• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Break the Target being a set amount of variations instead of fully customized for each characters were also likely due to the fact there are more characters than ever. (And with how troubled Brawl's development were, it's not surprising Break the Target was changed to how it is in that game)

Imagine try to pull that off with Ultimate's roster.

The only question is what Sakurai will add if he doesn't care much about online multiplayer or campaign stuff.

The limitations Smash has put on itself has kind of caused it to have to evolve in the "new characters/stages only" way and it needs a bunch of innovative modes to stand out from Ultimate if the online is still bad in the next game.

A roguelite mode is the most obvious, which is why NASB2 has a roguelite mode, but most weren't very happy with the roguelite mode in NASB2 so it could be tough-ish to pull off.

Break the Target being a set amount of variations instead of fully customized for each characters were also likely due to the fact there are more characters than ever. (And with how troubled Brawl's development were, it's not surprising Break the Target was changed to how it is in that game)

Imagine try to pull that off with Ultimate's roster.
The only way I could see them pulling it off is either through a live service aspect where it comes in free every once in a while &/or expand the stage creator to include Board the Platform/Break the Target.

Sakurai also said that Melee, Brawl, and 4 were definitely the last games in the series.
He absolutely did not ever say this. He said something along the lines of making each game as if it were the last (in other words, trying to make the game as good and big as he can so that it can be worthy of being the last and going out with a bang if it somehow did end up being the end of the series—or the end of his involvement in it, at least—and in general just not thinking about a potential future sequel until it comes time for that and instead just focusing on making the current game the best it can be), and he’s talked about it being difficult to imagine making Smash much bigger than it already had gotten without cutting something else, but he never said any Smash Bros. game would definitely be the last.

He absolutely did not ever say this. He said something along the lines of making each game as if it were the last (in other words, trying to make the game as good and big as he can so that it can be worthy of being the last and going out with a bang if it somehow did end up being the end of the series—or the end of his involvement in it, at least—and in general just not thinking about a potential future sequel until it comes time for that and instead just focusing on making the current game the best it can be), and he’s talked about it being difficult to imagine making Smash much bigger than it already had gotten without cutting something else, but he never said any Smash Bros. game would definitely be the last.
You are right. It is my fault for hyperbolizing.

I wanted to convey that what Sakurai is saying for Ultimate is (more or less) what he also said for the previous game.

I don't think there's any real doubt that Nintendo would continue the series without Sakurai, but they'd probably prefer if Sakurai chose the new creative lead for the franchise himself rather than them having to find someone to toss into the role themselves because he's dragging his feet on the issue.

I saw this in my timeline, formerly on Ubisoft Paris M+R team. New position at NoE as Design Coordinator and has a site with M+R art

Congrats to them! This is probably marketing rather than game development, though.

I don't think there's any real doubt that Nintendo would continue the series without Sakurai, but they'd probably prefer if Sakurai chose the new creative lead for the franchise himself rather than them having to find someone to toss into the role themselves because he's dragging his feet on the issue.

Congrats to them! This is probably marketing rather than game development, though.
he is design cordinator on NOE, whenever this mean

he is design cordinator on NOE, whenever this mean
I'm assuming that position is as part of the marketing team at NOE. Could potentially be something else, but unless NERD is growing to have a team focused on game development in addition to their usual MO, a design coordinator position on the marketing team (in this case, would probably mean making sure all promotional material matches brand image and fits within guidelines) is most likely to me.

I really don't get the logic behind 'if Prime 4 fails, Retro will be assigned x franchise'. That's not how Nintendo's development structure operates, and we really don't know the criteria for success for Prime 4. If Retro Studios end up on another franchise, it'll be the result of a proposal being approved by EPD rather than being assigned 'work on commercial valuable thing'. And, in the unlikely event Nintendo decided Retro must make something more commercially profitable than Metroid, Donkey Kong Country is right there.
The core design of Bowser’s Fury was done by EPD actually, iirc.

NST just ported the 3D World portion of the game, and assisted in the technical side of production for Bowser’s Fury.
Not quite; EPD handled the porting aspect and had staff work on Bowser's Fury. 1-UP, the usual 3D Mario co-developers also worked on Bowser's Fury, with NST providing roughly half the staff. NST had a significant role there, for sure, but it was a joint production (as is to be expected). You can see the credits here, including a handy breakdown between EPD, NST and 1-UP. Remember, folks in this thread run Kyoto Report and it's a really cool resource, so make use of it when you want to know stuff!

Mario 3D Subseries is just really popular and is distinctive enough from Odyssey and Wonder style and I don't know if I see a future dev wise with how occupied EPD is.

I don't know if DKC stands out that much from Mario Wonder in general and I think the best path for DKC right now is probably an N'Sane Trilogy like remake of DKC1-3.

Last edited:
That is some big news. Hopefully Nintendo of Europe gets enough people to start making their own games.

Nintendo Europe aren't going to be doing that. There's tons of jobs for someone with artistic talent that aren't necessarily involved in actually producing the videogames.

He has absolutely said on more than one occasion that he doesn't imagine he would be working on the series any more only to turn around and do so anyway.

He's not said that one would be the last presumably because he's not a fool and knows that if he turns it down, they'll just make it with someone else.

He has absolutely said on more than one occasion that he doesn't imagine he would be working on the series any more only to turn around and do so anyway.

He's not said that one would be the last presumably because he's not a fool and knows that if he turns it down, they'll just make it with someone else.
Yes, but that isn’t the same as him saying that a game was “definitely” going to be the last game in the series, which is what I was responding to. He never definitively said that any game was going to be his last or the last in the series. I just wanted to correct that because this is exactly how misinformation spreads.

Yes, but that isn’t the same as him saying that a game was “definitely” going to be the last game in the series, which is what I was responding to. He never definitively said that any game was going to be his last or the last in the series. I just wanted to correct that because this is exactly how misinformation spreads.

He verbatim said "However, as for myself, I don't think there will be." about another smash bros. coming from him. Obviously he changed his mind some time after 2014, but it's right there in plain language.
The only misinformation spreading here is coming from you at this moment.

He verbatim said "However, as for myself, I don't think there will be." about another smash bros. coming from him. Obviously he changed his mind some time after 2014, but it's right there in plain language.
The only misinformation spreading here is coming from you at this moment.
Yes, he said he personally didn’t think there will be. That’s hardly definitive. The post I quoted put emphasis on “definitely” which was absolutely not correct.

You guys need to remember that you're picking apart words from a translation.

It's also rather a nothing debate that's happening here. People change their minds, people make lighthearted jokey comments, people just say things sometimes.

Ill post it here and in the Tech thread. I follow Mika and they retweeting this. Its a behind the scene of using Unity in Engage, really interesting stuff.

I have a hard time believing smash isn't already in development. They like to get this franchise out early in a console's lifespan.

Do we know if Taro Kudo was still with Vanpool when it shut down? The last title he worked on for the company was Chibi-Robo Zip Lash in 2015. He's only worked on the Paper Mario series and the Mario RPG remake since, besides voicing Dillon again for Dead-Heat Breakers (I couldn't tell you if any new lines were even recorded).

He currently seems to be working for Nintendo on a contract basis, so I wonder if he's also been working on TTYD remake as well or possibly moving on to something else.

Last edited:
Do we know if Taro Kudo was still with Vanpool when it shut down? The last title he worked on for the company was Chibi-Robo Zip Lash in 2015. He's only worked on the Paper Mario series and the Mario RPG remake since, besides voicing Dillon again for Dead-Heat Breakers (I couldn't tell you if any new lines were even recorded).

He currently seems to be working for Nintendo on a contract basis, so I wonder if he's also been working on TTYD remake as well or possibly be moving on to something else.
Oh shit, he worked on the Mario RPG remake? He was one of the OGs from the original. Hell, Love-de-Lic was more or less the chunk of said team that didn't form AlphaDream IIRC.

On the subject of Mario RPG, it looks like Cattle Call were responsible for programming the game and have worked with ArtePiazza on several projects.

CALLED IT!

Also I never posted this here, but former AlphaDream producer Yoshihiko Maekawa was credited as a supervisor for Mario RPG. He seems to be listed with the Square Enix staff, but it isn't entirely clear if he's gone back or if he was just a Nintendo contractor like Kudo.

Also I never posted this here, but former AlphaDream producer Yoshihiko Maekawa was credited as a supervisor for Mario RPG. He seems to be listed with the Square Enix staff, but it isn't entirely clear if he's gone back or if he was just a Nintendo contractor like Kudo.

Definitely on the Nintendo side it seems. Also long term I imagine Nintendo continuing to contract him as Mario & RPG port supervisor? Paper Mario additional designer? New Mario RPG/Adventure games? They will have to decide how they are going to brand the series moving forward.

Bandai Namco Studios revealed more about their internal structure

Studio 1 is responsible for Tekken and Ace Combat as some of the examples they gave, plus God Eater 3 and Code Vein. They have 257 staff
Studio 2 we already know as they work on Smash Bros and also work as support for other nintendo games. THey have 152 staff
Studio 3 is Idolmaster, Tales of, Scarlet nexus and blue protocol. its the biggest one with 377

BNS has in total 1.2k employees so its still missing some not counting corporate side i guess. still is interesting seeing how they are organized internally, just wish to know which other franchises they work but i guess this only now looking up what each staff worked on before

Studio 1 is responsible for Tekken and Ace Combat as some of the examples they gave, plus God Eater 3 and Code Vein. They have 257 staff
Studio 2 we already know as they work on Smash Bros and also work as support for other nintendo games. THey have 152 staff
Studio 3 is Idolmaster, Tales of, Scarlet nexus and blue protocol. its the biggest one with 377

BNS has in total 1.2k employees so its still missing some not counting corporate side i guess. still is interesting seeing how they are organized internally, just wish to know which other franchises they work but i guess this only now looking up what each staff worked on before
When it comes to the relationship between Bandai and Nintendo on the third party support front, for the Switch 2 the division to follow will be Studio 3 because they notably haven't done anything on Switch.

Obviously from a first party standpoint it's all about Studio 2.

BNS has in total 1.2k employees so its still missing some not counting corporate side i guess.
Their technical studio has 296 people and their corporate HQ has 60 people, which is about 60 short of 1.2k. The development enhancement studio and sound team don't have numbers, but they should account for the rest.

HOL UP

image.png

for those that don't know, Bamco was developing their own engine. being transferred to "S Studio" would mean this engine is being made for a Nintendo game (specifically Smash)?

HOL UP

image.png

for those that don't know, Bamco was developing their own engine. being transferred to "S Studio" would mean this engine is being made for a Nintendo game (specifically Smash)?
Do you remember when they "started" look at that? Its interesting because their full slate of games coming up: SandLand, DBZSZ, Tekken 8 and I imagine the next Tales of are in UE5 (there are some that I am not sure).

At the very least I hope they change their art direction, their environments are starting to blend.

Do you remember when they "started" look at that? Its interesting because their full slate of games coming up: SandLand, DBZSZ, Tekken 8 and I imagine the next Tales of are in UE5 (there are some that I am not sure).

At the very least I hope they change their art direction, their environments are starting to blend.
February 2022

HOL UP

image.png

Couldn't this also mean that Studio S won't be working solely on Nintendo games, contrary to our assumption? I mean, the link posted about their new engine explicitly talks about open worlds which doesn't seem to fit with Smash.

Couldn't this also mean that Studio S won't be working solely on Nintendo games, contrary to our assumption? I mean, the link posted about their new engine explicitly talks about open worlds which doesn't seem to fit with Smash.
note the date of the linked article. that page was created in 2022. this new technology page was made in Dec 8th 2023. Bamco said they wanted their engine to be usable on everything, for everything, so they were probably talking about their grandest ambitions at the time

and Studio S seems to be a subset of Studio 2. it's speculated that Studio S means Smash, while Studio 2 assists Nintendo on other projects like MK10 and whatever else

Back
Top Bottom