• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Aonuma: I felt they had strong developing skills from seeing their work across remakes of previous titles, so I decided to ask Tantalus to remake this title. As a result, I think they created great work beyond my expectations.
I always gotta wonder what it's like to get a phone call or email that's like "Yeah hi, Nintendo here. Are you folks available to do a Zelda remake?"

Like, it's probably more formal than that, but I'd still need to go through so many layers of "and you promise this isn't a prank call, right?" before getting to the actual conversation

I always gotta wonder what it's like to get a phone call or email that's like "Yeah hi, Nintendo here. Are you folks available to do a Zelda remake?"

Like, it's probably more formal than that, but I'd still need to go through so many layers of "and you promise this isn't a prank call, right?" before getting to the actual conversation
with something like that, you probably have an in-person meeting than do it over the phone or a zoom call

It was actually way less formal than this.

Aonuma set a wolf loose in the Tantalus office and hoped they understood.

If someone called and introduced themselves as Nintendo to me I'd probably have to go check my temperature.

really curious about their LoD system. these days many studios are looking into a virtualized geometry solution, could we see such here?

How involved if at all were NERD in BOTW? Curious if their work is super evident and especially in the coming of Switch 2 could be an even greater asset to Nintendo overall in the future? Nice to see them contribute key tech support to EPD themselves. Feels like they can do much more than just emulation (which they have, like the IR stuff in Ring Fit, Labo, etc).

Reminds me how Engine Software said they were able to use Durante's compression tech for their Switch Falcom ports. Not sure if Durante gave them permanent access for all their Switch ports or just any Durante was also involved with the PC ports of (usually the Falcom stuff).

ex-Nintendo employee Kit Elis and Krystal Yang, explain why Nintendo dont reveal the developers that working in it games

more like speculate they dont seem to know anything as usual lol

honestly this is nothing new. makes me crazy seeing how so many people think monolith develop those games and dont separate them into tokyo and kyoto. I cant edit wikipedia anymore but this kinda of thing if I still could just takes my motivation because most people seemingly has no interest in search for even the bare minimum website of all websites.
thats very interesting to see. Wonder why it took a year to be posted though lol

Anybody else thing Mario and Luigi is gonna decently outsell Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG?

It’s the only new game out of the 3 and got a great release date.

I don’t know. Something is telling me this is gonna be a big hit. (RPG wise). Probably 4 million minimum?

I don’t think Nintendo is looking to have the 3 compete. More like gauge the interest of all 3. And see if multiple RPG series for Mario can co-exist? Maybe 🤔

Answer 11
Currently, game development times are becoming longer and more complex.
We are expanding and investing in development resources.
Shinya Takahashi: "The length of development time is unavoidable due to the advancement of game consoles. The development environment has also improved, so I think we are making efforts to shorten the time.
I want to create games that are fun and entertaining in a short period of time."
Takashi Tezuka: "When I talk about Mario Wonder, I was surprised that it took 11 years from the previous game. In the meantime, we've also released Mario Maker and 3D Mario. We've offered a number of Mario-related games.
We are developing the game while thinking about how to make people fall in love with Nintendo. We are also considering short-term titles."

Anybody else thing Mario and Luigi is gonna decently outsell Paper Mario and Super Mario RPG?

It’s the only new game out of the 3 and got a great release date.

I don’t know. Something is telling me this is gonna be a big hit. (RPG wise). Probably 4 million minimum?

I don’t think Nintendo is looking to have the 3 compete. More like gauge the interest of all 3. And see if multiple RPG series for Mario can co-exist? Maybe 🤔
- It could, its a new game versus a remake of a snes game

- I dont think. Paper Mario is not going away, that is IS second baby. Mario RPG was an experiment, I dont think we will see other one. So that leaves Mario and Luigi as the candidate to continue.

I'm pretty confident Super Mario RPG wasn't just some one-time attempt to appease its fans; they would've worked through whatever hangup Square Enix have with NSO to get even just that single game on there if that were exclusively the goal. Go on the official Super Mario website and you'll find Super Mario RPG labelled as its own series of Mario games, despite only containing the same game twice:

9SRYmAm.png

A one-off game should be easy enough to shove into the Others category, that's where the Mario + Rabbids games are hanging out; but to me it really seems like they want to have all three active as distinct pillars of Mario RPGs. That's the only regard in which I see this string of Mario RPG releases, seperated by six months and announced in sequential general Nintendo Directs, as tests: if all three are profitable then all three continue, no reason to pick just one if people are buying them regardless of these release conditions. If anything, I'm somewhat expecting Super Mario RPG to remain the most successful of the three domestically; the original Super Famicom release was already the long-standing best seller of Mario RPGs in Japan, and the remake did exceptionally well in turn. Should be motivation enough to give it a direct sequel.

I don't think Paper Mario is just going to slide back into Origami King's formula next game either, not after multiple surveys begging for feedback on the RPG mechanics and unique characters. I don't think they'll drop everything to just replicate TTYD in every possible area either; there's room to naturally itterate and find a nice middleground of ideas.

I'm pretty confident Super Mario RPG wasn't just some one-time attempt to appease its fans; they would've worked through whatever hangup Square Enix have with NSO to get even just that single game on there if that were exclusively the goal. Go on the official Super Mario website and you'll find Super Mario RPG labelled as its own series of Mario games, despite only containing the same game twice:

9SRYmAm.png

A one-off game should be easy enough to shove into the Others category, that's where the Mario + Rabbids games are hanging out; but to me it really seems like they want to have all three active as distinct pillars of Mario RPGs. That's the only regard in which I see this string of Mario RPG releases, seperated by six months and announced in sequential general Nintendo Directs, as tests: if all three are profitable then all three continue, no reason to pick just one if people are buying them regardless of these release conditions. If anything, I'm somewhat expecting Super Mario RPG to remain the most successful of the three domestically; the original Super Famicom release was already the long-standing best seller of Mario RPGs in Japan, and the remake did exceptionally well in turn. Should be motivation enough to give it a direct sequel.

I don't think Paper Mario is just going to slide back into Origami King's formula next game either, not after multiple surveys begging for feedback on the RPG mechanics and unique characters. I don't think they'll drop everything to just replicate TTYD in every possible area either; there's room to naturally itterate and find a nice middleground of ideas.
Yeah, I think it's better for a rising tide raising all ships scenario in this case. With game development taking longer than ever, they can keep Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi, and Super Mario RPG once a generation games, but have them rotate out every couple years to keep that flow of Mario RPG games, leading to greater synergy between them all.

Paper Mario needs some serious reconsidering. It's the least interesting combat-wise. Just look at M&L:B's trailer and how dynamic it is in contrast to the repetitive nature of PM

Nothing has really indicated that they won’t just slide back into TOK formula for the next game. I expect an iteration there along with a changed battle formula like the last four games. Considering we don’t know how they’ll interpret that survey data nor the type of feedback they are getting, I would caution people for getting their hopes up.
yeah where even is this lol
It’s in Menu -> History -> Filter -> Series

I honestly doubt the team behind the Mario website is aware of Nintendo's long term goals with the franchise. It more likely to me that this is just them marketing the RPG remake more prominently.

Otherwise we can really get into specifics like why New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe counts as a noteworthy entry on the website, but Super Mario Deluxe and the entire Super Mario Advance series is not. Does this mean that Nintendo doesn't count these as noteworthy titles? Or more likely NSMBU DX is just included on their for marketing purposes.

9SRYmAm.png

Certainly where my mind's at with PM. TOK already pushed some of the narrative and exploration elements back into the "TTYD" camp, and when you look at PM64 and TTYD, they're virtually the same game. It's time for a proper iteration on RPG-esque gameplay.

Answer 11
Currently, game development times are becoming longer and more complex.
We are expanding and investing in development resources.
Shinya Takahashi: "The length of development time is unavoidable due to the advancement of game consoles. The development environment has also improved, so I think we are making efforts to shorten the time.
I want to create games that are fun and entertaining in a short period of time."
Takashi Tezuka: "When I talk about Mario Wonder, I was surprised that it took 11 years from the previous game. In the meantime, we've also released Mario Maker and 3D Mario. We've offered a number of Mario-related games.
We are developing the game while thinking about how to make people fall in love with Nintendo. We are also considering short-term titles."

god im so thankful that Nintendo understand how this shit works and they already saw that they need big and smaller titles for those gaps. They kinda of already do it on switch but theyll need it even more in the next console, something that neither sony and ms have understood.

I honestly doubt the team behind the Mario website is aware of Nintendo's long term goals with the franchise. It more likely to me that this is just them marketing the RPG remake more prominently.

Otherwise we can really get into specifics like why New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe counts as a noteworthy entry on the website, but Super Mario Deluxe and the entire Super Mario Advance series is not. Does this mean that Nintendo doesn't count these as noteworthy titles? Or more likely NSMBU DX is just included on their for marketing purposes.

Of course the primary purpose of the site is to be an advertisement, that goes without saying. Future-proofing doesn't require the staff managing the site to have intimate knowledge of Nintendo's future plans though; it only requires a call from anywhere higher up to be executed. I'd at least take a site directly managed by NCL more seriously than websites from any of the other regional branches; there's so much more care put into their presentation, and some series like Splatoon and Pikmin feature exclusive content from the development staff.

Given someone above struggled to find where on the site I was even referring to (my bad!) I don't think labelling Super Mario RPG as a seperate series in one dropdown menu helped more than the massive banners for recent releases on the home page, or the separate Games page specifically advertising what's available on Switch. In the end it isn't the primary reason for me believing in Super Mario RPG's future anyway; more of a curosity to note down for the time being (and an example of all three Mario RPG series being presented together which fit into my larger point).

I don't think it's worth paying much attention to the older games that are (currently) absent from the History page, that'd be putting more thought into it than Nintendo themselves clearly do; but I've been keeping an eye on that history page over time so I have a lot to say about it! Rambling about inconsequential stuff from here on:

The banner for the history section on the home page (the first image) still includes multiple games that are not currently included on the page itself, such as Mario's Tennis (for Virtual Boy), Super Mario All-Stars, and Super Mario Advance. An older banner no longer on the page (the second image) included Mario Clash and more of the Advance games too. We've seen a game on one of these banners get a proper listing afterwards once before at least, as Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS didn't always have a page; it recieved one out of the blue around 2022 with seemingly nothing prompting it (wasn't even counted as a mainline game during the 35th Anniversary, though NSMBU Deluxe was).

vPTQK7f.png
OyzT5p0.jpeg

The original Super Mario RPG and the entire Mario vs. Donkey Kong series were missing until the launch of their remakes, and the first two Strikers games were new additions back in 2022 as well. The first Mario + Rabbids wasn't always present on the History page either (i'm not 100% certain when it was added, but it was sometime after 2021), so spotlighting every single Switch release hasn't been a consistent goal either.

I don't think the missing legacy titles are a deep conspiracy; not that I can think of any particular reason for why they're wating on some of those games listed earlier, and certain other titles that were featured back on the 35th Anniversary Twitter (I would assume anything there is fair game), but we can at least reliably assume that when a new Dr. Mario releases those games will be added. Given they continue to have the disclaimer "Titles that are not yet published on this site will be added in future updates" at the bottom of the page, I'm sure it's just a matter of somebody remembering to do it eventually.

Last edited:
How involved if at all were NERD in BOTW? Curious if their work is super evident and especially in the coming of Switch 2 could be an even greater asset to Nintendo overall in the future? Nice to see them contribute key tech support to EPD themselves. Feels like they can do much more than just emulation (which they have, like the IR stuff in Ring Fit, Labo, etc).

They didn't have any notable involvement in BOTW. I posted in KR, but it looks like two former? NERD engineers are now in Nintendo PTD (Kyoto) working directly on NSO / Emulation. So, I'm wondering if the 2-3 NERD TOTK programmers could also permanently move over to Nintendo EPD Kyoto. Nintendo has been known to shuffle key developers internationally from NTD to EPD/PTD, from EPD to NST, from NST to EPD, from PTD to NTD, from Mario Club to NOA PDT, from NERD to PTD, etc.

These are literally just all of the Mario series available on Nintendo Switch, minus Mario + Rabbids (probably because it’s not a fully first-party series*); I don’t think there’s anything else to it than that. That’s likely the only reason why Super Mario RPG is listed. If Nintendo released a remake of something like, I dunno, Mario Pinball Land (lol) on Switch, for example, I’m sure that would be added as a series there with only it and the original game present, too.

*Neither is Super Mario RPG, I know, but that’s at least published by Nintendo worldwide and doesn’t prominently feature a third-party IP in the way Mario + Rabbids does—sure, technically Mallow, Geno, and other original characters are Square Enix IP, but they don’t appear outside of Mario games and overall that game doesn’t portray itself as “Mario x Square Enix IP” anywhere near as much as Mario + Rabbids is, well, “Mario x Rabbids”.

Last edited:
These are literally just all of the Mario series available on Nintendo Switch, minus Mario + Rabbids (probably because it’s not a fully first-party series*); I don’t think there’s anything else to it than that. That’s likely the only reason why Super Mario RPG is listed. If Nintendo released a remake of something like, I dunno, Mario Pinball Land (lol) on Switch, for example, I’m sure that would be added as a series there with only it and the original game present, too.

*Neither is Super Mario RPG, I know, but that’s at least published by Nintendo worldwide and doesn’t prominently feature a third-party IP in the way Mario + Rabbids does—sure, technically Mallow, Geno, and other original characters are Square Enix IP, but they don’t appear outside of Mario games and overall that game doesn’t portray itself as “Mario x Square Enix IP” anywhere near as much as Mario + Rabbids is, well, “Mario x Rabbids”.

A lot of this is all part of the point I elaborated on right after the image, Mario + Rabbids is on that page, but when you sort by series it gets put in the Others category. That would’ve been a fair place to put Super Mario RPG too, but that’s not what they chose to do. What’s actually missing is Mario & Sonic (technically Mario Bros. too with the Arcade Archives release but I don’t think they’ve ever figured out how to sort that); Nintendo didn’t publish Tokyo 2020 but it’s still on the list of Switch Mario games elsewhere on the site, and the series was featured on the 35th Anniversary twitter (which seemed to pull from the same selection of games as the site) without issue.

Just to note though, Mario & Luigi isn’t here because of its new Switch presence, it was on the site within a year of it opening and stuck around the entire Switch generation (even as most believed it was dead for over four years).

I don’t know if we take a filter in the history section of their webpage as evidence of much of anything. W/o really knowing what their criteria is for the separation I think we can’t delve too deep into this.

(y)
In the end it isn't the primary reason for me believing in Super Mario RPG's future anyway; more of a curosity to note down for the time being (and an example of all three Mario RPG series being presented together which fit into my larger point).

Last edited:
A lot of this is all part of the point I elaborated on right after the image, Mario + Rabbids is on that page, but when you sort by series it gets put in the Others category. That would’ve been a fair place to put Super Mario RPG too, but that’s not what they chose to do. What’s actually missing is Mario & Sonic (technically Mario Bros. too with the Arcade Archives release but I don’t think they’ve ever figured out how to sort that); Nintendo didn’t publish Tokyo 2020 but it’s still on the list of Switch Mario games elsewhere on the site, and the series was featured on the 35th Anniversary twitter (which seemed to pull from the same selection of games as the site) without issue.

Just to note though, Mario & Luigi isn’t here because of its new Switch presence, it was on the site before the Switch even launched and stuck around the entire generation (even as most believed it was dead for over four years).
I don’t know if we take a filter in the history section of their webpage as evidence of much of anything. W/o really knowing what their criteria is for the separation I think we can’t delve too deep into this.

Your edit doesn’t really change much of what I am saying here. It would still be a useless plot point in an overall theory.

Last edited:
Huh, Tanabe didn't work on TTYD but worked on LM2HD? I guess as far as remasters go, he's only touching more low-maintenance stuff... right? I don't get it.

Also what did they need game designers for on this project? I'm assuming control remapping and UI/map reworks.

Huh, Tanabe didn't work on TTYD but worked on LM2HD? I guess as far as remasters go, he's only touching more low-maintenance stuff... right? I don't get it.
probably just getting his people in as many places as he can. as far as I know, Tanabe moved up in position, so touching base on more low maintenance stuff so he can be in more places himself

probably just getting his people in as many places as he can. as far as I know, Tanabe moved up in position, so touching base on more low maintenance stuff so he can be in more places himself
Yeah the vibe I get with him is that he just wants to be involved more closely to newer, more important projects in franchises he works on. He probably gave Risa notes on TTYD and so on. (BTW, did any of you guys know that Keisuke Terasaki, from Tanabe's dept, worked on the Mario & Luigi remakes as a producer? Those had 5 producers for some ungodly reason)

I mean sadly (since I want NLG to do more than just weegee games), it was obvious that NLG was going to make LM4 sooner or later.

Best case it's not and something different. Like I don't want LM to die or anything, but I don't want NLG to be a LM factory with an occasionally sadly mediocre Strikers game in-between. They should stretch their legs and try other things. Hopefully they can finally expand to maybe a roughly 200-strong studio and can more easily do 2 projects at once. Just a shame what Strikers Battle League turned out to be, but who knows who's to blame for that; Nintendo for their bizarre fixation of making these lite GaaS entries, or NLG for how the game was designed and all (not getting Mike Inglehart back to direct if they could've was likely one factor).

Fingers crossed Battle League at least could be used to launch a much better Strikers 4 on Switch 2. Sort of like how (albeit still not perfect) of an upgrade Aces was from Ultra Smash as the latter was more like a tech demo released as a game desperate to fill out holiday 2015.

I mean sadly (since I want NLG to do more than just weegee games), it was obvious that NLG was going to make LM4 sooner or later.

Best case it's not and something different. Like I don't want LM to die or anything, but I don't want NLG to be a LM factory with an occasionally sadly mediocre Strikers game in-between. They should stretch their legs and try other things. Hopefully they can finally expand to maybe a roughly 200-strong studio and can more easily do 2 projects at once. Just a shame what Strikers Battle League turned out to be, but who knows who's to blame for that; Nintendo for their bizarre fixation of making these lite GaaS entries, or NLG for how the game was designed and all (not getting Mike Inglehart back to direct if they could've was likely one factor).

Fingers crossed Battle League at least could be used to launch a much better Strikers 4 on Switch 2. Sort of like how (albeit still not perfect) of an upgrade Aces was from Ultra Smash as the latter was more like a tech demo released as a game desperate to fill out holiday 2015.
NLG is a studio that does more than one project per gen. for sure they wont d a LM5 in switch 2 but a different title.

Back
Top Bottom