• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Mario Wonder (EPD 10) and WarioWare (IS/EPD 6) are easy to guess, but the other ones seem like complete mysteries for now.

Pikmin 1 + 2 look like straight up ports of the Wii versions with the original controls added back in as an option. EPD could have done that in-house, but seeing as Pikmin 4 may have been externally developed, it's hard to tell.

I would say the same with Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and NLG. I know Grezzo did the 3DS port of the first game, but this looked like another up-res.

Mario RPG could honestly be from any Nintendo or Square affiliate with an open schedule in the last few years. I don't think it was done in-house by either, though.

We barely saw anything of that Peach game. Maybe TOSE will be the primary developer for a Nintendo game for the first time since Starfy 5? Maybe ND Cube is branching out a bit?

Last edited:
saw someone on twitter say the Peach game looked Next Level Games-y and I have to agree based on the visuals

Mario Wonder (EPD 10) and WarioWare (IS/EPD 6) are easy to guess, but the other ones seem like complete mysteries for now.

Pikmin 1 + 2 look like straight up ports of the Wii versions with the original controls added back in as an option. EPD could have done that in-house, but seeing as Pikmin 4 may have been externally developed, it's hard to tell.

I would say the same with Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and NLG. I know Grezzo did the 3DS port of the first game, but this looked like another up-res.

Mario RPG could honestly be from any Nintendo or Square affiliate with an open schedule in the last few years. I don't think it was done in-house by either, though.

We barely saw anything of that Peach game. Maybe TOSE will be the primary developer for a Nintendo game for the first time since Starfy 5? Maybe ND Cube is branching out a bit?

Super Mario Wonder: EPD Production Group No. 10
Pikmin 1/2: Could be barebones EPD port or Eighting
Pikmnin 4: Could be Eighting/Good-Feel...
Mario RPG: Hard to imagine it's not a Nintendo subcontractor. I don't think Monolith or Grezzo would be crazy.
Princess Peach: Could be Good-Feel? Probably not Tose since they don't really house creative leads -- mainly subcontractors now. Imagine it was the 2D Tokyo game we linked to Donkey Kong?
Luigi Dark Moon: Next Level Filler game before Switch 2. But could also be Grezzo again.
WarioWare: EPD6/GoroAbe and IS again.

Purely vibes-based speculation, I'm thinking the Peach game is the Like A Dragon to Paper Mario's Yakuza. A 2024 release would align with Paper Mario's development cycle, and Game Informer seems to think that it looks like a Mario RPG. Would mean one less developer doing a Marioverse game in a Mario-heavy stretch and would let Int Sys sidestep the current grievances with Paper Mario by letting them shift more towards the adventure game elements.

Is this the samurai game Good Feel teased years ago?:

Yup! By Good Feel! Called Mametanuki no Buckel ~ Festival of Oracle Festival Taro!

Last edited:
I would guess that SMRPGR is either done by Square Enix or subcontracted out by Square Enix
Super mario rpg is a first party published by nintendo, according to their website

Mario RPG - Grezzo or NDCUBE
Peach RPG - Intelligent Systems or Good Feel
Pikmin 4 - Good Feel or in House
PIkmin 1 + 2 - NERD (edit: confirmed)

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I think that if Good Feel is involved in Pikmin 4 I don't think it's anything really major. The engine choice says otherwise though. I totally expect it to be mainly in house + that Yuji Kando and Shigefumi Hino are Directors.

Kando was credited as a Chief Director of Pikmin 3 Deluxe so he still works at Nintendo.

Super mario rpg is a first party published by nintendo, according to their website

Square Enix is still listed as the copyright holder. I imagine this is something akin to Bayonetta, where Nintendo licenses the characters from Square Enix, yet funds all production and publishing.

Last edited:
Square Enix is still listed as the copyright holder. I imagine this is something akin to Bayonetta, where Nintendo licenses the characters from Square Enix and funds all production and publishing.
aye, all the original characters are owned by SE. probably the original worlds and stuff too

So, who do we think is developing the Super Mario RPG remake that was announced in todays Direct?
I'm leaning towards Grezzo! I know they've got their Apple Arcade game, but maybe they can develop multiple projects at once!
Bamco? Haven't we been waiting a couple years for "Untitled Nintendo 3D Remake" from them?

I think Masamichi Abe works under NOA more than NST now. He probably directed the game as a liaison for NTD which is tied to the hip with Japan tech team and NERD.

Is it completely crazy to imagine that Tokyo is actually taking care of the new 2D Mario, and that the new DK is actually the game that group number 10 is working on? I don’t know, a lot of things during Wonder’s announcement reminded me of group number 8.

We have nothing in September except the Pikmin remasters and nothing in August either, it may not be too late for shadow drop of f-zero eou prime remaster 1 and 2?

Very curious to know if the famous remake Namco was working on is Mario RPG.

2G3H8jD.png

looks like its reusing luigi mansion 3 water,its probably NLG

Is it completely crazy to imagine that Tokyo is actually taking care of the new 2D Mario, and that the new DK is actually the game that group number 10 is working on? I don’t know, a lot of things during Wonder’s announcement reminded me of group number 8.

We have nothing in September except the Pikmin remasters and nothing in August either, it may not be too late for shadow drop of f-zero eou prime remaster 1 and 2?

Very curious to know if the famous remake Namco was working on is Mario RPG.
Wonder gives far more NSMBU vibes than 3D World/Odyssey. It just seems like they were given freedom to go off-model. If it were the 3D World team, it'd be far more static whereas Wonder definitely has a sense of Rhythm

Sounds a bit unlikely, but if that's the case then I think it's a good choice for NDCube to break from the party games they're known for.

Wonder gives far more NSMBU vibes than 3D World/Odyssey. It just seems like they were given freedom to go off-model. If it were the 3D World team, it'd be far more static whereas Wonder definitely has a sense of Rhythm
I mean, it's probably EPD 10, logically speaking. But there's something very EPD 8 about the visual atmosphere and the level design, I think. The sense of rhythm you speak of, for example, is what most defines DK Jungle Beat, the studio's first game.
Doubtful it was Bamco working on Super Mario Rpg considering the hiring description for the project in question was for an action game.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...-be-remastering-a-3d-action-game-for-nintendo
The definition of an action game can be extremely broad, but that's also what I tell myself to reassure myself. Kid Icarus Uprising HD is clearly the remaster I want most.

Could Super Mario RPG be Arzest? They have worked with both Nintendo and Square-Enix in the past and several of the Alpha Dream vets who migrated to Arzest may have worked on the SNES original title.

Super Mario Wonder: EPD Production Group No. 10
Pikmin 1/2: Could be barebones EPD port or Eighting
Pikmnin 4: Could be Eighting/Good-Feel...
Mario RPG: Hard to imagine it's not a Nintendo subcontractor. I don't think Monolith or Grezzo would be crazy.
Princess Peach: Could be Good-Feel? Probably not Tose since they don't really house creative leads -- mainly subcontractors now. Imagine it was the 2D Tokyo game we linked to Donkey Kong?
Luigi Dark Moon: Next Level Filler game before Switch 2. But could also be Grezzo again.
WarioWare: EPD6/GoroAbe and IS again.
Super Mario Wonder: EPD 10.
Pikmin 1/2: Eighting
Pikmin 4: EPD 10
Super Mario RPG: must be Square Enix
Princess Peach game: EPD 8?
Luigi Mansion Dark Moon: Next Level games or Grezzo
WarioWare Move it!: Intelligent System/EPD 6

Looks like it Pikmin 1\2 was an in-house port (Nintendo Porting Technology Team? with asssitance from NERD.

What’s odd is that it was an EPD 2 managed project, not EPD 10 like Pikmin 3 Deluxe. Did Masamichi Abe move back to Japan?
Isn't it weird that there is no one from EPD10 there? Like Tezuka/Kimura as a Producer or Kando/Hino Directors? Even the Skyward Sword HD had a EPD3 staff. I wonder if it means that Pikmin 4 is really heavily outsourced and perhaps moved to EPD2.

Isn't it weird that there is no one from EPD10 there? Like Tezuka/Kimura as a Producer or Kando/Hino Directors? Even the Skyward Sword HD had a EPD3 staff. I wonder if it means that Pikmin 4 is really heavily outsourced and perhaps moved to EPD2.
Kando will probably still be director. He's even given a special thanks credit in both ports, along with Pikmin 3 art director Keisuke Nishimori. But the fact these were managed by EPD 2 despite being so simple (it looks like no visual work was done at all besides replacing the licensed objects in Pikmin 2 and cleaning up some cutscenes) would add support for Good Feel being the primary developer of Pikmin 4.

Maybe someone in the press should ask who's making all these games like they did for Mario Strikers.

Last edited:
Whenever Nintendo outsources a IP I get the impression that the developers have to work within parameters set by Nintendo and/or showcase much more restraint with regards to overhauling systems than internal developers. Pikmin 4 has introduced so many new elements (progression mechanics, Pikmin types, avatar creation) that it would really suprise me it the reigns were given to another studio completely. Pikmin recently got a character portal website so it seems like Nintendo is really committed to positioning it as the internal IP that's given the most priority after the Big Four.

nintendo.com/jp/character/pikmin/index.html

Another question is whether Good-Feel or Eighting have enough staff for a 3D action game in this day and age, both have less than 250 employees, along with presumably multiple active projects they work on. That Nintendo works along side a support studio on a 3D project is a given but I wouldn't rule out it being another EPD+Monolith Soft joint with the Unreal usage because of some technical reason.

there wasn't much of any platforming challenges. with the way Peach moved around the set with NPCs and enemies, it felt more reminiscent of Super Paper Mario
My speculation is that we've seen basically nothing of the actual game, and the stage is just some kind of hub world. We see her enter a door at some point and it cuts. So it really could be anything.

I saw @LuigiBlood mention this on Discord: The Super Mario RPG remake might be NDCube because the UI design language in the remake is identical to NDCube's other Switch games (Super Mario Party, Clubhouse Games, Mario Party Superstars)
Rooting for this purely because I predicted NdCube having a non-Mario Party holiday title this year.
Not played any Mario Party titles in a long time, but it does match up strongly. And while an RPG might be outside their usual wheelhouse, a remake that depends on lush 3D environments in an isometric viewpoint absolutely is not.

That would honestly be a fantastic use of NdCube's talent this late in the gen after already delivering three party games. Though I was secretly hoping for something Animal Crossing.

Could Super Mario RPG be Arzest? They have worked with both Nintendo and Square-Enix in the past and several of the Alpha Dream vets who migrated to Arzest may have worked on the SNES original title.
Arzest are the main developers of Sonic Superstars, so they should be busy.

I do not see them having enough manpower for two relatively big projects. They're like 80-90 people.

I hope we'll be seeing this 'Porting Technology Development Team' a lot more going forward. Would love to see more GC / Wii games that would never get full-scale remasters rereleased via Hagi ports; tough-sells like the older iterations of Mario spin-offs (Party, Sports, even Kart), or the obscure classics like Chibi-Robo and Sin and Punishment 2. I imagine we'll see Sunshine and Galaxy reissued eventually, with Galaxy 2 in tow; and it's easy to picture Luigi's Mansion 1 recieving a releae of this nature so they can brag about the whole series being available on Switch after Dark Moon's remaster next year, like they did in March with 2D Metroid and just yesterday with Pikmin.

05.png

image.png

I hope we'll be seeing this 'Porting Technology Development Team' a lot more going forward. Would love to see more GC / Wii games that would never get full-scale remasters rereleased via Hagi ports; tough-sells like the older iterations of Mario spin-offs (Party, Sports, even Kart), or the obscure classics like Chibi-Robo and Sin and Punishment 2. I
This and Custom Robo are my wishes, even if they are super niche. Pikmin 1&2 were 30$, so maybe 25$ for nicher titles?

I hope we'll be seeing this 'Porting Technology Development Team' a lot more going forward. Would love to see more GC / Wii games that would never get full-scale remasters rereleased via Hagi ports; tough-sells like the older iterations of Mario spin-offs (Party, Sports, even Kart), or the obscure classics like Chibi-Robo and Sin and Punishment 2. I imagine we'll see Sunshine and Galaxy reissued eventually, with Galaxy 2 in tow; and it's easy to picture Luigi's Mansion 1 recieving a releae of this nature so they can brag about the whole series being available on Switch after Dark Moon's remaster next year, like they did in March with 2D Metroid and just yesterday with Pikmin.

05.png

image.png
where are those images from?

Back
Top Bottom