• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct threads always make me feel home \o/
I both hate and love these times of the year lmao

So, are we expecting anything in June? Tbh I‘d love that, but I also think that they can skip this direct and go with an August direct instead (without a September one).

Also for the first time in a while I… don’t want anything? Lol
Maybe only a TotK dlc, but I think it’s too early for that in June. I would also love a release date for Layton but I doubt we will se it before 2024.

So yeah. (Apart from my neverending dream of Bravely Third) this will be the first direct without a strong desire for something in it. Kinda excited tbh

There’s a separate text only release calendar they’ve published for years that only lists full games they publish broken down by region. It’s generally more important than the slides since it always shows every full game, not just highlights like the powerpoint slide here. That calendar will be just Pikmin 4 and Metroid Prime 4 as things stand.
Oh okay, thanks for clarifying.

Just two games, huh? That does make a June Direct more likely, in my opinion.

But again it would be pretty funny for Nintendo to show up with two games.

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying.

Just two games, huh? That does make a June Direct more likely, in my opinion.

But again it would be pretty funny for Nintendo to show up with two games.
They could show up with two games, but then say something like “we have more game announcements set to concide with the unveiling of our new hardware”. Lol they probably wont say that, but we can dream!

June 23rd, Furukawa walks onto the stage at the Investor's Meeting.

"Nintendo Switch has no games."

Leaves

Miyamoto stands up after Furukawa has left the stage: "It has BotW and TotK, and these are no mere games. They transcend the heavens."

Sits down and starts delivering one epic Banjo solo.

Furukawa: Dearest investors, we have realised the main platform for us going forward is mobile. Please see our 2023/2024 release schedule below

FZero Run
Kid Icarus Run
Splatoon Run
Pikmin Run

Switch is now discontinued, thank you for your understanding ‘drops mic’

Furukawa: Dearest investors, we have realised the main platform for us going forward is mobile. Please see our 2023/2024 release schedule below

FZero Run
Kid Icarus Run
Splatoon Run
Pikmin Run

Switch is now discontinued, thank you for your understanding ‘drops mic’

You forgot to mention that there would be another Run thing shadowdropping after the meeting is over.

Furukawa, Runs

Hi everyone. I checked Famiboards before bed and again before heading to work this morning and in that time I was tagged multiple times for a source, even by the same user. While we all are passionate about games and I appreciate the desire for a link to the source, I am not at the beck and call of the members of a spin-off video game forum. We have rules against this for insiders but out of common courtesy it should go for any user. People have their own lives and live in all different time zones, so we should remember the person before posting.

That said, Liam has an excellent track record and does real investigative work for sites like Did You Know Gaming. The Paper Mario remaster was named several times, most recently on the paywalled podcast Off the Record episode #124 from April, which you can see on his patron. The topic was brought up again because youtubers like Nintendo Prime were parroting the rumor that Liam had mentioned previously, so he was cleaning up that situation.

How many remasters do we expect to see the tail end of this year? FZero GX and Kid Icarus Uprising were both also rumoured right? Not sure if we see 3 in the space of six months, could be 2 this year and then use one for the January/February game slot?

How many remasters do we expect to see the tail end of this year? FZero GX and Kid Icarus Uprising were both also rumoured right? Not sure if we see 3 in the space of six months, could be 2 this year and then use one for the January/February game slot?

I don't think Nintendo will throw us more than two remasters in the second half of 2023.

With Baten Kaitos already on the docket, I can't imagine you'll get more than 1 additional this year. KIU isn't really rumored anyway, something with F-Zero is, but I don't think it's ever really be made clear as to what.

This is what I think as well. Gonna say August is Fzero, Sept is TTYD, Oct is Metroid Prime 4 and Mario is November.
This would make for the greatest year of the Switch hands down and it's so wild that you could say that about a console's 7th year.

I can't remember the last time the rumor mill was this dry. Hope that just means that Nintendo has a tight ship with no leaks.

It is either that or this is going to be a very weird second half of the year. Hoping for the former.

I can't remember the last time the rumor mill was this dry. Hope that just means that Nintendo has a tight ship with no leaks.
There aren't even any third party leaks, retail or rating boards, to point towards a Partner Showcase. As of now, June really looks like it has no news for Switch.

There aren't even any third party leaks, retail or rating boards, to point towards a Partner Showcase. As of now, June really looks like it has no news for Switch.
June only looks like it has no news for Switch if you ignore the massive chasms in Nintendo's release schedule.

It really does feel that we are on the cusp of new generation with how clean the slate is and how quiet the future seems. It also feels that we need to hear of news soon, but I just get the vibe that we are not there yet. We are truly in uncharted territory, and anything could happen. Hopefully all will be cleared up by September. Best case is that there is a full slate of games ready and will be shown soon. Worst case is that next gen is still far off, and Nintendo is planning on coasting for the next year and a half on small titles and remasters.

June only looks like it has no news for Switch if you ignore the massive chasms in Nintendo's release schedule.
I mean, they could reveal a full fall winter schedule in the September Direct, revealing games to be released in October and onwards but yes, that leaves a big summer gap between Pikmin 4 and whatever their next game is.

Fall is also empty third party wise. We don't have even one third of 2022's major fall releases. MK1, Infinity Strash, Disgaea 7 and that game. Where are Namco, Sega and Capcom?

I mean, they could reveal a full fall winter schedule in the September Direct, revealing games to be released in October and onwards but yes, that leaves a big summer gap between Pikmin 4 and whatever their next game is.

Fall is also empty third party wise. We don't have even one third of 2022's major fall releases. MK1, Infinity Strash, Disgaea 7 and that game. Where are Namco, Sega and Capcom?
That also leaves Nintendo with no upcoming games to talk about at both Gamescom and one of their upcoming investor briefings. That's not happening.

Has there ever been a Nintendo Direct without leaks or insider knowledge? If not, everything indicates that we really won't have one in June despite the empty calendar for the summer.

Even if there is literally nothing in 2023 after July, it's still going to be a good year for Switch based on Metroid Prime Remastered, TotK, and Pikmin 4 alone.

Has there ever been a Nintendo Direct without leaks or insider knowledge? If not, everything indicates that we really won't have one in June despite the empty calendar for the summer.
Even when Directs do leak, it's usually fairly close to the event itself.

People have asked before, and I'll ask it again: is there any good reason to frontload H1 so much and leave barely anything for H2? If they were really running out of games to release this year, they would have spaced out releases a bit more in the first place, right?

That's why I'm confident we will get more news before Pikmin 4 comes out. June would be preferable so that they could spend more time in July promoting Pikmin 4. There's 5 months this year that are unaccounted for. I wouldn't be surprised if August and December have no releases, but there's a lot they can fit in between September-November. Throw in some DLC updates and announcements, then maybe one 2024 game, and suddenly you have more than enough content for a June direct. Then, in September, they could clarify release dates if needed and start talking about H1 2024.

People have asked before, and I'll ask it again: is there any good reason to frontload H1 so much and leave barely anything for H2? If they were really running out of games to release this year, they would have spaced out releases a bit more in the first place, right?

That's why I'm confident we will get more news before Pikmin 4 comes out. June would be preferable so that they could spend more time in July promoting Pikmin 4. There's 5 months this year that are unaccounted for. I wouldn't be surprised if August and December have no releases, but there's a lot they can fit in between September-November. Throw in some DLC updates and announcements, then maybe one 2024 game, and suddenly you have more than enough content for a June direct. Then, in September, they could clarify release dates if needed and start talking about H1 2024.
Nintendo's current development structure is inefficient and leading to less overall games this generation. That's why H2 is barren and H1 was "front-loaded".

Any big games Nintendo has in development (i.e. 3D Mario) are probably being saved for Switch 2 at this point.

I think pretty much everyone here agrees we'll get news in some form before the summer ends. It's more so a matter of how we get that news that we're not so sure about (general direct, partner, indie showcase, etc).

They always have something in June, even if it's game-specific presentations.

I think probably the bare minimum we can expect is the next Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Course wave.

Hi everyone. I checked Famiboards before bed and again before heading to work this morning and in that time I was tagged multiple times for a source, even by the same user. While we all are passionate about games and I appreciate the desire for a link to the source, I am not at the beck and call of the members of a spin-off video game forum. We have rules against this for insiders but out of common courtesy it should go for any user. People have their own lives and live in all different time zones, so we should remember the person before posting.

That said, Liam has an excellent track record and does real investigative work for sites like Did You Know Gaming. The Paper Mario remaster was named several times, most recently on the paywalled podcast Off the Record episode #124 from April, which you can see on his patron. The topic was brought up again because youtubers like Nintendo Prime were parroting the rumor that Liam had mentioned previously, so he was cleaning up that situation.
There's also one thing that is forgotten about Liam: he knew about Paper Mario : Color Splash over one month ahead of reveal, when it was in the localization/testing phase.

Boy am I ready to see Arlo's reaction to this when it's revealed.

No Nintendo...

Means nothing. Those are things he feels comfortable about. He's said that he hasn't really heard anything but speculated that they may just be doing some small things here and there. Which is the same thing he said would happen last year. He's probably going to speak on this more this week or next week with all of these events coming up.

To be fair, we are just starting up E3 season (I will always call early June E3 season. Dont @ me)

There will be a lot of release dates and other announcements over the next 2~3 weeks.

Nintendo's current development structure is inefficient and leading to less overall games this generation. That's why H2 is barren and H1 was "front-loaded".

Any big games Nintendo has in development (i.e. 3D Mario) are probably being saved for Switch 2 at this point.
You didn't answer the question of "why not do a better job of spreading out the H1 content through H2 if they have nothing". We all believe a good chunk of Nintendo's teams are likely working on content for the Switch successor which is why there are "no major games after TotK". That doesn't explain why they didn't space out Engage, Prime Remaster, Dreamland Deluxe, Origins, Reboot Camp, Fell Xenologue, Future Redeemed, and Tears of the Kingdom. Nintendo pushed out the next Kirby and Bayonetta game less then a year after the prior one, both titles could have easily been H2 2023 games if H2 2023 is actually barren.

sorry people, I haven't incinerated 1 000 000 Super Mario Sunshine copies yet, it's why Nate hasn't said anything so far. I'm currently at 434 567 copies sent to hell.

Means nothing. Those are things he feels comfortable about. He's said that he hasn't really heard anything but speculated that they may just be doing some small things here and there. Which is the same thing he said would happen last year. He's probably going to speak on this more this week or next week with all of these events coming up.
Agree with everything except the first part, it probably means a lot.

We’ve known about that with less specifics, he probably just forgot.
We knew it's happening, but didn't know the date and clearly neither did he.

Actually, it just dawned on me that this entire list is just things that are publically known, the only leak was the Playstation Showcase and that's something he was very confident on for like 3 months, so I don't think we are supposed to read much into it.

Also, he's already said he thinks Nintendo will announce stuff, but he's not confident in a Direct and expects Twitter drops - this is pretty much the same thing he's said in some previous years where he had them on the list as "wildcard" (or something like that), so their absence doesn't really change anything.

That also leaves Nintendo with no upcoming games to talk about at both Gamescom and one of their upcoming investor briefings. That's not happening.

Do they talk about pre release games at investor briefings? And do they need new games at Gamescom? Didn't they attend an expo recently without any unreleased games?

Last edited:
We knew it's happening, but didn't know the date and clearly neither did he.

Actually, it just dawned on me that this entire list is just things that are publically known, the only leak was the Playstation Showcase and that's something he was very confident on for like 3 months, so I don't think we are supposed to read much into it.

Also, he's already said he thinks Nintendo will announce stuff, but he's not confident in a Direct and expects Twitter drops - this is pretty much the same thing he's said in some previous years where he had them on the list as "wildcard" (or something like that), so their absence doesn't really change anything.
He usually posts things he’s heard about even if he doesn’t know specific or official dates like “Sony show sometime before May 24.” So yeah probably nothing changed on the Nintendo front from his original stance unfortunately.

No one has really provided a compelling reason why known sitter on of games Nintendo would suddenly have a drastic drop-off in their schedule instead of just sitting on some stuff to space it out better.
I think pretty much everyone here agrees we'll get news in some form before the summer ends. It's more so a matter of how we get that news that we're not so sure about (general direct, partner, indie showcase, etc).
The "nothing until September" contingent seems larger than expected.
Do they talk about pre release games at investor briefings? And do they need new games at Gamescom? Didn't they attend an expo recently without any unreleased games?
Historically, Nintendo typically has demos of upcoming games at Gamescom. They also always touch upon their upcoming lineup at investor briefings, and showing up with just "Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)" is sure to draw some undesired questions.

Historically, Nintendo typically has demos of upcoming games at Gamescom. They also always touch upon their upcoming lineup at investor briefings, and showing up with just "Metroid Prime 4 (TBA)" is sure to draw some undesired questions.

The only question I want to hear out of investors is when will we get DS and Gamecube games on the NSO.

What if the Paper Mario remastered... releases in june?
the-avengers-marvel.gif

People are making too much sense for a June Direct and a shadow drop of a beloved title would send me over the moon...but I gotta stay on the September train

I mean, last time the schedule was this dry in peak Covid simply meant no news was no news. Some could make the argument that the situation has evolved dramatically and it shouldn't be cause for concern, but I can't say I blame folks for being a little cynical and wanting to wait for the official announcement before getting excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom