• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

WOW that a lot of high profile developing Metroid Prime 4 right now.

Hopefully they already have a lot of pre production groundwork done for a new IP or never before worked on franchise to go full throttle on once Prime goes gold.

I'd love to see them tackle something Nintendo lacks in their IPs. Survival Horror Game, A more western style rpg, F-Zero or other dormant IP Revival etc.

Hopefully they already have a lot of pre production groundwork done for a new IP or never before worked on franchise to go full throttle on once Prime goes gold.

I'd love to see them tackle something Nintendo lacks in their IPs. Survival Horror Game, A more western style rpg, F-Zero or other dormant IP Revival etc.
Yes, i hope, with all this hiring Retro Studios has been doing recently, they could be big enought to handle two big games at ounce.

Yes, i hope, with all this hiring Retro Studios has been doing recently, they could be big enought to handle two big games at ounce.
I imagine we'll find out, when MP2&3 are revealed, we may find out they have been working on two smaller games, while working on the big game.

Ehhh, I don't really think MP2 or 3 will be getting the full Remastered treatment as much as I'd really want them to. While I do find it odd that they haven't released them yet, I doubt they'd go for it given the higher visual complexity to recreate in those games/lower popularity makes them risky bets. I just don't really think they'd do it.

I can see a dual pack release before or close to Prime 4's release, ala Pikmin 1 + 2 though! I imagine you'll be seeing something like that. 2025 will be the year of Metroid Prime (again! 2007 called!)

Last edited:
see how Nintendo could avoid droughts on it next gen hardware/games

This is something both Furukawa and Takahashi have talked about recently. Takahashi specifically mentioned how they've streamlined the dev environment to cut down on development time for some games, as well as creating games with quicker turn-around time in between big releases, which is something Tezuka mentioned as well.

Nintendo has much more urgency to keep up a consistent release slate of first party games since they're the main reason people buy Nintendo systems to begin with.

don't go down the "Retro new IP" hole again. this never ends well. those of us who've been here a decade ago will remember. don't do this to yourselves.

This is something both Furukawa and Takahashi have talked about recently. Takahashi specifically mentioned how they've streamlined the dev environment to cut down on development time for some games, as well as creating games with quicker turn-around time in between big releases, which is something Tezuka mentioned as well.

Nintendo has much more urgency to keep up a consistent release slate of first party games since they're the main reason people buy Nintendo systems to begin with.
these videos (and those people tweeting [excuse me if I retch every time someone posts a tweet from Stealth]) are always just repackaging old info/things they picked up from places such as here or KR anyhow. It always feels kinda silly that their content lands here again.

3D Mario
Mario Kart
Animal Crossing
Switch Sports sequel (Switch release but playable on Switch 2)
A surprise

That's my expectation for EPD next year
I am just catching up on this thread but I wonder if them updating Switch Sports with Basketball does speak to them gearing up for a sequel (similar to what we saw with Super Mario Party getting online play for the boards some months before Superstar's reveal and release)?

you know Vince Joly left Retro five years ago, tho?
Lol, yes. Being realistic, the chance anything happens with whatever they did with that project is granular, but I've always been really fascinated to see what the product of Retro being freed from NCL's creative constraints (or at least having them be greatly diminished) looks like. If you look into the lore behind the development of those games, there's always a certain level of push and pull and always a desire from Retro to "own" the choices of the end product they create, so I always wanted to see what an unshackled Retro looks like. Remember that without this game, the 11 year gap between Tropical Freeze and Prime 4 doesn't exist.

Since the project never saw the light, the answer is likely "not good".
I mean it was certainly never close to a satisfactory or "holistic" level of quality at any point in its life, but I think Retro had a lot of ambition and gall in them to attempt such a prospect like that and I've always been curious to see the results. Presuming the robot character in Reggie's portrait isn't actually an in-joke and Reggie isn't providing cover for them, they seemed pretty hellbent on making that game part of their legacy and (at some point attempted) getting it out the door, or at least thought of it fondly enough to make it part of a farewell picture.

If nothing else, they're so closely tied to NCL and their games so prominently feature Tanabe-isms that I've always wondered why getting rid of that element never lead to a non-port/remaster project materializing from there. (Its fate is, of course, more complicated than his absence, but it's certainly a catalyst of the story if I had to imagine.)

If nothing else, they're so closely tied to NCL and their games so prominently feature Tanabe-isms
Nintendo should have replaced Tanabe with Arlo or Reggie or Captain America. Nintendo needs more Western developers.
I've always been really fascinated to see what the product of Retro being freed from NCL's creative constraints
Indeed, if only NCL had not come to hinder the freedom of the studio, it could have freely closed its doors several decades ago and we would never have had a bad too much Japanese game like Metroid Prime, creatively it would have been great.

If nothing else, they're so closely tied to NCL and their games so prominently feature Tanabe-isms that I've always wondered why getting rid of that element never lead to a non-port/remaster project materializing from there. (Its fate is, of course, more complicated than his absence, but it's certainly a catalyst of the story if I had to imagine.)
I am curious which Nintendo producer replaced Tanabe during that post-Tropical Freeze period of the studio's life. Even if Nintendo gave less oversight at the time, they would've probably still had someone from their side doing more than just production coordination.

Nintendo should have replaced Tanabe with Arlo or Reggie or Captain America. Nintendo needs more Western developers.

Indeed, if only NCL had not come to hinder the freedom of the studio, it could have freely closed its doors several decades ago and we would never have had a bad too much Japanese game like Metroid Prime, creatively it would have been great.
Lmfao I love Tanabe. I think it's a massive shame people have come to think so little of him (understandably so in some respect since he did produce a string of highly unpopular titles between 2015-2016 w zip lash, fed force, color splash and sticker star before then, even though I like two of those games a lot and still respect elements of the other two) but he's undoubtedly probably my favorite Nintendo producer, no kidding. I love his games and I love all the Retro titles and think about them often. I also really love what he's done with NLG over the years.

I bring that up because (thanks in no small part to youtubers like Kiwi Talkz) it's been shown before how much NCL's taught Retro the Nintendo handbook, and how much they've also brought in their own ambitions to fill in the Nintendo benchmark through their own ways. There's been so much said from both the designers at Retro and the creatives from NCL that I've always been compelled with the elements at play in those productions, and the fruits of a Retro "We don't need NCL overhead setting us back a week or two, we're not lead by the dude who made The Guy Game anymore, we're getting off the booster seat" is really fascinating to me personally.

I do think the ideal world is one where both of those groups are in collaboration (they are) and I do hope Tanabe continues making games for some time before he passes the torch to Risa and Ikebata wholesale.

I am curious which Nintendo producer replaced Tanabe during that post-Tropical Freeze period of the studio's life. Even if Nintendo gave less oversight at the time, they would've probably still had someone from their side doing more than just production coordination.
People speculate Yoshio Sakamoto but I don't buy it because it's not really his wheelhouse to make something that isn't within his specific tastes (though I'd kind of love to see him try to work with whatever Retro comes up with.) It was probably one of the lesser known individuals who would just kind of keep the basic Nintendo product ideals in check and not really bring in their own personal ambitions, like Toyokazu Nonaka.

People speculate Yoshio Sakamoto but I don't buy it because it's not really his wheelhouse to make something that isn't within his specific tastes (though I'd kind of love to see him try to work with whatever Retro comes up with.) It was probably one of the lesser known individuals who would just kind of keep the basic Nintendo product ideals in check and not really bring in their own personal ambitions, like Toyokazu Nonaka.
It's unlikely to be Sakamoto, I agree. I think Nintendo may have regrouped its external development groups EXCEPT the projects of Sakamoto, who by virtue of his seniority has a special status at Nintendo. I think Sakamoto will have to prepare the future of Metroid and decide on his successor at the head of the original franchise. I can't imagine a unification of 2D and 3D Metroid.

Regarding Tanabe's succession, it's interesting to note that the recently decided ports of LM2 and DKCR were entrusted to Western studios, so the specificity of Group N°6, open to foreign collaborations, doesn't seem to have changed, even if there was a possible reorganization.

Reading the credits for LM2HD and the latest Paper Mario reùake, we see the name of Shinya Saito as producer. Perhaps this is an indication.
Lmfao I love Tanabe. I think it's a massive shame people have come to think so little of him (understandably so in some respect since he did produce a string of highly unpopular titles between 2015-2016 w zip lash, fed force, color splash and sticker star before then, even though I like two of those games a lot and still respect elements of the other two) but he's undoubtedly probably my favorite Nintendo producer, no kidding. I love his games and I love all the Retro titles and think about them often. I also really love what he's done with NLG over the years.

I bring that up because (thanks in no small part to youtubers like Kiwi Talkz) it's been shown before how much NCL's taught Retro the Nintendo handbook, and how much they've also brought in their own ambitions to fill in the Nintendo benchmark through their own ways. There's been so much said from both the designers at Retro and the creatives from NCL that I've always been compelled with the elements at play in those productions, and the fruits of a Retro "We don't need NCL overhead setting us back a week or two, we're not lead by the dude who made The Guy Game anymore, we're getting off the booster seat" is really fascinating to me personally.

I do think the ideal world is one where both of those groups are in collaboration (they are) and I do hope Tanabe continues making games for some time before he passes the torch to Risa and Ikebata wholesale.
I couldn't resist making a joke, sorry. :)

It's definitely got to be Nonoka given that he's taken over all external development at EPD mid-way through the Switch gen.

On the subject of Retro and NCL. Retro was an absolute mess before Nintendo stepped in. Honestly, it's shocking the original Prime turned out as good as it did given what went on down there.

It's unlikely to be Sakamoto, I agree. I think Nintendo may have regrouped its external development groups EXCEPT the projects of Sakamoto, who by virtue of his seniority has a special status at Nintendo. I think Sakamoto will have to prepare the future of Metroid and decide on his successor at the head of the original franchise. I can't imagine a unification of 2D and 3D Metroid.

Regarding Tanabe's succession, it's interesting to note that the recently decided ports of LM2 and DKCR were entrusted to Western studios, so the specificity of Group N°6, open to foreign collaborations, doesn't seem to have changed, even if there was a possible reorganization.

Reading the credits for LM2HD and the latest Paper Mario reùake, we see the name of Shinya Saito as producer. Perhaps this is an indication.
I think that, really, every Nintendo department can collab externally if they feel they want to and are capable of it. Some of them are better than others, and have more trust and history with certain studios compared to one another, but what constitutes a department is really just its heads and whatever they say their focus for Nintendo comes down to.

Tanabe's successors are, very clearly by this point, Risa Tabata (Retro and IntSys) and Yoshihito Ikebata (NLG and other studios.) He's been propping both up for a while and Tabata got a full Producer credit on TTYD while Ikebata held Co-Producer role on Mario Strikers Battle League. In spite of Tanabe's diminishing release cadence though, I selfishly hope he's got enough in him to stick around past the age of 65. When he didn't show up for any Battle League interviews and then was missing from TTYD I got really really worried. Hope he's very very present for Prime 4.

It's definitely got to be Nonoka given that he's taken over all external development at EPD mid-way through the Switch gen.

On the subject of Retro and NCL. Retro was an absolute mess before Nintendo stepped in. Honestly, it's shocking the original Prime turned out as good as it did given what went on down there.
Yeah this has kinda dawned on me too. Nonaka is the new 2000's Tanabe where he's one of a group of few people cleaning up the big mess of many partnerships Nintendo sustains. I do really miss Tanabe constantly bringing his energy to all the games he worked on during that era, he got super ambitious with Retro and it made Prime and DKCR unforgettable, dare I say "SOULFUL" games.

Nonaka is clearly good on some level if James Montagna said working with him was like "seeing a new color." Compared to that, all the Retro guys clearly buckled under Tanabe's big expectations enough that the designers there are always leaving but talk about how working there was great and then years down the line say they would do another Prime game or something.

Yeah this has kinda dawned on me too. Nonaka is the new 2000's Tanabe where he's one of a group of few people cleaning up the big mess of many partnerships Nintendo sustains. I do really miss Tanabe constantly bringing his energy to all the games he worked on during that era, he got super ambitious with Retro and it made Prime and DKCR unforgettable, dare I say "SOULFUL" games.

Nonaka is clearly good on some level if James Montagna said working with him was like "seeing a new color." Compared to that, all the Retro guys clearly buckled under Tanabe's big expectations enough that the designers there are always leaving but talk about how working there was great and then years down the line say they would do another Prime game or something.
OK, looking back at his list I kinda doubt he's taken on that creative mentorship role because he looks like he's moreso someone who maintains relationships with existing successful partners who have their own ways but abide by Nintendo's methodologies in a looser since in the context of a partnership. HAL, NDCube, SEGA, Good-Feel Kirby, Game Freak, Monolith, etc etc. The rare exceptions are DC Superhero Girls and Advance Wars Reboot Camp.

(Sidenote: so glad the Switch era has brought back Nintendo's most soulful endeavors, the cheap kids brand licensed release. Welcome back Hamtaro for GBA.)

EDIT: He took over from Hitoshi Yamagami, who either retired or moved up from making games.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom