• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

• Developed gameplay, Meta design, narrative, and characters for a historic shooter property.
• Administered operations associated with character/enemy designs, branching story/difficulties, Meta design, and post-launch live-ops with leaderboards and challenge system for an unannounced AAA Shooter of an existing franchise with four distinct gameplay styles, including Run & Gun, Top Down Shooter, Shmup, and Rail Gun.
If it's referring to what I believe it is, then it's not a Nintendo IP. But it's an exciting project and one I'm looking forward to seeing.

"Nintendo will open its official Nintendo KYOTO store on October 17, 2023. Following "Nintendo TOKYO" (Shibuya-ku, Tokyo) and "Nintendo OSAKA" (Kita-ku, Osaka), "Nintendo KYOTO" will be the third official store in Japan. Ltd. and its consolidated subsidiary, Toshin Development Co."

"Nintendo will open its official Nintendo KYOTO store on October 17, 2023. Following "Nintendo TOKYO" (Shibuya-ku, Tokyo) and "Nintendo OSAKA" (Kita-ku, Osaka), "Nintendo KYOTO" will be the third official store in Japan. Ltd. and its consolidated subsidiary, Toshin Development Co."

That’s amazing, thank you for sharing!

I must say, they're really quick on the store expansion.

Safe to say the initiative was a success for them.

London Store when. Pokemon Center did really well and it would be a nice point for all the tourists the city gets.

it's probably advance wars, but I wouldn't put it past Nintendo and Wayforward to have another game in the works. could be a new Advance Wars or even Golden Sun. Wayforward are quite flexible
I could see Nintendo going the same direction with WayForward as they did with Mercury Steam. Have them do a remake and then have them make a new entry if the remake does well enough.

So we might get a new Advance Wars game with Nintendo/Intelligence Systems giving some direction and oversight like Metroid Dread.

Though, I think I’d prefer them to do a Golden Sun remake and then new entry.

Not sure when this was put up, but it was updated two days ago. Monolith is hiring a contract UI designer "for action game development".

Job Title
Game UI Designer / Game Interface Designer

Job Description
Job Title : UI Designer

Project:Consumer title

Duties:
Responsible for graphic data creation, layout, and implementation of UI for action game development.
Depending on your skills and experience, you may be asked to take on leadership duties.

Work Period
6 months or more

Also, Game Freak is hiring a contract level designer for their Gear Project (not-Pokemon) department with "experience in action game development". It mentions Unreal like the previous openings for this department.

Last edited:

I wasn't sure about this, but are these basically like franchises? Independent owners buy into and have Nintendo manage/direct the operations? This one is owned by a separate entity but run by Nintendo. Not sure how Tokyo and Osaka work.

Not sure when this was put up, but it was updated two days ago. Monolith is hiring a contract UI designer "for action game development".

Also, Game Freak is hiring a contract level designer for their Gear Project (not-Pokemon) department with "experience in action game development". It mentions Unreal like the previous openings for this department.

they should be hiring people to port Pocket Card Jockey to Switch...

Quoted by: N75
Following up on the Creatures staff changes, both Ishihara and Tanaka are still on the board of directors, if they weren't already.

I can only find Yuji Kitano being credited once on Pokemon Art Academy, so maybe he was from the TCG side?

Muneaki Ozawa from Ambrella is also on the board of directors. It doesn't look like a new change, so it likely happened when Ambrella was acquired. I wonder if he's in charge of software development, because the other board members are credited in other areas (TCG/3DCG/Sales etc.)

Last edited:
I wasn't sure about this, but are these basically like franchises? Independent owners buy into and have Nintendo manage/direct the operations? This one is owned by a separate entity but run by Nintendo. Not sure how Tokyo and Osaka work.
Yes, they are. Tokyo store is operated by PARCO Co. Ltd. and the Osaka one by Daimaru Matsuzakaya Department Stores.

Huh that’s very interesting. If it is indeed franchising, I’m hoping they’ll expand Nintendo stores to other countries as well.

Europe still doesn’t have a single physical Nintendo Store.

