• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only event I’ve been to regularly that had Nintendo games to demo was Comic Con. Some years they had a huge range of awesome upcoming games to demo while others had very little new and a bunch of old stuff. (Worst year was just Monster Hunter and Metroid Prime Blast Ball lol)

I’ve never been to Gamescom, but I’d find it very hard to believe they’d go there without at least a few upcoming games to demo.
It would be really weird for Nintendo to show up and be like "Here you go, demos for TOTK and... I dunno, Mario Kart 8 again for some reason. Hey, it works every year for the holiday bundle."

It only means the insiders haven't heard anything. Insiders don't seem to have been getting a lot of good Nintendo info in general, lately.
or we've made things so toxic for insiders that what's the point in saying a thing especially when Nintendo will literally sit on a finished game from a long period of time?

or we've made things so toxic for insiders that what's the point in saying a thing especially when Nintendo will literally sit on a finished game from a long period of time?
if this is really the case then we've all done Nintendo a great service

EmbellishedRadiantArmyant-size_restricted.gif

I mean that really is a nothing story when it comes from Nintendo. Like is he assuming nothing until September and then one after that? Like that's the only way this is a story worth talking about lmao.

I assumed it was a joke given the common sense of the post. It's been a while since either Sony or Nintendo didn't have a presentation of some sort right before TGS.

He writes for Kotaku. Not a rando, probably has connections, may not know the whole story

Kotaku's reputation is so in the gutter at this point I would trust a twitter rando over the average Kotaku writer.

And nothing for the XBOX fans because we're always in a constant state of "what are these 100 studios working on?".

Microsoft already announced an upcoming show.

Kotaku's reputation is so in the gutter at this point I would trust a twitter rando over the average Kotaku writer.
I mean aside from the weird WW2 fascist thing which was 1 guy (maybe a high up guy tbf idk) I think it's mainly just reactionaries which is kinda same old, though I guess the black listings we're hearing of are relatively new. But to the actual industry I don't think they're that low

I don't see how leaks could be "plugged" or how insiders can't know anything as long as there's third party content in an upcoming Direct. Remember that the date for the June partner showcase last year was casually leaked by Alanah Pearce on Twitch three weeks prior, that's how much of an open secret it was. Partners preparing stuff for Directs is always bound to create rumors.

The only way to reconcile the lack of chatter with a presentation coming soon is that it's only first party I guess. I think it makes more sense to believe preparation for a Direct haven't started yet so it won't happen until July/August, or that Nintendo plan to share information in a different way (Twitter for instance).

Kotaku confirming out of the blue the September Direct is a great way to kick off the Week, NGL.

I don't see how leaks could be "plugged" or how insiders can't know anything as long as there's third party content in an upcoming Direct. Remember that the date for the June partner showcase last year was casually leaked by Alanah Pearce on Twitch three weeks prior, that's how much of an open secret it was. Partners preparing stuff for Directs is always bound to create rumors.

The only way to reconcile the lack of chatter with a presentation coming soon is that it's only first party I guess. I think it makes more sense to believe preparation for a Direct haven't started yet so it won't happen until July/August, or that Nintendo plan to share information in a different way (Twitter for instance).
The last summer Partner Showcase was open secret, that's true. But I could argue that's due to Mario Rabbids Showcase that was leaked also beforehand that it would air supposedly day after the Direct, which was true. Not to mention that many people said that Direct would be on 29th, because they confused it with Rabbids Showcase. (including Alanah). One might imagine that this Direct was known so far in advance because it had Ubisoft it in in bigger capacity, which is notiriously known for leaking stuff. And 2) it was in fact Partner Showcase, so only Partners were involved, something like this can be more leaky just because it's solely based on Partners.

Either way, people should not take it as precedenc that Direct will always leak 2-3 weeks before airing, for example we got Partner Showcases in August, September and October 2020. I don't remember hearing any rumors of these. February General Direct 2023, while being one of the easiest to predict was not confirmed by Grubb around at minimum 5 days before airing, Nate said only like 3 days before airing in a podcast that "it's happening this week". And am sure he is long gone from teasing Directs way in advance, even if he knows about them. If someone remember the June 2022 speculation when people were harsh on him for like "he said it will be General" or things like that, when he never confirmed it's branding.

TLDR: The fact that some Directs are "known" or rumored way in advance does not mean that this applies to every single Direct.

Last edited:
I feel like I haven’t seen anything good from Kotaku since Schreier left
Well a private equity group bought their parent company in 2019 and basically everyone working at Kotaku left after new management turned out to be kinda scummy. So these days it’s mostly just one more click bait factory.

If the insiders aren't hearing nothing yet, doesn't that mean we are not going to have a Nintendo Direct soon?
We're in the unique position of insider knowledge being completely at odds with what Nintendo is known to do and needs to do. There are a few reconciliations besides "insiders don't know shit anymore" though: a first-party only showcase and separate first-party announcements come to mind.
I mean that really is a nothing story when it comes from Nintendo. Like is he assuming nothing until September and then one after that? Like that's the only way this is a story worth talking about lmlmao.
The general consensus I'm seeing is that insiders are hearing (probably from third party contacts) that Nintendo will have something later than usual.

June is nearly upon us, so a Direct of some description is likely on the horizon. Since this seems to be a quiet year for Nintendo, not sure what to really expect.

I want the direct to be the first week of July so nobody wins between the "no direct soon" and "direct in June" people :p

Im gonna call nintendo and tell them it would be great if they could throw a general nintendo direct. That will make it happen, im sure of it.

@LukasManak22, if a Nintendo Direct is imminent to happen, when would it be and what games do you expect to be announced?
Third week of June, the 22nd is the latest day imo it will happen. The week before that on June 14/15th being more likely.

Splatoon 3: Side Order
Booster Course Pass Wave 5
New 2D Mario
Metroid Prime 4
more from Pikmin 4
TotK DLC (if there is one)
Something from NDCude (Mario Party related or AC spinoff?)
F-Zero GX

Maybe one more casual thing ala Tomadochi? Not sure.

EPD4 is no show at this Direct, 1-2 Switch 2 is dead and they already moved to another system. Ring Fit 2 is also not happening.

Third week of June, the 22nd is the latest day imo it will happen. The week before that on June 14/15th being more likely.

New 2D Mario
Metroid Prime 4
more from Pikmin 4
F-Zero GX

EPD4 is no show at this Direct, 1-2 Switch 2 is dead and they already moved to another system. Ring Fit 2 is also not happening.
That would be a great Direct.

Hmmm Nintendo’s been awfully quiet on Twitter today🤔
They were fairly quiet throughout the entirety of last week :confused:
Also, if they were to announce anything today it would've happened ~20 minutes ago.

Either way Nintendo will most likely go after SGF and Xbox so we shouldn't be expecting anything right now.

I don’t think we will be getting a general direct till after Pikmin 4. With out E3 there is no reason Nintendo has to present anything in June. They will give give Pikmin 4 a big trailer/ presentation end of June or early July and put focus on that game.

August or September will be when we get the rest of the years slate. Nintendo is not afraid of extremely small announcement to release windows, so I could easily see September to December games dated in said presentation.

I understand why people think we have to get some announcements in June but I just don’t think it is as needed as some think. I want as much as the next to have a big direct in June so let’s hope my prediction is wrong and it’s here real soon.

Does Nintendo ever tweet a Direct after a period of quiet? I think as much as we like to believe they're intentionally being quiet as a build up, most Directs are announced when they're already fairly active the week ahead and even over the weekend.

Also, mildly unrelated, but is Annapurna Interactive set to have a game showcase again like they did last year in July? That was honestly the only gaming event I genuinely enjoyed all of last summer.

Does Nintendo ever tweet a Direct after a period of quiet? I think as much as we like to believe they're intentionally being quiet as a build up, most Directs are announced when they're already fairly active the week ahead and even over the weekend.

Also, mildly unrelated, but is Annapurna Interactive set to have a game showcase again like they did last year in July? That was honestly the only gaming event I genuinely enjoyed all of last summer.
Not sure if they'll have their own showcase, but they'll be part of the SGF in some way.

New 2D Mario
Metroid Prime 4
more from Pikmin 4
F-Zero GX

Pretty good list, but where's Paper Mario TTYD HD?

Pretty good list, but where's Paper Mario TTYD HD?
While it can obviously happen, and Gamecube remasters are coming, as reffered by people like Emily, however I don't think TTYD has any real rumor substance right now, there is that one Fami rumor but that's about it, I don't consider that credible at all. It's rumored for so long that someone will eventually be right.

While it can obviously happen, and Gamecube remasters are coming, as reffered by people like Emily, however I don't think TTYD has any real rumor substance right now, there is that one Fami rumor but that's about it, I don't consider that credible at all. It's rumored for so long that someone will eventually be right.
There's no TTYD remaster because Nintendo is using those resources to remaster Star Fox Adventures and Assault instead

There has to be a June direct because it will be the sixth anniversary of Metroid Prime 4's announcement and they feel really bad about making us wait so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom