• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Mentioned part of it in the Peach Showtime thread, but i'm amazed there's even a small team putting together new content for Super Mario Run now. Nothing notable for the longest time since Odyssey, small log-in rewards advertising certain Mario game launches until 2019. Then early last year we got the Mario Movie free trial and discount event; still no new in-game content but the biggest push the game had seen in a long time; but that changed by the end of the year too with the Wonder Flower event, and now there's a Peach Showtime event with a new mission feature on the horizon:

uwKatjL.png

Based on Run's inclusion in their investor slides discussing the impact of the film I have to assume it was the catalyst for the revitalised support:

CAprphY.png

I'd want to believe they feel skittish about sunsetting their only paid mobile game, but that only explains the minimal oversight required for the ongoing loop of Remix 10 event banners since 2017. Don't think it was players grinding for platinum points to buy NSO icon parts that justified the new content either, lol.

Peach Showtime credits are already up on YouTube. Only click if you don't mind the spoilers, the video thumbnail shows most of the game's bosses and the credits roll itself shows screens from across the game:

Developer shouldn't be a shock anymore but if anyone was truly still doubtful:

0jXcifu.png

Produced and Directed by Etsunobu Ebisu himself; I don't believe he's directed a game since Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon until now.

Last edited:
Peach Showtime credits are already up on YouTube. Only click if you don't mind the spoilers, the video thumbnail shows most of the game's bosses and the credits roll itself shows screesn from across the game:

0jXcifu.png

Produced and Directed by Etsunobu Ebisu himself; I don't believe he's directed a game since Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon until now.

That makes a lot of sense actually... It does play goemon-ish

It's a shame that an Ask The Developpers doesn't seem to be planned for Princess Peach Showime. I would have found it particularly interesting to know how this project came about, when, if it was Nintendo who chose Good Feel or if it was Good Feel who pitched its idea to Nintendo etc.

If Peach did not get a Ask the Developer, I think its safe to say which teams/studios we should expect them from: EPD/Monolith/IS/HAL.

I think Pikmin 4 might be the biggest outlier, since it was co-developed by 8-ing. But either: a) Its Miyamoto's baby (meaning internal EPD IP) or b) There is more EPD staff than 8-ing (would need to double check that).

If Peach did not get a Ask the Developer, I think its safe to say which teams/studios we should expect them from: EPD/Monolith/IS/HAL.

I think Pikmin 4 might be the biggest outlier, since it was co-developed by 8-ing. But either: a) Its Miyamoto's baby (meaning internal EPD IP) or b) There is more EPD staff than 8-ing (would need to double check that).
I don't know about the ratio, but Pikmin 4 was still creatively an EPD project, which is probably less the case with Peach.

Has someone counted the credits already? I'm curious to see the size of the team and if it's seen the huge increase in staff that Nintendo games have been getting lately.

Also, I'm glad that the president of Good Feel himself directed the game after not directing anything since the N64!!

And I do wonder: work on this game started by the time that Yoshi's Crafted World wrapped up? Or is anything/anyone in the credits that points to it starting later? 5 years seems crazy.

Peach Showtime credits are already up on YouTube. Only click if you don't mind the spoilers, the video thumbnail shows most of the game's bosses and the credits roll itself shows screesn from across the game:

0jXcifu.png

Really cool to see the Goemon director take the helm after so long.

Yeah it seems to be the case. It's a shame its not more expanded but what can we do.

Interesting that Takeshi Tateishi was the EPD Art Director for both Peach and Mario RPG.

He joined Nintendo in Early 2017 with his first project being Splatoon 2, before moving to EPD 2. He was also the Art Director for Mario & Sonic 2020 on the Nintendo side (the game has several art directors from different companies).

He could be directly overseeing any EPD 2 Mario/Mario-adjacent projects in the future.

Last edited:
i was looking at the credits and shinya saito is in there again as producer.. i guess hes the new yamagami because hes in almost all of the titles in the position

EAD Ninja did a breakdown, but I don’t know if it’s complete.

Unlike Peach, Pikmin 4 had several EPD staff in lead positions, including planning, which is probably the most important aspect when it comes to these interviews.

Thinking about it, it‘s pretty similar to Tri Force Heroes:

Last edited:
EAD Ninja did a breakdown, but I don’t know if it’s complete.

Unlike Peach, Pikmin 4 had several EPD staff in lead positions, including planning, which is probably the most important aspect when it comes to these interviews.

Thinking about it, it‘s pretty similar to Tri Force Heroes:

wouldnt that be similar to metroid as well? considering it was also a co-development

Quoted by: N75
btw something ive been wondering is how aya kyogoku was promoted to manager in 2019 in epd5 but since then we didn't have any credit for her in splatoon. I guess the manager role is something more internal and not necessarily means they will be involved in a producer or general producer role for all the games unlike in some cases in the past like nogami who was manager and also was producer for the titles on epd5

And I do wonder: work on this game started by the time that Yoshi's Crafted World wrapped up? Or is anything/anyone in the credits that points to it starting later? 5 years seems crazy.

It was about 5 years between Epic Yarn and Woolly World, and 4 years between that and Crafted World. Also keep in mind they did just release their Samurai game in November.

Regardless of their financial relationship, IS and HAL (and SRD) have always felt like the "core" partners of Nintendo. Monolith as well since they have been acquired.
IS was responsible for providing multiple development tools for the NES and providing technical support on a lot of Nintendo's early games, so I'd wager that that's a major factor. The same applies to MonolithSoft and HAL.

Crafted World Associate Producer Nobuo Matsumiya is credited for the first time since Mario & Sonic 2020 outside of supervision. Could be a producer for potential future Good-Feel projects.

Kazuyuki Gofuku (Project Manager) and Emi Watanabe (other Associate Producer) are still uncredited since Crafted World and Mario & Sonic respectively. I believe the latter’s keywords interview was removed from Nintendo’s site at some point and there was a person with the same name credited in FE Engage under “Design” with HAUTECOUTURE INC. We know that she did design the Yarn Yoshi amiibo…

Last edited:
wouldnt that be similar to metroid as well? considering it was also a co-development
Metroid is a co-development, but it’s primarily limited to direction and sound. MercurySteam being in Spain may have also reduced the chances of doing an interview.
btw something ive been wondering is how aya kyogoku was promoted to manager in 2019 in epd5 but since then we didn't have any credit for her in splatoon. I guess the manager role is something more internal and not necessarily means they will be involved in a producer or general producer role for all the games unlike in some cases in the past like nogami who was manager and also was producer for the titles on epd5
I‘ve speculated before that EPD 5 may get specific producers for certain titles like EPD 2, with Nogami also overseeing them like Shinya Saito and Toyokazu Nonaka do for EPD 2 projects.

Curiously, producer Toshiharu Izuno was not credited in Mario Golf: Super Rush, but has been listed under Special Thanks for the last three EPD 5 projects. Splatoon 1/2 director Yusuke Amano has also been a no-show since Octo Expansion outside of a planning supervision role on New Horizons…..

Last edited:
Mentioned part of it in the Peach Showtime thread, but i'm amazed there's even a small team putting together new content for Super Mario Run now. Nothing notable for the longest time since Odyssey, small log-in rewards advertising certain Mario game launches until 2019. Then early last year we got the Mario Movie free trial and discount event; still no new in-game content but the biggest push the game had seen in a long time; but that changed by the end of the year too with the Wonder Flower event, and now there's a Peach Showtime event with a new mission feature on the horizon:

uwKatjL.png

Based on Run's inclusion in their investor slides discussing the impact of the film I have to assume it was the catalyst for the revitalised support:

CAprphY.png

I'd want to believe they feel skittish about sunsetting their only paid mobile game, but that only explains the minimal oversight required for the ongoing loop of Remix 10 event banners since 2017. Don't think it was players grinding for platinum points to buy NSO icon parts that justified the new content either, lol.

what would be the definition of clearing Remix 10 "without any mistakes", especially when how many bonus coins that are available per run can vary.

How is Pikmin 4 an outlier to Ask the Developer? I mean it's a project from internal EPD roots (as opposed to something from HAL, IS, Monolith). Eighting being involved in development doesn't take away the fact that it was an EPD game. There's a lot of examples at Nintendo where their core group (tiny to moderate) developed the base of a game, but enlisted an outside developer to help finish the game.

• Steel Diver
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Face Training DS
  • Brain Age Switch
  • NES Remix

Take NES Remix for example: Koichi Hayashida from Nintendo tooled around with a prototype and programmed the base of the game, before having a few more EPD guys join (mainly sound team) and Indies Zero to finish the product.

I think her role is really to just oversee the Animal Crossing franchise (game machine, mobile, other crossovers). The IP spans across multiple products at this point, and an assistant manager role would qualify her to manage multiple projects. Splatoon is so big it probably has an assistant manager as well.

How is Pikmin 4 an outlier to Ask the Developer? I mean it's a project from internal EPD roots (as opposed to something from HAL, IS, Monolith). Eighting being involved in development doesn't take away the fact that it was an EPD game. There's a lot of examples at Nintendo where their core group (tiny to moderate) developed the base of a game, but enlisted an outside developer to help finish the game.

• Steel Diver
  • Star Fox Zero
  • Face Training DS
  • Brain Age Switch
  • NES Remix

Take NES Remix for example: Koichi Hayashida from Nintendo tooled around with a prototype and programmed the base of the game, before having a few more EPD guys join (mainly sound team) and Indies Zero to finish the product.
What I mean as an outlier is regarding the Ask the Developer. In the search for a possible pattern, I don't think there was one, the only one that was a bit different was Pikmin 4, since we knew 8-ing was involved. But yeah it was still an EPD game. I guess Brain Age would also be in that category since they had helped with Indieszero.

But yeah, there isn't really a define pattern for their interviews.

uwKatjL.png

CAprphY.png

Was the new content for Mario Run created by staff (Nintendo employees, not co-developers) who worked on Dr. Mario World and Dragalia Lost?
If Nintendo has decided not to create a new mobile game, it would make sense to reassemble a small team for Mario Run.

Was the new content for Mario Run created by staff (Nintendo employees, not co-developers) who worked on Dr. Mario World and Dragalia Lost?
If Nintendo has decided not to create a new mobile game, it would make sense to reassemble a small team for Mario Run.
yes, Mario Run was internally made

They back to snagging veteran capcom staff, the lead technical artist from resident evil games and the lead lighting artist from dragons dogma 2 released yesterday,over 30 capcom employees in the last 5 years,its the company they hire the most,weird because they in osaka that dont even have a nintendo office,they got agressive in hiring veteran staff from movies and uhd games probably to ensure a smooth transition to new gen

They back to snagging veteran capcom staff, the lead technical artist from resident evil games and the lead lighting artist from dragons dogma 2 released yesterday,over 30 capcom employees in the last 5 years,its the company they hire the most,weird because they in osaka that dont even have a nintendo office,they got agressive in hiring veteran staff from movies and uhd games probably to ensure a smooth transition to new gen
Capcom is raising wages to fight off studios like Tencent but Nintendo is also a worry for them & others.

To be honest I’m not sure Nintendo is completely finished with smartphone games. The fact that the hype around Mario with the movie has revived interest in Super Mario run is a good indication of how useful it might be in the future, for example around their next diversification projects. We can also imagine games initiated by the smartphone team of EPD that are also on switch, like what The Pokémon company is already doing. Or a bit like the way Nintendo recycled content from Mario kart tour into DLC for switch.

In short, we are far from the initial silly fantasy of incompetent analysts who wanted Nintendo to completely switch its activity in there, but I think there is a smart way to use smartphones and that Nintendo is not done with it. Especially since it will be necessary to give bones to gnaw the incompetents who will not fail to ask Nintendo to put Mario and Zelda on PC because Sony and Microsoft.
Interesting speculation on the future of Fire Emblem and the developers associated with it on the Switch. Great small channel I discovered this week that I recommend btw

This Youtube channel is very interesting, thank you for the recommendation!

Interesting speculation on the future of Fire Emblem and the developers associated with it on the Switch. Great small channel I discovered this week that I recommend btw

is it interesting or is it things we've discussed here already and generally just very basic "previous director might be working on the new one and we're due a remake" type of speculation? I guess this is neat for absolute newbies to this sort of credit speculation but ultimately it doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table, at least nothing with more than tenuous stretches (like the "interview being removed" thing). Also, it's odd he doesn't even mention that we know Engage was done and sitting there for two years.

EPD Tokyo's 2D platformer was in development as of 2020. Possible outcomes

1. New DK game
2. New 2D Mario game with a very different style than Wonder (maybe Maker 3? Maybe something else entirely)
3. Cancelled
4. New Yoshi game
5. New IP
6. Just needed to make 2D sections for their upcoming 3D game and phrased the job ad bizarrely.
7. New Wario Land
8. Other Nintendo IP (New 2D platformer take on Kid Icarus, Zelda, Splatoon, etc)

DK is the most likely, but it's not a lock at all.

1. New DK game
2. New 2D Mario game with a very different style than Wonder (maybe Maker 3? Maybe something else entirely)
3. Cancelled
4. New Yoshi game
5. New IP
6. Just needed to make 2D sections for their upcoming 3D game and phrased the job ad bizarrely.
7. New Wario Land
8. Other Nintendo IP (New 2D platformer take on Kid Icarus, Zelda, etc)

I hope that its a new ip.

Which engine will be the main engine for Nintendo EPD on Switch 2? Lunchpack or the Modulesystem engine?
Right now, ModuleSystem definitely seems like it'll be the standard going forward imo; we've seen series that were using Lunchpack (such as Splatoon) and that used their own engines (such as Zelda) all making the jump to ModuleSystem. At least one non-EPD title has also used it, NST's Mario vs DK, and given their support work for EPD 8 and previous usage of ActionLibrary for F-Zero 99, that possibly indicates even the next 3D Mario will now be using ModuleSystem

There'll probably still be occasional instances like Pikmin 4, where the involvement of an external developer means something like Unreal or Unity makes more sense, but I think by and large we're gonna see ModuleSystem sorta become EPD's version of RE Engine where it's just what they use for pretty much everything

1. New DK game
3. Cancelled
4. New Yoshi game
5. New IP
7. New Wario Land
8. Other Nintendo IP (New 2D platformer take on Kid Icarus, Zelda, Splatoon, etc)

I'm betting that EPD Tokyo's new 2D platformer is either Donkey Kong or a new Yoshi game for a couple of reasons.

1.) Super Nintendo World at Universal has rides that are directly inspired by Donkey Kong (Country) and Yoshi's Island. In addition, those two series have also been or will be a big part of the Mario Movie series. I'm betting that they want to make games to market those rides and movies.

2.) Nintendo EPD in general has been referencing those series in Mario games. Super Mario Odyssey from EPD Tokyo has New Donk City with all of the Donkey Kong references. Meanwhile, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Booster Course Pass from EPD 9 had that Yoshi's Island track that features references to the SNES game. In addition, the two games referenced has not had a new entry in their series by internal Nintendo.

Personally, if I have to guess what the 2D platformer from EPD Tokyo is, it's probably Donkey Kong, due to the fact that EPD Tokyo made a DK game around 2004/2005 with Jungle Beat, as well as the New Donk City references in Mario Odyssey being done by EPD Tokyo.

Also, on a sidenote that may or may not be related, maybe this image from the Nintendo Recruitment Book, published in 2020, may have some hints to it, I don’t know...
1280px-Nintendo_recruitment_book_Daisy_DK_Wart.jpg

Which engine will be the main engine for Nintendo EPD on Switch 2? Lunchpack or the Modulesystem engine?
What's the difference between the two? Are there any major differences in how they deliver the final product or is it more about better tools for developers? I don't really know that much about game engines.

What's the difference between the two? Are there any major differences in how they deliver the final product or is it more about better tools for developers? I don't really know that much about game engines.
Unless Nintendo openly talks about it during a developer conference such as GDC we'll never truly know what are the differences between their internal engines tho it's rarely a case of one modern engine being objectively better than another since not every game has the same needs, at least when we're talking a same generation of hardware (so for example if an engine introduces things such as PBR rendering you could consider it "better").

Like mentionned in another thread, EPD might decide to shift in its entirety to Modulesystem to facilitate assets sharing (3d models, textures, materials, animations, rigs, scripts, etc) accross multiple projects as well as guaranteeing a smooth transition from one game to another for artists, progammers, etc.

This obviously doesn't prevent the use of engines like unreal 4 or unity if there is a significant involvment from third party devs that goes beyond assets creation.
It'll be interesting to see if EPD Tokyo next project is also on Modulesystem since they used to have their own engine up to Odyssey according to datamining (and I can't recall what was the deal with 3D World on Switch)

The whole engine thing seems like a Theseus' ship paradox to me. If you upgrade an engine and you even integrate another engine, when does it stop being the original engine?

Moreover, while it is true that we had ActionLibrary, LunchPak, and the BotW engine, it's not like their games were developed in a vacuum. Lunch and Action had a similar data system, and it is likely they started developing BotW engine as an extension of WW HD engine (itself a port of WW engine, which was also used for TP and SS). Finally, programmers and developers are shared among all the EPD teams.

A consolidation of developing tools and engines most likely took place, but I think the transition was more seamless than we think.

Wasn't it actually said or at least speculated that ModuleSystem was a merger of LunchPack and ActionLibrary? Makes a fuckton of sense to me if so.

Also I would hope Monolith are deeply involved with these engines as they have some damn talented programmers, a recent triumph being that upscaler they introduced in Xenoblade 3 (Digital Foundry went over it), which sounds super similar to what Crash 4 on Switch used via Unreal 4. Basically taking a native lower-res, like 540p for Xenoblade 3, and using the prior frame or two, basically creates new pixels to artificially up the resolution, possibly to 1080p in docked mode I'd assume, since that's 2x (or 4x depending on who you ask) of 540p.

Every game by Nintendo should employ this. It's basically what DLSS is sort of rumored to be Switch 2's secret sauce. Lots of Switch games should be patched with this technique. Particularly Xenoblade 2 and DE, maybe all of Platinum's games and Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore, and Pokken Tournament DX. Just an idea...

As with Retro or even NLG, I wouldn't mind at all, on the contrary, if Monolith continued to develop its own technology and retain some form of autonomy, which their great talent more than justifies.

Aonuma stated to what extent Monolith is involved with Zelda, and I don't think they'll even share the engine
On Skyward Sword, Monolith had mainly helped us on graphics design and other artistic elements. Even though we could have asked them for help on the technical side, we realized their way of making games was completely different from ours and we didn’t have much to learn from them on this installment, since we were almost doing two different jobs. On the other hand, for Breath of the Wild, we’ve been assisted by level designers used to large game areas, in order to make topographic arrangements.

Wasn't it actually said or at least speculated that ModuleSystem was a merger of LunchPack and ActionLibrary? Makes a fuckton of sense to me if so.

Also I would hope Monolith are deeply involved with these engines as they have some damn talented programmers, a recent triumph being that upscaler they introduced in Xenoblade 3 (Digital Foundry went over it), which sounds super similar to what Crash 4 on Switch used via Unreal 4. Basically taking a native lower-res, like 540p for Xenoblade 3, and using the prior frame or two, basically creates new pixels to artificially up the resolution, possibly to 1080p in docked mode I'd assume, since that's 2x (or 4x depending on who you ask) of 540p.

Every game by Nintendo should employ this. It's basically what DLSS is sort of rumored to be Switch 2's secret sauce. Lots of Switch games should be patched with this technique. Particularly Xenoblade 2 and DE, maybe all of Platinum's games and Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore, and Pokken Tournament DX. Just an idea...
Nintendo either likes raw pixel/no filtering, or they don't want to give up bandwidth. there's a technical reason you don't see TAA too much on switch. Drake should be much better here, so we'll see if it's just personal preference

Back
Top Bottom