• Developed gameplay, Meta design, narrative, and characters for a historic shooter property.
• Administered operations associated with character/enemy designs, branching story/difficulties, Meta design, and post-launch live-ops with leaderboards and challenge system for an unannounced AAA Shooter of an existing franchise with four distinct gameplay styles, including Run & Gun, Top Down Shooter, Shmup, and Rail Gun.

Isn't this probably Contra.

edit: Oh, it could be Metal Slug as well

But Metal Slug or Contra seem overwhelmingly likely if the game was not cancelled in general.

I’ve never seen this Good-Feel trademark mentioned, even though it was filed around the same time Monkey Barrels was.

image.php

I assume this is / was the Goemon inspired game; though as far as I can tell it ended up receiving provisional refusal in the US and Canada, so who knows if it’ll even end up being used.

New IPs take like five years to make if they're large in scope at all.
IIRC this new game has been rumoured for literal years by now and hiring notices went out for it way back in like late 2017, right after development finished on Xenoblade 2. Not saying for sure it’s real or release is imminent, but if it’s coming I’m willing to bet it might come sooner rather than later.

IIRC this new game has been rumoured for literal years by now and hiring notices went out for it way back in like late 2017, right after development finished on Xenoblade 2. Not saying for sure it’s real or release is imminent, but if it’s coming I’m willing to bet it might come sooner rather than later.
It's not been rumored. It's just their job posting that's been up for literal years.

So I don't even know why we're posting about how long it takes to develop a "new IP"?! How's it relevant? The "action game" thing has been something they've been hiring for and thus working on for years. What ultimately happens with it is another story but how long a new IP takes to make doesn't feel like relevant conversation at all.

Monolith dropping the final DLC for Xenoblade 3 EARLY! I think this gives them almost a full year before the launch of the next console to dedicate themselves to whatever is next. They should also have a reasonable ammount of people from the Zelda team at disposal given the next Zelda probably just started the concept phase, and the DLC for TotK (if any) will require a smaller team to work on it.

Tears of the Kingdom confirmed staff

Eiji Aonuma - Producer
Hidemaro Fujibayashi - Director
Satoru Takizawa (confirmed as a Art Director for TotK) - also Art Director for BOTW.
Manabu Takehara (terrain design supervisor for TotK) - building leader for terrain design in BOTW.
Yohei Izumi - (terrain design leader for TotK) - terrain design for the northern area in BOTW.

Staff from patents

Hiroyuki Taniwa (BOTW programming)
Ryuji Kobayashi (BOTW programming)
Takuhiro Dohta (BOTW Technical Director)
Haruki Sato (Champions Ballad programming)
Yuya Sato (BOTW & Champions Ballad Planner)
Naoki Fukada (Champions Ballad programming)
Correy Bunnell (BOTW & Champions Ballad programming)
Katsuhisa Sato (BOTW programming)
Atsushi Asakura (BOTW programming)

I find a lot of times the titles Producer and Director mean different things for different studios/companies, especially between Asian and Western video game developers.

I wonder how much involvement and direction Eiji Aonuma gives now. How hands on is he involved with impressing his vision for the game on to the team?

I know he has claimed responsibility in interviews for the flash back memory storytelling that you can do in any order for BotW and pushing the franchise away from the strict structure, linearity, and formulaic to the more open ended nature of BotW. But I wonder how much of that was a team effort and how much he continued to guide the development of those systems. Or did he just get the ball rolling and let the teams to develop those concepts without too much input from him.

I know when Miyamoto stepped away from being a director and more of a producer he often had the authority and vision to make teams completely stop or rework something and head in a new direction. I could imagine that was tough and frustrating to the actual people directing.

I feel like in the West you’d rarely ever see a producer step in and make a team completely change their direction and pursue and idea and vision they have despite what the director wants.

I find a lot of times the titles Producer and Director mean different things for different studios/companies, especially between Asian and Western video game developers.

I wonder how much involvement and direction Eiji Aonuma gives now. How hands on is he involved with impressing his vision for the game on to the team?

I know he has claimed responsibility in interviews for the flash back memory storytelling that you can do in any order for BotW and pushing the franchise away from the strict structure, linearity, and formulaic to the more open ended nature of BotW. But I wonder how much of that was a team effort and how much he continued to guide the development of those systems. Or did he just get the ball rolling and let the teams to develop those concepts without too much input from him.

I know when Miyamoto stepped away from being a director and more of a producer he often had the authority and vision to make teams completely stop or rework something and head in a new direction. I could imagine that was tough and frustrating to the actual people directing.

I feel like in the West you’d rarely ever see a producer step in and make a team completely change their direction and pursue and idea and vision they have despite what the director wants.
Western producers are usually there to make the trains run on time. We know that in Japan or Nintendo specifically even, producer always means much more deeply involved with the design and nuances as they're often also producers for the entire franchise and overall direction.

Interview: Tokyo University Lecture - July 3rd 2003 said:
Question: So why did you begin calling yourself a producer?

Shigeru Miyamoto: Once we finished Mario and Zelda, the next thing I wanted to do was sequels. I thought Zelda could turn into a new and different game if the game system was more fun and we could switch between maps and things, so... I had people under me do Mario 3 and The Adventure of Link, so I figured, hey, I'm a producer now.
There's also one more reason. To tell the truth, in Nintendo there aren't any official positions called "director" or "producer". Instead you have the kacho/bucho (section chief/department chief) system. The thing is, though, people overseas don't get that system. So when I started dealing with overseas folks, I wanted to sell myself to them, so I just wrote "producer" on my business card. With that title, people from overseas could recognize what I do, and it worked all right. Later I got yelled at from the head office about assigning myself titles, but... (laughs) Those are the two reasons I started calling myself a producer.

Some other answers from Miyamoto on what the hell he was actually doing from the source, it's 20 years old but probably not overly dissimilar from the modern positions

Aonuma clarified the two roles in this interview (translated by DeepL with some minor edits).
You later switched to the producer role. What does the role mean? How is it different from the director's role?
When I worked on the first Wind Waker as director, I realized how difficult the task was and that I couldn't go on forever. So I consulted with Miyamoto and he said, "Why don't you become a producer then?" At that time, I didn't really know what it meant or whether I was capable of doing it. To explain what it's all about, I'll use the metaphor of the boat, in theme with Wind Waker HD: the producer is the one holding the spyglass and steering the course to the island we're headed to; he monitors the storms, he says to the rest of the staff, "We have to go this way to avoid the incoming storm." The director is the one at the helm, that is, the one who does the "dirty" work. The producer looks at the final destination and points to the right course to follow, the director and the team make the boat work, and all together contribute to achieving the goal and excellence.

Some other answers from Miyamoto on what the hell he was actually doing from the source, it's 20 years old but probably not overly dissimilar from the modern positions
I think he's even more far from actual game development now. He probably working as a "producer of producer", making sure the various EPD teams are working under the same design principles. In various Iwata Asks, he talked a lot about "the essence of Mario" and "the essence of Zelda". Plus, of course, he's working with Universal and Illumination.

I don't think it's Metroid if we're talking about working on a prototype. Starfox Adventures returns confirmed !

It's talking about prototyping individual concepts, not talking about the state of the game as a whole. Not the greatest sign for an imminent (within the rest of the year, calendar or fiscal) release if they're still hiring though, imo.

Last edited:
It's talking about prototyping individual concepts, not talking about the state of the game as a whole. Not the greatest sign for an imminent (within the next year) release that they're still hiring though.
can you please not shatter famiboard's dreams like that.

I hope that means mp4 will have some nifty ai.

Aonuma clarified the two roles in this interview (translated by DeepL with some minor edits).

I think he's even more far from actual game development now. He probably working as a "producer of producer", making sure the various EPD teams are working under the same design principles. In various Iwata Asks, he talked a lot about "the essence of Mario" and "the essence of Zelda". Plus, of course, he's working with Universal and Illumination.
yeah, Miyamoto's stopped doing that stuff once he got promoted to general manager/joumu and then to senior manager/senmu to whatever he does now. the role itself of department chief/bucho that he used to do which he called "producer" is probably still similar, though

I don't think it's Metroid if we're talking about working on a prototype. Starfox Adventures returns confirmed !
It's talking about prototyping individual concepts, not talking about the state of the game as a whole. Not the greatest sign for an imminent (within the rest of the year, calendar or fiscal) release if they're still hiring though, imo.
There is no indication this is for work on Prime 4. Many job listings at Retro have listed Prime 4 as the probect, and if Retro were still prototyping gameplay concepts for Prime 4 this far in, then Nintendo would have canned it.

Retro makes other games, and has had games cancelled. They need staff for this games, and in this case, it’s entirely possible it’s a backfill for an employee who left.

Retro makes other games, and has had games cancelled. They need staff for this games, and in this case, it’s entirely possible it’s a backfill for an employee who left.

Given the listing explicitly says it is "for a 3D action-adventure title" (not "for 3D action-adventure titles" or any alternative) i'd say it was written with a specific project in mind. That title doesn't have to be Prime 4 though, I admit I could be jumping the gun on that much.

One particular element I didn't pick up on earlier is that the description of Retro Studios on this listing is missing the "Announced by Nintendo in January 2019, Retro Studios is currently in the midst of developing Metroid Prime 4 for the Nintendo Switch." blurb that is present on all of their other game development listings (the other one it isn't included in is Human Resources Generalist). I do believe this to be a recent listing too; on LinkedIn it was only posted three weeks ago, and it was tweeted about for the first time just yesterday.

Could it be an indication that their next project is a 3D action-adventure title? I don't want to make that claim with certainty so maybe it'd be better to stick with the pessimistic Prime 4 read for now, lol.

yeah, Miyamoto's stopped doing that stuff once he got promoted to general manager/joumu and then to senior manager/senmu to whatever he does now. the role itself of department chief/bucho that he used to do which he called "producer" is probably still similar, though
He still had a pretty big position on projects like Star Fox Zero and Project Giant Robot, he was still EAD General Manager at the time (after Star Fox was delayed not really). He enjoys doing movie, theme parks and all kind of that stuff, would be interesting to see how he is credited in Pikmin 4, probably as a "General Producer" along with Takahashi but he likely still had at least some bigger involvemt in this game so who knows.

As it has been pointed out, the announcement does not mention Metroid, unlike the majority of published offerings. My assumption about Starfox was both a joke and a wish, since Adventures can also be labeled "action-adventure". It's also possible that they'll start working on Prime 5 for the upcoming Switch, or even their own IP, but damn if they'll pick up Rare's mantle on Starfox Adventures like they did on Donkey Kong Country, and with today's technology, that would be wonderful.

Who knows how easy it is for Camelot to pivot away from Mario to something else. Or even have a second project parallel to their Mario sports work. It's not quite an AlphaDream situation because they're experienced in HD development but I wouldn't be surprised if they're almost entirely dependent on Nintendo these days. I doubt that their work on random apps is keeping the lights on.
i would love for Camelot to work on a new Golden Sun or even a remake combining the first 2 Golden Sun of GBA

As it has been pointed out, the announcement does not mention Metroid, unlike the majority of published offerings. My assumption about Starfox was both a joke and a wish, since Adventures can also be labeled "action-adventure". It's also possible that they'll start working on Prime 5 for the upcoming Switch, or even their own IP, but damn if they'll pick up Rare's mantle on Starfox Adventures like they did on Donkey Kong Country, and with today's technology, that would be wonderful.
Add me to list the list of people who would be absolutely ecstatic if Retro’s next game ended up being Star Fox Adventures Returns that was planned to be a Star Fox game from the beginning and would incorporate both flying sections and traditional Zelda style dungeons

Advance Wars 1+2 Nintendo Production Team
-- Thanks to RBM95

http://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/forum/t-15827045#post-6061237

Intelligent Systems
Tohru Narihiro
Masahiro Higuchi
Kenji Yamada

Special Thanks
Masamichi Abe
Nate Bihldorff
James Helssen
Jeff Miller

Technical Support
Koichiro Hirano

Production Manager
Michael Barry
Yuji Ichijo

Associate Producers
Todd Buechele
Takashi Ogomori

Producers
Toyokazu Nonaka
Takao Nakano

General Producer
Shinya Takahashi

Executive Producerhttp://kyoto-report.wikidot.com/shuntaro-furukawa
Shuntaro Furukawa

NOA Production Group with EPD Production Group No.2 again.

Back
Top Bottom