• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly not sure I want Mario & Luigi back. I did not like Paper Jam, that game bored me to the point where I simply dropped it. The first three games were excellent (even partners in time) but I feel like that series lost it’s magic, and I have even more trouble envisioning it done by a different developer in modern Nintendo style.

I’d rather just a entirely brand new type of Mario RPG line at this point.

Famiboards predictions some days be like

Nintendo will:
  • port Mario Kart 8 forever (they're out of ideas)
  • port Smash Ultimate forever (they're out of ideas)
  • make New Super Mario Bros 3 (they're out of ideas)

Famiboards predictions some days be like

Nintendo will:
  • port Mario Kart 8 forever (they're out of ideas)
  • port Smash Ultimate forever (they're out of ideas)
  • make New Super Mario Bros 3 (they're out of ideas)
Tears of the Kingdom will be Breath of the Wild 1.2

wink wink nudge nudge

Tears of the Kingdom will be Breath of the Wild 1.2

wink wink nudge nudge
lol that's fair

I tend to think Nintendo sucks in the short term but have faith in the long term, others seem to think Nintendo is the best in the short term but have no hope for the future

Honestly not sure I want Mario & Luigi back. I did not like Paper Jam, that game bored me to the point where I simply dropped it. The first three games were excellent (even partners in time) but I feel like that series lost it’s magic, and I have even more trouble envisioning it done by a different developer in modern Nintendo style.

I’d rather just a entirely brand new type of Mario RPG line at this point.

I wonder who Nintendo would get to make a new Mario RPG series. Alpha Dream is obviously out. It might have to be a new development team/company.

Okay uh I think I’m gonna try to avoid criticizing Arlo here, you guys really gang up on him for whatever reason, as if he’s some whinny, entitled Nintendo hater when that really isn’t the case? Especially recently, he’s been really down to Earth in most of his videos, like, the last time I recall him getting really angered by something that we weren’t all upset by as well was… Origami King? Almost three years ago?

Yeah, the predictions this year, while having some good points, weren’t the most logical, but honestly, considering both him and his editor talked about some ridiculous burnout during the production of the video a few weeks back, this comes as no surprise to me.

Basically, y’all gotta give the blue man a break

2023 looks barren for Nintendo games, just like 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018. 2017 looked like before each years first big Direct/Direct mini/Presentations back in January of said years.

like in my mind tears of the kingdom could be used as evidence for the "nintendo is out of ideas" people but I take it more as them wanting to get a little more out of the biggest map they've ever made rather than emblematic of creative issues

is reusing something because it was expensive a creative issue? perhaps, but I don't think it suggests they're incapable of making something new

Arlo is only good imo when he talks about the hyper-specific things that interest him. His 4-hour review of Pikmin 1 was actually very enjoyable. He has a few select, niche things that he really loves and it can be fun to hear him talk about those things, but when he tries to speak about Nintendo as a whole or the industry or anything else, you realize he really doesn't know what he's talking about at all.
His 3 hour review of BOTW was also excellent.

And although I feel like he is too harsh with Paper Mario, at least he has enough passion about the games to dedicate so many resources discussing about them.

Nintendo's new AR mobile game?
I'm sorry but WTF is with this thumbnail??? Switch Phone???

un5ia7k09d451.jpg

like in my mind tears of the kingdom could be used as evidence for the "nintendo is out of ideas" people but I take it more as them wanting to get a little more out of the biggest map they've ever made rather than emblematic of creative issues

is reusing something because it was expensive a creative issue? perhaps, but I don't think it suggests they're incapable of making something new
What's funny about trying to use TotK as an example of them being out of ideas is the fact that the game was literally born of the team having too many.

Okay uh I think I’m gonna try to avoid criticizing Arlo here, you guys really gang up on him for whatever reason, as if he’s some whinny, entitled Nintendo hater when that really isn’t the case? Especially recently, he’s been really down to Earth in most of his videos, like, the last time I recall him getting really angered by something that we weren’t all upset by as well was… Origami King? Almost three years ago?

Yeah, the predictions this year, while having some good points, weren’t the most logical, but honestly, considering both him and his editor talked about some ridiculous burnout during the production of the video a few weeks back, this comes as no surprise to me.

Basically, y’all gotta give the blue man a break

Yeah I don't really get the hate for Arlo either. He clearly isn't some kind of super in depth video game journalist/critic, but it's not like he pretends to be either. Most of his content is just pretty light & watchable takes on various topics that he's interested in. It's not gonna appeal to everyone but there's nothing inherently offensive about it to me.

What's funny about trying to use TotK as an example of them being out of ideas is the fact that the game was literally born of the team having too many.
yeah, tears of the kingdom is only botw 1.2 because it was dlc that went out of scope, that's based

definitely not comparable to the prospect of porting mario kart 8 again or resuming new soup after ten years

I mean they're making a new map anyway. We don't know how large the total landmass of the sky islands are, there's what looks to be a Great Plateau sized island in the distance in the last teaser. We may very well end up having a near-BotW-sized map overlapping vertically with the previous one. Personally I think a lot of these expectations for the game are lowballed, I have a lot of faith in this team.

I mean they're making a new map anyway. We don't know how large the total landmass of the sky islands are, there's what looks to be a Great Plateau sized island in the distance in the last teaser. We may very well end up having a near-BotW-sized map overlapping vertically with the previous one. Personally I think a lot of these expectations for the game are lowballed, I have a lot of faith in this team.
Same here, to all this.

I can't wait for TotK to be the modern equivalent of a LttP dungeon map, with BotW's map being only 1F.

oooh

great plateau and eventide island were two highlights of my botw experience... I didn't realize how the sky setup is going to create ample opportunity for more of those! They could really accomplish a nice balance (vs disconnected Shrines) with puzzlebox style islands. Something ala windwaker where the "ocean" is replaced by the underlying "ground"

I mean that's definitely based but the zelda team is the epd group I personally have the least faith in so they're sort of a sore spot for me

????

When was the last time he even made some? I can’t recall him ever making any outrageous predictions other than Smash getting another FF7 rep… WHICH ACTUALLY CAME TRUE
I feel like I saw him promote a recent prediction vid or podcast he just did.

Also before this gets out of hand, I was merely joking because he was always overenthusiastic and making unrealistic predictions. It was not "hate" lol.

I feel like I saw him promote a recent prediction vid or podcast he just did.

Also before this gets out of hand, I was merely joking because he was always overenthusiastic and making unrealistic predictions. It was not "hate" lol.
I honestly forget he’s even a Nintendo YouTuber sometimes lol, for whatever reason I can’t recall a Nintendo vid he’s done more than a day after it’s dropped, I keep assuming most of his Nintendo output is his videos with that guy

His 3 hour review of BOTW was also excellent.

And although I feel like he is too harsh with Paper Mario, at least he has enough passion about the games to dedicate so many resources discussing about them.

I'm sorry but WTF is with this thumbnail??? Switch Phone???

un5ia7k09d451.jpg

You know dem YouTubers do anything for clickbait

Wait, rogersbase still exists? oO
i really hope you're right ... but then again, if it does not work out like people hope then i hope they at least see it as an experiment that didn't pan out and recreate maps in the future, since, honestly, im not sure if reworking a map is not more work then creating a new one, or at least an comparable amount of work.
them being able to create an experience where im somewhere new for hours befor revisiting the ground for a short resuply would be a great position to be.
Eventide and the great plateau where 2 of the best places in the game,
but that was also because they felt organic. Having every island in the sky be "yeah, now you are stuck without this and that" would feel to formulaic.

I honestly forget he’s even a Nintendo YouTuber sometimes lol, for whatever reason I can’t recall a Nintendo vid he’s done more than a day after it’s dropped, I keep assuming most of his Nintendo output is his videos with that guy
Yeah, I generally liked his attitude towards things. Didn't treat shit seriously so he was nice to have on the vids with the old gamexplain crew. However, his unwillingness(at the start) to dump that POS made it easy for me to unfollow his youtube and stop consuming most of his content.

How do you forget that? It's like 90% of the content he puts out.

Edit: Also who is "that person" we're not mentioning by name?

I wonder who Nintendo would get to make a new Mario RPG series. Alpha Dream is obviously out. It might have to be a new development team/company.
I have no idea. But i’d like to be surprised. It would be neat if they brought back Square Enix, or even allowed Intelligent Systems to work on a more traditional RPG (seperate from the PM series)

A future look into the comments section:

"i'm getting really sick of that treiii guy talking about starfox all the time. his rockman taisen shit's getting old too."
Another future look:

“DecoReturns needs to shut the eff up about Pokémon Colosseum, never happening and nobody wants it”

lol that's fair

I tend to think Nintendo sucks in the short term but have faith in the long term, others seem to think Nintendo is the best in the short term but have no hope for the future
I do think you're spot on tbf about discourse around Nintendo. There's an almost irrational assumption they're going to do something terrible/self-defeating. (edit - they reorganised the whole company following their last self-defeating act, and the wider market has changed substantially in ways that favour Nintendo)

Not to say criticism isn't warranted, of course; but specifically predicting 2 games for 2023 in the 7 months following Zelda is pretty silly. We've got 6 years (nearly) of data on how many games Nintendo like to publish on Switch, and yes, they publish more than 4 games a year.

Personally I think it's an issue with Nintendo-discourse in general; sometimes people - including content creators and even professional journalists - just don't seem all that well up on how Nintendo operate.

You mean B!t Bl0ck?

I do think you're spot on tbf about discourse around Nintendo. There's an almost irrational assumption they're going to do something terrible/self-defeating. (edit - they reorganised the whole company following their last self-defeating act, and the wider market has changed substantially in ways that favour Nintendo)

Not to say criticism isn't warranted, of course; but specifically predicting 2 games for 2023 in the 7 months following Zelda is pretty silly. We've got 6 years (nearly) of data on how many games Nintendo like to publish on Switch, and yes, they publish more than 4 games a year.

Personally I think it's an issue with Nintendo-discourse in general; sometimes people - including content creators and even professional journalists - just don't seem all that well up on how Nintendo operate.
personally I exaggerate a ton

if I made a full 2023 predictions youtube video it would be unrecognizable from my posts

How do you forget that? It's like 90% of the content he puts out.

Edit: Also who is "that person" we're not mentioning by name?
I'd say 90% would be his reaction and gaming videos. Also the less you know about him, the better.

his unwillingness(at the start) to dump that POS made it easy for me to unfollow his youtube and stop consuming most of his content.
He’s still does videos on the guy’s channel.

And ykw, since we’re just having the most fun time discussing Nintendo YTers I might as well admit that I still watch his stuff on occasion. The vast majority of his content is whatever and his views and takes are ABSOLUTELY abhorrent, but every so often I’ll throw a video of his on for some mindless entertainment.

(It’s honestly pretty easy for me to look past him since he’s kinda just a jerk loser, unless someone has a story to tell that I’m unaware of I’m pretty sure he’s never actually hurt anyone, and it’s not like his viewer base is big enough to actually start any garbage)

Last edited:
He’s still does video’s on the guys channel.

And ykw, since we’re just having the most fun time discussing Nintendo YTers I might as well admit that I still watch his stuff on occasion. The vast majority of his content is whatever and his views and takes are ABSOLUTELY abhorrent, but every so often I’ll throw a video of his on for some mindless entertainment.

(It’s honestly pretty easy for me to look past him since he’s kinda just a jerk loser, unless someone has a story to tell that I’m unaware of I’m pretty sure he’s never actually hurt anyone, and it’s not like his viewer base is big enough to actually start any garbage)
Oh I could've sworn he dumped him. Maybe he just stopped promoting him on socials lmfao. I consume too much youtube/twitch content so there came a point where I had to just straight up ditch creators. If they gave me a reason, I ditched them. Roger gave me a reason, the decision was easy. Same thing with much of gamexplain. I used to watch everything but then that whole shitstorm happened.

He’s still does videos on the guy’s channel.

Just checked BB's channel and I didn't see Roger on his most recent vids, I haven't checked his second channel yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom