• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
pug-what.gif
Super advanced avatar quote

Team January, February... Forget that, it's Zelda year baby! Only five months away, and even closer to the marketing hype starting. And there's no uncertainty about that one. Even if it gets delayed we get a fire Aonuma video out of it, we literally can't lose.

My guesses on the pre Zelda news:

First week of February: general Nintendo Direct
Feb 27: Pokémon Presents
April: Indie World

I don’t think there will be any Zelda specific Direct. Zelda OLED will be a Twitter drop maybe in March or so.

The more I think about it, the more a January Mini/February Zelda Direct combo makes sense. Zelda would work best at a separate event (it would overshadow everything else in a general) and the first party lineup is pretty full (minus a game or two) until June.

What are some possible games we could see at the Direct?

Dragon Quest 12
Dragon Quest 3 Remake
Mass effect trillogy
Batman Arkham games
Resident Evil 4 (cloud)
Prince of Persia
Dying Light 2
Silksong

???

What are the chances that we don't get the first "Official Trailer" for TOTK at this Direct and they pull a "find out who the last Smash fighter is at a later date!"? It's possible, but see if they do that, there's not way that they end with it. So that would have to come somewhere in the middle. You don't open with "Aonuma on a dark screen" and you don't end with it either. Unless he's saying, "Sorry to have kept you waiting for so long, please take a good, long look". But I feel like we're past those days.

I think they there are two options, although I find the first one more likely:
1. Direct starts, BAM straight into the first real, official TOTK trailer. 3 glorious minutes, voice acting, new characters, abilities, enemies, locations, BUT just before it gets the most tantalizing, juicy parts and Ganondorf is about to speak- it ends with him saying one short, menacing line. It then cuts to Aonuma/Koizumi/Takahashi and they say, "How was that? That was just a glimpse, but we'll have even more in a dedicated Zelda TOTK Direct in April."

2. Ends the Direct (again for the 4th time, which is why I find it unlikely), with the same scenario above.

I highly doubt they would ever end a Direct with "tune in later for more info at a game specific Direct" (don't think they ever have). The bigger reason I think they won't end with it again, is because they'll have something new and big to announce, like that new internal DK game or a 2D/3D Mario...or finishing off with just Prime RM- SIKE ACTUALLY ALSO the first actual tease for Prime 4 in seven years since its announcement!

And oh yeah, Direct in early/mid February. That way the wait for the mid April TOTK Direct isn't too long, especially since they'll actually start "gradual" marketing of the game on Twitter AND I also think it's likely they do a Treehouse event of some type directly OR shortly after the Direct, kind of like how the "Sakurai Presents" vids were a couple days later or so (sometimes right after).

What are the chances that we don't get the first "Official Trailer" for TOTK at this Direct and they pull a "find out who the last Smash fighter is at a later date!"? It's possible, but see if they do that, there's not way that they end with it. So that would have to come somewhere in the middle. You don't open with "Aonuma on a dark screen" and you don't end with it either. Unless he's saying, "Sorry to have kept you waiting for so long, please take a good, long look". But I feel like we're past those days.

I think they there are two options, although I find the first one more likely:
1. Direct starts, BAM straight into the first real, official TOTK trailer. 3 glorious minutes, voice acting, new characters, abilities, enemies, locations, BUT just before it gets the most tantalizing, juicy parts and Ganondorf is about to speak- it ends with him saying one short, menacing line. It then cuts to Aonuma/Koizumi/Takahashi and they say, "How was that? That was just a glimpse, but we'll have even more in a dedicated Zelda TOTK Direct in April."

2. Ends the Direct (again for the 4th time, which is why I find it unlikely), with the same scenario above.

I highly doubt they would ever end a Direct with "tune in later for more info at a game specific Direct" (don't think they ever have). The bigger reason I think they won't end with it again, is because they'll have something new and big to announce, like that new internal DK game or a 2D/3D Mario...or finishing off with just Prime RM- SIKE ACTUALLY ALSO the first actual tease for Prime 4 in seven years since its announcement!

And oh yeah, Direct in early/mid February. That way the wait for the mid April TOTK Direct isn't too long, especially since they'll actually start "gradual" marketing of the game on Twitter AND I also think it's likely they do a Treehouse event of some type directly OR shortly after the Direct, kind of like how the "Sakurai Presents" vids were a couple days later or so (sometimes right after).
If they were cool, they would just give a date/window ahead of time in the announcement for a separate Zelda only direct.

Something like "tune in tomorrow for 30 minutes of Direct news. See you next Wednesday at 2:00 for a dedicated Zelda presentation!"

Tbh I don't see a Fire Emblem direct happening. The overview trailer is already out in Japan, so a Direct would not contain any significant new info, which is basically what a Direct is for.

Has Nintendo ever done a presentation the last week of the month? 1st or 2nd week of January seems most likely to me, otherwise February.

This post greatly represents why I also don't belive in the ToTK Direct. Treehouse like presentation is much more fitting to the game itself.

I firmly believe that ToTK will not have a Direct on its own. It's not the type of game that you want to know every tiny detail before buying it, unlike others like Splatoon 2/3, Xenoblade 2/3, Animal Crossing, Mario Maker or Super Smash Bros. If you pay attention, you'll see that the majority of dedicated Directs are about games mainly focused on multiplayer or without a traditional campaign, the only exception being Xenoblade due to the complexity of its sistems.

Nintendo doesn't decide if a game deserves a Direct looking at its importance or scope. Look at games like Mario Oddysey, Luigi's Mansion 3, Metroid Dread, Paper Mario TOK, Bayonetta 3...They clearly weren't any less important than Xenoblade 2 and 3.

The most probably scenario is a full trailer + a Treehouse playing a demo of the early game like what happened with BoTW in E3 2016. But dedicating an entire presentation to the game?I don't see that at all.

It would actually be funny if the General in February ends with Zelda once again, making it for the 4th time. But maybe this ending spot will be reserved for a 3D Mario.

The thing they did in the September 2021 Direct was really good I thought, where they told us in the general one to look forward to specific Directs a bit later. It's a little frustrating in the moment but really it lets other things breathe and just makes the hype keep going. It helps that both the Smash reveal and the Animal Crossing Direct were absolutely legendary.

I still don't believe in a Zelda Direct but I could also understand not wanting a big blowout of that game to overshadow everything else. So a "tune in at this date for information on TotK" thing in the Direct could work. Or just a trailer in the Direct, and a Treehouse thing announced at the same time.

Checking the coming soon page on the eshop, there's some obvious gaps in February, March and beyond. They need filling.

it's been a while, how's everybody doing! haven't posted in months but i thought 2022 was pretty great for switch with kirby, xenoblade, bayo3 (just ignore the story), live a live, triangle strategy and the 2 best pokemon games in years.

im usually team february but i had to vote january this time. feels like a direct would be a great place for an fe engage launch trailer, there are the metroid prime rumors rumbling around and i feel like they have to show zelda sooner rather than later, its out in 4 months.

also feels like they need to have a big game dated for h2 soon, especially with pokemon almost definitely not coming this year, and h1 is hype as hell just based on fire emblem and zelda but the only other stuff they have announced is bayo origins and the kirby remake so they'll hopefully fluff out the april-august calendar

Actually if team January wins it will be the week from January 23th.

Nintendo always love to do promotion for the games that are recently out (the release date week before the Direct).

February 2021 - "Last week, we had a global launch for 3D World + Bowser's Fury game, we hope you enjoyed it."
June 2022 -Partner Showcase, FE: Warriors Three Hopes - "available now". 5 days after it was released.
September 2022 - First post launch Splatfest announced
FE: Engage - January 20th, possible Direct on 24/25th?

It's also good to consider that Nintendo might think that 5 days of spotlight for new mainline FE game isn't enough and they will wait till early February.

What are some possible games we could see at the Direct?

Dragon Quest 12
Dragon Quest 3 Remake
Mass effect trillogy
Batman Arkham games
Resident Evil 4 (cloud)
Prince of Persia
Dying Light 2
Silksong

???
Square has recently trademarked SaGa Emerald Beyond, most likely the new entry in the series. Could be the big jrpg reveal at the next Direct.

Other than that, We Love Katamari remaster should be a lock.

Just don't expect any western made games, western publishers most likely have moved on.

I mean, we Will have a Pokémon Direct and a General Direct in the First two months of the year as always, I believe, especially if there Is no new console on the Horizon. January Is definitely possible, since the marketing for Zelda Will be a long one and there Is no game slated for the Golden week, if I'm not wrong.

People who votes January are the same people who thinks Golden sun or Earthbound will be back

Imagine if we did get a Metroid Direct this month.
Honestly, I could see it being pretty likely
A pretty short direct going over Prime HD for a big look, revealing new Metroid Amiibo, maybe some accessory like a Pro Controller. Then tease for Prime 4. And then a smaller project of some sort.

It's my favourite time of the year:
The annual team February win.
I also expect an announcement in the direct for a zelda direct just like the animal crossing direct.
As far as predictions: we're not getting switch next announcement or a 3d Mario announcement until e3 but I'm still hoping for a 2023 holiday release for both.
As far as closing announcement for the February direct: we're getting the double announcement for metroid prime remastered for April and metroid prime 4 2023 HOPIUM COPIUM

Will Nintendo ride the coat tails of Nintendo Switch and Tears of the Kingdom? In reality they could but I think sales would taper off because most people that want Zelda have purchased a console. With no new console announced (successor or pro) I believe they will need to keep the momentum going. Communication is necessary to convey the message of Nintendo Switch having the latest games I.e direct soon, mini or partner showcase. That they have not abandoned the Switch in favour of a console that has not been announced yet and games are being made to support this system!

TLDR: direct, mini or partner showcase inbound

Was there a direct in 2020 January? I recall a reveal stream for the SwooSh DLC but I do not recall if a direct hovered around that month too.

January: something gets tweeted. Yoshi Learns French or Art Academy or something
February: Pokémon Presents for Pokémon day. They announce DLC and say patches are coming but not ready yet. People are big mad
March: Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom