages which give you access to some very cool craft upgrades.

To finish the game you must complete at least one easy, medium or hard stage from the 7 different sectors of the Lylat system.

You are free to choose a mission of any difficulty level from each sector meaning future paths through the game can be totally different than the last. Technically this was the case in Star Fox 64 but now you can choose your path/mission more freely.

Finale

The final sector sees the Star Fox team arrive at Venom. The stage is a mix of multiple play styles. You must travel across Venom in the Landmaster before arriving at Andross' secret lab base. From here you must make your through the base on foot and set off the self destruct sequence. After escaping from the base you are confronted by Andross and his new biotech weapon. You must take to your Arwing and take it down.

Full ending

Complete the hard version of Venom to get a final sequence where Pigma turns on the Star Fox team during the final battle. Peppy escapes but James is presumed lost during the explosion when the biotech weapon is destroyed.

Summary

The main difference from past Star Fox games is the introduction of different shoot’em up styles such as those found in games like R-Type and Ikaruga. ‘On foot’ stages would play out like those found in Sin & Punishment so that the game retained that classic rail shooter feel.

As mercenaries, the fee you obtain for completing each mission would also allow you to amend your craft. You’d be able to buy stronger lasers and more durable wings. Perhaps your Arwing could end up looking more like the ones found in Star Fox Assault depending on which parts you purchased.

The option to choose any level from each sector is also important. I’ve read so many impressions from people who loved Star Fox 64 but never knew how to unlock or weren’t skilled enough to even try out some stages. Being able to choose your mission should lead to so many varied playthroughs as well.

Ok done with my kit for now. Time for some anime and ice cream then I’m going to jump back into xbc3 I think

IMG_5703.jpg

And for scale here’s a standard HG

IMG_5704.jpg

Still have to build the axe, wings and extra hands

Was sitting here feeding my baby, thinking about Pac-Pooch from Pac-Man, as one does.

Then I somehow transitioned to thinking about Poochyena and realized the name was a portmanteau of “pooch” and “hyena”. Honestly blew my mind. How can I be so dumb?

From an old thread of mine. My idea for a new Star Fox.

star-fox-zero.jpg

Story

A Star Fox team comprising of James McCloud, Peppy Hare & Pigma Dengar look to take down exiled Corneria scientist Andross & his evil forces who have launched assaults across the Lylat system. Intelligence from General Pepper has it that they are looking to steal materials for a new devastating biotech weapon which must be destroyed at all costs.

Gameplay

The game is a celebration of all the classic shoot 'em up styles over the last several decades.

Stages can be one of the below types, with some stages even having a combination of 2 or 3 different play styles -

Arwing - Classic gameplay

R5aIynm.gif

Arwing - All Range Mode gameplay

BlackandwhiteNewAmoeba-size_restricted.gif

Arwing - R-Type style gameplay

2mqa9gyydilz.gif

Arwing - Ikaruga style gameplay

GoodnaturedBackCatfish-max-1mb.gif

Landmaster - Classic gameplay

f57d0e256afd8d993c7615d4d499e0ecef671437_hq.gif

On foot - Sin & Punishment style gameplay

mGOerL.gif

The Hub

The hub stage is The Great Fox. From here you can select your next mission, upgrade/customise your Arwing, Landmaster or jet pack, and even take part in different training simulation tasks to get you used to the different shoot 'em up play styles.

Structure

As mercenaries you must choose to take on different missions from the Lylat system map.

Some planets may need your help driving out Andross' forces, while other groups may want you as assistance as they look to take over huge enemy space craft carrying fuel and weapons.

The game starts with the option of 3 different assignments. These range from easy to medium and hard. You will receive a larger payment fee for completing harder stages which give you access to some very cool craft upgrades.

To finish the game you must complete at least one easy, medium or hard stage from the 7 different sectors of the Lylat system.

You are free to choose a mission of any difficulty level from each sector meaning future paths through the game can be totally different than the last. Technically this was the case in Star Fox 64 but now you can choose your path/mission more freely.

Finale

The final sector sees the Star Fox team arrive at Venom. The stage is a mix of multiple play styles. You must travel across Venom in the Landmaster before arriving at Andross' secret lab base. From here you must make your through the base on foot and set off the self destruct sequence. After escaping from the base you are confronted by Andross and his new biotech weapon. You must take to your Arwing and take it down.

Full ending

Complete the hard version of Venom to get a final sequence where Pigma turns on the Star Fox team during the final battle. Peppy escapes but James is presumed lost during the explosion when the biotech weapon is destroyed.

Summary

The main difference from past Star Fox games is the introduction of different shoot’em up styles such as those found in games like R-Type and Ikaruga. ‘On foot’ stages would play out like those found in Sin & Punishment so that the game retained that classic rail shooter feel.

As mercenaries, the fee you obtain for completing each mission would also allow you to amend your craft. You’d be able to buy stronger lasers and more durable wings. Perhaps your Arwing could end up looking more like the ones found in Star Fox Assault depending on which parts you purchased.

The option to choose any level from each sector is also important. I’ve read so many impressions from people who loved Star Fox 64 but never knew how to unlock or weren’t skilled enough to even try out some stages. Being able to choose your mission should lead to so many varied playthroughs as well.
Fantastic.

You know what that gameplay style mix reminds me of, is Nier Automata. Which I would be so down for.

Actually, Platinum made Automata and now with Bayo 3 assumedly done, are they available? I mean just imagine a StarFox game made by Platinum. 🤩

Read a post from 2014 that said that the younger generation will grow up on stuff like GTA and Tekken, instead of kid’s stuff like Nintendo.

Well, the most popular games of this generation are Minecraft and Fortnite, which are bright, colorful games like Nintendo.

Uh oh. I’m getting the itch to do another BotW playthrough. I am planning on getting through Master Mode before the sequel comes out. Not sure when I should start though.

Read a post from 2014 that said that the younger generation will grow up on stuff like GTA and Tekken, instead of kid’s stuff like Nintendo.

Well, the most popular games of this generation are Minecraft and Fortnite, which are bright, colorful games like Nintendo.
Tekken’s been around for 28 years. And I don’t see many kids talking about it. What a weird thing to say. Kids still do play Nintendo though afaik.

Continuing my nuTomb Raider trilogy playthrough, just started Shadow and another thing that's really fucking weird is how these games keep throwing Lara into situations where she has to kill animals in the most gruesome way possible. It's almost like the game revels in it.

Continuing my nuTomb Raider trilogy playthrough, just started Shadow and another thing that's really fucking weird is how these games keep throwing Lara into situations where she has to kill animals in the most gruesome way possible. It's almost like the game revels in it.

I mean yeah. The Tomb Raider reboot was marketed as a more survival, wo(man) vs. wild series compared to the original. Tomb Raider 2013 was notorious for the amount of ways Lara could brutally kill people and get brutally killed herself.

I mean yeah. The Tomb Raider reboot was marketed as a more survival, wo(man) vs. wild series compared to the original. Tomb Raider 2013 was notorious for the amount of ways Lara could brutally kill people and get brutally killed herself.
I’ve had these games for in my backlog for the longest time, but man, that just does not sound appealing to me at all. Like, the exact opposite of what I want in a game.

I’ve had these games for in my backlog for the longest time, but man, that just does not sound appealing to me at all. Like, the exact opposite of what I want in a game.

They toned it down for the second game. I haven't played the third. They're still more violent though than the OG series.

Platinum made the levels and graphical assets. The Gamepad controls and rough structure was all Nintendo.
Ah. Yeah, the gamepad controls were the only thing I had any issue with. I quite liked everything else.

And I know, yeah, the way you interact with the game is a BIGGIE, but like if they did a remaster for Switch with the mandatory cockpit controls removed, I'd love it.

The sad part is that the big levels have an almost Zelda-like structure to them and the second one added tombs which are basically mini-dungeons. I really think the people who handled the level design did some great work here and it's what keeps me playing but the rest is really weak.

Yeah the only bit of that game I've seen was from a Conan O'Brian segment where he spent half the time shouting in horror at all the really fucked up ways Lara kept dying. And I was like "yeah, nah"

Ah. Yeah, the gamepad controls were the only thing I had any issue with. I quite liked everything else.

And I know, yeah, the way you interact with the game is a BIGGIE, but like if they did a remaster for Switch with the mandatory cockpit controls removed, I'd love it.
It’d probably be a lot of work to redo it properly since so much of the design hinges on it, but if they could rework it there’s some cool stuff for sure. I do think the effort is better spent on a brand new game though.

Returning to the Mass Effect 2 remaster. I did the suicide mission a couple of months ago, but still had the Overlord, Shadow Broker, Firewalker and Arrival DLCs to do.

Doing Overlord today and Shadow Broker probably next weekend. Cba with the other two.

I've said it before but Nintendo should find those super high definition assets they created for Star Fox Zero that sadly fell behind the sofa and make a free 4v4 multiplayer game for NSO members.

I've said it before but Nintendo should find those super high definition assets they created for Star Fox Zero that sadly fell behind the sofa and make a free 4v4 multiplayer game for NSO members.
We really need Star Fox multiplayer brought back. Shame the only online multiplayer we ever got for it was Command with its less than ideal touch controls.

It’d probably be a lot of work to redo it properly since so much of the design hinges on it, but if they could rework it there’s some cool stuff for sure. I do think the effort is better spent on a brand new game though.
I agree. Probably wasn't clear but with that what-if scenario I was trying to illustrate that I think the content of the game is great if you look at it separately from the control issue. But I get that the design works around the controls, and an entirely new game would probably be smarter than trying to "fix" it for single screen gameplay.

Maybe they could repurpose a lot of the assets from it into something new?

Man I keep having such grandiose ideas for my game but I need to keep reminding myself it's supposed to be a relatively simple thing I can realistically finish.

Not every game needs wacky genre changing nonsense near the endgame right?

I agree. Probably wasn't clear but with that what-if scenario I was trying to illustrate that I think the content of the game is great if you look at it separately from the control issue. But I get that the design works around the controls, and an entirely new game would probably be smarter than trying to "fix" it for single screen gameplay.

Maybe they could repurpose a lot of the assets from it into something new?
Yeah that would be a good idea. Zero wasn’t an across the board looker, but it looked good enough still. I was debating to say a Zero 2 would be a decent enough way to go if that’s what it takes to make it happen.

We really need Star Fox multiplayer brought back. Shame the only online multiplayer we ever got for it was Command with its less than ideal touch controls.
It was baffling to me at the time that they didn't at least have online-multiplayer in Zero, especially since the dogfights were more involved than ever before.

Not that you'd have found many people playing but still.

It was baffling to me at the time that they didn't at least have online-multiplayer in Zero, especially since the dogfights were more involved than ever before.

I’m guessing the main reasoning was we can’t have local multiplayer given the controls so why bother developing online that will expire sooner than later. Missed opportunity for sure.

Nintendo was afraid that I would be too dominate in online dogfights that it would scare everyone from playing online games ever again. #gamer

Nintendo was afraid that I would be too dominate in online dogfights that it would scare everyone from playing online games ever again. #gamer
Everytime I see the word "gamer" now my head goes to the bottom of that gamer Joker image that says
DONT. MESS. WITH. US.

i gotta find a new word for people who enjoy video games

Star Fox Zero looked nice and clean, I guess, especially the main ship models, and there was something satisfying about the giant lasers from what I remember. But yeah, definitely not pushing the boat.

Iirc, visually it was held back a little because of targeting 60fps but also because of the demands of needing to be able to generate two different perspectives at the same time during gameplay? The compressed development time also suggests it likely wasn't a particularly big budget effort. Hopefully Star Fox on Switch/Drake benefits from the fact Nintendo don't need to rush games and the fact that they're filthy stinking rich and only getting richer.

If you game a lot, you're known as a gamer.
I like games, but I just don't want to ever be referred to as a "gamer". I hope they just call me "a guy who likes games."

If you game a lot, you're known as a gamer.
I like games, but I just don't want to ever be referred to as a "gamer". I hope they just call me "a guy who likes games."
A student asked me if I was a gamer the other day. They were genuine and very excited. Had to swallow my pride and say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom