• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
You all need to remember the early August they have another earnigs. Yes, they don't care about these and can (and already did couple of times Direct just day after it or week after it) but they will not be quiet until early August and literally only show this on their schedule: Metroid Prime 4 (temp.) TBA, as funny at that would be it's completely unrealistic. Yes, earnings/investor meetings are not indicate of anything, as these are not related to game announcements, but they are not showing only 1 single game on their schedule, and it even is TBA. Even Wii U had at least 3 games on it's schedule when it was on death bed, we currently have only 2.

The annoying thing about Playstation going early with their presentation is that we have to wait another week and a half before anything else happens, so this week is completely empty.

Unless some other company who has nothing scheduled has something planned.... cough cough

Shocking news: Nintendo, who puts on multiple digital showcases a year, will have more digital showcases

Nah, we have it on good authority that this game company plans to stop releasing games, therefore they cannot do digital showcases to show games.

The annoying thing about Playstation going early with their presentation is that we have to wait another week and a half before anything else happens, so this week is completely empty.

Unless some other company who has nothing scheduled has something planned.... cough cough
Different thing, but I appreciate an empty week to enjoy SGDQ! Plus we have both We Love Katamari and Street Fighter VI to enjoy this week.

My sources are also confirming that Sony and Nintendo will hold additional digital showcases this year. Stay tuned and stay alert. Subscribe to my Patreon below for the latest news

If there's not going to be a Direct, let's turn this thread into a countdown to the Fall/Winter. I'm already tired of the heat.

My sources are also confirming that Sony and Nintendo will hold additional digital showcases this year. Stay tuned and stay alert. Subscribe to my Patreon below for the latest news

instructions unclear, clicked around in your sig for a patreon and now I have multiple toad amiibos and a lifesize statue

If come June no one hints at it most likely we aren't getting anything then. No Direct until September would probably mean no 1st Party game until, at least, mid or late October (unless they do a shadowdrop in the Sept Direct if it exists).
I agree, but why would they be going to Gamescom? I think this year the leakers must surely not know something

OK another possibility has arrived:

This summer Nintendo tweets out the announcement of a Blue Ocean / casual game (e.g. Tomadachi Life 3, 1-2 Switch sequel) for release in August or September. Then around August they do a larger showcase announcing games for the rest of the fiscal year.

• with Switch slowing down, it makes sense they might not have enough for two more full directs this year. Those two Directs were always the two closest and a bit of a stretch to fill out at times anyway. This strategy would cover the same time frame in one direct.
  • we already know they tweet Blue Ocean stuff separately from Directs
  • leaves a lot of attention on Zelda, the mainstay which will continue to drive interest as long as people continue to make gundams on twitter, and Pikmin, the brand they have been trying to grow (Pikmin Bloom)
  • gets something on the release calendar so they are not going 3+ months without releasing a game, not waiting too long to announce games that are coming later this year, and leaves them enough time to market holiday title(s)

This would also fit with the more pessimistic mood set by some insider types (e.g. Chris Dring saying he heard Nintendo is going later in the year, Andy Robinson and Jeff Grubb personally speculating that Nintendo is not going to do anything this summer).
This is pretty much my thinking. If you're going to keep all your 2024 titles underwraps, you don't need seperate June and September Directs to announce things for 2023.

I agree, but why would they be going to Gamescom? I think this year the leakers must surely not know something
I think we're in (ba dum tss) uncharted territory this year. Could see either a July Mini in the Pikmin 4 vicinity or a consolidation of the E3/TGS Directs in August ahead of Nintendo's Gamescom presence

Gamescom is the thing that near guarantees we'll get some sort of announcements this summer (near* because it's slightly possible they pull a weird Nintendo card and just bring old games).

But at this point I also just assume it's gonna be for a mini (partner or otherwise) or Twitter drops like Grubb seems to think. Hell, it could also just be an Indie Direct we get this summer before Gamescom and the more likely September pre-TGS one.

Sure, insiders/leakers might usually know more than us when it comes to presentations and stuff
but we have to think about the fact they just might.. not know for once

it's entirely possible no one knows anything, and it's going to come out of nowhere

Gamescom is the thing that near guarantees we'll get some sort of announcements this summer (near* because it's slightly possible they pull a weird Nintendo card and just bring old games).

But at this point I also just assume it's gonna be for a mini (partner or otherwise) or Twitter drops like Grubb seems to think. Hell, it could also just be an Indie Direct we get this summer before Gamescom and the more likely September pre-TGS one.
I doubt they’d Twitter drop anything major. IIRC the last time they did that was… what, Origami King? If that? We’ll probably get a Mini or a Partner showcase or something, if I had to guess. Not really feeling a full Direct until at least September.

I'd absolutely love this summer to clearly demonstrate that the leaks have been plugged, as it were
Yeah, if anything only few days before we would actually hear something. Not to mention than I don't remember anyone to talk about any other Partner Showcase beforehand (only the first one in July 2020), and the latest one, others I don't remember. Of course this will not be a Partner but am saying that there is not a precedent for a Direct to be known for sure, even more as these were 3rd party.

I'm still thinking mid June for a general, with late July as my back up window.

I'll stop banking on mid June if we get to not mid June and there's no Direct. Something'll happen though: Pokemon Presents, a general Direct, or Pikmin Direct are all on the cards as far as I'm concerned.

The absolutely latest day this General Direct is coming is June 22nd. If you are talking about Mini, you aren't getting a Yeah from me, sorry.

from my understanding that's not really what Gamescom is for; it's much more of a trade fair than a fan convention
In 2019 I think they had basically their whole fall lineup available to demo sans Ring Fit (which was a special non-Direct announcement later). One would think they'd do something similar this year, and get most of the games announced beforehand so they can do that.

Tezuka or Amano or who knows whoelse is going to Gamescom to show new 2D Mario gameplay, just like Koizumi brought Luncheon Kingdom to Gamescom 2017, easiest prediction of my speculating carrier.

The only event I’ve been to regularly that had Nintendo games to demo was Comic Con. Some years they had a huge range of awesome upcoming games to demo while others had very little new and a bunch of old stuff. (Worst year was just Monster Hunter and Metroid Prime Blast Ball lol)

I’ve never been to Gamescom, but I’d find it very hard to believe they’d go there without at least a few upcoming games to demo.

Third parties have shown off things without Nintendo being there. The fact that they are returning to Gamescom indicates they have something to show
For some reason I’m genuinely thinking there’s a high chance Nintendo just goes while advertising solely games that are already out, not even bothering to make new demos for any of them

For some reason I’m genuinely thinking there’s a high chance Nintendo just goes while advertising solely games that are already out, not even bothering to make new demos for any of them
I'd say that's highly unlikely, they'll show off games coming later in 2023.

If the insiders aren't hearing nothing yet, doesn't that mean we are not going to have a Nintendo Direct soon?
We're in the unique position of insider knowledge being completely at odds with what Nintendo is known to do and needs to do. There are a few reconciliations besides "insiders don't know shit anymore" though: a first-party only showcase and separate first-party announcements come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom